34 replies to this topic

#1 Magus

Magus

Senior Otaku

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:38 PM

A little bit of topic thievery today.

It is no secret that in the world of manga / anime there are many male characters that have long hair, wear makeup, and some even wear a female top. And some effeminate characters as well. There is a difference between looking like a girl and being effeminate in my opinion. For example, Umichika from Bleach is one of the more effeminate characters ever, and I have no trouble telling that is a guy. There are some that does fall into both categories.

What characters did you at first look either mistake for a girl or had to look twice to be sure?

Posted Image
Akari (Samurai Deeper Kyo) - He hasn't appeared in the anime, at least I don't think he has. (I stopped watching way early) But seeing him in the manga, I swear had they not mentioned that he was a man I wouldn't have ever guessed it.

Posted Image
Souji Okita (Peacemaker) - The way he carries himself in peaceful moments.... If I were never told that he was Okita I would've never guessed it. (I better be on guard with Hakuouki... It's a lot of guys in the series.)

Posted Image
Haku (Naruto) - Don't think I need to say anything here.

Current Avy: Joker
GGXXAC+R - Johnny, Sol Badguy
BBCP - Jin, Hazama

#2 Gavin

Gavin

• Moderators
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

Leonard Testarossa - Full Metal Panic!

Posted Image

No, it's not Tessa... Seriously, it's not.

Tieria Erda - Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Posted Image

Quite a number of the Innovade's count I suppose, Tieria's twin Regene and Healing/Hilling Care.

#3 Magus

Magus

Senior Otaku

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

Tieria Erda - Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Posted Image

Quite a number of the Innovade's count I suppose, Tieria's twin Regene and Healing/Hilling Care.[/size][/font]

When I first saw him I thought he was a guy. However, season 2 I think I walked in and saw him in a dress.... That through me for a loop... I need to finish the 2nd season because I'm still lost with that one lol.

Oh yeah, got another one.

Posted Image
Kamatari the chain-scythe.

O_O

Edited by Rebellion, 03 June 2010 - 03:35 PM.

BBCP - Jin, Hazama

#4 Invader Chelsea

Invader Chelsea

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Gavin

Gavin

• Moderators
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

When I first saw him I thought he was a guy. However, season 2 I think I walked in and saw him in a dress.... That through me for a loop... I need to finish the 2nd season because I'm still lost with that one lol.

True enough, I saw him first in the concept art a mate showed me before 00 aired and figured she just had a slender figure, then came the voice and I was like "Oh, OK male then".

#6 Sangome

Sangome

Senior Otaku

• Members
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:54 PM

Posted Image

Tieria~ I love him so much.

Anyway, I've grown so used to the concept of traps that I'm rarely fooled by them these days [although I will never understand why Japan finds them so dang hilarious]. That said, there is one in fairly recent memory that tripped me up for awhile:

Ion - Tales of the Abyss

Posted Image

Girly, petite figure, girly voice [voiced by Ikue Otani a.k.a. Pikachu in the Japanese version of the game, no less], girly clothes...then they started referring to him with male pronouns. Thankfully, it was early on in the game/anime, so it wasn't a giant bombshell deal later on.

Edited by Vivian, 03 June 2010 - 08:52 PM.

xbskw.png

#7 The Spectacular Professor

The Spectacular Professor

Senior Otaku

• Members
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

Bear with me, this is a video game character.

Posted Image

This adorable little blonde magician-looking girl is named Pierre. He is in Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness and happens to be the resident gourmet and a marriage candidate. Upon seeing his image in the concept art, I was planning to marry him when I got the game. Upon learning his name, I curled up in a corner and shivered for three straight hours.

Edited by gallowsCalibrator, 03 June 2010 - 08:36 PM.

Posted Image
The Adventure Sphere is a blowhard and a coward.

Sangome punts Chibi into the ceiling
Kei left the room. (Logged out)
Sangome: ... I missed

#8 Gavin

Gavin

• Moderators
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:56 PM

Upon seeing his image in the concept art, I was planning to marry him when I got the game. Upon learning his name, I curled up in a corner and shivered for three straight hours.

Bigot. :P

#9 The Spectacular Professor

The Spectacular Professor

Senior Otaku

• Members
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:36 AM

Bigot. :P

Hey, if they included the gay option in IoH (some Harvest Moons do have it) and named him something less masculine, I probably would have never noticed the difference.

Edited by gallowsCalibrator, 04 June 2010 - 12:36 AM.

Posted Image
The Adventure Sphere is a blowhard and a coward.

Sangome punts Chibi into the ceiling
Kei left the room. (Logged out)
Sangome: ... I missed

#10 Humaru

Humaru

Otaku

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:21 AM

Posted Image

Frieza had to be the creepiest villain in all of Dragonball Z except for the first form of Cell(his tail was gross...sucking people dry and opening to swallow androids whole.) Back to Frieza though....the way he spoke, the way he laughed, the way he got mad when things weren't going just fine were all signs pointing towards the fact that he was a woman. Then everyone started referring to him as he and I was just shocked. I was sure he was a woman but I guess I was wrong.

Posted Image

Another character I was mistaken about was Szayel Aporro Granz from Bleach. I thought he was one of those character meant to sound like a male but reveal he was a woman to everyone when he was getting serious. He was very feminine and he left to go change clothes in the middle of a battle....such a girly thing to do in anime. Again I was horribly wrong on this one but Im glad Mayuri put a sword through his head.
Posted Image

#11 Magus

Magus

Senior Otaku

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:29 PM

As I've stated, I stole this thread from another forum and was browsing it today and came across these... I don't know what they're from... Well, here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Creators really have something twisted in their heads.

X_X

Edited by Magus, 13 June 2010 - 04:29 PM.

BBCP - Jin, Hazama

#12 Desbreko

Desbreko

Site Administrator

• Administrators
  • 6,749 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:41 PM

As I've stated, I stole this thread from another forum and was browsing it today and came across these... I don't know what they're from... Well, here.

The first one is from Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu and is actually a running joke throughout the series.

Posted Image

"Des is a magical fountain of wonder" ~Dagger
Posted Image

[ MYANIMELIST | YOUTUBE | TWITCH TV | IMGUR | TWITTER | LAST.FM ]

#13 JaganshiKenshin

JaganshiKenshin

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:27 AM

Kurama of YYH. Until he spoke.

Well, I did turn it on for the first time in the middle of the Gate of Betrayal. And he WAS wearing pink.

Also, though I didn't take Furiza as female, his rage is somehow womanish.
This space under construction

Dr. Inkenstein presents Count Sockula!

#14 araina rinu

araina rinu

• New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:34 AM

another common one i believe would be zoisite from sailor moon... didnt help that in english they actually played him off as a woman.... x_x

aaaand i cant figure out how to put a picture in off the computer.... sorry!

Edited by araina rinu, 22 March 2011 - 01:04 AM.

Posted Image

#15 Carousel

Carousel

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:53 PM

I thought that Anna Respighi, from the anime " Battle Athletes " was a teenage female. But in the third episode of the OAV series, she is invited to bathe together with her female friends. She muses that her mother told her never, NEVER to appear naked before anyone. However, she makes her first exception to the rule, because, as she ponders, " These are my friends, after all ! ". She is betrayed, condemned, and abandoned by all of her female friends when Anna removes her towel and steps into the bathing pool completely naked. Anna unknowingly shows all of the other girls that she was born a genetic male, when her mother has always told her that she was a genetic female, only a little different from every other female !

Here is a picture of Anna Respighi---

http://www.animewall...full_7_1024.php

Edited by Carousel, 04 April 2011 - 10:33 PM.

Everything that I have learned about living my life to the very fullest, came from reading Shoujo manga, and watching Shoujo anime.

#16 Lyndy

Lyndy

Otaku

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:10 PM

Posted Image
Grell from Kuroshitsuji is actually a man. wtf
I know of more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Edited by JeJe, 04 April 2011 - 10:10 PM.

Posted Image

#17 CaNz

CaNz

Senior Otaku

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:51 AM

Attached File  00.jpg   37.04KB   4 downloads
Okay, so he is dressing this way on purpose in the episode, but Tieria from Gundam 00 is definitly a very Girly looking man anyways (hence his ability to fool everyone (except for the person he was supposed to) and it doesn't help that his favorite color is apparently purple.
Posted Image

If you can join them, why would you try to beat them?

#18 rotlung

rotlung

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:12 PM

I was catching up on Air Gear and then i saw this thread.... Had to post this one

[link removed]

Please don't post links to illegal manga viewing or anime streaming sites in the future; we don't need to be held liable for linking to illegal content. ~Sangome

Edited by Sangome, 09 April 2011 - 01:36 PM.

Aren't you afriad to die???

Death is just the next great adventure.

#19 Joey

Joey

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

I think you are all forgetting Mello from Deathnote....

Attached Files

Currently watching: Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Mushi-shi, School Rumble

#20 Morbo

Morbo

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:09 AM

Junior from R.O.D. got me for a bit.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Anime

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users