Photo
- - - - -
Anime

Series you never thought you'd love but wound up loving anyway.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 angelkit14

angelkit14

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:53 PM

Ouran high school host club - I didn't care for the manga but I adore the anime.

Bleach - cause it seemed like I wouldn't like it but I did.

#22 The Mask

The Mask

• New Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:06 AM

Detective Conan - I wasn't a fan of the detective genre in the past, and I thought this show wouldn't make any impact on me. But eventually, the plot led me to take a second look and then fall in love with the series.

Major - I'm not too familiar with the rules of baseball, so I thought I wouldn't care much for this show. But after watching a few episodes of the series, I began to like it for its plot. Eventually, I became a fan, though I still need to understand the game of baseball to appreciate the series better.

Edited by The Mask, 25 November 2010 - 12:06 AM.

Posted Image
Click the pic to take the survey now. (It's only 10 questions.)

#23 Lyndy

Lyndy

Otaku

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

Soul Eater. I never planned on watching it, but so many people were talking about it so I thought I would watch it and I ended up loving it. lol

Posted Image

#24 rotlung

rotlung

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:58 PM

As have already been mentioned
Soul Eater
Toradora
Ippo (the boxing one loved it)
One Piece

I also loved Hunter x Huner. I was on the fence about it cause I thought they were going to hunt monsters.... Gon however was possible one of the best anime characters ever. He is carefree and confindent plus he always seems to get the point that they are testing in all the hunter exams. He also is able to think outside the box and come up with interesting solutions.

The other anime is Intial D. It is kind of old school and I wasn't big into racing anime. This show changed my perpective on cars and Japan's street racing. (I blame Tokyo Drift for my preconcieved notions...) The series was great and it even got me looking at Impreza WRXs when I was looking for a new car....
Aren't you afriad to die???

Death is just the next great adventure.

#25 JamesMay

JamesMay

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:58 AM

Mushishi. Not usually my cup of tea but this series is amazing

One Piece. Looked too childish for my taste but I ended up getting a real kick out of it.

Posted Image

Member of the official OB Evangelion club.

#26 Starwind

Starwind

Senior Otaku

• Members
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:49 AM

Great Teacher Onizuka. I don't know why, but this story just grabbed me. I started watching and I just couldn't stop.
Posted Image

"People have hope, because they cannot see death standing behind them."

~~~~~~~~~Bleach

Special thanks to Ezekiel for Avi and Banner

#27 SarahPatricia

SarahPatricia

• New Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:51 PM

Hmm, Gurren lagann.

I didn't like the first few episodes so I discontinued watching. Then one time, I was watching animax. I wasn't really sure what was airing so I kept watching. Then I was surprised that it was Gurren Lagann. So then, when it aired again, I watched from beginning to end and it once became one of the top animes in MY list. And it still is.

It was epic. 

click my tag to see my profile

Posted Image

Falling down became second nature

and it really didn't bother me.

#28 Magus

Magus

Senior Otaku

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:29 AM

Fairy Tail (Anime) - I won't say that I "love" the series but I do like it now. At first I started out not caring for the series one bit because there were only 2 characters in the series that I actually liked and they weren't enough to hold the manga up, especially with all the similarities to One Piece (which I refuse to watch because it's too ugly and I don't really like the series that much anymore) but I was bored one day and decided to check out the anime, and it actually felt like a new experience. 1st 12 episodes the fights and animation were crap, but afterwards, I won't say it spiked up to like Rurouni Kenshin-like quality but it did get better. Anyway, in the manga the one area that really felt dry were the characters themselves. Outside of Natsu there wasn't anyone that I really hated, but at the same time there was no one that I really liked either (Outside of Erza). Just a boring bunch of characters. In the anime they feel a lot more lively (duh, they have voices lol). You can feel for the characters a lot more in the anime.

Death Note - If you were to check all the series I've seen (and listed as favorites) you'd notice they all have one thing in common. They all have action in them. I'm an action first kind of guy. Story is probably the last thing I look for. The battle of wits is what got me to like this series so much. And I think at the time when I saw this on adult swim I was getting to the point of being fed up with a lot of these series having idiotic characters as main leads. To see people actually use their brain was a breath of fresh air and 1 thing led to another and I was pretty much hooked afterwards. However, the anime is still a disappointment compared to the manga. Anyway, this will probably be the only series without action I'd watch/read.

Current Avy: Joker
GGXXAC+R - Johnny, Sol Badguy
BBCP - Jin, Hazama

#29 ItalyBros_PASTA!

ItalyBros_PASTA!

• New Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:12 PM

As a few have said already, Ouran High School Host Club, I didn't think I'd like it, especially since it's kind of a spoof of the otaku lifestyle, but I really liked it!! It's one of my favorites now, lol!
Posted Image

#30 Dragon Warrior

Dragon Warrior

OB Superstar

• Members
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:09 AM

Here's the big one, guys...

Hamtaro.

I can't count on two hands how many times I ended up watching this on Cartoon Network back in the day. I'd be flipping channels and I always seem to watch television when it was on, so when I landed on it I'd have a gander... and actually stayed. I dunno if I liked it or if there was simply nothing better on, but either way those damn rodents kept me entertained more often than most anime I see on TV these days. The boss hampster was pretty amusing... and their damn "kush kush" catchphrases or whatever...

... needless to say, it's been many, many years since I've seen it. I should remedy that... ya know... for experimentation *cough*

Posted Image
Click Above For Music That's Best Served Sexy.

#31 fujyoshi

fujyoshi

• New Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:00 PM

Didn't think I'd like rozen maiden but I loved it :D Even though I don't keep up wit it I didn't think I'd like one piece but I have one 'a the movies for it now xD Its kinda difficult to keep up wit a 300+ series but funi did do a good job :O I didn't think I'd like deadman wonderland but thats another good series as well xD
Posted Image

notice: incase the person who actually made this sig finds it I'm just gonna say upfront that its not mine and I didn't make it and that the person it was made for was a friend 'a mine. The sig was also formerly a gif in blue but I changed the color to green by personal preference.

#32 jayburnt

jayburnt

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Hell Girl (Jigoku Shoujo)... the second season was the best in my opinion
ps: i love you Ai Enma; if i am to go to hell when i die, i hope that you are the one to take me there lol

Noein: one of those unique shows that just takes your heart away: good story, good characters (it was the character design that made me start watching it... i was looking for something different at the time)

Spice and Wolf: my first initial image of the show and what the show is actually about are 2 totally different things lol; who know intellect could be sexy

#33 Drysi

Drysi

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

Rosario+Vampire:
Oh My God, Rosario+Vampire. Honestly, I still don't have a clue why I like this series so much. The characters are largely shallow, bumbling excuses for human/humanoid representations, the story is pretty standard harem with a cute-but-not-really-clever excuse for one dude being asphyxiated by boobs on a regular basis, and some of the plot points annoy the crap out of me, but GodDAMN if the directional quirks and the occasional original thing it brought to the table didn't get to me. As an ecchi anime, it was the first I'd watched (inb4 everything done by SHAFT) to be openly self-conscious of itself, where it broke the fourth wall regularly towards the later end of its first season. And the art, particularly in the clothing and scenery design department, could at times be downright beautiful; the episode where Ruby was introduced with the sunflower-field backdrop was gooorgeous.
The manga is purported to be 10x better regarding story and character development, but I... Kind of like how bad-depraved the anime is. Guilty pleasure to the MAX0RZ.

Oniisama E/Brother, Dear Brother:
...Don't you make me cry, Riyoko Ikeda. Don't you dare make me cry ;A;

Edited by Drysi, 14 April 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#34 erain0135

erain0135

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

To Aru Majutsu No Index
Slow start and mediocre action cuts.
But it made up with a good plot and sound character development.
yeah, i can say that Index is one of the best series i have seen.
still waiting for season 3 though. >.>

#35 PancakeSyrup

PancakeSyrup

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

Clannad-Because of the genre drama and romance Thought i would hate it but after i watched season 2 It became the best anime i watched.

Air-Because it seemed very boring did not have high ratings First couple episodes seemed bad but turned out to be a great anime.

I just finished watching Clannad and Clannad: After Story. I am more into sci-fi and action when it comes to anime, so I really wasn't interested based on the description, but there was nothing else on. I was blown away by this show. It has some very funny moments, but also some interesting themes, such as family and dealing with change. It makes you think about what's really important to you.

#36 AceOfHearts

AceOfHearts

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

Gundam Seed: I figured it to be just another generic mecha on mecha combat. Which don't get me wrong. I love good fight scenes and just the general energy of the combat, but at the time; I wanted a good storyline and a great love interest. The series surprised me how in depth the world was even on a psychological level. The love interests varied, but the conflict between them was great.

Princess Lover: I thought it would be a generic shojo/harem. Highschool student falls in love with girl and many other girls come into his life and fall in love as well. This one generally surprised me by how instead of it being the average student, it was a kid who came into his grandfather's massive organization. It brought people out of the normal life and into the life of the rich and glamerous. It was a double surprise at the main character wasn't a weak simpleton. He actually had social intelligents as well as being an amazing swordsman. I highly recommend this series.

#37 rweinstein6

rweinstein6

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

I've gotten flack for this, but I love High School of the Dead. With all the panty shots and gratuitous boob-bouncing, I didn't think I'd like it. But come on. Anime AND zombies? That's the best combination. Ever.
Yokai exclusively on Amazon http://goo.gl/EdxTI
Five stars for Yokai: "Fans of manga will find much to enjoy in Yokai, from legends to the paranormal, and the story line never slows down as [Kit] is forced to cope with a world that is not of her making. Thumbs up for Yokai!"

#38 Desbreko

Desbreko

Site Administrator

• Administrators
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:22 AM

I guess the closest thing for me would be Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (aka When They Cry). I usually don't sit down to watch an anime with the thought that I'll dislike it, because why would I watch it in the first place then? (inb4 Sister Princess.) I've watched at least a little from every genre and mostly know what I'll like and what I won't. So, I went into Higurashi not being a fan of horror but still interested in its story, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

"Des is a magical fountain of wonder" ~Dagger
Posted Image

[ MYANIMELIST | YOUTUBE | TWITCH TV | IMGUR | TWITTER | LAST.FM ]

#39 seed28

seed28

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

an anime i never thought id like was Fullmetal Alchemist but i watched it any way since my cousin watched it....and thus my 1st crush....(dont u dare laugh) Edward..:)

#40 gaetzan

gaetzan

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica- At first i thought that it was an anime only for children because of the name and the first episode. but after watching 2-3 episode i found out that it is much darker than i first thought,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Anime

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users