OtakuBoards

OB Ideas

James

OB Blog  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a dedicated OB Blog?

• Yes, I would use an OB Blog.
    • Yes, but only if it has better features than theOtaku's Worlds.
    • Yes, but only if I can import my blog posts from my existing (external) blog.
    • No, I have a blog and I'm happy with it.
    • No, I'm happy with my World at theOtaku.
    • No, not interested in blogging.

[font="Palatino Linotype"]The aim of this topic is very simple: if you have any idea about a way to improve OB (no matter how small or large, how crazy or how simple) you can post it here.

I know that we use this entire forum for these ideas, but sometimes you may not want to go to the effort of creating a whole new topic for your idea, especially if it's just a small suggestion.

I'm definitely open to anything that could be suggested and although I can't promise we will follow up every single thing, I can tell you that I will be paying a lot of attention and I'll be keenly looking at what members have to say.

So please feel free to post anything in here, including questions. And again, feel free to be as far out with your ideas as you like - if you think there's something we aren't covering or catering to well enough, please suggest it here. Or if we should be paying attention to something totally new or changing the way we do things, you can also suggest it here. :)

(By the way, the poll on this topic might change once these current results are in).[/font]

[quote name='�°°' timestamp='1307002069' post='707785']
If we could indeed toss feeds in there of things like Twitter or our podcast things, that'd be ultra grand! :^D
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]Can you give me an idea of what the feed would look like? Even a really basic mock-up would be good. I agree that we need a better way of presenting the podcast, other than just a network link at the top of the page.[/font]

I think a slightly better advanced search would be helpful.
My only real issue is with all three letter words being banned, it gets difficult to find things. If I was looking for The Cat in The Hat for instance, It would be impossible. Perhapse words like "a", "An", "and", "the", "to" and other simple words would clog up results, but I think those should be individually banned. If time was taken to ban those individual words, searching could be much more effective, especially searching with quotes since the word phrases need to be exact.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='CaNz' timestamp='1307149838' post='707832']
My only real issue is with all three letter words being banned, it gets difficult to find things. If I was looking for The Cat in The Hat for instance, It would be impossible. Perhapse words like "a", "An", "and", "the", "to" and other simple words would clog up results, but I think those should be individually banned. If time was taken to ban those individual words, searching could be much more effective, especially searching with quotes since the word phrases need to be exact.
[/quote]
I was just looking for a few words of which one was an uncommon three letter word. I wasn't allowed to search because of that one word with less than four letters. :S Too bad shizzle.

Oh and the feed could be anything really. If it would just go straight into the blog itself, so that it would turn all separate blogs into one, that'd be really fine already. Especially if you could still see the difference clearly enough.

[quote name='CaNz' timestamp='1307149838' post='707832']
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]Try running the search now and see how you go. I've reviewed the settings and I've made a change that will affect this - but it's not a permanent change. I want to see what sort of impact it has first.

Unfortunately it looks like we can not block specific words from the search engine though. So that will make things a bit tricky.[/font]

[quote name='James' timestamp='1309144440' post='708143']
[font="palatino linotype"]Try running the search now and see how you go. [/font]
[/quote]
Thanks for looking at it James, It really is much easier for me to search now. It was possible to get around the three and lower ban by only typing the words in a title that are fiour and up... (I used to do this a lot) but it would unusually make searches take forever.

It sucks that certain words can't be banned... but wit the quoting option even words like the and and can still be added without making the search pull up thousands of f threads.

[quote name='CaNz' timestamp='1309162746' post='708156']
Thanks for looking at it James, It really is much easier for me to search now. It was possible to get around the three and lower ban by only typing the words in a title that are fiour and up... (I used to do this a lot) but it would unusually make searches take forever.

It sucks that certain words can't be banned... but wit the quoting option even words like the and and can still be added without making the search pull up thousands of f threads.
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]Yeah, I think there are probably enough modifiers to allow people to search without getting heaps of irrelevant junk coming up.

Although I really think I prefer the IPB software to Virtual Bulletin, I occasionally come across funny little things like this where there just isn't a good option. The language censor is a great example of that - we used to be able to apply the censor on a per-forum basis. I don't think we have that capability now.

In any case, I'm glad this helps. Thanks for raising it in the first place - this is why I'm really keen for members to provide feedback on even tiny things. I really never use the search feature myself, so it is therefore likely that I will miss this type of thing. [/font]

• 2 weeks later...
[color="#008080"][size="3"][font="Times New Roman"]Don't know if this was suggested before, but do you think it would be possible to delete comments that we make on someone else profile? I make mistakes when typing a comment and don't fix it before sending it. And I realize that only the person who's profile I am commenting on can delete the comment. I would like it if we could delete our own comments. :sweatdrop: If that's not possible, it's fine. I was just wondering. ^ ^;

And I just noticed this may be in the wrong place. woops. > >; Hopefully it will be fine here.[/font][/size][/color] Edited by Elle Jay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
[quote name='dark_apocalyps' timestamp='1314188358' post='709058']
I would like HTML support in the Anthology. :wow:
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]What happens when you try using HTML? Have you applied the HTML BB tags before and after the HTML code?

(i.e. you'd type "[HTML]your HTML code here[/*HTML]" - without the quotes and the asterisk)

We already have HTML set to "Yes" for Anthology and all the user groups are allowed to use it (as confirmed on the Admin CP). Let me know what happens. :)[/font]

[font=verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Oh that could be the problem. I didn't know that was supposed to be done because it's not necessary in the Arena I think. :D I'll try.<br /><br />[/size][/font]
[font=verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif][size=2]
[/size][/font]
[font=verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif][size=2]UPDATE: Nah, it only shows the html code then. In any case my whole internet is being an ass lately because gmail wont load, OB is constantly showing me messed up HTML code when I do stuff, (LIKE THOSE BREAK CODES WHEN I EDIT THINGS) it won't let me easily do the ctrl+B thing for bold. Stuff like that.[/size][/font][font=verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif][size=2] [/size][/font]
[font="verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif"][size="2"]
[/size][/font]
[font="verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif"][size="2"][b]UPDATE: [/b] SO. Still not doing much ^_^[/size][/font]

[color=#4B0082]The HTML bb tag is for displaying HTML code without any of it being parsed. It's not for actually using HTML.

I'm guessing this is the problem:

[URL=http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/4977/obhtmloff.jpg][IMG]http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/4977/obhtmloff.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/color]