• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Petie

Petie

Site Manager

• Administrators
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

Hello all. As I mentioned in the announcement at the top of the page, there was a bit of data lost during the transition. If you're reading this today, you've likely noticed that most (if not all, depending on when you see this) of the forums haven't been posted in since December 2011. This is a result of losing the database entries from January 1, 2012 through the time OB was taken offline. Let me explain.

As many of you probably know, theOtaku was attacked by a virus a few weeks ago. It turns out that there was a security hole in the older version of the forum software we were using here and the virus was able to infect the main server through the forum. In an effort to stop and remove the virus, we decided to completely delete the files for OtakuBoards from the server so that it could not continue to infect the site. I backed up the database and files and then proceeded to delete everything.

In my haste, I deleted the database for OB as well as the files. In hindsight, there was really no need to delete the physical data as it was an infected PHP file that was the cause of the issue. However, I was rushing to try to prevent further issues with theOtaku and wasn't thinking clearly. Unfortunately, my backup had timed out and only captured a tiny portion of the data from OB - nowhere near enough to complete the transition.

So, I asked Adam if he had a backup. Luckily, he did - one from January 1 of this year. We owe him and his network admin a great deal of thanks for finding, exporting, and sending me this backup (as well as purchasing us a new home ^_^) so I could get the forums back online. In the end, we only lost about two months of data during a fairly inactive time here so there's not a ton missing but I still very much regret that loss and I am sincerely sorry for letting it happen. I have since taken measures to ensure that our database is backed up regularly, just in case.

P.S. If you're curious why it took so long to get OB back online, it was because I had to set this server up from scratch (which meant learning quite a bit about Linux - a process I actually enjoyed), deal with issues in the software install and upgrades, and then wait for skins to be ready (or almost ready, as the case is now). The skin you're looking at for the time being is the default skin with our logo stuck back on top. As soon as our real skins are updated, I'll get them back up. This is also your chance to ask for color swaps on the simpler of the two skins since I'm going to be toying with the visual style editor!

#2 Sangome

Sangome

Senior Otaku

• Members
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

I don't think this is as much of a bug as it is the way the layout is coded, but the 150 x 80 avatars are cropped down to what I'm guessing is 100 x 100 or lower now. I'll live if it can't be messed with, but I thought I'd just point it out.

Oh, and Microsoft Sans Serif is no longer a font option. I miss it 'cause it's my main font type. :( But Trebuchet MS isn't bad, either.

Also, for layout colors, purple. We need more purple.

Edited by Sangome, 21 March 2012 - 04:51 PM.

xbskw.png

#3 Boo

Boo

OB Superstar

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Wicked, new software to check out! We're proud of you, overlord Petie.

Posted Image

#4 SOL

SOL

• Moderators
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

I love this new forum software, dude. This is very sleek. At first I was like.... "is this Facebook".

Can't wait to see what else we can do.
Korey: It's all Bro-love. Ace is my brother.
Moletta: Bromance
Korey: no-no. I'm not looking for a serious brolationship
CaNz: too many bronouns

Posted Image

#5 Shwa

Shwa

Otaku

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

I dolike the new color outline and formatiing for the forum. Sucks that some of the information was lost in the Theater (especially my RP and the work the posters and myself put into it), but it happens so we move on from there. But anyways, glad to have the boards back, not too shabby of a change, iLike! :D

~Shwa
Posted Image

"When life gives you lemons...throw them at someone"

"Cry when you are sad, when there are no more tears, the world will still go on"

#6 Darks Anthro

Darks Anthro

Otaku

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

So the RP I was actually really getting into is gone. That sucks. It was really starting to take off.

2agsvs.jpg

#7 Japan

Japan

Senior Otaku

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:40 AM

This is way better than that wet paint skin.

This spot is forever devoted to Charles

Posted Image

#8 The Spectacular Professor

The Spectacular Professor

Senior Otaku

• Members
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

I notice there's no readily apparent link back to the mothership (which is evidently still hiccuping from the server shift right now) on the front page yet. Just thought I'd bring that up, since I'm an unholy lazy creature of habit and like to use OB as the back door, so to speak.

Posted Image
The Adventure Sphere is a blowhard and a coward.

Sangome punts Chibi into the ceiling
Kei left the room. (Logged out)
Sangome: ... I missed

#9 Cat

Cat

Gold Star Otaku Jeopardy Champion Gold Star

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:06 AM

This probably something you know about but I just thought I mention it anyways. The email notifications is kind of mess with code. Its not really a big deal cause the links all work. Its just a bit distracting.

Edited by Cat, 22 March 2012 - 03:09 AM.

I am not strange, I am just not normal. --Salvador Dali

Posted Image

We exponents of horror do much better than those method actors. We make the unbelievable believable. More often than not, they make the believable unbelievable.--Vincent Price

#10 PWNED

PWNED

Senior Otaku

• Members
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:11 AM

Slick new design for the boards. Bit of a bugger that some stuff was lost but this happens sometimes.

#11 CaNz

CaNz

Senior Otaku

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

I am just glad OB is back up... I was going through forum withdrawls.
Posted Image

If you can join them, why would you try to beat them?

#12 Petie

Petie

Site Manager

• Administrators
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

I notice there's no readily apparent link back to the mothership (which is evidently still hiccuping from the server shift right now) on the front page yet. Just thought I'd bring that up, since I'm an unholy lazy creature of habit and like to use OB as the back door, so to speak.

I was trying to figure out the best place to put it. The default location (where it is now, since I added it back in) is at the top and I think I like it there but I'm not positive. Your thoughts?

This probably something you know about but I just thought I mention it anyways. The email notifications is kind of mess with code. Its not really a big deal cause the links all work. Its just a bit distracting.

I didn't actually know about that. Mind posting the contents of one of those notifications so I can take a look? Thanks!

#13 Boo

Boo

OB Superstar

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

Also, I am totally digging the options for sorting the topics. I wanted to ask about that right when the forum went down. Ha.

Allamorph, I would argue with your post but there is no way I am wading through all of that. If you need to type that much to prove your point, you are obviously making stuff up.

Edited by Boo, 22 March 2012 - 07:36 AM.

Posted Image

#14 Japan

Japan

Senior Otaku

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

<strong>Japan,</strong>

Boo has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "OB Transition and Data Loss".
<div class='callout'>
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, I am totally digging the options for sorting the topics. I wanted to ask about that right when the forum went down. Ha.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
</div>
The topic can be found here: http://www.otakuboar...ta-loss/unread/

If you have configured in your control panel to receive immediate topic reply notifications, you may receive an
email for each reply made to this topic.  Otherwise, only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic.
This is to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox.

<div class='unsub'>You can unsubscribe at any time here: http://www.otakuboar...LmNvbQ,,/</div>

Posted Image

#15 Petie

Petie

Site Manager

• Administrators
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:37 AM

Thanks, Japan. I'll follow this topic as well and find out if I'm seeing the same thing. I'm not sure if the server is improperly sending HTML in the message or if whatever you're using to view the message doesn't support HTML but we'll get to the bottom of this one way or another.

#16 Boo

Boo

OB Superstar

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

YES, BIG AVATARSZZZZZZ

Posted Image

#17 Japan

Japan

Senior Otaku

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

I use gmail so HTML is usually never a problem.

Posted Image

#18 Petie

Petie

Site Manager

• Administrators
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

Hmm... definitely something on the server side then. I'll look into it. Thanks!

#19 Desbreko

Desbreko

Site Administrator

• Administrators
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

I don't think this is as much of a bug as it is the way the layout is coded, but the 150 x 80 avatars are cropped down to what I'm guessing is 100 x 100 or lower now. I'll live if it can't be messed with, but I thought I'd just point it out.

Avatars work a little differently than before. Instead of having separate avatars for the postbit (which we could control the max dimensions for) and square profile pictures for other stuff, it now uses the same image for both and crops/scales it as needed to fit the space allowed in each place it's used. I tweaked the postbit setting to allow avatars up to 150 px wide to be displayed without being cropped, so all our old avatars would still work, but that seems to be the only option related to this.

"Des is a magical fountain of wonder" ~Dagger
Posted Image

[ MYANIMELIST | YOUTUBE | TWITCH TV | IMGUR | TWITTER | LAST.FM ]

#20 Darks Anthro

Darks Anthro

Otaku

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

I was freaking out when OB went down! I just started getting back to forum based RP due to the amount of let's say..."people"
on some chat site I rp on are not really smart. So even though it's a really big bummer that the data from 1/1/12 till the servers went down are gone. But I can tell you why the site wasn't so busy durning that time. Winter was ending and spring was starting. People are getting the spring fever and kids had exams to do. Very stressful exams.

Just a suggesting Pete. I would back OB on a back up server incase of another attack or problem. Keepin it off the local and world network. Backing the data every week or so. That would be my idea.

2agsvs.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users