OtakuBoards

OB Transition and Data Loss

Petie

[color=#0000ff]Hello all. As I mentioned in the announcement at the top of the page, there was a bit of data lost during the transition. If you're reading this today, you've likely noticed that most (if not all, depending on when you see this) of the forums haven't been posted in since December 2011. This is a result of losing the database entries from January 1, 2012 through the time OB was taken offline. Let me explain.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]As many of you probably know, theOtaku was attacked by a virus a few weeks ago. It turns out that there was a security hole in the older version of the forum software we were using here and the virus was able to infect the main server through the forum. In an effort to stop and remove the virus, we decided to completely delete the files for OtakuBoards from the server so that it could not continue to infect the site. I backed up the database and files and then proceeded to delete everything.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]In my haste, I deleted the database for OB as well as the files. In hindsight, there was really no need to delete the physical data as it was an infected PHP file that was the cause of the issue. However, I was rushing to try to prevent further issues with theOtaku and wasn't thinking clearly. Unfortunately, my backup had timed out and only captured a tiny portion of the data from OB - nowhere near enough to complete the transition.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]So, I asked Adam if he had a backup. Luckily, he did - one from January 1 of this year. We owe him and his network admin a great deal of thanks for finding, exporting, and sending me this backup (as well as purchasing us a new home ^_^) so I could get the forums back online. In the end, we only lost about two months of data during a fairly inactive time here so there's not a ton missing but I still very much regret that loss and I am sincerely sorry for letting it happen. I have since taken measures to ensure that our database is backed up regularly, just in case.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]P.S. If you're curious why it took so long to get OB back online, it was because I had to set this server up from scratch (which meant learning quite a bit about Linux - a process I actually enjoyed), deal with issues in the software install and upgrades, and then wait for skins to be ready (or almost ready, as the case is now). The skin you're looking at for the time being is the default skin with our logo stuck back on top. As soon as our real skins are updated, I'll get them back up. This is also your chance to ask for color swaps on the simpler of the two skins since I'm going to be toying with the visual style editor![/color]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#9900ff]I don't think this is as much of a bug as it is the way the layout is coded, but the 150 x 80 avatars are cropped down to what I'm guessing is 100 x 100 or lower now. I'll live if it can't be messed with, but I thought I'd just point it out[/color][/font].

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#9900FF]Oh, and Microsoft Sans Serif is no longer a font option. I miss it 'cause it's my main font type. :( But Trebuchet MS isn't bad, either.[/color][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#9900FF]Also, for layout colors, purple. We need more purple.[/color][/font] Edited by Sangome

I dolike the new color outline and formatiing for the forum. Sucks that some of the information was lost in the Theater (especially my RP and the work the posters and myself put into it), but it happens so we move on from there. But anyways, glad to have the boards back, not too shabby of a change, iLike! :D

~Shwa

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]I notice there's no readily apparent link back to [url="http://www.theotaku.com/"]the mothership[/url][/font] [font=comic sans ms,cursive](which is evidently still hiccuping from the server shift right now) on the front page yet. Just thought I'd bring that up, since I'm an unholy lazy creature of habit and like to use OB as the back door, so to speak.[/font]

This probably something you know about but I just thought I mention it anyways. The email notifications is kind of mess with code. Its not really a big deal cause the links all work. Its just a bit distracting. Edited by Cat

[quote name='The Professor' timestamp='1332402362' post='710842']
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]I notice there's no readily apparent link back to [url="http://www.theotaku.com/"]the mothership[/url][/font] [font=comic sans ms,cursive](which is evidently still hiccuping from the server shift right now) on the front page yet. Just thought I'd bring that up, since I'm an unholy lazy creature of habit and like to use OB as the back door, so to speak.[/font]
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]I was trying to figure out the best place to put it. The default location (where it is now, since I added it back in) is at the top and I think I like it there but I'm not positive. Your thoughts?[/color]

[quote name='Cat' timestamp='1332403601' post='710843']
This probably something you know about but I just thought I mention it anyways. The email notifications is kind of mess with code. Its not really a big deal cause the links all work. Its just a bit distracting.
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]I didn't actually know about that. Mind posting the contents of one of those notifications so I can take a look? Thanks![/color]

Also, I am totally digging the options for sorting the topics. I wanted to ask about that right when the forum went down. Ha.

[quote=Charles][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Allamorph, I would argue with your post but there is no way I am wading through all of that. If you need to type that much to prove your point, you are obviously making stuff up.[/font][/color][/quote] Edited by Boo

<strong>Japan,</strong>

Boo has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "OB Transition and Data Loss".
<div class='callout'>
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, I am totally digging the options for sorting the topics. I wanted to ask about that right when the forum went down. Ha.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
</div>
The topic can be found here: http://www.otakuboards.com/index.php?/topic/45267-ob-transition-and-data-loss/unread/

If you have configured in your control panel to receive immediate topic reply notifications, you may receive an
email for each reply made to this topic.  Otherwise, only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic.
This is to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox.

<div class='unsub'>You can unsubscribe at any time here: http://www.otakuboards.com/index.php?/unsubscribe/Zm9ydW1zO3RvcGljczs0NTI2NzsxNTM7MTUzO0xhc3V6YW5hQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ,,/</div>

[color=#0000ff]Thanks, Japan. I'll follow this topic as well and find out if I'm seeing the same thing. I'm not sure if the server is improperly sending HTML in the message or if whatever you're using to view the message doesn't support HTML but we'll get to the bottom of this one way or another.[/color]

[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1332366570' post='710820'][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#9900ff]I don't think this is as much of a bug as it is the way the layout is coded, but the 150 x 80 avatars are cropped down to what I'm guessing is 100 x 100 or lower now. I'll live if it can't be messed with, but I thought I'd just point it out[/color][/font].[/quote]

[color=#4B0082]Avatars work a little differently than before. Instead of having separate avatars for the postbit (which we could control the max dimensions for) and square profile pictures for other stuff, it now uses the same image for both and crops/scales it as needed to fit the space allowed in each place it's used. I tweaked the postbit setting to allow avatars up to 150 px wide to be displayed without being cropped, so all our old avatars would still work, but that seems to be the only option related to this.[/color]

I was freaking out when OB went down! I just started getting back to forum based RP due to the amount of let's say..."people"
on some chat site I rp on are not really smart. So even though it's a really big bummer that the data from 1/1/12 till the servers went down are gone. But I can tell you why the site wasn't so busy durning that time. Winter was ending and spring was starting. People are getting the spring fever and kids had exams to do. Very stressful exams.

Just a suggesting Pete. I would back OB on a back up server incase of another attack or problem. Keepin it off the local and world network. Backing the data every week or so. That would be my idea.

Hmm. I can't seem to find any options for how to view the posting editor. Found a whole slew of notification options (which is pretty spiffy), but nothing on actual posting.

Also this board seems to be interpretting Calibri font in a peculiar manner. Am I going to have to go back to Arial? =P

---

Hmm. Seems that manual font tags work, but only for the paragraph they start on. Double-space down and you have to add them back again. Is there a way to see the tags without WYSIWIG so I can start to follow their format?
Edited by Allamorph

[quote name='dragoonreaper' timestamp='1332446476' post='710870']
I was freaking out when OB went down! I just started getting back to forum based RP due to the amount of let's say..."people"
on some chat site I rp on are not really smart. So even though it's a really big bummer that the data from 1/1/12 till the servers went down are gone. But I can tell you why the site wasn't so busy durning that time. Winter was ending and spring was starting. People are getting the spring fever and kids had exams to do. Very stressful exams.

Just a suggesting Pete. I would back OB on a back up server incase of another attack or problem. Keepin it off the local and world network. Backing the data every week or so. That would be my idea.
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]I actually have a script backing up the database daily and keeping 10 days worth of backups automatically. My plan is to edit that script to auto-copy those backups to my own server as well, also keeping 10 days worth.[/color]

[quote name='Allamorph' timestamp='1332447568' post='710871']
[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][font=Calibri]Hmm. I can't seem to find any options for how to view the posting editor. Found a whole slew of notification options (which is pretty spiffy), but nothing on actual posting.

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][font=Calibri]Also this board seems to be interpretting Calibri font in a peculiar manner. Am I going to have to go back to Arial? =P[/font][/font][/font]

---

[font=Calibri]Hmm. Seems that manual font tags work, but only for the paragraph they start on. Double-space down and you have to add them back again. Is there a way to see the tags without WYSIWIG so I can start to follow their format?[/font][/font][/size]
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]Yes. While it doesn't seem like there is any way (admin or user side) to permanently turn off the WYSIWYG editor any more (someone let me know if you can find that option, just in case), there is a much more convenient way to handle this now. The top left button of the editor - the little light switch - enables and disables the advanced editing features. Simply click it and you'll get a BB code source view. Click it again to return to the normal editor.[/color]

[quote name='Boo' timestamp='1332447939' post='710872']
I saw the announcement for half a second and then it disappeared. :'(
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]Which announcement was that?[/color]

[color=#0000ff]---[/color]

[color=#0000ff]Also, I may have fixed the email issue. I got one with no HTML visible in it. Japan, can you confirm?[/color]

[quote name='Petie'][color=#0000ff]Yes. While it doesn't seem like there is any way (admin or user side) to permanently turn off the WYSIWYG editor any more (someone let me know if you can find that option, just in case), there is a much more convenient way to handle this now. The top left button of the editor - the little light switch - enables and disables the advanced editing features. Simply click it and you'll get a BB code source view. Click it again to return to the normal editor.[/color][/quote]

[FONT=Calibri]Interesting. Totally didn't see that a few minutes ago. I'll fiddle with it more later.[/FONT]