OtakuBoards

Rock Out, Mosh Out, Scream 'Til You're Hoarse

Allamorph

Last night I was at the Judas Priest concert in Tacoma, for their Redeemer of Souls tour, and I had an absolute blast. Managed to get ticket on the floor, got in early enough (despite a stupidly-placed accident where, like, five highways merge together) to get basically right up front, and ... yeah. I have no voice today.

Well. I do have a voice, but it's stupid low. Everyone I've talked to says I sound a) horrible; or b) like the radio announcer for Jazz 89.

But the whole night was full of awesome. Started out when I was heading into the Dome through the General Admission area, and surrounding the line of people heading in were small clumps of people armed with picket signs, all of which read some version of the idea that All Have Sinned (which is, you know, a valid point) and that we were all going to Hell (which is, you know, mighty dadgum presumptuous, seeing as I have been saved for 20 years, which is most of my life, and I will be attending a Judas Priest concert if I damn well please thankyouverymuch). This, of course, was prompting a volley of raucous retorts back at them, including at one point a defiant "WE WORSHIP THE DEVIL!!", followed almost immediately by a more moderate and pacifying "We don't all worship the Devil," which I found extraordinarily entertaining.

And then an older gentleman in a wheelchair rolled up past the line, looked at everyone yelling, looked at me, and said, "I don't know what all you young folk are so worked up over. This brings back memories for me. What's a Priest concert without bible-thumpers hollering at us?" He then rolled on to ticket-check, and I burst out laughing.

A group called Steel Panther opened for Priest. This group is basically a smashup of Glam Rock, shredder metal, Van Halen, and Zoolander, and they know it. Their bassistâ??who is, like, 90% Duck Face and took frequent pauses for hair sprayâ??was described by their guitarist as either the foxiest man on the planet or the reincarnation of Farrah Fawcett, and they played high-brow charts such as Asian Hooker, The Shocker, and 17 Girls In A Row. Didn't take themselves seriously at all, except for the fact that they can freaking play, and they did a fantastic job as the opening act.

And then Priest came on stage and brought down the house.

The knot of people around me, near the left front of the stage, ranged in age from probably just barely legal (couple of gals) to some guys in their late fifties, and all of us were rocking out hardcore. I also managed to snag several photos on my phone; the best one is right here.

10404208_10100386912202168_2883915216232

That is Richie Faulkner, who saw me with my phone up, aimed directly at me, and held the post until I threw him a fist, which he returned and then went to the other side of the stage.

So. Where do you go for concerts, OB? Who do you scream for? What kind of crazy crap happens to you? I want to know.

Hehehe, Steel Panther. My room mate's in a band kind of like it.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWv_BGZ6WQI[/video] 

Seen a few of their shows in the past years, of course. Pretty awesome. One time they supported Bam Margera's Fuckface Unstoppable. I took pictures there, as well: Click me.

But for the rest I've recently been at some Glen Hansard gigs and stuff. And stuff.

Edited by Boo

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been to a concert in so long. I've actually performed in more concerts this year than I've been an audience member. Did I even go to any shows at all this year? I honestly can't remember.

WAIT I LIED, I literally just saw Trans-Siberian Orchestra the other night. Tenth year in a row going to their concert! Skipped two of my own performances to make it. WORTH IT.

There are tons of venues around here, including four or five arenas, several performing arts centers, and a handful of bars and clubs. I prefer going to smaller venues but it's rare that I feel like paying $10 and trying to down a PBR to enjoy someone I've probably never heard before (even though there's a 90% chance I will enjoy it no matter what). 

I just bought tickets to see Neutral Milk Hotel a bridge over in May and I am stoked about that. Loved them since I was a freshman in college, and I figured with how elusive they are I'd never get a chance to see them play. I might also go see Kevin Devine when he plays near my city in February because one of my favorite musicians, Laura Stevenson, is opening for him. 

• 1 month later...

Hehehe, Steel Panther. My room mate's in a band kind of like it.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWv_BGZ6WQI[/video] 

Seen a few of their shows in the past years, of course. Pretty awesome. One time they supported Bam Margera's Fuckface Unstoppable. I took pictures there, as well: Click me.

But for the rest I've recently been at some Glen Hansard gigs and stuff. And stuff.

That was so strange. `'^_^

WAIT I LIED, I literally just saw Trans-Siberian Orchestra the other night. Tenth year in a row going to their concert! Skipped two of my own performances to make it. WORTH IT.

Really?! omg I want to see them so bad!

I go to random rock/metal gigs around my area, but they mostly suck. That's what local metal bands do, right? So the best gig I've been at lately worth mentioning was probably Karnivool, and then there was a gig by Nine Inch Nails some time ago, which was pretty epic. The lightning and staging on that one was great. 

Edited by Metal Hazard