OtakuBoards

Not a thread about Soul Eater

CaNz

NOT Soul Eater

this review has some general spoilers

This anime drove me a bit insane. I loved the original Soul Eater, and the atmosphere and world it took place in but NOT was different. I was totally tricked when I watched it. The original started off as a creepy action anime, and when things got dark I really was into it. NOT however started off as a super cute and pretty funny slice of life anime using the awesome SE setting. When it got dark I was thrown for a loop.

When you have a mood set for happy, childhood friendship building and self advancement, taking those same characters and throwing them into hell is just crule. I kinda put this in the same catagory as Madoka, But less constant dispare and slightly less brutal (Both shows made me have to pause and leave just to process what was shown at times.)

With that said, anything able to draw out that kinda emotion has got to be a fantastic story. I really liked it, even if it tugged to hard on the heartstrings at times.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh! ^_^ I have been meaning to watch this, but I have so much to catch up on it's insane. I'm happy to hear some good feedback about it. I was a bit skeptical yet excited when I saw it available on my streaming. I loved Soul Eater but the first few episodes were super annoying. I had actually given up on it because PUMPKIN PUMPKIN PUMPKIN drove me insane. 

I get a little paranoid sometimes when I'm watching super cute anime with talented story writing because I find myself wondering if something really dramatic is about to happen and then relieved that the writing stays consistent. For example, when a supporting character gets rejected by her crush and the school ends up hating her you wonder if she'd do something tragic but then... they all make up and become friends and you're like "OH THANK GOD SHE'S STILL ALIVE". 

With that being said, I'm looking forward to watching NOT even more now. Thank you!! ^_^ 

Glad I could help! 

Soul Eater does have some warm up time before it gets good. The early episodes kinda run through the characters personalities and overemphasize their quirks. Later on its less prevalent so if you stick with it the annoyance factor decreases... though the catwitch is pretty much just fan-service and never gets much better (but also has very little airtime) 

Not is much shorter, and you could probably watch it first if you wanted since its a prequel and doesn't spoil anything, but you won't enjoy the cameos if you don't watch  the original. 

For me when they build up suspense I always still cling to the belief that everything will work out in the end, so when they do something tragic I am like,"WHY DID YOU DO THAT! I TRUSTED YOU i~i"