OtakuBoards

Tweet-sized roleplaying

Awesome!

I think it actually sounds challenging. I am on here a few times per day now, but most people log on once per day, and skip from time to time. Even though people could post whenever they log in, it would take weeks for even a basic story to unfold, and it would be a mash up of all our writing styles. 

I won't run from the challenge though. I would suggest keeping the story simple yet flexible, like a dungeon crawler, or a murder mystery.

Prepare for the irony of an extended response about a tiny RPG...

Overall, it's a tricky concept. There is a considerable argument about brevity being the soul of wit, and it is possible to craft a compelling narrative in a very small number of words or characters - for example, see the six-word story famously (but possible inaccurately) attributed to Ernest Hemingway ('For sale: baby shoes, never worn'). Similarly, there is certainly a benefit to keeping things short, as it encourages consistent posting and doesn't take a great deal of effort to contribute to a larger story, although it does take considerable thought to write something that is both concise and interesting.

However, as you'll see if you go back into the annals of OtakuBoards RPGs, there has been a shift away from very short posts, to the point that they are largely frowned upon in most RPGs these days. After all, while there is an argument for brevity being the soul of wit, there is a counter-argument that if you have nothing interesting or constructive to say, you're better off saying nothing at all. It's extraordinarily challenging to make something that is both interesting and worthwhile in such a small number of words or characters, and is such a big step away from what people are used to around these parts that running it would likely either become frustrating or completely unmanageable very quickly. So while it may not seem like it will be a big investment in time, you may well find that it takes up a lot more of your mind-space than you would expect.

Basically, if you feel like you have the patience and the writing skill to pull something like this off, then I say more power to you! But I would advise against jumping into because it seems easy and straightforward, as it will likely fizzle before gaining any real traction.

Sounds lazy

Sounds more like a challenge to me than any standard "omg the world is doomed and my character is an orphan and now I will write entire mega posts about being some kind of asshole who has trouble with emotions" RPG that I have seen bucketloads of. 

I think it would be a fun experiment. Why not try it out? If it doesn't work than then no harm, no foul; but if does, then it would serve as a fun alternative to standard roleplaying and could prove a viable new means of RPing on the boards. I agree with both CaNz and Boo that at the very least it would be a challenging exercise.

But I would heed DeLarge's advice. For something like this to work, I think the right conditions must exist-- a cohesive vision for the story and frequent collaboration between party members, for example. But I'd be down to try.

Thanks for all the feedback! I think your concerns make sense, but I didn't plan on running or managing anything. I think RPGs should be something people enjoy for themselves, and not necessarily under somebody's reign. :) But I understand!

If people would choose to go for an I-perspective a twitterfeed thing would actually work. I guess it is very ordinary for people to post multiple tweets in case they have something big to say, right?

I can see why you wouldn't want to manage other people and stifle their creativity, but this whole cocept is about getting the most out of a very suppresive format. You forcing a congruent theme between points isn't going to hurt. Plus if you don't try and make your idea a reality, who will?

If you wanted to colaborate on it you could probably post here. Even Boo is being helpful so I am guessing this thread is magical.

I don't think either format is oppressive, really. It just depends on your particular playstyle. And, if I recall correctly, back before 2010 the Boards boasted plenty of RPs with both short- and long-style formats. Personally, I gravitate towards the longer ones, but that's mostly because I feel challenged as a writer that way. A tweet-sized RP would probably be much more action-oriented, since it would consist mostly of the DM and players shooting either actions, choices, or lines of conversation back and forth to each other.

There used to be regular RP rooms in the TheOtaku chatroom. I remember three in particular that kept reopening every day for literal months, so obviously the format isn't inherently awful. All you really need are a few like-minded people.

I guess there's a difference between tweet-sized, and tweet-style. Either seem like fun in different ways. The first just means you have to stick as much info as you want within 1something characters. The other is more like:

2015-02-05 Boo
@Shy Ugh, @Allamorph posted about the legendary PRP LOLcats issue again.

2015-02-05 Shy
BRB, gonna make a point now. Hey, did you guys see my Kickstarter? We've reached our goal!

2015-02-05 Allamorph
@Shy You are generally wrong because I am right. @CaNz LOL, weither?! What are you? Dyslexic?!

2015-02-06 CaNz
Tweeting from Prison LOL! @FuterCaNz: Ppl don't know weather a punch is friendly or not!

I guess there's a difference between tweet-sized, and tweet-style. Either seem like fun in different ways. The first just means you have to stick as much info as you want within 1something characters. The other is more like:

2015-02-05 Boo

2015-02-05 Shy
BRB, gonna make a point now. Hey, did you guys see my Kickstarter? We've reached our goal!

2015-02-05 Allamorph
@Shy You are generally wrong because I am right. @CaNz LOL, weither?! What are you? Dyslexic?!

2015-02-06 CaNz
Tweeting from Prison LOL! @FuterCaNz: Ppl don't know weather a punch is friendly or not!

I agree! Both seem like fun. Maybe the latter is more original and inspiring than just compact posts...

2015-02-05 Boo

2015-02-05 Shy

2015-02-05 Allamorph

2015-02-06 CaNz

Am I tweeting to my future self about punching fellow inmates? If so I wan't to play as myself.

I agree! Both seem like fun. Maybe the latter is more original and inspiring than just compact posts...

Well, the tweet format is still compact posts, I don't know if tweet storys could look dark or serious though. That might be a fun change of pace though

• 1 month later...
I agree. It has caused a lot of rps to go to the graveyard. Posting orders has cause ones to fail cause the person who's turn it is never gets around to it or when there isn't one people don't want to post right after one another cause they feel like they are excluding people.

Unfortunately not everyone has a ton of time to write, and when you have page long posts its often a pain to have to change it or toss it because someone moved the story along. It probably wouldn't be a big deal for this though since even if you have to toss a whole post it probably is only a waste of five minutes.