OtakuBoards

Justification

CaNz

My conservative grandfather sent me a video of Newt Gingrich talking about the "war" on Islam and how we should seek out and destroy all radical muslim groups.

Now, I don't agree with ISIS or any other similar group but Gingrich's reason for this all out assault is because he believes there is no chance of getting along with them since they either want us dead or converted.

My grandfather, as well as many other people I have met agree, and some want more agressive actions like nuking the middle east. In my opinion, this justifies the terrorist groups cause by that same logic. Apparently a large portion of America is dead set on killing all of you... so attacking them is okay?

What do you guys think about that statement?

Nuking the Middle East?
I'm not sure how that's a solution for anything, even if you're hawkish about this.

I actually think that President Obama is doing a pretty good job in this area; it's a ridiculously complex problem and no one approach will solve it. Also, I think it will take generations to resolve, which runs a bit counter to many people's "everything is a quagmire if it isn't solved by dinner" rationale.

It seems to me that Obama is carefully trying to marshal support from moderate Muslims by saying that we (the West) aren't "attacking Islam" and by taking away religious justifications from the perpetrators of the violence (by not referring to them as "Islamic terrorists"). I'm a bit mixed on the latter point, but I can see why Obama is doing it, and he has sound reasons I'd say.

My own view is that this is the sort of thing that does require a comprehensive approach. There's absolutely justification for military action in some circumstances, but there are so many other things that need to (and are) happening too: everything from pursuing dodgy finances, to international policing, to education and economic stimulation programs. It all needs to happen, I guess.

The only other thing I'd say is that this is a problem of religion; that is, the justifications for the violence are always explicitly religious in nature. Even if extremists don't represent the "true faith" (which I see as a questionable claim anyway), it doesn't really matter; by their own lights, they are doing God's will. Whether it's Islam, or Christianity, or any system of faith...I think this shows how easy (and dangerous) it is for people to act based on completely batty beliefs about the world.

The extent to which people don't strictly follow their faith is the extent to which, in large part, we have a fairly peaceful existence.

I love your closing statement, and in general everything you said, except I do think radical muslims twisted the religion. I also am not totally sure violence isn't part of the religion, but they weaponized it and pointed it at the USA, Isreal, and Christians in general. Budist monks are infidels as well, but no one is attacking them. Basicly they are just shifting the religion to have more control and a true scapegoat. All of that kinda misses the main thing I wanted to talk about though. The situation obviously calls for military action at times, but we have general 'see terrorist, blow up terrorist' polocy, and the only way we wont kill them is if they stop practicing their crazy religion... which happens to be pretty much what they want from us. I know its a loose correlation, but I feel like its good enough to question ourselves. If we are justified, they are too in my opinion.

People will think of plenty of reasons to wage war. "We are the protectors of Democracy" or "Communism is the only way" for example. (though the former always can rely on a religious reference or two) If there wasn't any religion, most people would flock to whatever other thing that gives a common cause and makes life appear worthwhile. People suck like that.

If people just took a step back and looked into the vast depths of space maybe they'd realize how minimal their existance really is. Who is going to care what government system a country has 200 years from now. All of this is just goimg to be a chapter in the history books... nothing more. People need to find a better cause to fight for.