OtakuBoards

Farewell Possum Bourne

TheShinje

[size=1][color=firebrick] Today, a great New Zealander and rally ace Peter"Possum" Bourne, died in Dunedin hospital, following a horrendous Good firday car crash.

The news has shocked me, a keen rally fan. I was hoping to get a response from Rally fans in Australia and Japan, where he had a big following, on reacting to this great mans death.

I'm sorry if this post is rambling on a bit, or not making sense. Most of you in places abroad probably don't know who he was, but he was a great man, a superb rally driver, and a friend of my friend, and even bigger rally fan than me, who I am sure is devastated by the news.

Some of Possum's achievements through his tunning Rally career (courtesy of Xtra.co.nz)

Peter "Possum" Bourne was New Zealand's most successful rally driver having won a record 7 Australian Rally titles.

[b]1979 starts rallying in New Zealand

1993 wins Asia-Pacific Rally Championship

1994 wins Asia-Pacific Rally Championship

1996 wins Australian Rally Championship
Subaru

1997 wins Australian Rally Championship
Subaru

1998 wins Australian Rally Championship
Subaru

1999 wins Australian Rally Championship
Subaru

2000 wins Australian Rally Championship
Subaru wins Asia-Pacific Rally Championship

2001 wins record 6th Australian Rally Championship
Subaru Impreza WRC 2000

2002 wins 7th Australian Rally Championship
Subaru Impreza WRX [/b]

Farewell Possum, have fun racing that great big rally circuit in the sky. [/size][/color]

I was pretty much at a loss for words when I heard he had passed away, someone who's made such an impact in the rally world. Hell, I wouldn't even care about rally driving if it weren't for Possum Bourne.. It really is a tragedy when such a legend of the track passes away.

Rest in Peace, Possum.