OtakuBoards

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2.... Looks horrible...

Youko Minamino

[color=green]Hmm...well considering DBZ Budokai itself wasn't all that great, I'm really not surprised. The graphics seem to be cel-shaded, but I don't really think that's a big deal.

Wind Waker was cel-shaded I do believe, and that took nothing away from the gaming. The gaming itself will probably be just as bad as the first though.

This is just my opinion though, I thought it was too short, and lacked the basic fighting game fundamentals. I really can't say though, it may be good if they add in things they were missing in the first.

I can't really specify what they were missing, but it just lacked something that would have made it better.Oo[/color]

Guest Imsirion
ewww.... I think that looks, just plain bad. Though we cannot confirm it sucks 'til we play it,see how the fighting engine and controls are. Aw, who cares, but what about my poor eyes!!! *sniff* they burn with an unholy fire......

They seriously cant make a good dragonball Z game thats pretty sad i mean theres so many possibilities they can do. They should take what they did for the game boy one and make an RPG for PS2 that would be great. No instead they make it a street fighter type game which is horrible for the PS2 and for dragonball Z.

I know, I think that that they should make the DBZ games more like the Super Budodens and Hyper Dimension. Those DBZ games were actually good. But this, this LOOKS, and let me emphasize LOOKS, bad. But I have to play it first to get the true feeling for the game.

Guest Imsirion
Yes, the Butouden series, Hyper Dimension, and Buyu Retsuden games are good, and I still like to play them. Its sad because when DBZ bacame popular in America (and elsewhere), they started making crappy games like Legacy of Goku to cash in quick. Out of the newer games, I suggest Legendary Super Warriors which is a card/fighter/stratagy game (for gb).

Yea, you cant really judge the game too much until you play it. But from what those screenshots look like, I dont think it will be good. But hey, you never know, the controls and fighting style might br awesome.

Graphics aren?t everything, it's the game play that matters.

That's why you still find yourself playing those 8-bit games, and still loving them.

Budokai was pretty good in my opinion; it had a lot more than what one would expect from a fighting game. I liked the capsule system, it took my back to the Final Fantasy days, and incorporated a feature for the more... intelligent gamer. You simply couldn't button bash your way through it, it took time, and patience. Something not applicable to other fighters, like Tekken.

No matter what, i won't judge the game till i get my hands on it. It's the only way to be sure.

Hm, I'm surprised at what I'm reading.

Judging by these shots, the cel shading technique allows Budokai 2 to capture the look of the series much better than its predecessor did. Those shots mimic the show almost perfectly.

Although the backgrounds do appear to be more lush than before, I'll admit that the character models clash a bit with 'em. But, remember that the game is not yet finished. Perhaps the developers will overlay them with lighting effects that helps the visuals mesh better.

I was actually [i]hoping[/i] that the series would go in this direction. So, I'm pleased.

My main concern lies in the area of game play mechanics though. Hopefully the developers will speed up the game, factor in character strengths and weaknesses, and place a greater emphasis on ki battles and aerial combat.

They've already proven that they can capture the atmosphere of the series. Now, they just have to nail down the feel.

Whats the big deal with the graphics? I mean game play, game play, game play!
I haven't played Budokai but you can't judge a game by it's graphics. If you just play for graphics you aren't a true gamer. Thats why the best games ever are old nintendo and genesis games. you had a game to play, not eye candy.

It's also sad that i enjoy playing the 6 dbz games i have (snes) burned for my dreamcast much more than legacy of goku.
These games are cool, if you have the SNES still around you definetly need to try them.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by vegeta rocker [/i]
[B]Whats the big deal with the graphics? I mean game play, game play, game play![/B][/QUOTE]

Completely and utterly true. I found myself looking at the screen shots of C&C Generals and drooling, it looked amazing... looked. I of course went out and bought the game strait away, but once i got home and began to play it i found the game play to be to slow and the overall package unattractive. In my opinion the game was not as good as one of its C&C predecessors like RA2.

The point i am making is don't be fooled by screen shots, they don't show an in depth look into the game, all they convey is a static image.

[font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue]Eh... cel-shading is actually a good thing. This is an anime-based game. Cel-shading is the most intelligent way to go. Zelda used complete cel-shading, and it looked great (shutting up the not-so-smart skeptics.) Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner uses partial cel-shading that blends in wonderfully with the 3D world.

The screen shots look bad because the character models themselves are horrendous. They look nothing like the show. It looks like an 8-year old drew Goku's face. Hopefully, this will be an issue addressed before release time. It is obvious that those models are currently worse than the character models found in the original Bukodai.

Oh, and Budokai was good for the DBZ fans. It's a very fun game if you take it for what it is, and if you are knowledgeable with the DBZ universe. Also, if you've played the previous DBZ games, you would cherish this PS2 title.[/color][/font]

Honestly, it's not that bad. Sure, it could use a little fine-tuning, but the cel-shading looks pretty good. Besides, like a lot of people have said, it's really the gameplay that matters. It kind of looks to me like a PS2 version of Ultimate Battle 22. Let's just hope that it's a bit better.

Hitokiri Battosai

• 4 weeks later...
I don't see what the big deal is. It looks good to me, especially the Buu character model. This game will be like controling an episode of the show. I'm sure that this game will play much better and be more in depth (34 characters!!!) than its predecessor. The backgrounds do look a little wierd so hopefully it will be a bit more polished before it is released in 6 months. They've got lots of time to make this great.

I'll tell you what they should make...

A game with charactors that you build up, a long story line (all of the dbz sagas), multiple players to choose from, and a combat system sort of like kingdom hearts or any of the newer rpg's where you actually control fighting for your self. (in other words, the oppisite of turn based)

With the control to fight as you wish you can have fun with the fighting almost like a fighting game. With the charactor build up or stats, you can have the progression of power and rising difficulty throughout the game.

Sorry to go off on a rant, 'just having a hard time explaining this to you guys.

Budakai 2 looks alright to me with the cell shading, infact, it looks a lot better than I thought it would.

SS3 anyone must be quite the player in that game.
(if he's there)

DBZ ButtyKai was not good at all to me. The only thing i liked, well now that i seat and think theres nothing i really liked about the game. They should just remake DBZ Lengends for the PS2. What GoKents was saying would be nice. Also make a DBZ RPG game that you could play onlne with others well be kinda hot. My and some friemds thought of some pretty cool stuff.

Guest Mystik
I don't know what the big deal is with people wanting the fancy graphics these days, if your worried about that, then your not buying a game for what it is, and probably just to say you have it, although you never play it. As far as I'm concerned, those may be beta test models in the first stages of development, you never can really tell. But seriously, go for story or gameplay when choosing games, not just by looks. Don't judge a book by it's cover. The same goes for video games.

[color=#C32C55]I am less concerned with how this game looks than how it plays. These anime-based games are [i]rarely[/i] any good to play.

I hope that the developers can do justice to the anime and really deliver something that truly pleases anime fans.[/color]