OtakuBoards

Private/Catholic Schools...

Epitome

As some of you may know, I go to a Catholic high school and yesterday was my first day. I loved it. Even though its not co-ed, and theres no girls, I still had a great time. Does anyone else go to a private or catholic school? If so, comments on what you think of them.

[COLOR=green]I've been going to Catholic schools since seventh grade, and this year will be my first year in a Public High School.

My experiences with Catholic schools while in grade school was ok. Both of the schools I attended were small, no more than 20 kids in my class. Both schools had/have major budget issues, and were bare bones operations, to put it nicely.

The Catholic high school I attended was very exclusive, and I think the only reason I got in was that in my third quarter of eighth grade I got straight A's. Anyway, the school was academically rigorous and a lot of fun. I really miss not going back to it this year.

So, that's it. I'd say Catholic schools, like all schools, have their pros and cons. They have smaller class sizes, and if you're looking for a religious education you've come to the right place. Unfortunately most of them have tight budgets, ageing facilities and a high teacher turnover rate.

All three schools were Co-ed, thank god.

So, whatever floats your boat...[/COLOR]

i used to go to a private school.....one of the things that i didnt like was that the school was so expensive, and yet they got teachers that couldnt teach (some of them had difficulty speaking english -.- )
and the uniforms. and the fact that that after i got out of there, i had to get used to talking to boys....i was scared of them (i had never really talked to boys before, as it was encouraged not to):blush:

[color=navy][i] I used to attend a private school for a bout two years-6th and 7th grade. Personaly, I hated it.
Well, when you first signed up, you had to sign an agreement, which had things in it like:
1. You will not listen to un-godly music
2.You will not attend school dances
3.You will not have pre-maritial sex
Those were the [b]exact[/b] terms on it. I didn't agree with it one bit, but it was "agree or be punished".
So I started attending there. I thought most of the people to be quite strange at the time. Yes, I had to wear a crappy uniform, which is another thing that wasn't too pleasent.
So as the year went by, I came to realize something: It was their way or punishment. They refferred to the Christian religion as "The only truth". If you had an opionion about it that wasn't the same as theirs, you got punished for it. (Reminds me of James' myOtaku post about that Kevin guy..) Basically, they took all freedom of character away. You were not allowed to dye your hair. Your hair can'tbe longer than below your ears. You were [b]only[/b] allowed to listen to christian music, as secular music is "the devil". It was just insane how controlling they were. But again, if you made a comment about it, you got punished.
I endured this for two years, until my mom left for England. she was really the only one enforceing me staying there. With her gone, I was free to get out, and quite frankly, get my personality back.
This is just my personal opinion based on my experiences. I'm not saying every private school is like this, because I know myself that's not true. It was this one that was much like that. < Just thought i'd point this out to avoid a huge, un-needed argument.
In all truth, this experience turned me off to all religion. I don't want to be a part of something that takes away your individuality that much. It was shoved down my throat.
~Matto[/color][/i]

From the time I started pre-school I had gone to a Catholic school. I liked it a lot because there was not that many people there and my whole class was really close. During the summer between fourth and fifth grade my parents got divorced so I had to move and go to a public school. I really miss the private school because you can get more attention from the teachers and you get to form a closer bond with the other people in your grade because there are not so many of them.

I go to a catholic school and personally I hate it. I'm forced to study a religion I find hypocritical for the most part (no offense to anyone) and I'm a year behind all my friends in public school. Another problem: It's not co-ed and there's a cat fight just about every day.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hataki Vash[/i]
[B]Even though its not co-ed, and theres no girls, I still had a great time.[/B][/QUOTE][size=1]You know... some place [i]not[/i] being co-ed often means that there is a definite lack of one of either genders present, lol.

As for your question, I have have to a Catholic school in the past. All through my gradeschool career I was in a Catholic school, and my freshman year I was in a Catholic high school. I was never much of a religious person to begin with, though I have been through a majority of the sacrements. It simply just was not for me, and so I just left it and went to a public school. Public education was more enjoyable.

A lot of the religious high schools around here are rather immoral, anyways. In terms of subtle brainwashing. No joke. Simply trying to close off the students' minds to believe that they are right and anyone whose beliefs are contrary should be spit on.[/size]

[size=1]I have spent nine years of my educational career in parochial (Lutheran) schools. Senior year will make it an even ten.

Third grade was my first year in such a place, and it was something of a culture shock for my eight year old self. First, my class was tiny. (It was actually about 30 people, but I was used to more.) I was used to switching classrooms every hour, and Trinity didn't do that. I was stuck in the same desk, all day, every day. Everyone else in my class had known each other since Kindergarten (or even 3 year Pre-k) so I was painfully out of place. Furthermore, we had Chapel every Wednesday morning, and I was the only person there who didn't know the Lord's Prayer by heart.

However, the thing that bothered me the most (to be perfectly honest, heh) is that my new school had a different handwriting/penmanship that we were supposed to use. I's just spent three years learning to write in d'nealian (where all the letters are slanted and had "monkey tails") and suddenly I wasn't allowed to write like that anymore.

Granted, it has very little to do with Trinity being a Parochial school, but I still hold that grudge. /

I don't really mind the schools I've gone to, I guess. I often wish I'd gone to a public school with more people and more classes available, but there's very little I can do to change my grade school career, heh.

As for high school...well, I woudn't want to change schools my senior year, I guess. I'm painfully aware of the limited AP opportunities offered at my school, and I'm somewhat jealous of my (only) middle school friend, who ended up going to a large public high school.

So I guess, for me, the thing about going to a parochial school isn't so much about what religion is taught, so much as it is about the size. There are pros and cons to small schools, and I guess I've done pretty well.[/size]

I went to Catholic school for middle school and my freshman year. My school was [b]very[/b] low-budget. I left because public school, like others have said, have more to offer. I get to choose my classes and electives, while the catholic school only had a set amount of courses. That's basically the reason I left.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Matto Tradagen [/i]
[B][color=navy][i] I used to attend a private school for a bout two years-6th and 7th grade. Personaly, I hated it.
Well, when you first signed up, you had to sign an agreement, which had things in it like:
1. You will not listen to un-godly music
2.You will not attend school dances
3.You will not have pre-maritial sex
Those wer[/color][/i] [/B][/QUOTE]

How could they control that?
Was it a boarding school?

BTW, if you think your school is bad, I insist you read this:

[url]http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Association_of_Specialty_Programs_and_Schools[/url]

[color=navy][i] Not, it was not a boarding school. It was one of the staff's way of trasnforming you into what they wanted.
It was very much like PiroMunkie said-brainwashing. You weren't allowed to have an opinion that was different from the staff's. You were force-fed christianity, and if you had something to say about it, you got punished. They seriously attempted to take away each persons individuality and transform them into a "Christian" robot, so to speak. Many of the school rules had little to do with school at all. Many of them had to do with what and what not you were allowed to do in your life as long as you attended the school.
Again, as stated from my last post, this is my personal experience. Not all schools are like this, that's not what i'm saying. If you want to yell at me, feel free to PM me.
~Matto[/color][/i]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by lea2385 [/i]
[B]i used to go to a private school.....one of the things that i didnt like was that the school was so expensive, and yet they got teachers that couldnt teach (some of them had difficulty speaking english -.- )[/B][/QUOTE]That's the issue at my school. Going to a private catholic school, doesn't always give you the best education. Half the teachers at my school are from either England, Indonesia, Malaysia, Russia, Cheqoslovakia, Canada, or America.

Now, of course, the American and English teachers don't have a problem, only that there are a total of three teachers from those countries. The rest of the foreign teachers are from countries that don't speak english. Even though they were teachers overseas, they couldn't speak english, and the school still employed them as teachers. You'd think they'd be language teachers, or something. We've got a Malaysian maths teacher, where the kids have trouble understanding him saying "Good morning class". Not one of them has anything to do with language, no, we've got Australian teachers teaching Japanese, Indonesian, and Russian. :drunk:

Don't get me wrong, they'd be good teachers if we could understand them.

Uniforms aren't a problem here.. actually, they are. Button-up shirts, the plain grey trousers, shirts tucked-in, etc. Every kid here hates it. We have a sports uniform that's a bit more daggy, and it's not surprising to see nearly every boy wearing it every day.

We still got the stereotypes happening too, the "cool" boys and girls, the "nerds", and all that. Doesn't change.

I've been going to Catholic Schools since Kindergarten (I'm in 10th grade). so that's 10yrs. soon to be 11. Personaly I don't think my school forces religion on it's students, example, they don't have to participate in confession if they don't want to, if your not catholic they ask you to go through the communion line any way and insted of receving communion the priest will bless you ect...

But one of the things I like the most about it is the untiy we have in the school. That and the people, just some great people, unlike some of the other schools around (even other catholic schools).

I have been in private schools since ....um forever.... and I guess there are definete pros and cons. Such as I will NEVER get lost in my current....um situation....but I do know EVERYONE, which can lead to rut forming and general boredom and monatany. I also HATE the way the teachers (especialy theology) try to drill THEIR beliefs into our heads. If I will be religious I would like to form my OWN opinions about the subject.

These are just some of the reasons I have no intentions of going to college at a private school. I cannot wait to be in a class with over 100 people! :)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Matto Tradagen [/i]
[B][color=navy][i] Not, it was not a boarding school. It was one of the staff's way of trasnforming you into what they wanted.
It was very much like PiroMunkie said-brainwashing. You weren't allowed to have an opinion that was different from the staff's. You were force-fed christianity, and if you had something to say about it, you got punished. They seriously attempted to take away each persons individuality and transform them into a "Christian" robot, so to speak. Many of the school rules had little to do with school at all. Many of them had to do with what and what not you were allowed to do in your life as long as you attended the school.
Again, as stated from my last post, this is my personal experience. Not all schools are like this, that's not what i'm saying. If you want to yell at me, feel free to PM me.
~Matto[/color][/i] [/B][/QUOTE]

If it's not a boarding school, and you hate the rules about music so much, why follow them? From the looks of your post, it seems anyone could just go home, listen to any music they want, have however much sex they want, wear whatever they want, and noone at the school would be the wiser. Why does it matter you can't do it at school? It's not like they follow you home.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Epid3mic [/i]
[B]If it's not a boarding school, and you hate the rules about music so much, why follow them? From the looks of your post, it seems anyone could just go home, listen to any music they want, have however much sex they want, wear whatever they want, and noone at the school would be the wiser. Why does it matter you can't do it at school? It's not like they follow you home. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=navy][i] Anyone could go home and do what they wanted. It's the idea behind it..
I never said I did follow them. I posted that because the fact the rules try to control your personality really agitated and annoyed me. I personaly don't think anyone at that school followed them. Just the fact that those kind of rules exist within the school really pissed me off. No one has the right to feed you your personality.
For the record, I don't even go there anymore, as mentioned in my first post in this thread.
~Matto[/color][/i]

iwould quickly loose my patience in a private school. I would most likely punch the first guy that got me a little angry in the bridge of the nose. then take it from there. I couldn't take. Just think about it makes me wanna kick a hole in the wall.

I have always gone to public schools, And find them to be every bit as good, if not better at truning out good, competent students, than private or Christian schools. In fact, the kids from ym local Christian school had to go to the Public high school coz we dont have a Chritsian high in my little town. And half of them were absolute d******ds who muched around, and were general losers. I, of course, have no other experiences with Private/Catholic schools aside from this though, but from the posts here. They dont sound too great.

Guest King_Cloud690
Well I have not been to a catholic school etc. but my cousin has She is younger than me and is changing from a catholic school to a public school! I mean I was like the only one in my WHOLE family who went to a public school b4 her! And I have a HUGE family! But acoording to her its gonna be a BIG change! There will alot of stuff that will be different in the Public school so I hope that she does not have trouble with it! But in my opinion I have never liked catholic schools etc because of the Dress code! And also some are like all boys or all girls!

Guest pantalaimon
I go to a catholic school but I am not catholic personaly I think they are the same as normal schools but withmasses,prayers and more religous education.

I started off in public school for my first five years, and then went to Catholic school. I personally, like the catholic school better. I mean, pantalaimon is right. You never really have to go to mass unless you want to, which i can't understand why anyone would not want to. I mean, sure we say prayers before almost every class, and we have religion classes, but it's not like we're being brain-washed or something. I don't know what kind of schools you people went to, but i think it just ruined the whole experience for you. I mean, wearing a uniform is a good thing. You don't have to worry about what to wear so you'll fit in. Everyone looks the same. So you don't get left out for not wearing whats "in" that season. Plus, you get a much better education than at a public school. My brother just graduated from my school, and went of to college. Now, he's a C-D student, and he said all of this College classes were so easy, he didn't even have to pay attention. He sat there and laughed at all the public school kids who were working their buts off cuz they didn't understand. Our school gets you ready for college and ready for the real world, so you can answer the questions of life.
So..I'm going to say that a catholic education is better, and if you disagree with me, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I've been going to Catholic/private schools since kindergarten. Yes, we have to wear uniforms. No, they're not that bad. It takes all the stress away from figuring out what you'll wear the next day. Yes, there are some downfalls to Catholic school. No, I don't hate it. I'd have to say that the worst part was in my grade school: For a while we only had 15 kids in our class (we were the smallest in the school) and only 5 of us were girls. It's kinda weird only having that many ppl in your grade. Now that I'm in high school (with duorocks17), my grade is as large as my entire grade school/junior high. There are an awful lot of cliques, but my guess is that you'll find them anywhere. Jr high was the worst. I'l admit I hated it. (Somehow, the caucasians were a minority, and all the hispanic girls and several white ones picked on me constantly b/c my IQ was twice all of theirs put together. --okay, so I'm a little bitter.) High school's a lot better b/c the cliques aren't as exclusive and all the girls who thought they were high and mighty at my feeder school got a reality freshman year. I've made a lot of great friends, and I appreciate the freedom we have at our Catholic school that public schools don't have. We have freedom of prayer and freedom from political correctness. I'm proud to say that I go to a conservative school (meaning, my gov't teacher can teach us conservative politics rather than liberal.) I also love taking my religion classes. You learn NOTHING in PSR from what I've heard. (PSR is "Public School Religion". It's held in the evenings for kids in each Catholic parish who attend public schools. it's a joke from what my public school friends tell me.)
To point another thing out, academically, our Catholic high schools are the best in our district. We leave most of the public schools in our dusk. **cough**cough**NORTH HIGH**cough**

To simplify all this, I love going to Catholic schools. I believe I'm a better person for going to them.

I go to one of the only [B]public[/B] single-sex schools in my state. There's only two of them.

I think it's okay, considering the amount of homophobic chicks I have to put up with. And the amount of girls who [i]still[/i] giggle about the fact that they speak about sex, boys, alcohol, etc. I mean I understand that year 8's would do that cause they're immature, but year 10's? Seriously annoying as hell...
But I guess the fact that they obviously don't socialise with guy's much they're still stupid... I mean no offence to anyone by this, it's just how I veiw the stupidity of the people I'm forced to socialise with or at least pretend to like.

I feel pitty on those who go to private schools, I wouldn't be able to stand such strictness... I mean they even control how you have your hair! It's just not right!

[size=1]I go to a private [b]catholic[/b] school, although, it seems to be a little different from what most people think of. For instance, it's more friendly and less...strict, I suppose. When most people think of private schools, it's of a strict, uniformed upper class school. And, to be hoenst, it isn't.

Yes, you have to pay to go to my school. And yes, it can be a couple of thousand dollars. Possibly four thousand dollars a year, or thereabouts.

However, you can dye your hair, as long as it's a 'natural colour' -- for instance, [i]not[/i] purple, or blue. Red, Blonde, Black, brown are all okay. They frown on streaks and foils, however, they won't do anything about it.

We have 'First Friday Mass' everyone month, and that lasts about an hours or so. We pray at the beginning of the day, in CLP -- 'Christian Living Program' -- which is something like your homeroom. Other than that, it's rather like a normal school -- only I believe it's better. For instance, my school is one of the leading schools in the district. We do very well in sport, and academia, as well as musicals and cultural life.

Now, I know I sound like a brochure for my school.

And my school isn't perfect. Far from it. Lately, I've been finding I'm not geting the academic support I need from teachers so I've been trying to find a tutor.

However, all in all, I would take [i]my[/i] Catholic School over a public school in my region [b]anyday[/b], because public schools have bad repuations, generally much lower academia, and while the government might give them a lot of money for their school, I still believe that a pivate school is better. And I always will.

I must admit, though, that I've never been to America, or England, and private and public schools seem to have different reputations.[/size]