OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy VIII

Mimmsicle

[color=chocolate][i]if this should be posted somewhere else, please tell me. I tried to find somewhere suitable, but I couldn't find anwhere to put it.[/i]

the theory I want to ask more experienced players is not one I have thought of myself, I read it somewhere a long time ago. but it struck me, and I wish to explore it further.

ok, here goes: [b]in another time-line, where Squall fails to save Rinoa, she evolves/becomes Ultimecia. [/b]

I think that's how it went, however I'm not sure what lies behind this thought and how it came about, and if this is what Square intended with their plot.
So I hope that someone might enlighten me with their thoughts and ideas.

Personally I didn't think much of this when I first heard it, and it also confused me (like all the alternative universes and time-lines does for me) but it's an interesting idea. Final Fantasy VIII is after all based on the whole going-back-and-forth-in-time thing... [SIZE=1]and saving the world and getting the girl [/SIZE] :p
- Mimmi[/color]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=666666][size=1][i]I haven't gotten that far but my friend has told me. I think that this game was pretty interesting, so far at least. I think it has an ok storyline. It's no where near better than 7, so as for now its alright. Also I can't wait till I get to the part with Ragnorock. THats will be so awsome. I also will say that the FMV are really good in this.[/color][/size][/i]

[COLOR=chocolate] [SIZE=1]thanks for sending me here Meteora, I totally missed this place last time 'round.
I've also been thinking about the whole Cloud issue, but I don't want to waste space by doing a new thread. is it ok if I talk about it in here and change the subject-line to indicate the content more accurately ?

- Mimmi [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=indigo]This thread can be used for discussing anything about the storyline of FFVIII. I would only ask that people refrain from comparing FFVIII to other games, talking about the graphics, gameplay, and other stuff like that. We've already got another thread for that [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30210]here[/url]. This thread should be used only for discussing the story, not rating the game.

And if you want the subject changed so that it covers a broader range of storyline subjects, and so that the change appears on the thread list, I can do that for you. Maybe something like "FFVIII Story Questions"?[/color]

[color=chocolate][SIZE=1]thanks for the help and guidelines, I need them to get to grips with this place. Newbie as I am :)

so back to the subject:
* does the storyline go in cirles after the last battle, or is it broken and thus creating a new future ? (I'm no good at time-warps and such)
* is squall fully aware of his consanguinity (I love dictionaries) at the end ? does he know who his parents are, basically.
* what is the future of the Gardens ?

there, a few random questions that dwell in my mind.

- Mimmi[/color][/SIZE]

[QUOTE]I'm not sure if in Disc 3 Squall has a flashback when he arrives at Edea's house. All of them were orphans there because of the war.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I know. I'm just wondering if Squall ever got that [spoiler]Laguna was his father[/spoiler] or not. it's made pretty clear to the person playing the game, but I don't think it was made obvious that Squall knew. but then again, lose ends are always good for the imagination :)

- Mimmi

I've gotten to probably around the middle of disc 3, but had to start over (I wasn't strong enough to go on). Anyway, the whole time-warp thing isn't that completcated. Ultimecia uses a time machine to send her conscous to the past, she must possess another sorcerous to stay in that time-line. When she's possessed someone in that time-line, she has to have Ellone send her further into the past, where she has to possess a sorcerous in THAT time-line to stay THERE. Get it yet? It's only Ultimecia's conscous thats going through time. I don't get that phrase though.....

Squall & the other orphens have one flashback at Matron's (Edea's) place and another at Trabia Garden. They conclude that it's the GF's fault, but their fault for using them.

[color=chocolate]I don't mean to seem rude, but I know all the above. :rolleyes:
my question was rather [i]"will this thing go in circles ?"[/i]
[color=black][spoiler]sorceress goes back in time, squall goes forth in time to prevent sorceress to go back in time.
squall is successful in his mission, but the defeated sorceress is still absorbed by Edea from the past and thus nothing has really changed ???

a time-loop if you will.
[/spoiler][/color]

or is there only 1 future and 1 past, and once you've changed the future/past all will be well and never changed again ?

hope I made myself somewhat clear of my thoughts in this matter. it's been a couple of years since I played it last and I am the first to admit that I'm not the brightest person that ever played an FF-game :cross:

- Mimmi [/color]

[i][color=lightpink]Ok...I've beaten this game and it was never this confusing. I mean like [spoiler]In disc3 Squall finds out that Laguna was his father, not sure if he gets it right at first and finds it strang, I mean Squall finds it strange. Well....now...Ultimectia controls the sorceresses to make them more powerful, as Edea was in the first disc in the parade. Ok well Adel was killed ultimecia is gone from there. SO now they go forward in time, witht he help of Ellone. Ok now you are on the 4th disc, the last one! Well nw before you can charge in and kill Ultimecia, you have to go through the dreaded strange castle and kill several bosses, then the final battle with 5 stages. And you beat the game ....sorta...[/spoiler]

Ok now the reason why Ultimecia did this stuff... [spoiler]She wanted to kill all of SeeD, to stop them from killing future sorceresses. They see her castle when the travel in the 4th disc.[/spoiler]

Now...does this make any sence? I hope i didn't give away too much...i had to explain it the way i remember it so....Gomen Nasai.[/color][/i]

You've basically got the idea, with one exception--[spoiler]Ultimecia wanted to achieve Time Compression to create a world in which only she could live. Past, Present, and Future as one.[/spoiler]

As for the question on if Squall knew, I think he did. If he payed attention when [spoiler]Ellone was explaining about how she could only send someone into the past as someone she knew, she almost flat out told him.[/spoiler]

[i][color=lightpink]Ohhh! Now i remember. *nods* you are very correct i must say. Poor Seifer was in the middle of it all too. I'm glad he is better in the end. You [spoiler]see him smiling![/spoiler] It's just so cute!!!! ^^ Kawaii! [/color][/i]

• 1 month later...
[color=red][size=1]First off, this theory's relatively old. There was a site long ago with screen caps that supported it, but...I can't seem to find it. Anyhoo, there are numerous things you could look at...[spoiler]during the end FMV, the wings on the back of Rinoa's outfit momentarily turn black...Ultimecia resembles an aged Rinoa (regarding that, I believe it could also be the effects of prolonged magic use...but that's just me)...[/spoiler]Etc., etc.

And, about the timeline issue [spoiler]theoretically, that happens in any scenario where you travel to the past. If you eliminate your problem, then you never have any reason to go back to the past, thus you never go back and don't fix the problem...that's why time travel is pretty much impossible.[/spoiler]

--Chris[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][spoiler]during the end FMV, the wings on the back of Rinoa's outfit momentarily turn black...Ultimecia resembles an aged Rinoa (regarding that, I believe it could also be the effects of prolonged magic use...but that's just me)...[/spoiler][/QUOTE] [COLOR=firebrick]You just gave me a reason to play the game all over again, for that moment only ; p
By the way, has Square adressed this question ? They ususally do when ideas like these surface, but I can't recall hearing anything about this.... although it has probably just slipped my memory.[/COLOR] [QUOTE][spoiler]theoretically, that happens in any scenario where you travel to the past. If you eliminate your problem, then you never have any reason to go back to the past, thus you never go back and don't fix the problem...that's why time travel is pretty much impossible.[/spoiler][/QUOTE] [COLOR=firebrick]That makes sense...But then everything gets kind of warped when it comes to time travelling, so anything's possible... in some way : )

Thanks for replying [i]*bows*[/i]

- Mimmi[/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
Im kinda new here so I dont know if this has been debated before, but, what happened? [spoiler] did Squall die? did Rinoa die? I thought they had both had lived at the end but Ive had a few people tell me otherwise. [/spoiler] Im really confused and need an answer please.

Err, did you play the game or not? [spoiler]During the ending texts we see a "homevideo" made by Selphie from the party after Ultimecia's defeat (we see all our fave characters rendered!). After some funny scenes (like Zell choking on hot dogs and Irvine zooming on some random girls' behinds) we witness Irvine sneaking to a blacony with the camera, and catching Rinoa talking to "somebody". After the textures we see that the "somebody" is - surprise, surprise - Squall, and the kiss. The End.[/spoiler]

• 2 weeks later...
I DID play the game its just that, well I had been told that whole thing was a flash back. I thought [spoiler] Squall and Rinoa both lived [/spoiler] but after being told by several people who had debated this topic on other sites, I started to question that. Thank you for making me less confused though.

• 2 months later...
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can download the ending for FFVIII?, I've played the game, but never able to complete it, and i want to see the ending, as I've been told it is so cool, so if anybody here has any locations, or websites I would be really grateful

[color=indigo]First off, I merged this with the original Final Fantasy VIII thread. Second, [url=http://www.google.com][u]Google is your friend[/u][/url]. If you don't know where to find something like that, do a search for it. If you care to look hard enough -- provided it's actually out there -- you'll probably find it. Digital recordings of game cutscenes seem to be pretty rare, however.[/color]

• 8 months later...
Hey everyone, I'm new to this board and just wanted to say hey and hope I am doing this right.

I have played and beaten other Final Fantasy games, but right now I'm currently playing Final Fantasy 8 and this is my first time playing it. This game is awesome so far, but I have to ask, where do you find more GFs? I mean I know you can fight, draw, or find them, but I still have Quezacotl, Shiva, and Ifrit and I just started on the second disc. Thanks for your help and also what do you guys think about the game in general? I mean, Final Fantasy 4(2 for SNES), 6(3 for SNES), and 7 were great games and some of my favorite RPGs and now Final Fantasy 8 is starting to be one of my favorites also. I wasn't really interested when it first came out. So recently my friend got me interested in it and this message board too. So thanks again for the help.

Heh, heh. I think you missed many of them. You can draw most GF's from bossess, like [spoiler]Edea[/spoiler] who you can get Alexander from. Diablos is in that bottle thingy that Cid gives you. There are also a couple that are hidden away in discreet corners of the world.

Anyway, I think that FF8 is a great game. Nobody else ever thinks so, but I do. I think that Squall is the coolest videogame character ever, and I generally like the game and the storyline. Plus, using the junction system, any given character can have any role (though they tend to lean towards specific sorts).

FF8 is kind of where I landed in the FF games; I never really played one before it (excepting Chrono Trigger). I wish you great amounts of luck, and watch out for ruby dragons.

You've actually missed a few of the GFs. Siren can be obtained [spoiler]From the boss on top of the communications tower[/spoiler] near the start of the game. The other one you have likely missed is Brother which is obtained from Tomb where you had to get the Number off the sword.