OtakuBoards

What college do you go to?

Pagan

I know there are alt of college students here at otaku andI was just wondering if you could tell me about your college or University? I'm going to be in college next year and can't seem to make up my mind so maybe from your description I could decide.

My dad said I need to narrow it down to five. I've sent recieved letters from every major football school in the East and some Midwest.

These are colleges I've recieved letters of admissions and football scolarships from: Georgia Tech, University of Georgia, Texas A&M, Alabama, Florida State, Kanas State, UCLA, Mississippi State, Auburn University, Penn, LSU, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Michigan State. The only reason these schools want me is because I'm a good foootballl player and my ACT scores weren't that bad.

Do you have any advice on which school I should chose?

Well, it's not really a matter of what school everyone else wants you to go to, but what school you would like to go to. I'd suggest doing a bit of research on the schools that interest you and see which one fits you best. There are a lot of factors that go into choosing a college: Location (close or far), cost (shouldn't be too bad if you can get a football scholarship), ambience (the setting of the college), etc.

Good luck on wherever you choose to go, heh.

[size=1] If you think you're not so hot at academics and you just want to excel in football...I have no idea where you should go. [I don't even go to college, I'm an eigth grader, lol.] However, my sister is a senior and she's applying to colleges right now, and your best academic colleges are UCLA, Michigan State, and Notre Dame. Maybe Georgia Tech.

Sometimes sports are a risky thing to hold onto and count on for the rest of your life, so I reccomend that you go to a college that has good academics and good sports. The only college footballs teams I've heard talked about by people in your list are UGA, Notre Dame, and Auburn. *shrugs* I'm not exactly a fan of the sport, though.[/size]

[color=indigo]I am going to call you out on this one. You are either full of ?explicative deleted? or you have procrastinated so long that any realistic chance for a scholarship has long passed you by.

Every school you mentioned was a division one school, and the date that you can officially sign letters of intent is in early November. However, it is almost unheard of receiving a sports scholarship after November, mainly because the scholarships have already been allocated or reserved by people that have, AT THE VERY LEAST, used an official visit at a college. You do get five official visits, but usually those are taken in early fall (September or October) after the candidate has had an initial visitation. This should have been clearly stated in the thousands upon thousands of letters of interest that you received from various colleges (and it would be in the thousands if said division one schools were truly interested in you).

Like I said bro, either you are full of ?explicative deleted? or you have procrastinated so long that you?ll be lucky if you are able to be a walk on at any of those schools. I wouldn't be counting on an athletic scholarship unless you are an indecisive All-American.[/color]

I've yet to get any college things (I'm only a freshmen..), but I think I've narrowed them to three choices I would want to go to.

Ohio State University, Ohio University, or New York University. I'm majoring in journalism, so each of them has to carry a journalism class - and all three [i]do[/i].

OSU would be a good place to go if you play football.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B][color=indigo]

Every school you mentioned was a division one school, and the date that you can officially sign letters of intent is in early November. However, it is almost unheard of receiving a sports scholarship after November, mainly because the scholarships have already been allocated or reserved by people that have, AT THE VERY LEAST, used an official visit at a college. You do get five official visits, but usually those are taken in early fall (September or October) after the candidate has had an initial visitation. This should have been clearly stated in the thousands upon thousands of letters of interest that you received from various colleges (and it would be in the thousands if said division one schools were truly interested in you).

Like I said bro, either you are full of ?explicative deleted? or you have procrastinated so long that you?ll be lucky if you are able to be a walk on at any of those schools. I wouldn't be counting on an athletic scholarship unless you are an indecisive All-American.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=darkred]When you have skills like me people will try anything to get you to come to their school. I could run down my stats for you but I don't have all night. Most school I've recieved letters from aren't really offering scolarship(not that I need one anyway)just brochures and junk telling me dates and stuff. I've recieved letters of admission from Georgia Tech and have been there on many occasions. My coach and family have pretty much said I'm going there and I am pretty much going there but I want to try some of my options before its actually to late. When you are a athelete schools will be more gracious and kinder to you then some musical and academic people late comers. Yes I did start sending in letters late but people listen when you are as good as me.*Head gets really big and then explodes*[/color]

Yikes! DON'T GO TO GA TECH!

UGA..... forever.

Alright, now that THAT is taken care of, I'm sorry you're pretty much going to Tech anyway. And of course I'm biased; psh, as if it's not obvious. :rolleyes: I admit ...... half-heartedly, that Tech is not a [i]bad[/i] school, persay. But come on, in your heart of hearts you know that red and black far surpass blue and yellow, or whatever the heck the Jackets' colors are.

And you're a football player, right? Have you *watched* ESPN the past two months? Georgia is FAR better, my friend! Tell me you saw the Auburn game where Georgia scored that 99-yard touch down. That was awesome. So awesome. And how can you resist that Bulldog spirit??! Can team spirit be any stronger? I submit that it canNOT!

Well, I've said my two-cents. Good luck to you, my friend. BTW, where are you from anyway?

[color=red][size=1]Hey now, my cousin went to GA Tech and she turned out okay!

I'm going to Northwestern Technical in Rock Springs, GA. Yes, Tech college. And it [b]is not[/b] college for stupid people. However, I will say that easy classes and pretty girls is very nice ^_^

--Chris[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JCBaggee [/i]
[B][color=red][size=1]Hey now, my cousin went to GA Tech and she turned out okay!

I'm going to Northwestern Technical in Rock Springs, GA. Yes, Tech college. And it [b]is not[/b] college for stupid people. However, I will say that easy classes and pretty girls is very nice ^_^

--Chris[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm sure your cousin is a very nice person. >_> I'm j/k. ^_^

Shoot, I never said GA Tech was an easy school...... but Georgia is just,..... better. :whoops: Ha, beat that argument.

**DISCLAIMER** I say all I say in good humor, and not in any intentionally offensive way. I have friends at both Tech and Georgia, and I'm going to school in Virginia so what does it matter anyway, huh? SO yeah, just thought I'd clear that up, so people don't get mad at me. And hey, if you DO get mad at me, screw you! Like I care what you think anyway! I know what I'm talking about,..... you just don't understand... people like me.... I'm sensitive. And opinionated. But I'm a happy person. I love you guys! Please understand that I'm a peaceful individual; confrontations make me nervous..... okay I'm going now.

Well...I'm getting ready to graduate college...I can't believe I've been there 4 years...gah. Anyways, the advice I can offer you is to be EARLY with everything. The earlier you get stuff in, the more funding there is to go around. That's the way most school's work. Also, don't leave out any activities you've been involved in when applying for scholarships. I got a full ride to Ohio University because I was involved in a lot of extra curricular stuff like band, choir, drama, 4-H, church youth group, ect ect. Remember, you're basically selling yourself to the college you're applying to.

Good luck :)

He's a jock. All he's got on his list of extra curriculars is football...and, well...like he says, he's [i]such[/i] an "up and comer"... :rolleyes:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hells Fire [/i] [COLOR=darkred][b]When you have skills like me people will try anything to get you to come to their school. I could run down my stats for you but I don't have all night.[/b] Most school I've recieved letters from aren't really offering scolarship [b](not that I need one anyway)[/b]just brochures and junk telling me dates and stuff. I've recieved letters of admission from Georgia Tech and have been there on many occasions. My coach and family have pretty much said I'm going there and I am pretty much going there but I want to try some of my options before its actually to late. [b]When you are a athelete schools will be more gracious and kinder to you then some musical and academic people late comers.[/b] Yes I did start sending in letters late [b]but people listen when you are as good as me.*Head gets really big and then explodes*[/b][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Gotta give you one prop, you know you're a pompous ***.

My advice to you? Deflate that helium filled head of yours before you really explode. And drop football. Go for a real sport, like Chess or Gaming. Then you won't stand a chance of becoming an overpaid baby in the pros. ^_^

Good luck in everything you do...as long as it's not football.

When your head has gone back to normal size, I'll invite you to KSU. (Kansas State University) You can at least make a visit and see Amy and me... lol
What you need to think about is what you might possibly major in if something happens and you can't play football. I know that KSU is pretty good in football (a hell of a lot better than KU), but it's also pretty good academically. It's my #2 choice right now (for architecture, not football obviously...). I can tell you that it has a nice atmosphere, and that it relatively small and laidback. It tends to be more conservative while KU is more liberal *gags*. K-State's engineering department is really good, too. That and architecture are among the top in the nation.
But, honestly Tony, if you're really as awesome as you say, you'd be a national figure, and, as of yet, I haven't heard of you outside of this site. So maybe you're BigStuff in GA, but, seriously, you need to work on your D*** EGO!!! I've gotten really sick of it! :rolleyes: *rants* *raves* *slaps Tony across the face in an attempt to shrink his head slightly*
If you'd like to know, I'm probably as good academically as you are w/ football, but I'm not foolish enough to assume that [i]good[/i] colleges are going beg me to come to their schools. We've already compared ACT scores, so that had better shut you up... :p
And...you had better get a few other hobbies and extra curricular activities besides football and "Pimping". I've met enough jocks just like you to know the situation you're in.
Remember Tony, I only "rag" on you so much b/c you think so highly of yourself. I love you enough to try bringing you back to earth... ;)
~art~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hells Fire [/i]
[B][COLOR=darkred]When you have skills like me people will try anything to get you to come to their school. I could run down my stats for you but I don't have all night. Most school I've recieved letters from aren't really offering scolarship(not that I need one anyway)just brochures and junk telling me dates and stuff. I've recieved letters of admission from Georgia Tech and have been there on many occasions. My coach and family have pretty much said I'm going there and I am pretty much going there but I want to try some of my options before its actually to late. When you are a athelete schools will be more gracious and kinder to you then some musical and academic people late comers. Yes I did start sending in letters late but people listen when you are as good as me.*Head gets really big and then explodes*[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Oooook, now THIS is the example of arrogance. No offense man, but if you go into a college with that attitude, you are going to have a slooooow, painful wake up call. There will always be someone a little better than you. You might not meet him(or, who knows? Her), but there will be. Colleges look at your *gasp*[B]Grades[/B] and your [B]SAT SCORES.[/B]

STICK A PIN IN YOUR HEAD.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hells Fire [/i]
[B][COLOR=darkred] When you are a athelete schools will be more gracious and kinder to you then some musical and academic people late comers. Yes I did start sending in letters late but people listen when you are as good as me.*Head gets really big and then explodes*[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]My little sister is a senior in High School. She has been all conference three years in Volleyball and all state the past two years. She also was all State two years a row in basketball and she has won various awards from AAU camps and Hoops and Dreams tournaments. Needless to say, her situation has made me quite familiar with how athletes are selected for large universities. You may be getting countless catalogues, brochures, and letters, but heck, I got those.

If you were offered scholarships or even a position on one of the teams you mentioned you already should have signed a commitment, if not then you aren't guarenteed a apot on a team, you are only offered a chance to walk on. Despite what you think you know, coaches only care how good you are up to a point. They want a commitment early so they can plan out their team, especially at division one schools where athletics provides the school with quite a bit funding. So, if you go to one of those schools, good luck with your walk on try outs, because that is the best shot you have.
[/color]

[size=1] If all of those colleges are trying to get you to enroll at their school just for your football skills, it doesn't mean you're going to stay there. I mean, you could just end up flunking everything and that's [i]not[/i] good. Especially when basing your whole future on football...That's a silly idea.[/size]

[B][color=indigo]My little sister is a senior in High School. She has been all conference three years in Volleyball and all state the past two years. She also was all State two years a row in basketball and she has won various awards from AAU camps and Hoops and Dreams tournaments. Needless to say, her situation has made me quite familiar with how athletes are selected for large universities. You may be getting countless catalogues, brochures, and letters, but heck, I got those.
[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=darkred]Its very different with girl sports. They don't bring in much money and usually end up costing more then they make in(no offense ladies, I still love you all). When you are a GREAT as me walk on won't be a problem for me. Come to the field throw a few TDs and work on my celebration dance. They are fighting over me and will find away to get on their team if I arrive late. Red Shirt Freshman all the way!

About the not being able to pass thing, "jocks" get alot and I mean alot of help if they are important to the team and a good player. I'm pretty much being forced to graduate by all of these teachers and coachs. I haven't lifted a pencil all year yet I have a B average. I have also paid alot of money for ACT/SAT tutoring and have all of the Kaplan programs on my computer; these have brought me great success on the ACT and SAT. Sure my scorese weren't really great but they are in the upper middle range.

Now to the arrongance thing. When you are a QB you have to have confidence in yourself and the team. When I walk on the field I believe I am better then the other team and that they will be no problem. Sure I would be wonderful if I wasn't a QB but that also helps to make me better then the average person. I mean I have the looks, the brains(though I don't use them), and the a great personna. Who can't help but love me![/color]

[color=indigo]Well, I am not sure I believe you or not, because I have a lot of friends and family that have gone to school on athletic scholarships and what you are saying is opposite of everything I have ever been told.

That being said, I do wish you the best of luck with choosing a university, it is a tough decision. Hopefully you'll keep us posted about your decision. Also, if you do play football, I'd appreciate a copy of your strength training program that you recieve in the summer. Being a bit of a gym rat, I love trying different college training programs (I actually have quite a few from some of the larger universities and I rotate them monthly) because they all are remarkably different.[/color]

[B][color=indigo]That being said, I do wish you the best of luck with choosing a university, it is a tough decision. Hopefully you'll keep us posted about your decision. Also, if you do play football, I'd appreciate a copy of your strength training program that you recieve in the summer. Being a bit of a gym rat, I love trying different college training programs (I actually have quite a few from some of the larger universities and I rotate them monthly) because they all are remarkably different.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=firebrick]Thanks you for your support and attempt to help me. You remind me so much of my big sister it amazes me.

I wil get you my training program and workout sceduale. Oh yeah I bought this junk out of a Eastbay magazine that really helps me build up my strenght. It was some shoes that build leg muscles by making you stand on the tip of your toes and a vest with weights in it that you can attach a parchute to and run around with.

By the way may I ask what college you go to? You never seemed to mention it. ^_^[/color]

Maybe some of you (a bit further back) could do less to be condemning of others and more to actually be helpful. You've picked up a lot on the ego in Hell's Fire's posts, but that's pretty much where your argument ends.

What use is that.. all it really does is makes [i]you[/i] think you're better than someone and makes him angry towards you.

Who is the really arrogant one.. the one with the ego or the one with the arrogance to think he is even better than the one with the ego? Why don't you try bringing [i]your[/i]selves down to Earth and stop playing the humble man as a means to elevate yourselves- that is a complete contradiction, friends.

So yeah. when someone has a bit of an ego problem, try letting it go every now and then and actually being of use, rather than trying to look smart and condemning the person.

That's pretty much all I have to say on that matter.

Back to the subject.

I don't really go to college at the moment, and what we british people define as college is a little different from the majority of you.

In the UK, high school is from about age 11-16. Then college for us is the equivalent of your last two years of high school, 16-18, and then university at 18-21.

I quit uni this year, at 20.. and at the moment I do a course called Tribal Training at St Thomas' Church, Sheffield. Which is pretty much my main reason for being up here and my highest priority despite only taking up two days a week.

As for which place you should choose- I have no idea. I know too little about the places in question to really comment.

I'm a freshman in colloge. I went to a junior college where my parents lives. Saves me money for not having to pay for room and board. Im majoring in Mechainical Engineering, minoring in computer science. Also working on ceritfication in Drafting and Programming. When im done at the junior college i plan on going to South Dakota School of Mines and Technology.

[color=hotpink][size=1]Gah, the Dawgs tear up the Jackets any day.

I go to the University of Georgia and it is an amazing school for both academics and sports. I love the enviroment and the classes, even if there are alot of people in each. You get to do pretty much whatever you want, and the food is GREAT! ^_^ I love UGA, it's beautiful.

GO DAWGS![/color][/size]