OtakuBoards

Magic: The Gathering

Epitome

[size=1]I wasnt exactly sure where I should put this so I just put it in here. But anyway, does anyone play the card game or even play it online? If you play online I would be happy to play with you but if not, do you like playing the card game. So does anyone play?[/size]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Yeah I still play. I've been playing since about... since Alliances came out, if that means anything to you. It's been a while. I don't play nearly as much as I used to, though. I'm not as "into" it; it's expensive and I simply don't care enough. But occasionally I'll get together with a couple of my friends and we'll do a draft tournament or something.

I don't play online though. I don't know exactly, but it seems you have to buy digital cards, which to me seems a bit ridiculous. Well, especially for me, cause to put together the same level of decks I ACTUALLY have at this point would take a lot of effort and money.

Well, there's a program called Apprentice that you can use to play MTG online for free. It doesn't have the pictures of the cards though, just a graphic interface with the information on templates. It was once endorsed by Wizards of the Coast too somehow.

I somewhat play, but my deck isn't that great. I can't spend money on cards really when there's other things to buy and only so much fundage.:drunk:

I tried to get into Magic though I simply don't have the time nor really the patience to sit down and learn such a game. Some of the aspects of magic are really interesting like being able to counter during your opponents turn and battle phases. Though simply there's not enough time in my day to play two card games.

You can learn Magic pretty damn fast if you are shown how to play by someone that knows what they're doing. I think it only took me two games to understand most of it... the are some exceptions, but they're easy to look up or are printed on the cards heh.

I've played on and off for like 8 years now, I think. I stopped for a long time, but I randomly got Magic sets for Christmas. I still have no clue why... but I showed my brothers how to play and we had a good time.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Har, that's a funny story. My brother sat on a hypnotic specter of mine once, which annoyed me and forced me to proxy it from then on. I don't know if I ever had a favorite card though... well no I did. I loved Emperor Crocodile and Argothian Wurm (the artwork is awesome!) and I like my signed Kavu Titan (also great artwork). I have tons of better cards but those are my favs. ...off topic aren't I... but I've already posted so it's ok. Well to make up for it I'll speak for my bro: he started playing a bit after me, and cared so little for the game he'd only play about one game every six months. Nowadays he plays more because we do draft tournaments almost exclusively (and those are the most fun) but he is one of the few people I know who played magic for a while but NEVER got serious with it.

Yeah I play M:TG when I can. I think it's a really interesting game and is far more viable than Pokemon or Yugioh or whatever. I especially like the intricate art work and little passages they put onto the cards. It's one of the reasons why the Trokien High Guard is one of my favourites. I think it's safe to say that I favour white/plains above all.

Well, I've played Magic before, and... it was okay. I'm not much for cardgames, but it was a very strategic game. My friends are awesome at it, and they've got quite possibly the largest card collections I've seen.

(I'm glad that nobody has bursted into this thread screaming satanic affliction. I've seen that happen once. It's not a pretty thing...)

[color=royalblue]i've been playing magic for a while now. I usully start playing for a while then stop for a while then start and stop over and over. my fav card would have to be silvos rouge elimentel. that card is really cheep with its pay one to regenerate. just power it up a lot and its a great card. my fav color to play would have to be green. I really like all the power you can get with them :D. i've noticed that a lot of card games were based off of the gameplay of magic. pokemon was yugioh was and a few other card games that never got popular too.[/color]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Yeah my fav color is totally green. I love my elves!
Speaking of which, has any weirdo ever said he/she plays Magic BECAUSE they think it's satanic? That'd be hilarious.

Hey has anyone ever played Overpower? That's a card game that became mildly popular for a time but it was nothing like Magic at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest angelfire
i don't really know how to play. i've got about 800 cards but nobody around here knows how to play. would sum 1 please tell me the name of the site where you can play it online

My older brother taught me how to play a year ago, just after he graduated from high school. He gave the cards to me to pass down his school legacy of the best "Evil Elves" deck ever...I didn't have a clue what he was talking about then but when I finally USED the deck, it was FAST. I slaughtered dragons, goblins, orcs, almost anything that came in it's path. When I got some new cards, I further improved it and so made it so that slivers where a sinch to beat. It was one thing in my school to beat the best person in the school, whom used all those dragon legends in his deck and could get them out in three turns, but to bet the dude that beat that dude is really something.

You can find how to learn it at [url]www.wizards.com[/url] It'll show you the basics of how to play, what cards do what and so on and so on...

I do have a favorite color combonation... Green and white. I plan to perfect the green and white deck with the almighty Treva, the Renewer! *Godly coruses sing to the almighty name of Treva...*. Treva was my first draon legend card ever...I was so happy to have it but someone stole it from me two years ago...I'm going to get another one by next week though so PERFECTION CAN BE OBTAINED!!!

Err...sorry about that...I get a bit crazy when it comes to power...cause I'm a bit power hungry...power...must....feed...

Guys, I thank you for putting this up.

You are now reading a post from the single biggest collector of MTG in the south west of England. My collection is 150,000+ cards ranging back to Alpha and Beta edition.
Unfortunately, due to my location (England... dammit) I can't join any of the tournaments, or even find enough people to play against during my weekends on a regular basis.

As for decks, I run several at any one time, I have my traditional tournament evil ones, like the more recent Affinity mechanic based deck (can you get three 2/2s out on turn two and then two 4/4s out on turn three for the casual expense of 3 mana in total for the whole lot? That's affinity for you.) which is a tournament 40 card pre-constructed.
I also run a green/white/red Flaming Weenie deck for fun, alongside a red/green Kavu Beatdown deck using all pre-Oddessy cards. Then there's my blue/white Mystics using pure Oddessy block, and my black/white Cleric Storm that I favor now an again. Also I have two mono-white decks on the Onsaught theme of Tribal cards, one of Soldiers and the other of Angels.

Aside from that though, I never play the on-line game, as someone said before me, it would take too long to buy enough cards to get my collection, let alone my decks on par again.
Not to mention that the rares and older cards I run in my decks alone tally well over 100 pounds in real-time, let alone what they cost online.

But if anyone's willing to talk deck-lists (I wouldn't mind a look at that Evil Elves list) I also do tutoring of lists to help the aim of the deck. Just post up a deck and I'll poke holes in it until it works better than you thought it could before.

Anyway, I can't stay long, so I'll just say CFN and be on my way.

[COLOR=Indigo]Wow these popped up alot right before the switch to version 7. Well atleast the threads about Magic: the Gathering.

Personally I play, I've played off and on since 4th grade. So about ten yeras. Its never been anything really seriouse just grab a pack every once and a while and build a deck with what you got.

Right now I'm running an Artifact Red deck, its not too bad. The new Meriodion (sp) packs make artifacts so much better, I love them.

Lately, however, it seems that Magic has gotten a second wind so to speak. It died out (or atleast here in Kansas) from about 7-9th grade where virtually no one played it and this year its picked up speed and popularity again, its pretty cool.

But yea as I said I play Magic.[/COLOR]

we've had the same problem at my school too. Yu-gi-oh, that evil, evil game, is taking over the young minds of the underclass men. Lucky me, I have an even more evil mind...I've developed a formula to make YGO into Magic! And using this formula, I proved to them that YGO monsters are far weaker to the creatures of M:TG. Raise your hand if you'd like the formula...awww to hell with it. I'll post it anyways!

MY FORMULA TO TRANSFORM YGO TO M:TG!!!

First, we need a YGO monster...for this, we'll use BEWD

BEWD
Level 8
Light
Dragon
3000/2500

First, we need Power and Toughness. Reduce them attack and defence to single digit numbers and round up if needed.

3/3

The color is dependent on the element of the monster.

Light-White
Dark-Black
Pyro-Red
Air,Aqua-Blue
Earth-Green

So BEWD is:

White

The type of the creature depend on the type of the monster. So, the damn dragon is:
Dragon

Mana cost was a little difficult at first, but I found a way!

Mana cost is:
Level - 4 + One mana of the creature's color + One of it's color for each ability the creature possesses.

Just for kicks, BEWD has flying. So it's mana cost is:
3WW

So we have, all together:

Blue Eyes, White Dragon
3WW
Creature-Dragon Legend (Since it's so well known.)
Flying
3/3

Hope someone finds a good use for this!

Oh, and I'd love to post that deck but...it was dismantled by my sister...damn friggin' little...

[size=1][color=red] I still have all of my cards, but my collection mostly has starter cards, which are simple and don't do much.

I still play from time to time with my friend, but my friend recently got a girlfriend, so my time with him as been far and few (we also hadn't been doing much with each other anyway, so now it's even less).

I like the game. How it works and its mechanics are. I like the prospect of making combos, having other cards stack and create combinations with other cards.

The learning curve of the game is quite simple, and it's endlessly fun.

I've played it many days, all day, with my friend. It's a good time, and a good way to waste time at that too.

I still even have all my Pokemon cards. I used to have two Charizards, and a [i]first edition[/i] Dark Chairzard (and I just gave it away, because I was sick of Pokemon cards, and the Pokemon craze!) I also had a Blastiose, and all that good stuff. I still have a lot of those cards.

I should give them to a hobo.[/size][/color]

Favorite deck of mine when i used to play consisted of 2 avatars of woe, 4 royal assassins, 4 sand squids (for the royal assassins), tidal krakin, 3 misdirections, lots of counter spells, and a few 2/2,1/1 unblockable creature cards. I loved this deck and i had a smaller one kind of the same for tournament use. Works everytime for me.

[SIZE=2]I've been playing for about a month now, and can quite honestly say I am a mediocre player.
I'm a big fan of Slivers, and recently of Myrs, valuing green, blue and colourless decks most.
I usually collect Onslaught-block and Mirrodin, though I have a few 8th Ed. from the starter pack.
I'm willing to play anyone (though beating them is another matter entirely) so look out for 'Phloxcom Industries' online to play.[/SIZE]

I got that Magic Online starter kit for Christmas and just finally set it up online last night. Basically all the cards you get in the box, you can also use online by entering a code. The $10 joining fee is also waived.

The program is pretty nice. It seems to run exactly the same as the stanard single player game which I bought years back (but without the walking sections). The only issue is that the cards they give you for free make it nearly impossible to make a decent 60 card deck... unless you want to use three land types at once.

I'll probably buy another pack online just so I can play a little better, but I doubt I'll get that into it. It seems like a fun waste of time, though and I like how you can redeem your online cards for real ones.

I started playing about three months ago. I still am only average in skill, but since I play against others that have had years to play I am learning faster. At the very least I have created decks that can last awhile, and in a few cases have even beaten my opponents.

Here is my nastiest strategy for a deck: Blue deck with [i]Raven Guild Master[/i]s and [i]Brain Freeze[/i]s. Nothing better then forcing your opponent to dicard their entire library in only a few turns. The counterspell specialty of Blue decks is fun too. Kill 'em before they can be played. :devil: