OtakuBoards

Favourite Gaming Death Sequence

armana

Ahh, gaming death sequences. You've gotta love 'em. Have you ever killed yourself on purpose, just to see what happens? Well, I have. Death sequences make up a surprisingly integral part of the gaming pie. Where would we be without them? Sometimes, it even softens the blow of defeat to see your character spin around and fall, lifeless, to the ground. Sometimes. But anyway, to the point. I want to know what your favourite death sequence is, from any game. And this is my first thread so go easy on me, heh.

My favourite gaming death sequence is from Metroid Prime. Samus's scream, the cracked helmet - the first time I saw it, I really felt shocked. It was all so sudden. I felt a twinge of guilt, which made me want to go back and try again. There's just something about it that makes you feel... dead. Very effective stuff.

Of course, I can't leave without mentioning Zelda: Majora's Mask. I don't know if it really counts, because it only happens when your three days is up, but it really has the mother of all death sequences, because everything dies. It's a must see.

Heh, I thought this thread was for death [i]scenes[/i] at first. Ah well, I'll include my favorite death scene, too, just because I'm that cool.

My favorite death sequence is from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Link basically spins around, the screen turns red and he falls to the ground, with this funky scratchy musical sound in the background. It's quite cool, heh.

And I agree with you wholeheartedly on Majora's Mask - I actually died once or twice just to see that lol.

I also like Final Fantasy VI's because it's so melodramatic lol. After you die, the lead character in your party appears in front of a black screen and bows his/her head in sorrow. It's like...you lost one battle and you're depressed? lol

My favorite death scene [spoiler]is from Eternal Darkness. It happens at the end of Paul Luther's chapter. I loved it because it's just so unexpected when it happens. You think you're going to have a fight with the Black Guardian, then it just kills him. You're so nervous and then Paul is killed (differently, depending on which Artifact you chose) and then you're like "...damn."

For death scenes, though, I'm expecting people to choose Aeris's death scene in Final Fanatsy VII...I'm so sick of hearing about that lol. I never really cared for Aeris and seeing Sephiroth kill her was nice for a few seconds but people talk about it so damn often, heh.[/spoiler]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=blue]I would have to say, for the most part, my favorite death sequence was [spoiler]in Threads of Fate when you choose "Quit" from the [continue] submenu and a pumpkin drops out of no where and chases her as the screen fades to black and "Game Over" fades in.[/spoiler] It's my favorite because it's one of the funniest ones I've seen from a SquareSoft game.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=#0000ff]Now,if it was about the idioticness, it goes to [spoiler]Claire, also from Threads of Fate. Rue stood a chance against Doll Master, and he was holding his own... then Claire came at Doll Master with a hatchet. Claire's stupidity, yet lovingly sister/guardian-must-protect-little-rue feelings came to lead to her demise and set for the best plot in a SS game. But that's just me...[/spoiler][/color][/size][/font]

My favorite death sequence has to be from the old mario games. How he grabs his face, mouth wide open, then falls off screen. Hilariously classic.

My favorite death scene on the other hand... I don't really have one. Too many come to mind :)

[color=darkslateblue]Oh my..I've done it so many times I can't count. I love torturing my characters, I do it in Final Fantasy on purpose. :p

My favorite death scenes would have to be if I let myself get killed and beat up in Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, and in the end sometimes the death scene is a fatality, and I always enjoy fatality scenes, though I have yet seen them all because I completed that game such a while ago and didn't bother to pay attention, just to at least see some fatalities.[/color]

Favorite death scene? That is an easy one. I would vote for the death scene from [i]Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries[/i] when your mech gets destroyed. You see the burning husk of the mech through the eyes of your character, who is trying to crawl away, when a large, mech foot lands next to you. You see a pair of gun barrels swing into view, then is ends in a bright red flash.

That scene was amusing the second time around.

[color=indigo]My favorite death sequence would also have to be from Zelda: Majora's Mask, where the Moon falls at the end of the three days. It's not just the sequence itself that makes it what it is, though. It's also that feeling of desperation beforehand where you're racing against time to finish something and you don't quite make it. ... And then it's all over -- everything's gone.

My favorite death [i]scene,[/i] though, would have to be from Chrono Trigger, [spoiler]when Crono dies. That was a truly gut-wrenching experience for me. I was basically thinking, "No...no, this can't happen. He's my main character. He can't die. Everything's been riding on him for the whole game." Yet, he did, and was gone. ... Though not for too long, thankfully.[/spoiler][/color]

[color=#707875]Well, I'm going to be cliche and say that I liked the Aeris death sequence in Final Fantasy VII. [spoiler]It was the first time that I encountered a truly "cinematic" death sequence in a game. Actually, I didn't care much for Aeris at all - her character annoyed me. I preferred Tifa. I always saw Aeris as an annoyingly weak character. Sure, she had a role in the story and that role was important, but for various reasons, she always rubbed me up the wrong way. In any case, her death scene was definitely very dramatic and emotional. I thought that, at the time, it was probably the best death scene I'd encountered in a game. Few games seem to really kill off a main character and do it in a very bold, dramatic way. FFVII has to get some credit for that.[/spoiler]

But I don't know if it's my overall favourite sequence.

One of the coolest death sequences is in A Link to the Past. For some reason I really found that cute/funny and endearing...the way Link spins around and hits the ground face-first. lol And the sound effect that accompanies it is perfect. Very cool.

I also liked the death sequence in Super Mario 64. Have you ever noticed what happens when you die in the water? It's kind of...disturbing. lol

It's interesting to look at the way in which games handle these sequences, actually. Armana is very right in saying that this type of sequence plays a pretty big role in games, but we never really think about it. [/color]

My favourite death sequence would also have to be a tie between Zelda: Majoras mask and The legend of zelda: a link to the past.

But as for my favorite death scene there are about 3-4 cool ones but there from the same game. That game is Final Fantasy X. [SPOILER]The first one is when you finish the first fight with yunalesca. With me i was thinking "If she dies then how the hell will i be able to destroy sin." Man that was a cool one. [/SPOILER]

The second one was when you *Finnaly* kill sin and then you get sucked into sin. then you go through the dead sea. Then you have to fight seymore i cant remember how it goes.

The 3rd one [SPOILER]doesent really die (as hes already dead) but its when you kill the final boss and then yuna starts to send auron. I couldent belive it and i didnt want to (caus aurons my fav charecter) and also when tidus dissaperes with all the other faythes (as he is one(i think))[/SPOILER] that was sad. well thats all from me cya.

I always found the death animations from the first few Sonic games funny. It pops out at you, with a "dunk" in the background, and Sonic has this crazy expression on his face. XD Funny funny funny.

The death sequence in Metal Gear Solid is pretty cool too. Seeing the words "game over" spelt out while a random CODEC helper person screams out Snake's name.

As for death sequence, probably MGS SPOILERS [SPOILER]Grey Fox's death. It was just so dramatic. His speech really added alot to the scene, then seeing REX stamp on him...This isn't my favourite death scene because Grey Fox dies, I actually really like him, its just that it looks so cool. XD[/SPOILER]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Really my favorites are random deaths from multiplayer games I've played. I don't know if they truly count, but I have some great memories from Smash Bros Melee, such as when I grabbed my friend's bada** Pikachu with my hookshot (I was Link), threw him down into the ground, then sword-spun him up into the air at an angle of 85% CCW to the origin, and then reflected a Samus super charge beam (fired at me by another of my buddies) into that Pikachu, sending the pokemon flying into the screen. It just looked so awesome on my part that we all cracked up. ...although maybe it is one of those "you had to be there" things. Anyway, those are my kind of death scenes.

My favourite death sequence is from... *thinks* FF7. Twice. Seeing the look of shock on Sephiroth's face all bloodied up and stuff just did it for me. It was fulfilling, seeing this great evil dead after so much efort through out the game.

And, I'll be like James. Aeris' Death. But unlike James I liked Aeris... I tried actively to prevent her death *fruitless as it was*. For non-cinematics though, I choose Aeons dieing in FFX. The way they stumble, then go clear and disappear as pyreflies. Awesomeness.

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Shin, I had the same reaction in that part of Eternal Darkness. Even though it's pretty much the same thing with each Artifact(big stain on the floor).

My favourite death scene is in Eternal Darkness at the end when [spoiler]Pious is almost dead and he's just lying there and Alexandra walks over to him and he says, "The Darkness is not so easily defeated. No, young fool. My death...Is only the beginning." Then Alexandra grabs his staff and spears him with it. It kinda made me think "When will the sequel be out?"[/spoiler]

A number of others come to mind, too. Majora's Mask after three days, Metroid Prime's game over screen. Probably one of the more notable ones is in Resident Evil on the Cube where you try to walk over the bridge in Neptune's "cage" while it's still filled with water, it's almost Jaws like [spoiler]to see the camera coming up through the water and focusing on your character. Then it switches to a view of them on the bridge and BAM. Neptune comes up and tears them apart.[/spoiler]

I'm sure I could keep this post going for a hell of a lot longer but I think I'll leave it at that.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]Oh, some thread! Let's talk about [i][b]DEATH[/b][/i] lol!

[i]My[/i] favorite death scene? Well, I'll just list the ones that make me snort.

In FF X-2, whenever I defeat a She-Goon/Ms. Goon, they say "Bleh!" and fall down and disappear. Another is whenever Rikku dies wearing a certain Dressphere (I can't remember which); she falls on her face with her butt sticking up in the air.

The coolest on the SNES would be Super Metroid, when Samus's suit explodes. I dunno why, but it sorta creeps me out, and the animation's neat (er...yeah).

But my [i]favorite[/i] death scene would have to be, you guessed it, [spoiler][i]AERIS'S DEATH!![/i] Okay, okay, I admit I cried the first time, but after that, I couldn't help but feel a twinge of glee.[/spoiler] I don't like her. Reason?

For crying out loud, she's a ****in' flower vendor with a [i]stick,[/i] lol![/COLOR][/size]

My favourite death scene would be when you kill the Land Sharks on Suikoden 2, They just go under for a second then jump out and fade away.

[spoiler]I will have to go with James though with the Aeris death scene on FF7, It's so funny because I can't stand her, When this happened I was jumped on my bed going Aeris is dead, Aeris is dead, Aeris is dead...... Because you have to hate her flower lovingness. I know, I know, go and call me a psycho.[/spoiler]

[size=1][color=blue]Added spoiler tags. - Shinmaru[/size][/color]

Its not really a death sequence but when you finally [SPOILER] defeat Ansem in Kingdom Hearts was a great one. His third form took me forever to defeat (the one where he's attached to that creepy monster thingy). When you finally see his heart (after saving Donald and Goofy), basically defenseless, it filled me with a huge feeling of gaining back control. I actually yelled out "Your going down, mother-****er!" at the top of my voice before realising that the rest of my family was in the next room. Just having that hear in front of you, utterly defenseless, it makes you feel that you could finally remove those damn Heartless once and for all! [/SPOILER] Good stuff.

The saddest actual death scene is a toss up between [SPOILER]Shadow's 'death' in Sonic Adventure 2[/SPOILER] and [SPOILER]Emerl's death in Sonic Battle. Both were such great characters that added another dimension to the Sonic Universe. Shadow giving up his life after finally realising why he was created and for Maria was really touching, as was Emerl's sad death at the hands of his friend Sonic.[/SPOILER] Truly touching.

Fav dying animation would have to go to E102 Gamma's when attached to your Emerl in Sonic Battle. Its always funny to see when your Emerl dies at the hands of your friend, only to see his character suprisingly annihilated by an explosion from your corpse! Classic.

[quote name='Daermon_Nashabe][spoiler']I will have to go with James though with the Aeris death scene on FF7, It's so funny because I can't stand her, When this happened I was jumped on my bed going Aeris is dead, Aeris is dead, Aeris is dead...... Because you have to hate her flower lovingness. I know, I know, go and call me a psycho.[/spoiler][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]Lol!! :rotflmao: If only you slipped...

What I thought was sadder than this is when [spoiler]Zero supposedly died in Mega Man.....X5? (I forgot ~_~; ) And in X6, when it showed the "story so far" cutscene, it retold it saying "And only one of them returned (or would return)."[/spoiler] My favorite video game character ever, meeting his doom.

Oh, well. I'll have him alive forever once I finish drawing him in art class, lol![/color][/size]

I don't really have a favorite death sequence, but as for a death scene, my favorite has to be when [spoiler]Dingo (your character) dies in ZOE2. He's just had his *** handed to him by Anubis and is in one of BAHRAM's battleships. In a corridor, he encounters his old boss, Nohman, who is also the pilot of Anubis (Dingo pilots Jehuty). Dingo refuses Nohman's offers and is about to head back to the room he's being kept in when Nohman suddenly pulls out a gun and shoots him in the back. Several times (Cowardly, isn't it? Then again, Nohman's never really any different. Even in the final battle, he constantly teleports away). Fortunately, Ken Marinaris (Daughter of a late friend of Dingo's, Richard Marinaris) manages to get Dingo into stasis quickly enough to save his life.[/spoiler] Even though I knew that that would happen, haveing read about it, it was still an awesome scene to watch.

*sob* *sob*, You're all so cruel and mean about Aeris' death. I LOVED HER FOR THE GOD LIKE LIMIT BREAKS!!! And her cute petite look XD. Regardles of the hippy personality :laugh:.

My favorite Sequence for death is....

[quote name='dark_serena']In FF X-2, whenever I defeat a She-Goon/Ms. Goon, they say "Bleh!" and fall down and disappear. Another is whenever Rikku dies wearing a certain Dressphere (I can't remember which); she falls on her face with her butt sticking up in the air. [/quote]

It's thief me thinks. So hillarious :laugh:.

I have 1 ciinematic in my mind but I can't put it in words....