OtakuBoards

Mortal Kombat: Deception

BlueYoshi

[color=teal]First off, Mortal Kombat: Deception will be a PS2 and Xbox release only, excluding the GameCube from its development. Reason being that the GameCube made poor sales following the previous game, MK: DA, in comparison to the competition, and Midway are planning to conclusively discontinue the overall Mortal Kombat GameCube line up all together.

So what now? Another blood-fest with a hilarious dialogue and a feisty story line? That's not necessarily what the previews out there think. Mortal Kombat has always been about the fighting and violence involved within it ever since MK1, never about the competitiveness and the ranks, and after each instalment was released players found that the franchise became more brutal each time. Mortal Kombat 4 introduced 3D environments and categorised weapons, which provided a much wider span for this, Deadly Alliance improvised on the surrounding, making them more dangerous in-game. And now, Deception brings out the best of both worlds, bringing them both together and so much more.

Following DOA2's concept of driving your opponent off high cliffs and destructible environments, Midway have implemented that route and merged it into Deception, and there's no doubt that we won't be seeing a more bloody sequence upon falls and such. Also, within the cruel depths of the slightly enhanced Mortal Kombat arenas are 'Hot Spots'. Hot Spots consist of three different areas in each level, if you can tactically manoeuvre your opponent into stepping into one of these areas then it's game over for them. Admittedly, it does bring you around to think more about where you move and focuses mainly on the ability to side-step, but when it comes down to the crunch, I generally want to watch two players repeatedly bashing each other in the head with fists and huge objects, heh. It almost wraps around a state of seldom and non-stop turtling.

Midway has diverged from the traditional Fatality system, too. This time, instead of waiting till the end of the match to perform your gruesome finale, you simply step on a panel engraved onto the arena floor, indicated as a red square. Seriously, that won't be nice for the more serious players since almost anyone can now completely turn the match around by the push of a button, even more-so by stepping on it by accident. But, in the light of all this... 'brokeness'?, a more skilful dynamic has been revealed as MK will now contain counter attacks within fights. Basically, when your opponent is open to an attack, a set of lights will appear practically [i]telling[/i] you to counter, obviously though, you have the option to toggle this feature on or off to work on your own reflexes and such, heh.

Other modes include Konquest, which has a touch of a role-play element to it very similar to that of Deadly Alliance, and to brighten things up in the dark and dreary world of Mortal Kombat, there's also MK Chess and Puzzle Kombat, but that doesn't rest assured the fact that it won't be gory to say the least.

Mortal Kombat is changing, for the better by the sounds of it, and with online capabilities for all three game modes, who knows what to expect. With a little bit of spark MK: Deception could be the knight in shining armour that saves old-school arcade gaming.[/color]

[img]http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/514/514772/mortal-kombat-deception-20040513011408239.jpg[/img]

[img]http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/514/514772/mortal-kombat-deception-20040513011410582.jpg[/img]

[img]http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/mkdeception_032404_02_1080150596.jpg[/img]

[color=teal]Konquest mode, MK Chess, and Puzzle Kombat:[/color]

[img]http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/514/514772/mortal-kombat-deception-20040513011402458.jpg[/img]

[img]http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/514/514772/mortal-kombat-deception-20040513011419144.jpg[/img]

[img]http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/514/514772/mortal-kombat-deception-20040513011424424.jpg[/img]

[right][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=sienna] Wow. I had heard rumors about a new MK game, but I wasn't sure if it was really coming out or not. This sounds interesting, but I have to admit that I'm not too thrilled. I really did not enjoy Deadly Alliance as much as others. I have no idea why. It just must have been that I was still used to and loved the original Mortal Kombats. And now hearing that a player can just step on a pad in the game and automatically perform a fatality, kind of gets me wondering how easy it will be for people to win. [/color][/size][/font]
[/right]
[right][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=sienna] I wonder what characters will be coming back and how many new ones there will be. I think the lady in the first picture is Cindel and I can tell Baraka in one of those too, but that's about it. I hope that they bring back Drahmin. He was so cool looking. I didn't play good with him, but he looked cool.[/color][/size][/font][/right]
[right][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=#a0522d][/color][/size][/font] [/right]
[right][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=#a0522d] Is the enemy in this one going to be the Dragon King, or something like that. Because it said something about him coming back on Raiden's ending on Deadly Alliance. That's all I could remember though.[/color][/size][/font][/right]
[right][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=#a0522d][/color][/size][/font] [/right]
[right][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=#a0522d] Well from what I've heard, it does sound ok. Like I said, I'm not too thrilled about it though. But I will most likely end up buying it anyway just because I really like the Mortal Kombats. Does anyone know a release date yet?[/color][/size][/font][/right]
[right][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=#a0522d]-ry[/color][/size][/font][/right]

[font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=sienna][/color][/size][/font] [font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=sienna]Ok. Well that makes another XBOX game I have to start saving for. It will probably disappoint me, but I will give it a chance. I never, know. It may surprise me. Hopefully it will.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=#a0522d][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=#a0522d]-ry[/color][/size][/font]

• 4 months later...
Now, This game, and X-Men Legends Just came out. I have yet to Play legends, and there is a different thread for that one just down the page.

I would Like opinions, and expectations of those that have played or wish to play this game.

I play it on xbox, so, if it's on any other system, please let me know how gameplay is on other systems.

It seems to be a little slow in Kombat mode(versus style fighting) I think it's because of the Xbox controller. Not easily compatible with this game.

I do like the extras. Known as Chess Kombat. Puzzle Kombat.

I do Like the Konquest feature. Makes it much better for us RPG gamers. I needed a good break from fable.

The profile feature is also fun, as well as Kurrency, and the ability to unlock costumes and other videos based on the amount of koin you have.

Thoughts?

MK: Deception has been getting quite stellar reviews lately. I've not had the chance to play it, as it's an Xbox/PS2 exclusive, as my Xbox is very much dead, and as my brother's PS2 is in his room, a part of the house I never venture into, out of fear of some monster devouring my soul. Come to think of it, some of Dan's friends never returned after hanging out in there, which mildly frightens me.

But in the reviews I've read of Deception, the main game/Online play seems to be the best part of the game. I hear it's [i]incredibly[/i] fine-tuned and provides a previously unrealized level of gameplay in the MK series. It sounds fast, brutal, unforgiving, and funny, of course. There are parts of the game that are pretty hilarious, apparently, and this only increases my urge to play Deception, because, let's face it. Pain is funny, and MK excels in inflicting pain, so therefore, it's funny. Plus, who wouldn't laugh their -ss off when they Shadow Kick some unsuspecting fool through a wall, to have him land some fifty feet below, where the fight continues? It's just fun stuff.

I'm not terribly excited about Konquest mode, though; it doesn't strike me as anything innovative or all that entertaining, really. But Kombat Chess and Puzzle Kombat...I'm looking forward to that. :D It's Mortal Kombat meets Chessmaster. How can you go wrong? Simply, you can't.

Deception was actually announced for GameCube somewhat recently. I guess they just put it on the backburner as it didn't do as well on GC as it did on other systems (although it still sold a couple hundred thousand copies, I believe... not so bad).

Supposedly the best one yet, so I might check it out. I've never been into the series, but the MK-style battle chess (obviously based off of the rather violent PC game, Battle Chess it seems) looks quite cool, as does that puzzle game.

• 5 months later...
Guest physco
hi who likes mortal combat deception? i love it so much gore it is so cool. does anyone know how to unlock characters? and what about onega the dragon king does he rule or what?

[color=#4B0082]I merged this with the first thead. Before creating a new game-specific thread, please use the search function to check if one's already been made. (Advanced search plus search in thread titles only works especially well for this.) Thanks. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]

yeah it is so cool but i did not realize that by just simply walking on to a square would and pressing square would cause fatality thank you though i wil try it

[color=#4B0082]Another thing. ... Double posting is against the [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?][u]rules[/u][/url] here -- please use the edit post function instead. *merges the posts* - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]