OtakuBoards

Graduating Seniors

Vegitto4

Let me first say, Congrats. As one of you, I know the relief of knowing that all Mandatory schooling is now complete. Now begins the rest of our lives. (w00t)

To all the Graduates, please feel free to express the feelings you felt when you took The Walk. Also, please let us know what you are going to try to do with the rest of your life.

To all the ones who have a few years, or just one, to go, post your expectations.

I, for one, don't have the rest of my life planned. I have at least the next 4 years of life signed away, as I have joined the USMC for 4 years of active duty. (my MOS is Infantry)

The Walk wasn't that great for me. I just didn't feel much. Probably because I only had to take 2 of my Final Exams. Both of which were easy. Once I withdrew from school, I was over. I didn't have anything else to do. Walking the stage seemed almost pointless, but I did it for my parents. But sitting through a class of 1168......man, that was boring

So, anyone else from the Otaku Class of o4?

[size=1]Pomp and Circumstance. That moving piece of music, played at every graduation, is so aptly titled. *sweet smile*

I graduated a week ago. If I was feeling anything as I got my diploma* it was impatience. The whole thing was this convoluted ceremony that I really couldn't stand. It didn't help that our principal is a man that I've just never liked. (And one with whom I'd had a slight disagreement a few days before.) I had to shake his hand. I was not pleased.

The ceremony itself was too long. No one wants to hear the head of the Board of Education (great guy though he is) talk about the future. They just want the thing to be over, and [i]soon[/i], so they can get out of the gymnasium and go to whatever they're doing next. I guess I'm lucky my class was so small (50 people.) If I'd had to sit through a graduation like the ones our local public schools have, I would have probably strangled myself with my cord. :whoops:

I'm going to the Uni of Minnesota, Twin Cities next fall. (It's by the Mall of America, for those of you who are more shopping than geography-minded.) They'll give me money if I try and major in German, so I guess I'm going to try to pull that off. I really love words/language/linguistics, so whether or not I stick with German (I've already taken it for four years...how boring. I need to learn something new!) I'm sure it will be closely related.

*Diploma [i]case[/i], actually. They don't give out our diplomas until after the ceremony is finished.[/size]

[quote name='Lore][size=1']Pomp and Circumstance. That moving piece of music, played at every graduation, is so aptly titled. *sweet smile*[/size][/quote]

Haha, ain't that the truth? :p

I graduated this past Wednesday. Luckily, our graduation ceremony was a whole hour less than I was expecting it to be and the weather was not too bad, so it wasn't too harsh to sit through. We went through the whole graduation ceremony, which included the horribly cliche valedictorian speech that, of course, was said in a horribly sweet tone, so as to give the parents a nice show. Hip hip hooray. Much more meaningful was the time that I spent with my friends afterwards, getting some hugs and goodbyes, while signing yearbooks and receiving my diploma (like [strike]Sara[/strike] Lore, we also received our diplomas after the actual ceremony).

As for college, I shall be attending Cal Poly Pomona, which is about a half hour or so from my current home. I can't live at the college as of yet, so the close proximity is ideal for commuting. Luckily, it's a good school, as well lol. I'll be majoring in Journalism, though I don't know if I'll be going into journalism once I finish school...I know I'll be going into something writing related, though. We'll see what happens.

Holy Crap.....You're going Marine Infantry?

Have fun with that.

While your in the sandbox fighting off PO'ed Iraqis, I'll be sitting in a hangar figuring out where the hell an open wire is on a KC-135 (AFSC=MOS-Electrical and Enviromental Systems 2A636)

Wait...thats quite boring....

[font=Arial][color=darkred]I don't graduate till late Sep (Australian School system) and after that the final state run exams have to be sat. for those three weeks in late Oct/ early Nov are going to be a living hell. After that a long wait ensues till I find out whether or not I made it into uni which doesn't happen till mid January.[/color][/font]

[color=darkviolet]Lost prophet, welcome back! HOw's AIT (or whatever) treating you?)

I graduated in '99 they played our school song and Pomp and Circumstance.

I think my favorite memory of the whole thing was was when this prissy girl who was always picking on me tripped on her stupid spice girl shoes. I still watch the video for that.

Walking down the stage was fun. My class graduated at the War Memorial in the same place where the Amerks play hockey. I was just happy to be out of there.

Best of luck to all of you. The kids in my area just started Final Exams and don't graduate until 24, June as always

Hey, Vegitto. Have fun being a jarhead and grunt all at once! Sorry, military humor-bad military humor.

One more thing! Don't call your sergeants sir, they'll all tell you that they work for a living.[/color]

[quote name='Lore][size=1']I guess I'm lucky my class was so small (50 people.) If I'd had to sit through a graduation like the ones our local public schools have, I would have probably strangled myself with my cord. :whoops:[/size][/quote][size=1]455 graduating seniors! Woo! o_O That was not even the entire class, lol. We also had the diploma cases handed out at the actual ceremony, heh.

I felt nothing special with my "walk." I was just bored having to sit through all those names, lol. It is not as though it was the peak of my life, nor was I not expecting to graduate. So there was nothing really all that special about it aside that I was just graduating from high school. College, maybe that will be something different.

In terms of college, I have been accepted to the University of Nebraska at Lincoln, and I am looking into their college of Journalism & Mass Communications. I am still debating what I definitely want to major in, but will settle on News-Editorial if nothing else seems appealing; the only other two majors in that college would be Advertising and Broadcasting. I think News-Editorial will be fine, though. I just need to try and "decode" this New Student Enrollment book. There are so many extraneous things in it, I get confused as to what I am looking at.

The main thing I am worried about is being able to pay for it. Earlier I had a friend tell me I am, quote, "failing at life." That upset me a bit ... but eh. I am actually farther along in getting everything with enrollment settled than he is, so whatever. Just because I have no job/car/etc. does not make me a failure. *bold, proud stance*[/size]

[quote name='PiroMunkie][size=1']Just because I have no job/car/etc. does not make me a failure. *bold, proud stance*[/size][/quote]
[color=indigo]It's all about the Rupees -- er, student loans -- Piro. :p

Anyway, I'm now a junior myself, so I've still got half the way to go. Really, though, I doubt I'm even going to have a real graduation ceremony. More than likely, I'll just end up taking the CHSPE ([u]C[/u]alifornia [u]H[/u]igh [u]S[/u]chool [u]P[/u]roficieny [u]E[/u]xamination) instead of officially completing high school, since passing it is legally equivalent to graduating. Not to mention that I'm homeschooled, so if there were to be a graduation ceremony, it would most likely be completely optional.

Also, I've already started taking a few classes out at a community college through concurrent enrolement (well, one last semester, and I'm planning on taking two more out there during fall semester), so I'm already getting somewhat used to "college life." Meaning that the official transition between high school and college probably won't change much, aside from the amount of fees I'll have to pay.

Whoo.[/color]

I graduated one week ago, with a class of 83 other seniors. We had a congressional candidate as our speaker (who happened to not win, although I don't think that would have made his speech any better..). Our class song was "So Far Away", by Staind. Luckily the rain let up, and we had it outside. Speeches were what you would expect, from the valedictorian and the one co-saluditorian. I made a speech too, but it wasn't like the "cliched" graduation speech I think. We had an empty chair with a cap and gown, flowers and a diploma for someone in our class who died last year of cancer... then after we got our diplomas, we formed a circle, and let ballons fly in tribute for him. All in all, it was a time of goodbyes, and reassurances that I would never have to see the people in my class that I didn't like ever again... unless it was in passing.

First Off, I have to say this. Congrats to all '04 Graduates. I remember being in your shoes....last year.

Second, I hate Sheppard AFB, but the Tech School is pretty cool. My instructor is awesome. I'm about 1 month out from Graduation (July 22nd....would have been 15th if I wouldnt have gotten washed back....), and we're working on a C-130 right now (the planes that throw Airborne Crazies out the back). I love it. It's a really good experience....

Not to get off topic or anything, but this is MY graduation...soon

Hey, will, all these people hve small classes. 50.....83....455.......so small and petite. Having a class that was more than twice the largest mentioned has it's advantages....it's easy to not know everybody.

Oh, I'll have alot of fun in the sand. More fun than staring at wires..........

To CHW-In the Corps, you call everybody above you Sir or Ma'am after the initial greeting of their rank. If you call a Drill Instructor anything but Sor or Ma'am, you Die. That's the nice way to go.

My Nii-chan graduated this year. I've talked to him and he said it was a big thing for him since he was so anxious to get to college and along with his career as a historian. >_< eep. Well my second best friend graduated this year too. And she was crying cuz she hated school so much, but also hated the Idea of moving on to a new life. All I know is that when school starts up.....I'll be a sophomore next year...and I DUN WANNA EVER GRADUATE. I'm afraid of growing old...... >_< I love my life right now. I don't want it to change.

I am graduating this year, but alas! I cannot participate in graduation due to a prank that the school didn't find amusing (those of us involved did, haha!).

So come friday night I have to sit home twidling my thumbs and wonder when my diploma will come in the mail. I don't suppose it matters anyway, walking Graduation isn't a big deal to me, I just want to move on with my life to...... *drumroll*

COLLEGE!!!!!

Oh wait, don't you have a graduation there too?

maybe next time.

To those who are walking graduation, those that have, or those that will, I wish ya the best of luck!

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]Meh, graduation. The original location of my school's graduation was pre-empted by the Tampa Bay Lightning's games, so we graduated in the Florida state Fairgrounds, in the same room they auction livestock. Oddly appropriate, I suppose.

In her speech to the class, my principal told us we were the yeast that made the bread of the future. Excellent analogy, eh? Yeast die in the process of making bread, smothered to death in their own filth. wh00t.

People say you forget everything about high school five years afterwards; well, it only took me a month. tHe shallow, self-serving exercise in irreverence is over now; yay, we didn't die, fail or drop out for four years. May we get on to the real world now?

Dang, I'm not usually bitter.

Anyway, i'm going to the honors program of Hillsborough Community College. Finally, something that matters.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Vegitto4']To CHW-In the Corps, you call everybody above you Sir or Ma'am after the initial greeting of their rank. If you call a Drill Instructor anything but Sor or Ma'am, you Die. That's the nice way to go.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]I'm just going by what my husband told me in Army Basic Training. He called his DS sir and he replied. 'Don't call me sir, I work for a living.' Oh well, maybe Army DS are more laid back than MArine DS. Not that I really know, I've only had experiance with the ex navy DS I have as a riding instructor. :eek:

Just promise to come back to the Board with good Basic Training stories. Like if a DS mispronounced your name and you ignored them until they got uin your face and asked if you heard them. Then you say, I heard you Drill Segeant, but I thought you were calling so and so my name is : Either he or she will say nothing, or have you push until you see Jesus. Either way, you have a good story.

Oh and don't believe anything they say about Salt Peter in the food, it does nothing to cure the urges-or so I've heard :devil: [/color]