OtakuBoards

Why doesn't anyone sign up for my RPG?

Albel the Wicked

How honest an opinion would you like?

I'm in a bit of a rush right now, but I'd like to start off the replies in this thread by mentioning what is perhaps the most obvious problem.

Your title states:

The Dark Tournament (I couldn't think of anything else...)

If your TITLE already announces shortcomings, why will people go ANY further into exploring your RPG?

Also, what you've written isn't actually an RPG... at least not really an RPG as per the standards of OB. It's more of a battle thread, with vague references to a story line. If you don't want bios from people, what kind of RPG is this? You've basically told people to choose a sex, choose a name, choose one or two weapons, and start fighting.

I would suggest that you read the Stickies posted in The Arena forum, and try to incorporate more story elements into this RPG

Good luck!

Phil

If you really would like to, then I'll post something probably tomorrow. At this time, I am somewhat otherwise occupied. However, what I will say is, your story in Metallicon is summed up in one paragraph. At first glance, it bores the senses (I don't mean that sarcastically), and just looks like a lot of sentences jumbled together.

Your sign-up looks very much like any other sign-up, and when that accompanies a story, it leaves WAY TOO MUCH to the imagination; you have a general lack of interest.

I hope that sorta' makes sense. I'll be happy to help you out further if you want. Though, before you decide that, you should probably check on MY posts to see if you even want my opinion.

Cheers,
Phil

Metalicon doesn't seem to have any sort of actual plotline . . . just "an adventure through space."

Perhaps if you stated a goal and a purpose for the space-travels, more people would be interested. Why are you going into space? What are you trying to accomplish?

You may have commented on these things, but the presentation of your idea is fairly unclear. I might have missed them.

[QUOTE=Balmon]If you really would like to, then I'll post something probably tomorrow. At this time, I am somewhat otherwise occupied. However, what I will say is, your story in Metallicon is summed up in one paragraph. At first glance, it bores the senses (I don't mean that sarcastically), and just looks like a lot of sentences jumbled together.

Your sign-up looks very much like any other sign-up, and what that accompanies a story that leaves WAY TOO MUCH to the imagination, you have a general lack of interest.

I hope that sorta' makes sense. I'll be happy to help you out further if you want. Though, before you decide that, you should probably check on MY posts to see if you even want my opinion.

Cheers,
Phil[/QUOTE]

Now that I've read this I see why MY rpg didn't go to well.... Thanks.

Okay, now to say a few words. Sometimes people just aren't interested with the subeject you chose. For example, I like MegamanX and EXE, but not Legends. If someone starts a Legends RP I'm bound not to go. Also sometime's it helps if you show you put work into your RP. Don't go and write the bible now, just put some detail into it. And now if you'll excuse me, I have to try my hand at an RP, and see if maybe I need to put more detail myself.

[QUOTE=oshi]Metalicon doesn't seem to have any sort of actual plotline . . . just "an adventure through space."

Perhaps if you stated a goal and a purpose for the space-travels, more people would be interested. Why are you going into space? What are you trying to accomplish?

You may have commented on these things, but the presentation of your idea is fairly unclear. I might have missed them.[/QUOTE]

Well, I did say that we are looking for prject Metalicon, but your right, i didn't get too much into detail on that project now did I? Well I'll be sure to post it there when I edit it.

It's like this: Your RPG has to have a plot and characters.
Aside from the usual "Name" or "Appearance" try asking for more relevant specifics like "How are they related to the main character".

Then the plot. We have what we call "elements of a plot."
[U]1. Exposition:[/U] Basically a sort of introduction to the story. It tells you everything you need to know to understand the story. This is where the story unfolds and the stage is set. You absolutely must write this.
[U]2. Rising action:[/U] In here, the conflict is revealed. Make clear the real problem of the story. You only have to give the characters an idea of what they have to do so as not to make your RPG "too constricting." Then go wild with it!

Then it's up to the characters:
[U]3. Climax:[/U] or "turning point," as some would put it.
[U]4. Falling action:[/U] a series of inevitable events that arise from the climax
[U]5. Resolution:[/U] The End.

Hope that helps!
(And please correct me if I got anything wrong. It will be most helpful]

Like Balmon mentioned, the fact that Metalicon's summary consists of one really long paragraph is pretty deterring. Also, the sentences don't really flow together, and feel a little awkward. Personally, if I read something aloud and it doesn't feel like something I could've just said in normal conversation, I know that my writing was awkward. Good writing is very important to some people. For example, I'm not overly interested in science fiction, but with an amazing description someone may still be able to pull me into a science fiction RPG.

Also, you should keep in mind that sometimes people just don't sign up for RPGs that are very deserving. It's just one of those things. Like Legault said, sometimes people just aren't interested in the particular subject matter you chose. Also, around this time many people are going back to school and feel like they won't have as much time online as they usually do, so that may be a factor as well.

I do feel like stories in general should have a plot like eternity suggested. However, I feel like sometimes telling the whole plot in the RPG recruitment thread may make members feel like they won't have enough freedom in the actual game. It sort of depends on how structured you want to make your RPG.

A constructive advice for you, Misenki: play before you create!

What I mean is that you should experience the world of OB roleplaying by signing up to other people's games first. Then and only then you know what is required from a good RPG, and what makes it a flop. After you're absolutely sure you have a good, if not great, idea for a game of your own, then you go ahead and make one!

I often hold back my own ideas until I'm sure it is ready enough to last at least few pages - or more importantly, people will enjoy playing it. That's the key, simply put.

I've only skimmed through your rpgs, but here's some advice. Play many rpgs before creating them. Read the stickies. Improve upon your profile and get more known to RPers as a good poster and they will be more interested. Make the title interesting, and make the backstory good. You also wanna make it more detailed and neat. Your posts are too vague. When you post you need to become the character, get into it more, ya know? Those are some helpful tips. Also get some graphics for the rpg from someone and make it more presentable.

Good luck Misenki....

Also you should post in other rp's first like the other people say.You need to look at the real popular ones so you can see which ones we like so when you post one like that you will be flooded with hits.Sorry this is late I just noticed this thread lol.

Well Misenki, I don't think I've ever accually read any of your RP's, but from what I gather, they are like a Morrowind stile in which the story isn't mapped out for you, and infact you have no idea what you are striving for. Some people (including me) like this stile, but some don't. I think it is to "Real life" like, and some people want to know the general direction the story will go, so I suggest that you take your basic Ideas, and slowly work them up to stories and even add in specific plot twists that you want to put in now an again to make it interesting. (I have been working like this on a game I hope will do well for some time).

Now this is just me, and I am no Grand RPer/Designer by far, accually I'm much like you, just trying to get a good RP out there...

[COLOR=Blue]Why hasen't anyone relied to my RPG? I put it up a few days ago, and no one has replied. I know how to do RPGs and I've read and been in a few, so I know what I'm doing. Is it the story that people don't like? Or has no one even bothered to read it?[/COLOR]

[quote name='Lynn Luck][COLOR=Blue']Why hasen't anyone relied to my RPG? I put it up a few days ago, and no one has replied. I know how to do RPGs and I've read and been in a few, so I know what I'm doing. Is it the story that people don't like? Or has no one even bothered to read it?[/COLOR][/quote]

I read it juat now, and it sounds like you made it up in about two seconds. I would advise putting more detail and thought into it, perhaps adding some more plot and explain some things (i.e yokai, the kingdoms, shadow, other creatures, the island, the islands response to the shadow, ect.) Your story could really be summed up into "There was once paradise until bad people came to destry it."

[COLOR=Teal][SIZE=1]Yeah you gotta put more about the story.To me any rpg topic that only has a paragraph with only a paragraph of the story that means it is probably going to die down,the person who is writing it is un experienced,and the story is boring.But if you make more than a paragraph and think it is good I don't know what to do then because little people sign up for my rpg's also.You gotta make the RPGs be and look very intresting which will attract more people I guess.Also never be to pickey because people won't sign up for it then I think. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Squall']I read it juat now, and it sounds like you made it up in about two seconds. I would advise putting more detail and thought into it, perhaps adding some more plot and explain some things (i.e yokai, the kingdoms, shadow, other creatures, the island, the islands response to the shadow, ect.) Your story could really be summed up into "There was once paradise until bad people came to destry it."[/quote]

[COLOR=Teal]*ahem* I didn't tell everthing about the story for a reason. I wanted the readers to learn more about the Shadows, Gods and so on as the story progressed. If the learned to much when they first started, that would ruin the mystery about it. Makes sense doesn't it? Who knows, maybe people will like it when they read some of it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal][SIZE=1]Don't copy my favorite font color -.- lol.Also you should include that in you plot if you already did then forget what I just said.I didn't read that I am just writing this from memory so I might be wrong.

::Edit::
-Wait no you didn't include that.Maby in the future when you start another rp you should include it.Besides that doesn't mean you still couldn't describe what was happening abit more to atleast make is alittle longer.To me its better if you have a better description of the plot.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Deimos][color=Teal][size=1]Don't copy my favorite font color -.- lol.Also you should include that in you plot if you already did then forget what I just said.I didn't read that I am just writing this from memory so I might be wrong.[/size'][/color][/quote] [color=Blue]Actually, I just put that on my (failing) RPG's first post. Oh, and I'm sorry I copied your fav font color. I just also like it. ^-^

[size=1][color=Red][font=Trebuchet MS][size=2]I think this sort of thing can be kept to PM's, don't you? ^^

- Bio[/size]
[/font][/color][/size] [/color]

[COLOR=Teal][SIZE=1]Hmm,well now you should post a new rpg since no one is going to want to look at it now because they probably seen it before and think it sucks maby.You should try making a new rpg so more people will read it and maby more people will reply.I am trying to make lots of rpgs so maby one will be a success! Actually the way I see it now is that your other topic is dead.If it has 54 views and 0 replies you might as well consider it dead.Since the people who seen it won't look at it again, so its either make a new topic or hope someone signs up for your current one which I doubt.

I gotta learn how to get people post to my rpg's also.To prove that I will post a rpg and few people will sign up for it I bet.I still gotta learn how to make my rpg's attract people! Once I do that I will be making a whole lot of rpgs![/SIZE][/COLOR]

Yeah, just keep trying, wait until that one inspiring thing hits you and you are able to get a really good RPG. Something that will draw the attention of people, will be if it has a really interesting title. I mean, my titles weren't that good, until I just though of my newest one. Just keep trying, because my old RPGs sucked, but now, I actually came up with a fairly good one. I think that it's good since all the spots have been filled. If you get something that really grabs yours and the readers attention. This will make them want to try it out.

That's the info that I have for you. Now, back to what I really thought that brought me here. I would really appreciate it if you guys didn't spam this thread. For instance, I don't want a conversation that is being put on here. If you need a conversation, thats why they have Private Messaging. I consider this unnecessary spamming, but it's really up to the Mods to say that.

[font=Trebuchet MS]A good Roleplay is hard to create. It can take a long time; some of the best take months of planning. If you write a Roleplay on Otakuboards itself, chances are you didn't put in as much effort as you could have. Here are some points in RPs that appeal to me:

[b]Innovation: [/b]Everyone likes new ideas. Take a step away from old clichés (unless it's [i]about [/i]clichés, like one that's in the Inn right now) If you have new, interesting ideas, chances are some people will join.

A generic warrior-saves-damsel storyline isn't really all that eye-catching. The same goes for all the other over-used genres that some people adapt into their writing (which isn't necessarily a [i]bad [/i]thing if adapted [i]well).

[/i][b]Media Appeal: [/b]Lately, many RP creators have decided to incorporate html and music among other things into their writing. Using such things can add more tone to writing than just plain text, and music can modify any tone the writing may create.

Just look at Kill Bill. During fight scenes, QT didn't usually use dramatic music. He used upbeat, fun tunes that made the violence more playful and amusing (in a sort of sadistic way), rather than applying the stereotype that fighting has to be serious.

[b]Grammar & Spelling: [/b]Let's face it: correct (or at least [i]near [/i]correct) English looks a lot nicer (and is easier on the eyes) than 1337 and Netspeak. Which is more dramatic to you:

[i]He raised his sword...

*raises sword*

[/i]And that was just a small example. The bottome line is this: A proffesional RP will get proffesional RPers.

[b]Standards: [/b]I wouldn't really want to join a Roleplay in which the creator will accept anyone who applies. Too many people could apply, and it would become confusing. And in Roleplays, confusion is bad. ^^;

If I think of any others, I'll update this post. Good luck, RP creators!

[font=Arial][size=1]Oh, and Misenki: Mods [i]will [/i]take care of it. [i]Ourselves. [/i]^^[/size][/font]
[/font]