OtakuBoards

Drugs

Guest Pixie_rich

Guest Pixie_rich
Hi lol. Whats everyones opinions on drugs? I dont like them I think they make people turn bad and I think I saw on the news this guy bought some injectable cannabis and caught aids. So whats your views on drugs?

[size=1]Drugs are bad, mmmkay?

But seriously, I don't recommend doing them. Most are extremely addictive, and it's hell trying to get off even cigarettes. You're addicted to something that makes you artificially happy, and after the initial high, you're let down.

You know those people on the street on the corner just milling around in the Ghetto? Those people are addicted to drugs, and are waiting for their next fix (I assume it's crack). Don't end up like them.

Just listen to your teachers or whoever teaches you about drugs, and don't do them.[/size]

I think it really depends on the person. Crack and such should go, but I think pot is like beer. First get old enough so that it's not stunting necessary brain functions, then get high with a small group of close friends while watching Super Troopers. Avoid heavy machinery and cars. To overdose, you would have to smoke something like 15 pounds in 15 mins... And even then, you'd be dieing from smoke inhalation not the THC itself. Shooting anything into your veins is just a generally bad idea... Sure you get higher, but not smoking the **** for a month will do the same thing.

Things like shrooms and acid are iffy. You can't really predict the way people react to hallucinogens, acid more so because of the fact that it is man made. Screw meth... It's way too much trouble to make. I want my hands. And my teeth. Meth labs go ka-blooey.

Yep. The only drug I think should be legal is pot.

Hallelujah, for I am not only involved in research, but in graduate studies about?
*pause*
NEUROCHEMISTRY-RY-ry-ry-ry (echo effect)
So, I know [i]what[/i] I?m talking about!
[quote name='Raquel']I think it really depends on the person. [/quote] Maybe, but that?s only in the circumstance of genetic predisposition, usually abused-substance reactions produce the same response in most people! Withdrawal effects are the same causally!

[QUOTE=Raquel]
Crack and such should go, but I think pot is like beer. First get old enough so that it's not stunting necessary brain functions, then get high with a small group of close friends while watching Super Troopers. Avoid heavy machinery and cars. To overdose, you would have to smoke something like 15 pounds in 15 mins... And even then, you'd be dieing from smoke inhalation not the THC itself. Shooting anything into your veins is just a generally bad idea... Sure you get higher, but not smoking the **** for a month will do the same thing. [/QUOTE]
Pot is not like ethanol. They work on different receptors, different metabolic pathways, etc. Anything that crosses the blood-brain barrier to effect your brain?s chemistry must always be scrutinized as having some long-term effect. Cannabinoids, such as the psychoactive component (delta)-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) willl not kill you. Marijuana should be used with caution (if you are planning on using it) because it manipulates your neurotransmitter levels, it can encourage upregulation of cAMP pathways, and also accounts for a possible long term degenerative effect in synaptic plasticity (this is short-term disruption of memory and learning associated to marijuana use). Basically, endocannaboids act as retrograde messangers. They act on presynaptic CB1 receptors on neighboring nerve terminals. This inhibits the synaptic plasticity that is initiated by postsynaptic depolarization and extracellular Calcium concentrations. This expressed presynaptic decrease in CB1 activation due to the presence of endocannabinoids can decrease the probability of neurotransmitter release associated with new neuronal branching. This could lead to degeneration such as long-term depression at GABA synapses in the hippocampus and amygdale and glutamate synapses in the striatum and nucleus accumbens.

In laymen?s terms, Marijana use is unwise for two reasons:
-Your brain NEVER stops making new pathways and hooking up new ?circuitry? and Marijuana ****s with that
-Marijana makes you more stupid and forgetful.
-The more you use it, the worse you get!
-There?s no such thing as an ?overdose? in marijuana because its effects are primarily neurological, whereas a heroin overdose has to do with its disruption of smooth muscle function.

And don?t take ethanol (the active compound in alcohol) lightly at ALL. Alcohol abuse is a VERY dangerous thing.

[QUOTE=Raquel]
Things like shrooms and acid are iffy. You can't really predict the way people react to hallucinogens, acid more so because of the fact that it is man made. Screw meth... It's way too much trouble to make. I want my hands. And my teeth. Meth labs go ka-blooey.
[/quote] Shrooms are not man made. Acid (LSD) is just an isolated tryptamine, our brain has receptors to react to it, just because it doesn?t occur in high organic concentrations such as cannaboids, it doesn?t mean that the compound isn?t a naturally occurring substance (it can be in tiny amounts). There are very, very dangerous risks to altering your consciousness. Any hallucinogens and dissociative drugs can have dangerous long-term effects on people.

We are becoming more and more aware of what these psychoactive drugs do to people and how truly detrimental they are. There?s no reason to endorse any drug based on the merit of it occurring ?naturally? or ?unnaturally? because [i]using[/i] these substances in either case is putting an unnatural neurological stress on our very, VERY delicate nervous system.

I used to be into a lot of things that I'm almost ashamed to admit.
But now I'm clean, and anyone who says that pot is a bad thing.... that stuff helped me get off much worse drugs.
I may be a "habitual marijuana smoker" but that's alot better than the person I was 3 or 4 years ago.
With that being said, anyone who does any other drug (Coke, meth, exctacy, etc...)
are losers. Even after I got clean all my friends started doing all that stuff, I haven't hung out with them since I found out. And I continue to be a better person for it.

[color=crimson]It's a personal decision. Me? I think most drugs are pretty overrated, to say the least. This is ignoring all of the jargon Drix just spat out like an auctioneer detailing some of the affects of one of the more popular drugs on the street. Alcohol.. hmm. No real opinion about it, I suppose. Alcoholism is, obviously, a real problem but just light recreational/ceremonial drinking I could see myself participating in.

Just, you gotta be careful whatever you decide to do with drugs/alcohol. People can be pretty misguided about their ability to control themselves- it's never as good as you think it is (especially when under the influence).[/color]

[QUOTE=KatanaViolet]I used to be into a lot of things that I'm almost ashamed to admit.
But now I'm clean, [/QUOTE]

Hey, I?m glad for anybody who isn?t afraid to admit a mistake. I respect people who admit they might have been wrong as much as I respect those who can rationally argue that they are right. Good for you getting control of yourself.

[QUOTE=KatanaViolet]
and anyone who says that pot is a bad thing.... [/QUOTE]

*Points to my response* I say it?s a bad thing. Please consider that.

[QUOTE=KatanaViolet]
that stuff helped me get off much worse drugs. [/QUOTE]

I don?t want to jump too hard on the logic of this statement. First, I would like you to explain in further detail about how marijuana helped you ?get off? worse drugs? Did it help with withdrawals? Did you just use it to replace a ?harder? drug by becoming a habitual user of pot instead? So, help me understand exactly what you mean.

[QUOTE=KatanaViolet]
I may be a "habitual marijuana smoker" but that's alot better than the person I was 3 or 4 years ago.
With that being said, anyone who does any other drug (Coke, meth, exctacy, etc...)
are losers. Even after I got clean all my friends started doing all that stuff, I haven't hung out with them since I found out. And I continue to be a better person for it.[/QUOTE]

I see people who take drugs for non-medically sound reasons as having lost control of themselves; no matter the substance. I?m guilty of smoking marijuana. I regret my decision, and I understand the danger that I put on my brain?s development by using it.

Alcohol is a bit different, in small amounts ethanol can actually have positive health effects! Likewise when approaching Marijuana therapeutically; It might be beneficial in medical treatment for HIV-positive and Chemotherapy patients. Of course, there may be more effective and less dangerous drugs available to reduce these symptoms.

So, when you?re using drugs unwisely, I see you as a loser- even if it is marijuana. But you don?t have to [i]stay[/i] a loser.

[quote name='DeathKnight][color=crimson'] This is ignoring all of the jargon Drix just spat out like an auctioneer detailing some of the affects of one of the more popular drugs on the street.[/color][/quote]
Oh be quiet :p, I'm not rehersing some school-counselor script. I'm just presenting relevant, recent, and objective data on the drug.

Hahha okay, holy cow, Drix. It's going to be difficult to have a rebuttal to!
Thanks for the kudos first of all, it's not easy admitting something like that, because it can illicit alot of false judgements. But I've changed and grown a great deal in the years that have past, and I see marijuana as being in the same ballgame as alcohol. And, not that its an excuse, but I AM from BC.
As for how it helped me quit? It's hard to explain, and I don't really see why I would need to go into great detail, but it did help. It wasn't that I became "addicted" to another drug, I had always smoked pot.
Nowadays, I don't sit around and smoke pot like some stoner or anything. I work, I go to university, I do homework, I watch anime, I practice Japanese... I'm not any different from any of you, except for that at the end of the day, I'll smoke a joint.
I don't toke during the day, and it doesn't interfere with my everyday life. I can function like any other regular person in society. I'm sure if you met me and never knew I smoked pot, you wouldn't know until I actually told you.
Like alcohol, its best used in moderation. Just because I smoke a joint every night doesn't mean that I'm a menace to society, let alone that I have lost control of myself. And most people that do smoke alot of pot don't even know what's going on half the time.

[QUOTE=Drix D'Zanth]
- Marijana makes you more stupid and forgetful.
-The more you use it, the worse you get![/QUOTE][SIZE=1]This is just what I need. To be more stupid and more forgetful. Sorry, but I really don't want school to be harder then it is and I have a hard enough time remembering things. I guess most people at school would call me a [b]square[/b] because I have not done any drugs because I've been afraid of the two reasons up there.

My friend only did pot for years, and it's made him very very slow. I'm very overprotective of my brain because a lot rests on my shoulders to be the first one in my family to graduate from college since I grew up in a family and neighborhood where most people drop out of highschool their junior or senior year. Heck, my own sister didn't even make it past highschool. Alcohol is a different story. Yes I drink. But only when I go to clubs or for a social reason. It can become a serious problem if you do it often. I don't like the taste and I only do it when I want to get a buzz on the dance floor or with my friends. So yes, I'm a very good girl. [/SIZE]

[size=1][font=georgia]I don't like drugs, because they make people so mentally and physically messed up it's sad, not to mention the people around them could get screwed up too. I can say also I don't like people either, for even taking them in the first place, but what can I say, there are so many possibilites to why whatever reason they had to do drugs.

If you can take them in moderation, good job. I still don't like them, but I suppose if you can take them in moderation, it's better then being very addictive. Then again, for some people if taking in moderation, after time it can lead to addiction...but I'm just beginning to list off possibilites..

The same applies for alcohol, too.[/size][/font]

I dont mind drugs. Well, I don't mind marijuana (a.k.a, weed, pot, mary j, the green, blow, canna, cannabis, etc. I prefer the term canna).
I don't like coke, crack, meth, acid, pcp, speed, shrooms, etc. The only hallucinogenic thing I really don't have a distate for is absinthe.
Tobacco is a drug, too, and of course I don't mind it -- I just put out a cigarette.
I really don't see what the big deal is with canna, because it has always had the same effects on me (and many friends that I've gotten stoned and shnockered -- a.k.a drunk -- with) as alcohol. Honestly, right now, I feel like I'm almost stoned, except that I'm constantly yawning and I'm not smiling like a dibsh*t. It's because I'm really, really, really, REALLY tired. Same effect. When I drink, I want to eat. When I smoke canna, I want to eat. And then, with both, I just want to go to sleep after I eat if there's nothing entertaining me. I have the same mental strain, except that it's stronger when I'm high than when I'm shnockered.
One difference, though. I'm more likely to say yes to anything that anyone wants (sexually) when I'm drunk. When I'm high, I have more will power to say "No, i'm fine. I think I'd rather stay out here instead of going in your room, I don't want to ditch everyone. And I'm high. What if I don't remember it? I don't like that idea.......*laughs and then falls over while laughing, for about 5 mintues straight while still saying no* OMG! I think I'm dead! Are you dead, too? Whoa...this is awesome. I'm DEAD! HAHAHAHAHA! OMG! THIS IS SO GREAT! *laughs for about 10 more minutes, and then has a menthol cigarette*" instead of "*laughs *** off* Wanna see my boobs? *giggles* Huh? You want to f--k me? Mmmkay...top or bottom? *giggles and then manically bites the person*" I'm dead serious about that, too. That's EXACTLY how I am. When I'm high, I'm the person that everyone ends up tripping off of, while still maintaining my ability to not do anything with people. When I'm drunk, though, I'm the person who is the major slut. I offer to show my boobs, if someone wants to take a picture of them, I say YES. I let things happen, I make out with the first person in sight, I let people do whatever they want to and/or with me. So honestly, I think that alcohol is worse than canna. My opinion is definitely based off of my experiences, and things that I've noticed with friends. I won't deny that I love to drink and to smoke canna, though. I don't really have a problem with either. And I don't have a problem with cigarettes at all.
I've never tried all of the things that I've frowned upon, because I believe that it's worse for you.
That's my opinion. I can't write more right now because I'm tired and I'm almost falling asleep at my computer. I don't even know if i"m spelling everything right. Who cares?

Well, g'night, I'll probably end up editing this and adding more of my opinion when I'm well-rested. :sleep: *yawns*

PS--
No, I don't get drunk and high very often. Hell, I have canna right now in my room, in my dresser drawer. I haven't smoked very much of it. I've had it for about 5 months. I haven't smoked any of it in about 4 months. Last time I had alcohol? I didn't even get drunk, I got tipsy. It was last night (last night meaning Friday night). I don't drink very much when I do decide to drink. I'm extremely lightweight on everything besides cigarettes. I can't smoke weed or drink alcohol every day. I've done that before for about three days in a row, with my friend Lashawn. I vowed that I'd never do that again. I hated it. Getting high is nice once in a while, but not everyday. Not even once a week. Once in a month, maybe. Same thing with drinking.

[quote name='ForgottenRaider]Survival of the fittest I say; enjoy [i]your[/i'] life. :D[/quote]
[size=1]I'm basically with you, except that for some drugs, the consequences don't only hurt your life. It can really take a toll on loved ones if they find out, it could lead to a car accident where someone dies, or any other slew of bad scenarios. Point is, drugs don't only affect the user.

But your point is a good one.[/size]

Guest Pixie_rich
I know what you mean I know someone who had 3 magic pencils and thought his dad was Ian Huntley. He ended up in jail on manslaughter charges.

[color=darkred]I smoke weed, but in moderation. I'm not a junky, and I don't rely on the drug at all, simply because I know when to stop, for I wouldn't want it to get to that stage... not that I'd let it.

I think I'm going to try coke, and probably ecstasy, but [i]only[/i] on an experimental basis. I know they're class-A drugs and considered as a potential threat, but eh, I'm on a quest for the ultimate buzz. So yeah. \m/^^\m/[/color]

[QUOTE=Bombu][color=darkred]I smoke weed, but in moderation. I'm not a junky, and I don't rely on the drug at all, simply because I know when to stop, for I wouldn't want it to get to that stage... not that I'd let it.

I think I'm going to try coke, and probably ecstasy, but [i]only[/i] on an experimental basis. I know they're class-A drugs and considered as a potential threat, but eh, I'm on a quest for the ultimate buzz. So yeah. \m/^^\m/[/color][/QUOTE]
[size=1]Yes, you know when to stop and all that, and I'm sure you've heard this all before, but...

Ecstasy can kill you on your first try, and cocaine is some [b]seriously[/b] addictive crap. Drugs, especially marijuana, hinder your brain's development (see Drix's post), which is even worse during your teenage years. Your brain is going through a critical stage in its growth, and by doing marijuana, you are permanently affecting your brain's development. You'll be able to feel your mind move slowly when you grow up, and you'll know why.

I don't mean to sound like a square, but straighten up.[/size]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Hmm...I feel so uncool now. Everyone else has already done drugs...

But seriously, I feel that, for the most part, it is the individual's choice. I don't think anyone should be called a "bad person" for doing drugs of any kind. I think it should up to the individual if they want to do drugs.

That being said, I'm definitely going to try pot. Not necessarily crack or anything like that, but I want to know what it feels like. In short, I'm here to experience life and I think that's gonna be one of the most interesting experiences out there.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]I don't really have a problem with Marijuana... hey, if people wanna mess with their brains, they're more than welcome to. We've already got Jerry Springer and reality TV, our brains are pretty out of it anyways, why not get high. Hell, I want it to be legalised. The biggest problem with MJ isn't the drug itself, it's the drug culture that people get drawn in to... eliminate that and you'll just have a bunch of hippies, not a bunch of losers (Argueable...).

But cocain et al, those are just stupid. I mean, Cocaine gets you high, it does somthing, it makes you feel good... all cocaine does is make you want more... it doesn't make sense to do it. There's a reason that the phrase "Let's play a game. The loser has to get addicted to crack!" exists.

Oh, and one of my friends got high and than went on X-fire to talk to me, the first thing he said is 'All of a sudden I can't get enough cheese cake... and I hate cheese cake! It's disgusting but I'm shovling my face full of it!'[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=Lord Rannos][COLOR=DarkRed]Hmm...I feel so uncool now. Everyone else has already done drugs...
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Indigo]I have never done drugs.
I refuse to, I find the idea absolutely appalling.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Lord Rannos][COLOR=DarkRed']That being said, I'm definitely going to try pot. Not necessarily crack or anything like that, but I want to know what it feels like. In short, I'm here to experience life and I think that's gonna be one of the most interesting experiences out there.[/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Pot might not be life threatening, but as it's been stated many times, it stunts your brain's growth. If you think that this is a worthwhile experience that will make your life complete... I guess you should go for it?

It actually makes me angry that people think that doing drugs is a good life experience. In my opinion, it's not even a real experience. Why not doing something real, like bungee jumping? Atleast you're experiencing the feeling because it's real, it's adrenaline. Not because your brain is confused by chemicals.

(Sorry if it seems like I'm picking on you, but I didn't read all the arguments beforehand, and what you said just sort of sparked me to make a reply.)[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]I'd first like to say that I am a recreational pot smoker that does not indulge more than three times a week, usually. Some people exersice to release stress, and some people pray. I take a hit or two and do my Chemestry homework. I don't consider marijuana a drug.

Next, I'd like everyone to check out this article.
[url=http://www.benefitsofmarijuana.com/benefits.html]The Benefits of Marijuana[/url]
Now please don't think I'm endorsing smoking pot. For those of you that are %100 clean, my hat is off to you. You've done something that I haven't. And you should stay that way.

But, and it is a big one, I consider the health [i]benefits[/i] to outweigh the detrements marijuana has on the body.
Extreme use of the drug marijuana does make you slow and it does create a psychological dependence that can be every bit as real as a physical one.

They say that marijuana is a gateway drug. That once you smoke it you want more and different drugs. I've found this to be false in many instances. I've always preferred the high that you get from marijuana to anything else I've tried, and so have several people I know. Coke gets you way too energetic and reckless. Mushrooms mess with your mind something fierce. Alcohol makes you lose control unless taken in moderation.

And I'd like to invite someone to argue with me. I always love arguing about this subject. ^_^

[quote name='renayiiq']I dont mind drugs. Well, I don't mind marijuana (a.k.a, weed, pot, mary j, the green, blow, canna, cannabis, etc. I prefer the term canna).[/quote]
[b]PS:[/b] Blow would be a slang for cocaine.[/size]

Time to step in as the "official scientist" around here.
[QUOTE=Corey][size=1]I'd first like to say that I am a recreational pot smoker that does not indulge more than three times a week, usually. Some people exersice to release stress, and some people pray. I take a hit or two and do my Chemestry homework. I don't consider marijuana a drug.

Next, I'd like everyone to check out this article.
[url=http://www.benefitsofmarijuana.com/benefits.html]The Benefits of Marijuana[/url]
Now please don't think I'm endorsing smoking pot. For those of you that are %100 clean, my hat is off to you. You've done something that I haven't. And you should stay that way. [/size][/QUOTE]

I can see that you have been thoroughly influenced by Ms. Bello?s earnest essay. First, a disclaimer: Cannaboids have therapeutic value. All use of marijuana should be handled responsibly, just as opiates are handled when in a medical context. I?m not ignorant to the nature of this therapy; however, synthetic homologues to marijuana are available for medicinal purposes that reduce the dangerous physiological effects of the drug. [i]Casual use of this drug, regardless of what Ms. Bello has to say (I?ll get to what she has to say soon), is not a wise decision and always carries a strong risk at having derogatory health effects[/i]. Any use of this drug should be strictly regulated by certified medical professionals. Marijuana [i]is[/i] a drug (just as caffeine is a drug), whatever negative connotations that word ascribes to it notwithstanding- it alters your body?s chemistry and metabolism.

[QUOTE=Corey][size=1]
But, and it is a big one, I consider the health [i]benefits[/i] to outweigh the detrements marijuana has on the body.
Extreme use of the drug marijuana does make you slow and it does create a psychological dependence that can be every bit as real as a physical one. [/size][/QUOTE]

Okay, because you referenced her article, I?m going to assume the points of argument Ms. Bello provides coincide with your opinions. She seems like a very well-intentioned person. Unfortunately, this woman has little valid, current, peer-reviewed scientific evidence to back her claims (what do you expect from someone who holds a Master of Science degree in Eastern Studies and Holistic Health):
[By the way, I?ll cite my references by putting the number that correlates to the reference in parenthesis; you can check them out at the bottom of this post]
The third paragraph of her essay formulates her first argument and justifies the two previous citations: [quote] Although specific effects of marijuana in the body are well known, each has been taken in isolation without noting that both sides of the Autonomic Nervous System are conjoined. Instead of a perspective that sees the whole person and the simple holistic effect of marijuana, a myopic and reductionistic method of measurement has been employed, and marijuana?s profound meaning for health has been lost. (p. 31)[/quote]
This statement above is profoundly false (science has a difficult time ?proving? things, but an easy time dis-proving them). There is no evidence that marijuana has any ?conjoining? effects on either cerebral hemisphere around the corpus callosum, cerebrum, or through any sort of limbic interface.(1)

Her clear misunderstanding of any neurology is evident in her explanation: [quote] Marijuana, by its effect on the ANS, enhances both sides of the brain. Through increased Sympathetic action, left brain perception is heightened, while, at the same time, right brain reception is enhanced. This is a physiological fact. More blood, and cleaner blood, is sent to the brain, as in the ?fight or flight? reaction. And because of Parasympathetic dilation of capillaries, which signifies relaxation, the blood supply to the entire brain is increased. More blood means more oxygen and consequently clearer and broader thinking. Since marijuana works on both sides of the brain, the most noticeable effect, in our fast-paced mind set, is one of slowing down, which blends the thrusting competitive attitude with the contrasting viewpoint of nurturance to arrive at a more cooperative balance. This experience is, however, not innate to marijuana, but to the mental set of the subject. When we are mellow, tired, and relaxed, marijuana is energizing and affords alertness, determination, and even strength. [/quote]
Her ?physiological fact? is a very profound fallacy. Instead of providing any sort of evidence to her ?fact? she just babbles on and on about how larger volumes of ?cleaner blood? is sent to your brain. We?ll assess the respiratory implications of regular marijuana use later. First, I?ll address her claim that marijuana is benificial to "clearer and broader thinking". There is *no* objective rationale that the "mind set" established through the use of the drug has any correlative, positive effects on mental capability; neither is there evidence to the drug ?balancing? our brain. It also has been widely accepted that marijuana is not an ?energizer?; especially in the case of neurological function where it is always recognized as an analgesic and a depressant.

The most amusing thing she has to say, however, is the argument that: Marijuana dilates your blood vessels, and gives your brain more oxygen to function.
-Current evidence now concludes that marijuana (especially by inhalation) dilates alveoli as a parasynthetic response due to high concentrations of sodium bicarbonate, the compound that our body uses to regulate levels of carbon dioxide. This is because your brain is [i]not[/i] receiving the oxygen that it would during normal respiratory function and is acting in response. (4)
-The effects of cannaboids are in no way like the ?fight or flight? response. Cannabis does not have any effect, positive or negative, on oxygenation (cleanliness) of the blood. (2)
-Regular marijuana use (and this research is new to me) has now been evidenced to increase brain parenchymal perfusion which leads, over time, to a slow and effective damaging of the surrounding nervous tissue. (this is due to high systolic velocity combined with the local effect of endocannaboids acting as homologues to Acetylcholine) Unlike what Ms. Bello would like to believe, it [b]hurts[/b] your brain(6) (5)
-On a side note, left and right ?brain-ness? have long since been dis-proven by neurologists. Both sides of the brain almost always work in conjunction with the other. There?s no evidence that one side of the brain is ?solely? responsible for a specific behavior, consciousness, or homeostatic function.
Again, Ms. Bello [b]dead[/b] wrong.
[quote] This is the unification of logic and intuition. The term ?expansion of consciousness? is explained physiologically as a ?shifting of brain emphasis from one-sidedness to balance? (Sugarmena and Tarter, 1978), which fits precisely with the feeling called ?high.? (p. 35)[/quote]
Sugarmena and Tarter have long been discarded as junk science. Their methodology and results are not only flawed, but? I can?t actually believe she referenced such ridiculous source material?.
[quote] Marijuana ingestion has been shown to change the worried state by producing alpha waves, experienced as well being. (p. 36)[/quote]
O rly? [url]http://www.monroeinstitute.org/research/alpha-binaural-beat.html[/url](clicky) ?Alpha waves also occur under unpleasant conditions and when one is not relaxed.* They are not a measure of peace and serenity, nor are they indicative of an altered state of consciousness. Alpha waves are indicative of lack of visual processing and lack of focus: the less visual processing and the more unfocused, generally the stronger the alpha waves?

[quote] As the body?s workings can become more harmonious with marijuana, the functioning of the five senses can be noticeably improved ....In our discussion, the trigger to the high experience is marijuana, but many other activities can also produce it, such as jogging, chanting, fasting, isolation, meditation, and prayer. (p. 41)[/quote]
Okay, now this lady is really starting to sound crazy. She just equated the endorphin rush of fasting and jogging to the CA2 Pathway induced by marijuana. Marijuana just screws with your limbic system by replacing an already-regulated neurotransmitter. The endocannaboids cause those nerves to fire and your body becomes ?conscious? of the clothes that it?s wearing. It doesn?t ?enhance? jack. (2)

[quote] 2. The breath can be restored to fullness, thereby eliminating directly the built up toxicity and, at the same time, enjoining balance throughout the whole organism. A depressed system is a weakened system, and since it works holistically, marijuana gives strength where weakness exists, and expansion and relaxation where there is contraction and nervousness.
3. The more richly oxygenated blood that is in effect with marijuana can help to cleanse the poisons at the cellular level.[/quote]
I think I?m going to make this my last point, because I?d really be beating the dead horse when I say this whole statement is ********. Fortunately, it draws my arguments into a new direction- the respiratory consequence of marijuana. You guys ready for this one?

Smoking Marijuana is bad for your lungs (*gasp*) (4)
Smoking Marijuana regularly can impair smooth and cardiac muscle function, recent data suggests that it is a risk factor in MIs (myocardial infarcts.) and P.A. Fib. in young people with no other risk factors. (1) (3)

Stick that in your joint and smoke it, Ms. Bello.

[QUOTE=Corey][size=1]
They say that marijuana is a gateway drug. That once you smoke it you want more and different drugs. I've found this to be false in many instances. I've always preferred the high that you get from marijuana to anything else I've tried, and so have several people I know. Coke gets you way too energetic and reckless. Mushrooms mess with your mind something fierce. Alcohol makes you lose control unless taken in moderation.

And I'd like to invite someone to argue with me. I always love arguing about this subject. ^_^[/size][/QUOTE]

I?m not sure whether or not marijuana is a ?gateway? drug. I guess this is the assumption that if you are willing to try a possibly dangerous substance with little more than the assurances of your peers that it?s ?okay? you?ll be more inclined to try something more dangerous with more encouragement.

I hope this post clears up your misunderstanding about a drug that really should not be for casual, recreational use.

[size=1] References:
1[u]Charbonney E, Sztajzel JM, Poletti PA, Rutschmann O.[/u][i] Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation after recreational marijuana smoking: another "holiday heart"?[/i] (2005) Swiss Med Wkly 135: 412-4

2 [u]S. A. Moore, G. G. Nomikos, A. K. Dickason-Chesterfield, D. A. Schober, J. M. Schaus, B.-P. Ying, Y.-C. Xu, L. Phebus, R. M. A. Simmons, D. Li, S. Iyengar, and C. C. Felder* [/u][i]Identification of a high-affinity binding site involved in the transport of endocannabinoids[/i] (2005) Natl Acad Sci 102:17852-17857

3[u]European Journal of Emergency Medicine. 12(5):236-244, October 2005.
Caldicott, David G.E. a; Holmes, James a; Roberts-Thomson, Kurt C. b; Mahar, Leo b [/u][i]Keep off the grass: marijuana use and acute cardiovascular events.[/i] (2005) Monaldi Arch Chest Dis. 63: 93-100

4[u]Tashkin DP.[/u] [i]Smoked marijuana as a cause of lung injury.[/i]
Division of Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1690, USA. [email][email protected][/email]

5 [u] Battista N.1; Fezza F.1; Maccarrone M.1[/u] [i]Endocannabinoids and their Involvement in the Neurovascular System[/i] (2004)Curr. Neuro. Resch. 1,2: 129-140

6 [u]Herning RI, Better WE, Tate K, Cadet JL.[/u] [i]Cerebrovascular perfusion in marijuana users during a month of monitored abstinence.[/i]
Molecular Neuropsychiatry Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, PO Box 5180, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA. [email][email protected][/email][/size]

Well I dont like drugs at all in any way for shape or what have you. First of all when I was young my mother had several boyfriends and I could always sense the drugs. I always reminded her that I had a bad feeling about each guy and all she would say in reply i "You just dont want me to be happy" and at one point I gave up. However I was right in all five cases so meh to my mother.

Anyways my father drank heavily. I never saw him when he WASNT holding a can of beer. Sure that might not be as great and horrid as some of the drugs you all have mentioned, however, it did ruin and and my fathers relationship in my childhood. I grew up not knowing who he was and not know why he was angry. Finally one day I came home from school and he was crying, Something he NEVER does, and I asked him whats wrong (I am to damn nice as I have been reminded but oh well) Anyways dad refused to say anything. He just stared off into space with his eyes watering and his face red.

I returned to my room and waited. My sister got home from work and talked to dad for a long time. The very next day he was in Serenity Lane and going through treatment. While we visited him on saterdays I got to meet many other drug uses and alcoholics as they were recovering from their addictions. The stories I heard were not good ones with flowers, pixies, and pretty ponies.

I also went into several classes with my dad and learned alot of stuff I at the time would have rather not heard. In the long run I grew to hate drugs of any kind. Which brings me to the painful part for me. My only two friends both do Pot.

"You cant get addicted to Pot" One of them says
"I dont do it often" The other says.

One day they were at my house and because i hadnt had anything to eat or drink for three days I wasnt myself so I just let them smoke in my house. I didnt quite mind to much on getting caught because my father cannot smell, he lost that sense long ago, and so meh. Anyways long story short they worry me. One says shes never liked smoking and it makes her feel funny yet she and her boyfriend keep on at it. She even once said she would "set it down and walk away slowly" Yeah....Right. As for the other on... Well He... Ah I dont know.

All my pointless dribble aside I will never do drugs, nor will tell someone its ok. I care to damn much about people to say "Yeah go ahead...go rot your minds and bodies with impure substances!" Yeah yeah I let them smoke in my house but I regret it. But I also know asking them not to smoke would have been pointless so meh. Main point is: I dont much Like drugs and would rather have nothing to do with them.

[quote name='Retribution][size=1']I don't mean to sound like a square, but straighten up.[/size][/quote]

[color=darkred]No. Square. This statement pisses me off. Some of the replies here have knocked drugs, but have respected the fact that whoever wants to do it, can do it, because it's their life, and that you should be able to do what you want to do... contrary to your beliefs.

[quote][size=1](see Drix's post)[/size][/quote]

Sorry, but I smoke way too much weed to be able to read such copious amounts of detailed scientific information. It must have something to do with the stage I'm at in my brain's development.

Point is, stop being a square. If people want to do drugs, let them. I know how it is to be constantly probed. My psychology teacher use to suspect that I smoke weed, and even though I did it in my own time and my own space (ie: not in college), she tried to get me done for it in many ways. She tried to search my cigarette boxes for any "spliffs", she tried to get me drug tested, which would have severe consequences if you tested positive, being exclusion and getting a police record. I could understand getting screwed for smoking or being in possession of weed in college, but the way my teacher went on was just ridiculous. So, in other words, I think that people like you should just back off.[/color]

[font=Trebuchet MS][quote=Dictionary.com][b]drug, n.[/b]
[/font]A chemical substance, such as a narcotic or hallucinogen, that affects the central nervous system, causing changes in behavior and often addiction.[font=Trebuchet MS][/quote] Pot is a chemical substance that affects the central nervous system, therefore is a drug. Consider it not to be a dangerous or addictive drug if you like, but it's a drug the same as caffeine or chocolate are drugs.

And don't do cocaine. Or heroin. I've seen the effects. And you can dispute the physical effects if you like - I don't study biology any more - but in my experience hard drug addicts are boring, boring people. [i]"Did I tell you about the time I had that awesome high -" [/i]Yes, yes you did, and it just isn't interesting.
[/font]

Guest Pixie_rich
Ive never ever heard the term canna for cannabis before either. I think whats happened is you wanted to look cool and made up your own little word and then tried to force feed it to everyone. It didnt work.