OtakuBoards

Jurassic Park - Fact or fiction

Guest Prick Wizard

Guest Prick Wizard
Does anybody else consider that Jurrasic Park may be a real place constructed in some remote region of the earth. I like to think so, and there IS *some* evidence that such a place exists believe you me.

This is because I like dinosaurs and so do a lot of people and I think it would be nice if there was an island full of dinosaurs that you could go and visit like you can a zoo. It was also proven to be a very easy process inwhich they extracted the DNA out of old frogs and mixed it with a mosquito. For this reason I think there will deffinitely be *a* (take note NOT two everyone) a jurassic park somewhere on the earth.

I also think that the worlds first "human zoo" would be a great idea, and the process of cloning may help progress us to a time when that is the norm.

This also gives a hope of recreating elves in a stable enviroment to revive their species and keep them at mystical lands where only select people such as me were allowed to visit. Cloning could be very beneficial to rare races such as that of the elves.

Guest Zack
I think you need help. If you went to a "Jurrasic Park", you'd be eatin. Stop wasting your time on the internet and go visit an Asylum.
FYI, Elves don't exist. You are a crazy person...get help.

I highly doubt it with the way cloning really is. First, you will have to have a somatic cell of the creature. By removing the nucleus of that cell, and placing it into an egg cell with it's nucleus removed, resulting in them dividing (hopefully) and becoming identical to the original.

But, with this method, you would have to have an actual live Tyrannosaurs Rex. And, sense they are extinct, that cannot happen. So any "Jurassic Park" at this time cannot be possible. That also means things such as elves and the like can?t be cloned, because they don?t even exist.

And by "human zoo", do you mean a zoo for cloned humans? Because I'm sure that wouldn't break any human rights at all. :rolleyes:

Actually, news from a few months ago... someone accidentally broke a T-rex bone, and it revealed some remaining tissue and DNA that could be used for cloning.

As far as human zoo and elves go... I seriously think you are being funny in those paragraphs... What do you mean by human zoo? Like a place where humans are caged up so other humans can watch them?

I love you. You give me the best quotes for my signature.

[quote name='Prick Wizard']Does anybody else consider that Jurrasic Park may be a real place constructed in some remote region of the earth. I like to think so, and there IS *some* evidence that such a place exists believe you me.[/quote] I'll note right up front that you never produced any of this alleged evidence. What you did produce was only opinions that support the idea that it might be possible to do [i]in the future.[/i] You've said nothing to support that a park like that exists right now, and trust me, I can tell you with some certainty that it doesn't. Something of that magnitude would take an untold fortune to operate, inflicting two problems: one, that kind of money can't be moved silently. Someone would find out about it and it would very, very quickly be all over the news. And two, nobody with that money would ever support the park without it making money in return. In fact, that's the entire [i]point[/i] of a dinosaur zoo: to be open to the public and receive money. lol

[QUOTE]It was also proven to be a very easy process inwhich they extracted the DNA out of old frogs and mixed it with a mosquito. For this reason I think there will deffinitely be *a* (take note NOT two everyone) a jurassic park somewhere on the earth.[/QUOTE] My Biology class recently watched a video on the theory of making a real Jurassic Park, coincidentally, but even if they hadn't, I'm sorry, but it's clear that you're quite mistaken about the process, even considering the fact that you obviously gained all your information straight from the movie, heh. Even in the movie, the theory was that you could take DNA out of the blood of ancient mosquitos who had fed off of dinosaurs (thus, they would likely have some dinosaur DNA in them themselves), and replace the inevitable missing chunks of DNA with that of frogs. The problem with this theory is that the DNA you'd find inside the mosquitos would be very scant, and it would take forever to collect enough to create a dinosaur from. You really wouldn't be able to use much DNA from frogs, or you wouldn't get anything near a dinosaur in the final product.

You also described the process as "very easy", which is nowhere near true. Even beyond finding all the DNA, there's the problem of actually developing it into a dinosaur. I won't go into the specifics since they're a bit much and I honestly don't remember enough of it, but the cloning process certainly isn't refined yet. To make even one dinosaur would take countless efforts and a hell of a lot of luck.

And even once you've got enough for a decent population, keeping them would be a gargantuan task. Besides feeding them, which would probably cost more than twenty zoos combined, you have to keep them healthy. How are you going to rid them from disease? Considering that they may not have immunity to many diseases today, you'd have to learn how to treat those diseases in creatures that are utterly foreign to any veterenarian knowledge, you'd have to do it frequently, and at first, you'd have to find a lot of cures really damn fast.

Another example: elephants develop excess calluses on their feet every day. In the wild, they would wear them down by walking them off, but in zoos the keepers have to pick up their feet and chisel them off manually. Brontosauruses could likely have the same problem. You think one of them are going to let you pick up their foot and take a chisel to it? Do you think it could even be [i]done[/i]? lol

And that's just going into a few select problems. I'm not saying something like this is impossible. Sometime in the semi-distant future it could be done, though still at great expense. But it's not happening right now.

[QUOTE]This also gives a hope of recreating elves in a stable enviroment to revive their species and keep them at mystical lands where only select people such as me were allowed to visit. Cloning could be very beneficial to rare races such as that of the elves.[/QUOTE] Please don't bring elves into this thread. That's an earnest request. ;-;

[quote name='Ayokano']I highly doubt it with the way cloning really is. First, you will have to have a somatic cell of the creature. By removing the nucleus of that cell, and placing it into an egg cell with it's nucleus removed, resulting in them dividing (hopefully) and becoming identical to the original.[/quote] Actually, you could just as easily put the fertilized dinosaur egg cell into an animal like an ostrich, who lays similarly sized eggs. Or hell, they've even developed (or are developing) methods where something could be raised in an incubator-like machine, devoid of an egg completely.

Guest D. Resurrected
[QUOTE=Shippo]Sorry to burst your bubbles but dinosaurs do actually exist.

Proof:

[img]http://www.gochange.net/Pictures/thumbs/P25417_1.gif[/img][/QUOTE]

omg lol I used to watch that show that awsome. :D

[font=franklin gothic medium]Cloning dinosaurs as described in Jurassic Park is pretty much impossible. The DNA found within the mosquitos would be basically fossilized by the time it was extracted, thus making it useless.

You may also remember that in the film itself, they commented that the DNA strands were not complete - they had to fuse the incomplete DNA strands with frog DNA, in order to produce a viable embryo.

So, even under [i]that[/i] theory, you aren't getting a "pure" species...you're basically getting a genetically-engineered psuedo-dinosaur.[/font]

Uhm... okay.
Where do I start here?

Oh yes, are we forgetting? Jurassic Park is a FICTIONAL movie. [I]Fictional[/I] people!

The dinosaurs are extinct for a reason, have been for millions of years, and even if we could clone them, [I]we allready know what would happen[/I]! We've all seen what happens when human civilization screws around with Dino DNA. Lots of people get eaten, and it ends up becoming a huge trilogy about the same thing happening EVERY time: Dinosaurs go crazy, humans try to get them under control, people get eaten, velociraptors scare the poop out of me, and one man figures everything out about how to outsmart those scaley suckers.

Thankfully, I won't be the one who gets eaten while I'm taking a poo...I live in a high rise. Boo ya!

Guest shoki de nai
I think that they could get DNA for dinosaurs but I doubt that they would ever make a human zoo. I kind of like that elf idea though. :catgirl:

First of all, I love you, John.

And second of all, it's important to remember that the dinosaurs in JP were genetically wrong. Everything about them was unnatural, and they eventually died from disease [in Lost World]. The novel featured extensive talk about how evolution was spinning in its proverbial grave. Not that it's dead. But spinning nonetheless.

Key word: research.
Subtext: waste of forum.

Guest shoki de nai
I agree with Taltos, even if people could make dinosaurs, they would die from the new bacteria and diseases that weren't there when they were around. Also, their natural food source is gone and plants that other animals that are on earth now are not effected by might poison them. People would give these plants to the dinosaurs, thinking that they are fine, and they will end up killing the dinosaurs.

Guest Prick Wizard
[QUOTE=Zack]I think you need help. If you went to a "Jurrasic Park", you'd be eatin. Stop wasting your time on the internet and go visit an Asylum.
FYI, Elves don't exist. You are a crazy person...get help.[/QUOTE]

I think that you'll find that elves DO exist and I'd like you to prove otherwise. It's all objective to my experience. :)

[QUOTE=Ayokano] elves and the like can?t be cloned, because they don?t even exist.
[/QUOTE]

Yes they do.

[quote name='visualkei']What do you mean by human zoo? Like a place where humans are caged up so other humans can watch them?[/quote]

Yes but clones so that they are not even really real humans.

[QUOTE=John]
I'll note right up front that you never produced any of this alleged evidence. What you did produce was only opinions that support the idea that it might be possible to do [i]in the future.[/i] You've said nothing to support that a park like that exists right now, and trust me, I can tell you with some certainty that it doesn't. Something of that magnitude would take an untold fortune to operate, inflicting two problems: one, that kind of money can't be moved silently. Someone would find out about it and it would very, very quickly be all over the news. And two, nobody with that money would ever support the park without it making money in return. In fact, that's the entire [i]point[/i] of a dinosaur zoo: to be open to the public and receive money. lol [/QUOTE]

Dinosaurs are nice and I think that to have a zoo would be nice for everyone. I don't see why there can't be one. Perhaps somewhere in this universe.

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Well, for elves to be cloned elves would have to exist (which they don't). And in response to the response you'll be posting after I post this; no they don't.

There is no Jurrasic Park island. If there were, we would know about it because if the government kept it secret, what good would it be? If it's supposed to be a park for people to go to, then they should know about it, yes?

The chances of a park like this existing in the future are so slim, it's funny. [i]Hah[/i]. I guess it isn't impossible, but let's be serious... even if it [i]were[/i] possible, why would anyone do it? It would be way to dangerous.

As for the human zoo... no. Just... no. Nobody would let that happen because so many people would be against it saying that clones are people too.

And FYI, cloning already is being used to help rare [i]species[/i] survive and many other things (such as farming needs).[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Prick Wizard']Yes but clones so that they are not even really real humans.[/quote] Biologically, they're every bit human. If they weren't they wouldn't even be valid clones, lol. And obviously, the physical attributes of the brain determine its functioning, so they're the same mentally too. I don't see how you get off saying that they're not humans, since the only difference in a clone from a normal human is the method of birth, and for that matter, does that make babies that were born through artificial insemination "not even really real humans"? Hell, clones could even look quite different than the person they were cloned from. If you met one, even if they were standing next to their original, chances are you'd never suspect a thing. Since I know you're either not going to read that or you'll simply ignore it, just tell me why you think clones [i]aren't[/i] humans. lol

[quote name='Prick Wizard']Dinosaurs are nice and I think that to have a zoo would be nice for everyone. I don't see why there can't be one.[/quote] Then go back and actually read my post, lol. I listed far more reasons than necessary why it won't happen for a long, long, long time.

[QUOTE=John]
[quote name=' Prick Wizard']Dinosaurs are nice and I think that to have a zoo would be nice for everyone. I don't see why there can't be one.[/quote]
Then go back and actually read my post, lol. I listed far more reasons than necessary why it won't happen for a long, long, long time.[/QUOTE]

Hug me please,John.

[QUOTE= Prick Wizard]
Dinosaurs are nice and I think that to have a zoo would be nice for everyone. I don't see why there can't be one. Perhaps somewhere in this universe. [/QUOTE]

Prick Wizard mi laddo; you really need to lighten up and think straight. I think that James summed it up quite precisly earlier in saying that the DNA strands would be incorrect. It would be near impossible to extarct enough DNA from a fossilised specimen to ressurect a dead species and even moreso considering how long ago they died out.

There is the tiniest possiblity that by splicing an Ostrich (Or something similar) with something like a Monitor Lizard than you may ,on a rare occassion, get an aftermath of what would be like a deformed Raptor. And even that scenario is near impossible with our sciene.

And onto the subject of Human Zoos; The British Empire actually set some up in the mid 19th century where they would take subjects from far off lands and study them while letting the public view them.