OtakuBoards

Japanese Horrors

XWykesX

So it seems that the only thing that can make me unnerved nowadays are Japanese horrors. I bought Dark Water a while back now and watched it in the dead of night, big mistake! It made me jumpy for days after, such a chilling film. Basing the rest of the genre on that one film, made me go out and purchase The Grudge and Audition, two very good films, Audition less unnerving than the two, but alot more brutal and clever. Im thinking of purchasing The Eye and Ringu in the near future, has anybody seen these? And does anyone have any reccomendations, what are your thoughts? xx

I remember The Eye was a Hong Kong movie that partly took place in Thailand. It was quite a good movie. Good plot, storyline, and all. Even made more sense than most of the popular Japanese horror movies. More thrilling than creepy, but definately scared me. I remember the director got the idea for this movie when he read in an article a blind woman committed suicide after getting surgery and gaining eyesight.

Ringu. I watched this a long time ago, and I remember I built up so much suspense for it. I don't think it was even the movie that scared me so much as my own mentality going to watch it. Ofcourse I was freaked out for 2 weeks! The American version barely phased me, though. Probably because I spent all my anticipation for the Japanese version. Now the Grudge, American or not, it was scary.

Guest ryuuzaki
[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]I enjoy the eerier aspect of horror movies - ghosts, the paranormal, unexplained. When The Ring was introduced to American audiences, I grew to love Asian horror for its surrealty. I was sleeping on the floor of my little sister's room after that one. :animeshy: Here are my favorites, you might enjoy them:

01. Kairo (Pulse)
02. A Tale of Two Sisters
03. The Eye
04. Ringu
05. The Grudge
06. Tomei
07. Unborn but Forgotten
08. Phone
09. Momento Mori

Do you have the Sundance channel? Every Sunday night at midnight they showcase a different Asian horror film. [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=DimGray]Tale of Two Sisters freaked me out, it also took me several watches just to figure out what the hooha was going on. Phone is pretty good, the scene with the [spoiler]body in the wall was incredibly creepy.[/spoiler]

A cool Korean horror flick is one called The Dollmaster, which I recommend you check out. Its on a lower budget than most but its still cool and has some genuinely frightening moments.

Ghost is another good one, though I can't remember whether its Japanese or Korean or what. I've seen so many they all just blend together in my head lol.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]I've seen...

[U]Tale of Two Sisters [/U]
I saw it in spanish (Los Poseidos) and it...the dubbing
wasn't sooo great, besides that, this movie left
me sleeping with my (old) night light on.

[U]The Eye[/U]
Again, saw it in spanish (El Ojo) dubbing
sucked. I don't know, the ending kinda disappointed me.
I was hoping for an okay ending...as happy endings don't
occur in horror films.

[U]The Eye 2[/U]
I found this one a bit scarier,although I hated the
whole plot, and was confused...even though I paid close
attention. Damn that sucky spanish dubbing.

I've actually never had a chance to see Ringu.
A few friends of mine have, and said it sucked (with all due respect).
But, I dunno, they like weird things.[/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Impact]hhmm japanese horror flicks, eh? Hmm well i saw one called ONE MISS CALL that one was pretty good. make sure you dont miss any phone calls aight. You know there something about the japanese thats kinda weird about them. You know there taboos and stuff is what probably make their horror flicks worse.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Oh bloody yea, Audition is the best Japanese Horror film eva. That film is also my first Japanese film I've watched. It's best to avoid The Ring and The Grudge. They are just a bunch of scare-tactics kind of movies. First, I scream. Then, I see with boredom. The cycle repeats itself without notice until the end of the movie.
Anybody knows Ichi the Killer? What's the movie about?

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Chiyasha]Oh bloody yea, Audition is the best Japanese Horror film eva. That film is also my first Japanese film I've watched. It's best to avoid The Ring and The Grudge. They are just a bunch of scare-tactics kind of movies. First, I scream. Then, I see with boredom. The cycle repeats itself without notice until the end of the movie.
Anybody knows Ichi the Killer? What's the movie about?[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen Ichi the Killer the movie, but I've read some of the manga.

It's about a delusional psycho weiner of a guy, Ichi, who freaks out and kills people when he feels that those people are bullies. He cries every time he kills someone, and he slashes them all up. He also gets off on seeing violence and S&M.

Then there's this yakuza guy who can't get enough of torturing people, cutting himself up, and searches for Ichi.

It's violent, violent, violent. I read the a lot of the manga, but I don't know if I have the stomache to watch it in live-action. It's really twisted, and seems like the writer is just coming up with stories so that he could draw people killing and torturing each other. I actually read a lot of the manga because I've never read anything like that and was curious. It was interesting at first, then sickening as the manga progressed.