OtakuBoards

Coolest Song in the World This Week

Albert Flasher

[COLOR=Sienna]Been a bit to long since the last "Greatest Song Ever" thread, so here's another one. I know that people have a habit of switching favourite songs on a weekly basis, so here's a place where you can post about the song you love the most this particular week (Or however long it takes until you change favourites...). Ok, I'll get things rolling:

[B]Friends of Mr.Cairo by Jon & Vangelis[/B]: That girly-sounding guy from Yes! teamed up with Greek synth meastro Vangelis in the early 80's and produced 3 albums and a string of solid songs (He Is Sailing and One More Time most notably), but, in their short career, they would release one of my absolute favourite songs, Friends of Mr. Cairo. The song is an 11-minute+ tribute to early cinema and gangster movies, using exerts from (among others) The Maltese Falcon and the Thief of Bagdad as interludes. The song blends catchy synths with Jon Anderson's angelical, etheral vocals to create an absolutely awesome song that I can listen to again and again.

Runners Up: World Container by the Tragically Hip, A Night in Dildo by the Arrogant Worms, Dirty Life and Times by Warren Zevon.

So... what's cool in your musical world these days?[/COLOR]

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Hmmm.....well for this week it would probably be "My Own Summer" by Deftones. It's a pretty awesome song, although i'm not entirely sure it's my favorite for this week, considering I have a lot of favorite's. Or maybe "Mute" by Drowning Pool, it's pretty awesome too. I don't really know, I guess i'll just go with "My Own Summer" by Deftones. Rock on.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I don't really go much for the modernized standards of the music industry. I prefer stuff from games or particular TV shows etc. I used to watch Top of The Pops when i was younger but I found that there was never any music on it that I enjoyed, but I suppose my favourite song of this week is a bit of an oldie.

Sing, By travis. After hearing this song again, being ages since last, I realised how much I actually enjoy it. The tune is beautiful and the lyrics go extremely well with it.

[color=crimson] I'll go with "Little Lies" by Fleetwood Mac.

What can I say about Little Lies? It is one fo the most awesome songs to come out of the 80's. It has everything I like in a song. Catchy vocals, a funky tune. It is quite possibly a perfect song. :D

Runners Up
(but possibly winners for next week or whenever) Flock of Seagulls - I Ran, Murray Head - One Night in Bangkok, Genesis - Land of Confusion.[/color]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Well... theres several this week.

[B]Isis[/B] - [B]Weight[/B] - This is a rather calm, 10-minute song that is very soothing but still cool. It's danced on with female vocals singing 'all in all in all in a day' and later 'a day it changes everything' and is very pretty. Great song.

Every week for the past few weeks I've had a song from this CD stuck in my head...

[B]Pearls And Brass [/B] - [B]The Mirror [/B] - With some truly amazing riffage and well-sung vocals, this is one of the coolest songs I've ever heard, as much of [B]The Indian Tower [/B] CD is. Also helped inspire parts of the novel Im pumping out for NaNoWriMo.

And as of a few minutes ago...

[B]Agalloch[/B] - [B]The Desolation Song [/B] - An incredibly sad, but unbelievably pretty song. Sung softly over folkish acoustics and a wind-ish sound. I want to cry when I hear it.[I] Loooost in the desolation of liiiife...[/I][/COLOR]

[font=arial][size=1]Isis is an incredible band, dude.

I have a favorite song that's pretty much stuck for a year, that'd be "Eleven," aka. "Song 11" by I Would Set Myself On Fire For You. It's incredible, electronica, amazing guitarwork, and some really eerie storytelling and chanting. It's on the band's MySpace if you want to look them up.

However, my favorite song for this week is off of Kylesa's brand new release, [u]Time Will Fuse Its Worth[/u] and is called "What Becomes an End." It's Sludge Metal with a punk flavor to it, and what drew me to this song especially were the slowdowns in the 'chorus'. It's fun to listen to and I've been rocking out to it all day, haha. There's no real way for you guys to listen to it, sadly.[/font][/size]

[SIZE=1] The song of the week is [B][U]Lycanthrope [/B][/U] by (+44), why? because they talk about how [rough] relationships are like being attacked by werewolves also due to the fact that it'll be on the upcoming tony hawk's project VIII game[/SIZE]

[B][U]Runner Ups[/B][/U]
[list]
[*]Banquet / Bloc Party <- inide punk song of 2007
[*]Shark Attack / Senses Fail
[*]The Devil In A Blue Dress / Senses Fail Vs. Coheed And Cambria
[*]Calling All Cars / Senses Fail
[*]Febuary [Brian Walker's Action/Danger Reworking] / Death From Above 1979
[*]Tears Don't Fall / Bullet For My Valentine
[*]Guarded / Disturbed
[*]Waters Of Nazareth [Brian Walker's Dinosaurs Vs. Robots Mix] / Justice
[*]You'll Be Under My Wheels / The Prodigy <- electronica song of 2007
[/list]

[color=darkred]Angel of Death by Slayer will always be my number one song amongst a few others. The riffs, the solos, the drums, and even the vocals are all amazing. The lyrics aren't great, but they suit the music incredibly well. Disregarding the songs theme, it's a bloody evil song.

I went to see them on Wednesday by the way... they rocked the house and brought the roof down. \m/ >_< \m/[/color]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Okay, this was mine 2 weeks ago and I'm listening to it now, and it REALLY deserves recognition so without further ado.

[B]Maps And Atlases [/B] - [B]Every Place Is A House [/B] - This is a brilliant song woven from M&A's signature tap-estry with rediculously fast guitar work. Not only are the guitars amazing, but the song has a lot of soul and, in my opinion, the music is really deep despite having a lighthearted feel - I absolutely love it. Plus the singing is great, I love this guy's voice. The part in the middle where it cuts out the drums and bass and instead has clapping is the best.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Hmmm.....this week(it still may be the same week, I dont know) the coolest song i've heard is probably "Heart Shaped Box" by Nirvana. It's pretty cool, among other Nirvana songs that I have also heard this week. The runner-up to that would probably be "Dumb" also by Nirvana. Both of them I consider to be some awesome/classic songs. Rock on.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Guest Tempestates
[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Purple]Wassup everyone. I'm a new kid on the playground and want to play to.

The coolest new song for me right now..."Open Your Eyes' by Dreamside feat. Rogue and 'Sophia' by The Cruxshadows. #1 on the Billboard *jumps up & down with joy*[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Hmmm...let's see.......I think i'm probably going to have to go with "Stricken" by Disturbed. That's probably my favorite song for this week, mainly because I think it's just downright awesome song. Runner's up would have probably been other song's by Disturbed. Rock on.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=Sienna]This week: [B]Gear Jammer[/B] by George Thorogood. Awesome song, great riffs, awesome horns in the backround, very well sung by George, and just generally a whole lot of fun to listen to.

Honourable Mentions: Sporting Life Blues by Eric Clapton and JJ Cale, Sister Moonshine by Supertramp, Who Do You Love by George Thorogood.[/COLOR]

[size=1][color=slategray]The ORIGINAL [B]Power Rangers [/B] theme song for me. I even put it on my MySpace page. Ha. Recently I've gotten obsessed with Power Rangers, because I'm a geek like that. So, I go around making everything a Power Rangers reference. Obviously I looked for the original theme... and I've been listening to it ever since yesterday.
It has to be the best song in history, are you kidding me? Those guitar solos are orgasmic.

It's so damn catchy, too.

(I'm looking for a Power Rangers shirt, anyone have any good links by chance?)[/color][/size]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][b]Menouthis[/b] by [i]E.S. Posthumous[/i]. It's an instrumental and the song can evoke such amazing images that immediately make you want to write something epic that will last...it's 3:54 of images carried by drumbeats and wind instruments.

A close runner up, though, would have to be [b]No Good Deed[/b] from [i]Wicked[/i] -- quite different from the last song, but quite good in its own right.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Impact]coolest song of the week. Man i got a song that should be the coolest song of the month. Around The World by Daft Punk. Yeah its hella old but you just cant stop bobbing your head to the beat of that song once it started. The music video has got to be tht greatest one ive ever seen. The lyrics are so simple too. Anyone can remember it. it goes something like this.....

Around the world (repeat about 50 times or so)

Now a days people want to whine and cry or tell a story in their songs but lets not forget the true meaning of music. It's for making people dance and this song should be played in most parties. (except for those snooby fancy rich people parties. They can stick with their classical music. They dont deserve this song.) and if you like that one you should check out Interstella 555.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Black] This week it was hard to pick so I have two. The first is [U][B]Glasgow Mega-Snake[/U][/B] by Mogwai, the guitar riffs, distortion and the drums make the track sound less punk, more metal. It also goes good with Gears Of War, Perfect Dark Zero, and Dead Or Alive 4.

The other is [B][U]FEEL THE RUSH[/B][/U] by Melody. Remixed by Junkie XL, the song was written exculsively for the Need For Speed Carbon Soundtrack, and it fits very very well with the game, or any other action game out there, cos it give me this out of the midnight sky adrealine rush everytime I hear it.

[B][U]Honourable Mentions[/U][/B]
[list]
[*]Sugar [Jagz Kooner Remix] / Ladytron | Need For Speed Carbon Soundtrack
[*]Lycanthrope | (+44) / When Your Heart Stops Beating
[*]Streetcar | Funeral For A Friend / Hours
[/list]

- Leon Fury[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='The13thMan][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]I still love Mad World by Gary Jules from the Donnie Darko soundtrack. It's been my favorite song for a while...i don't know how much longer it'll last. It's a great song. [/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
That's exactly the song I'm addicted to at the moment. I heard it first on the Donnie Darko soundtrack, but it made a comeback to me when I heard it on the Gears of War trailer. It's an awesome song and always will be. I'm not to into the original song, however, too upbeat for me. :D

[COLOR=Black][SIZE=1]Song for the week of 20Nov06:
[B][I]The Devil In The Blue Dress[/B][/I] by Senses Fail Vs. Coheed And Cambria, why? cos it basically sums up a relationship that has now gone sour due to my outgoing and aggressive nature. I would post the lyrics but I will just redirect you [URL=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=55597]here [/URL], the last verse and chorus basically sum up the things I want to say to her right now, but I'm just too nice of a guy to say those things to a girl ^_^'

- Fury[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[B][COLOR=SeaGreen][FONT=Tahoma]I have just recently come across an amazing band named "Say Anything" and my song of the week MUST be "Every Man Has A Molly".

I picked this song for 3 reasons:

Reason #1: My name is Molly. So I have decided that this song is about me.

Reason #2: This song is one of the nicest things to grace my ears since I discovered "Daft Punk".

Reason #3: "Every Man Has A Molly", is about how the singer picked his band over his lover. That's just...very "practical", for lack of a better word.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

[QUOTE=darkisMINE][B][COLOR=SeaGreen][FONT=Tahoma]I have just recently come across an amazing band named "Say Anything" and my song of the week MUST be "Every Man Has A Molly".

I picked this song for 3 reasons:

Reason #1: My name is Molly. So I have decided that this song is about me.

Reason #2: This song is one of the nicest things to grace my ears since I discovered "Daft Punk".

Reason #3: "Every Man Has A Molly", is about how the singer picked his band over his lover. That's just...very "practical", for lack of a better word.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Hahaha. No it's not. It's about how his girlfriend dumped him because of his band, and how he thinks she's a total ***** as a result, and is telling everyone, everywhere.

I love that song, but Alive With The Glory Of Love is better.[/font][/color][/size]

Guest Heero yuy
Candice has tried and died by Point and miss
A local band I'm friends with, great acoustic song that's about the guitarist's sister who past away.

The Lisbon girls, oh the Lisbon girls by Fear before the march of flames.
I like it's energy.

Cleasner by Brand new
Great lyrics, great insturments.

Lament by Symphony in peril
I just like all their stuff.

Backs, knives and bestfriends by Point and miss
I helped write this song the lead acoustic was done by me. The rythm/vocals are amazing. And we all have been backstabbed...just a song that relates to everyone.

White lines (acoustic) by My American heart
Very soothing.