OtakuBoards

What are You Watching/Reading Now?

2010DigitalBoy

Right now, I'm watching the rest of the series [b]Black Lagoon[/b] dubbed.

It's so frikkin sweeeeet... Revy can't get any hotter... Or vulgar-er... XD

I'm reading some [b]Tenjho Tenge[/b] manga as well as some [b]Maria-sama ga Miteru[/b] books. Love yuri and shoujo-ai... :animestun

Hmm..lets see, I've been lately watching, Black Cat (almost finished with it!), Elemental Gelade (almost finished here 2), Fate/Stay Night(Just started watching it yesterday), GunXsword (going to watch today), Tsubasa(Only seen the first dvd of it :animecry:), Naruto Shippuden, Haruhi Suzumiya(Watched first 3 dvd's of it), Ergo Proxy(Just started watching it).

I've been reading alot of my friends manga lately, which is La' Corde De' Oro, Kitchen Princess, and Matamo Kiss. And some others I've gotten into are Punch!, Red River, Absolute Boyfriend, Yurara, Millenium Snow, Ayashi No Ceres, The Wallflower.:animesigh so thats pretty much it right now, heh ^^.

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Lets see... I've been watching [B]The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya[/B], I really enjoy all the antics between Haruhi and Kyon. As well as how Haruhi is so focused and just walks over anyone standing in the way of what she wants. lol I've also been watching [B]Lucky Star [/B]which is about a group of girls attending school. It's fun in how the whole show is just about their relationship with one another and stuff they talk about like eating food. It's amazing just how funny it is.

Then there's [B]Lovely Complex[/B] which is about a tall girl who falls for a guy shorter than her. The whole thing is really about her trying to just be a girl and not be treated different due to how tall she is. And though I've only seen one episode I'm also watching [B]Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei[/B] this show is simply priceless, as Dagger put it: [I]While trying to hang himself, the world's most negative man meets the world's most positive girl. Oh, and it turns out that he's her new teacher. What follows is twenty minutes of hilarity. [/I] And it's totally true.

As for reading. I'm not reading any manga at the moment. And though I do have some Mercedes Lackey books I'm reading, for the life of me I can't think of the titles at the moment. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Oi. In light of the fact that season 2 has been announced officially, my brother and I are maathoning season one of [B]xXxHolic[/B]. I had read the first 3 manga borrowed from a friend and found it nteresting, so I thought, why not. We're currently passing ep 16. So far, it's been really good. It suffers from the problem of most manga-turned-anime in which stuff takes a lot longer to happen then I'd like, but the medium works well for the style of the series.

Oh, and the show has the worst sound effects ever XD[/COLOR]

So I just watched episode 12 of [b]Dennou Coil[/b], which is one of the single best (and funniest) anime episodes I've ever seen. Even if you're not that interested in the series as a whole, you owe it to yourself to check this out. The jargon established in earlier episodes might go over your head, but the main point won't.

~Dagger~

[COLOR="Magenta"]Currently I'm watching [B]Black Cat[/B]. I've only reached episode 6 and need to go out and get another DVD. I'm also watching [B]Bleach[/B]. I'm on episode 46 and it seems things are getting good. I watch on Adult Swim with my sis. I also watch [B]FMA[/B].

I have a ton of collections that I'm reading now. Currently I'm collecting [B]Fruits Basket, Tsubasa, .Hack, Vampire Game, Vampire Knight, Yurara, Ouran High School Host Club, Negima, XxXHolic, Rosen Maiden, Gentlemen's Alliance +, Millenium Snow, Platium Garden, and Absolute Boyfriend.[/B]

So far I'm rereading Tsubasa and then I'll go to Chobits and then Fruits Basket. Fruits Basket I have up to 17 and for Tsubasa I have 13.

[/COLOR]

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]At the moment Im watching Naruto Shippuden, Bleach, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.Im readng Air Gear, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Sgt. Frog, Tsubasa, and Deathnote (Yea, I just got into it...)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Dagger, I wholeheartedly second your thoughts on Mononoke's second episode. The strange art style and surreal blurred animation only heightened the uneasy atmosphere, while the audio especially played an integral role in adding to the intensity. Seemingly traditional Japanese music infused with traces of creepy ambience.

There were definitely spots of the episode that had my scratching my proverbial head because of how strange they were.. Yet the unsettling qualities kind of deterred me from rewatching it directly afterwards. If I were to associate another anime director's work with this feeling, I'd say Satoshi Kon gave me similar vibes with the majority of his films and Paranoia Agent. Mononoke, however, manages to cloak itself in a similar eerie psychological aura (though it hasn't gotten as weird as anything Kon concocted yet, I'll admit) while boasting an attractive setting rooted in Japanese folklore and fantasy. Could be a rare breed.

(Indeed, we probably need a spot to discuss the series. :p If you don't get around to making a thread, I probably will.)

So, anyway. I'm occupying myself with Haruhi lately, and it's even wilder than I originally expected it to be. This, of course, is a good thing. It's probably worth noting that I'm watching the series in chronological order, as opposed to its intended (?) order (the order it aired in Japan). I can't help but feel that I'm missing out on some zaniness by doing this, so I plan to rewatch it in its original airing order at some point as well. I love Kyon's cynical narration; it's filled with all kinds of sarcastic and crude remarks, while his exterior personality seems to reveal an aloof-yet-meticulous character constantly biting off more than he can chew. It's really easy to get into his personality and grow attached to his character this way. Aurally and visually, the series is absolutely fabulous too. I've always told myself that the ending theme was overrated, but now I see that it's no wonder that it spawned so many parodies and variations. The animation is some of the crispest, cleanest stuff I've seen in a while too.

[COLOR=#001824][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Ugh, my anime feed has been pretty thin these past couple of months. The only thing I can really pick out of it would have to be Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann because its the only one out of the bunch that I really am into with a passion like no other. I must admit though it has some of the oddest mech designs that I think I've ever seen.

Manga wise its a little more broad. Currently I've been reading more into Tenjou Tenge, Gantz, as well as Claymore. I did a binge reading on 666 Satan, (which I've heard may be an anime soon, hurrah) and its quickly become one of my favorites.

I really need to start looking for some more things soon.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Since I heard y'all talking I decided to check some stuff out.

I just got done watching episode one of [B]Mononoke[/B] and afterward, promptly dropped it. The artstyle is too much - I can't handle it. It doesn't do much at all in the way of characterzation or anything, just trippy animation and weird stuff happening - not enough substance for me. It reminded me wholly of the movie [B]Mind Game[/B].

I also watched episode one of Golden Age, which seemed pretty cool. Definitely has some sick battles already. The way the kid calls the space ship his mom was awesome XD Like man shows of it's type, though, the first episode was more like a prelude than a beginning.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Avenged666fold']I thought it was pretty good. Fitting for the series in my opinion.[/QUOTE]
I like it--the first time I watched the series in full, I stuck to the English version--but it doesn't stand up to a lot of newer dubs. That said, there are some stunning individual performances. Rachael Lillis as Utena in episode 33 is just brilliant. The critical scene relies entirely on the power of her monologue.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']I like it--the first time I watched the series in full, I stuck to the English version--but it doesn't stand up to a lot of newer dubs. That said, there are some stunning individual performances. Rachael Lillis as Utena in episode 33 is just brilliant. The critical scene relies entirely on the power of her monologue.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Utena is like 10 years old though...so you gotta cut it a little slack.
Nanami's voice is infectious!(I <3 Nanami!)

I should probably post something on topic now.

[B]Black Heaven[/B](ep10-13)
It kinda has a weird jumbled ending...but it is kinda fitting for a weird jumbled story. Still a great series if you like hard rock(especially the japanese variety)

[B]The Place Promised to Us in Our Early Days[/B](first 20 minutes)
It got boring so I turned it off...that's right I turned it off. It doesn't get right to the goodness like voice of a distant star.(but that movie is only 30 minutes so maybe that's why)

[COLOR="Navy"]For me, it's been busy on both the fansub and DvD sides.

[U]For fansubbed shows I am currently watching:[/U]

[B]-Claymore[/B]
[B]-Darker Than Black[/B]
[B]-Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS[/B]
[B]-Seirei no Moribito[/B]
[B]-Romeo X Juliet[/B]
[B]-Idolm@ster Xenoglossia[/B]
[B]-El Cazador de la Bruja[/B] (A bit difficult for me not to compare it with Noir or Madlax, since they all have some of the staff in common)
[B]-Murder Princess OVA's[/B]

[U]For DvD currently being released and some I may end up getting in the future are:[/U]

[B]-Le Chevalier D'Eon[/B]
[B]-Ergo Proxy[/B] (Even though I already watched it fansubbed last year or so, but now with better quality)
[B]-Kurau:Phantom Memory[/B]
[B]-Princess Princess[/B] (I mean screw it, I was curious about this one lol)
[B]-Fate/Stay Night[/B] (watched it subbed as well, but I was particularly interested in watching this one on DvD,since I really liked it when I saw it fansubbed)
[B]-Ah! My Goddess season 2[/B]
[B]-.hack//ROOTS[/B] (I guess I watch this one for the sake of watching it all the .hack stuff)
[B]-Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya[/B]

[U]Will most likely get in the near future:[/U]

[B]-Gusnlinger Girl[/B]
[B]-Basilisk[/B] (Saw it fansubbed, but the quality wasn't all that good)
[B]-Rumbling Hearts[/B]
[B]-Air Gear[/B] (started watching the subs, but when I started the DvD's, I was already into so many other shows, kinda lost interest. Will pick it up sometime)
[B]-Air[/B] (I have heard some good stuff about this one, but never saw it subbed, so buying it this week)

I think that's pretty much what I am watching right now. Of all those shows, I think I am most interested in seeing how [B]Seirei no Moribito[/B] and [B]Darker than Black[/B] end up. As well, I am eager to see how [B]Claymore[/B] ends up as well, but that one I think I already have an idea on where it's going.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Ani_Freak'][color=navy]Oh I see. A Couple of friends told me it was good, but not great. I'll see if I can find a preview somewhere, I am pretty sure NewType sent a DvD with an episode sometime ago lol. Thank you for the heads up.[/color][/QUOTE]

No problem. There is no telling if it gets better later on. For all I know it has an epic ending or something. From the stuff I saw you might wanna check out Midori Days.

Here is a link for ya
[URL="http://www.animecornerstore.com/midoridays.html"]http://www.animecornerstore.com/midoridays.html[/URL]

Gunslinger girls and Midori days are around the same price.

[quote name='Ani_Freak'][color=navy]Oh I see. A Couple of friends told me it was good, but not great. I'll see if I can find a preview somewhere, I am pretty sure NewType sent a DvD with an episode sometime ago lol. Thank you for the heads up.[/color][/QUOTE]
Gunslinger Girl doesn't have universal appeal. Some fans think the world of it, though (I'm one of them). It has richly animated action scenes, but it's not an action series. I think that's where the problem stems from--people want it to be a dramatic, smash-bang production when really it's a slice-of-life show that happens to be about little girl cyborgs.

It's quiet, subtle and kind of heartbreaking. There's a lot of character exploration but no saving-the-world story. And, as is probably appropriate for a show that deals with counter-terrorism, it's never clear who's really good or bad.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Gunslinger Girl doesn't have universal appeal. Some fans think the world of it, though (I'm one of them). It has richly animated action scenes, but it's not an action series. I think that's where the problem stems from--people want it to be a dramatic, smash-bang production when really it's a slice-of-life show that happens to be about little girl cyborgs.

It's quiet, subtle and kind of heartbreaking. There's a lot of character exploration but no saving-the-world story. And, as is probably appropriate for a show that deals with counter-terrorism, it's never clear who's really good or bad.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

THATS IT! That's what bore me! Counter terrorism always comes of as boring to me. That explains Noir and this! Oh well. Actually there was one episode (I can't remember if it was 3 or 4) that was really good. [Spoiler]It showed the cyborg girl making friends with the hotel worker then killing him.[/spoiler]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Holy hell, did I just casually walk into the thread and see someone badmouthing [B]Gunslinger Girl[/B]?! *writes you down on the 'do not listen to their reccomendations' list*

Aside from the first 2 episodes of GG, what I've seen was a spectacular anime that does a great job of capturing the feel of my favorite manga. (the trouble with the first two is that they seemed to split one episode in half and had to use scenes from the first over again). I give it a high reccomendation.

Anywho, I streamed [B]REC[/B] last night and if there's no thread for it, I'm about to create one.[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Holy hell, did I just casually walk into the thread and see someone badmouthing [B]Gunslinger Girl[/B]?! *writes you down on the 'do not listen to their reccomendations' list*

Aside from the first 2 episodes of GG, what I've seen was a spectacular anime that does a great job of capturing the feel of my favorite manga. (the trouble with the first two is that they seemed to split one episode in half and had to use scenes from the first over again). I give it a high reccomendation.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[quote name='Dagger']Gunslinger Girl doesn't have universal appeal. Some fans think the world of it, though (I'm one of them).[/quote]

I guess so...

Anyway I wasn't really bad mouthing it. I was just saying near the beginning it was rather boring to me.