OtakuBoards

What are You Watching/Reading Now?

2010DigitalBoy

Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi ~ I didn't really start this too long ago, but I'm already up to episode forty six. I really enjoy the comedy, that mixed in with the martial arts kind of brings me back to Ranma 1/2. Couldn't stay away from this. It's like Ranma Saotome if he were a coward!

Bokura no ~ Well, I WAS watching this. But I haven't seen a new episode in a while (on episode thirteen). I like how twisted it is. I'm assuming the manga is better though, so that's what I wanna get my hands on.

School Days ~ This was recommended so I took a look today, and I'll most likely be watching more.

Naruto ~ I feel really guilty watching this, because it's rapidly becoming crappier and crappier. But two of my friends watch it and every time they're together, they talk about it, so I went ahead and started myself on this. After catching up to the current episodes I very much regret ever starting.

Neo Ranga ~ I own this one for no particular reason, and I pretty much watch one disc every few months? >_>

Hikaru no Go ~ I started with the manga like, as soon as Shonen Jump brought it to the U.S., then started the anime this year....months ago; and haven't finished yet. Hey though! It made me start playing Go (sometimes)! That's like the point of the series. Which is all that matters. >_>

Lovely Complex ~ Well, I got to episode ten, and then...stopped. >_> It was very funny, but for some reason I quit watching it.

Kashimashi ~ I was watching this, then, I wasn't. Nothing against it, but I randomly switch anime. A lot.

Akagi ~ Kinda sorta watching this.

Air ~ It's On Demand, so I've been watching when they release a new episode. Even with dub I like it.

Innocent Venus ~ Same as above.

Future viewing:

Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu? ~ I feel odd about waiting so long to buy this, since I've owned the first season for a...while now. Also have to buy The Second Raid.

(Ranma 1/2) Big Trouble in Nekoron, China ~ Haven't seen it, I've just been waiting to buy it and I will by next week.

(Ranma 1/2) Nihao My Concubine ~ Same as above.

Crest of the Stars ~ I've seen like...the first few episodes, I think the first two discs of the series at my friend's house. I'll have to see the rest sometime.

Hajime no Ippo ~ Never seen it, I'm gonna just buy the whole thing someday and then watch it. Sometimes I do that.

Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo ~ Gonna have to randomly buy it some day.

Tenchi Muyo! (second half of the OVAs) ~ I just have to buy this someday. It's my pretend goal in life to own it.

Moonlight Mile

Lucky Star

Mushishi

I think that's it.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Since the thread didn't heal~~

Oi. Now with 2 seasons under my belt, Maria-sama ga Miteru has warmed up to me enough that I like it a lot - not a favorite or anything, but definitely an excellent show that I look forward to continue watching (which is convenient cuz the series just keeps going and going?). Season 2 was a lot more fun than season 1 on basically every level for every reason there is. As I said before, it took me over half of the first season to really start enjoying it, and it wasn?t until the last few episodes that I recognized it as something I enjoyed. Starting off season 2 with a few funny episodes and the fact that I knew all of the characters? names and their basic personalities really helped (probably because it?s the exact opposite of season 1?s start.)

Now, like everything I watch, the characters are really what make Marimite for me - which is all it could be anyway - the show is just characters and nothing else. And boy, are they very complicated people, heh. Seriously, I wish I had friends who were as three-simensional as these girls (though really, if the show is any indication, it would only make my life harder ^^;;). Character interaction is the foundation of Marimite in that every little thing that goes on when the characters talk is taken into account. A distracted glance; a fluttering tone; or simply the way someone is walking all effect the perception of the characters not only by the viewer, but by the other characters.

In some ways, it makes me wonder if the characters are all robots, but then I remember that this is anime, and characters are allowed to have super-awesome communication skills. Besides, robots could never have the pure emotion that is shown in every second of Marimite.

Nothing is ever wasted in this show. Well, that wasn?t true as much in the first season, but this time around I think that there were almost zero wasted words ever. No meaningless conversation, throwaway jokes, or pointless remarks that are ever-present in your average anime. EVERYTHING has meaning in this show, and in that respect, I?d say it has some of the best writing I?ve ever seen.

On that same coin, though, there were a couple things that did bother me about ths season. The first being that it has started to repeat itself a little. Now, mind you, the style of showing only one character?s perception and then pulling a twist on you when you hear the others? side of the story is a great tactic in my opinion, because it feels like you are right there with the character, feeling what she feels. When Yumi is wondering why Sachiko seems to have abandoned her, you wonder why yourself and feel as heartbroken and flustered as Yumi does. While I do enjoy that tactic, though, I think it might be overused a little, especially in the case of Yumi and Sachiko?s relationship. It?s not an overly large complaint, but it?s one that could become redundant if it keeps happening in future seasons.

Anyway, season two was far more impressive than the first one, and left a far larger impact (rather than ending it saying ?oh, the last few epsiodes were nice? I?m thinking ?wow, those were a great 13 episodes?). I can?t wait to keep going.[/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
[B]Watching:[/B]
[I]Key the Metal Idol[/I] - 15-episode OVA about a robot girl who can become human if she makes 30,000 friends. But of course, like all robot girls, a sinister corporation is after her.

Also been watching some random stuff: [I]Hellsing Ultimate[/I] OVAs and Vol. 1 of [I]Welcome to the NHK[/I].

[B]Reading:[/B]
I reall want to take the time and get all the way through [I]Angel Sanctuary[/I], since I stopped around Vol. 10 or so to wait for the rest of it to come out first.

[size=1][b]Watching[/b] - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni KAI, the second season to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Absolutely loving it, though I will wait until the season ends before pasisng judgements about which season I like best. Though season two is considerably less violent than season one; heck, the most violent scene so far was in episode 13 [spoiler]where K1 and pals each got sniped, one way or the other[/spoiler], and that was barely even that violent. Not that I mind, of course, just an observation.

[b]Reading[/b] - Chobits and Rozen Maiden. I've read all of Chobits allready, but now I'm actually buying it. Currently have the first two volumes. And Rozen Maiden is just amazing, and the art is outstanding. I've seen up to two episodes of the anime already, though, just far too lazy to watch any more, as of right now.[/size]

[COLOR="Navy"]I've been watching [b]Dragonball Z[/b] lately. Probably not the choice many folks here would watch. But I had to go back to what started it all for me, and well, I've been craving it for some time. I can only watch from the Android/Cell Games saga .... skip a part... Buu saga seeing that's all I have at the moment. (recorded over my other tapes, that I am now regretting.)

It's too bad that Cartoon Network refuse to start from the Saiyan saga because I really want to see it from the beginning. (Don't say anything about purchasing DVD's. I don't feel like spending any money :))

Still reading the same manga's. [b]Bleach[/b], [b]Naruto[/b], and [b]Tenjho Tenge[/b], although I haven't read TT in a while.[/COLOR]

Just finished the [b]Arietta[/b] OVA. Being in widescreen seems to double Aria's usual healing effect, haha. Frankly, I think I would trade in the entire fall season (with its mechs and its yuri and what have you) if it meant getting more Aria right now.

~Dagger~

Man, all this talk about Mononoke is making me want to see it more and more now. It should be finished dling in a little bit so I'll give my thoughts on that joint in a bit.

But other than that, I've been hooked on Tsubasa Chronicles lately. Also Bleach is nice. And as always, I'm always watchin Dragonball. And still on some Naruto(especially now that they're on that Sound 5/Rescue Sasuke saga) and Naruto Shippuden(FINALLY about to begin the return of Sasuke saga).

And for those that havent seen it yet, Air Gear is that HOTNESS. I definetly recommend that anime to anyone. A good friend of mine is about to introduce me to Glass Fleet later on today so that should be interesting.

So yeah, I'm fully back into some anime now. About to check out Basilisk when the boxset drops this week. See what that thing is talkin about.

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1][b]Watching:[/b] I'm rewatching a lot of old series that I never completely saw right now. This is just so I can finally move on to some new stuff... I really hate starting new series when I need to finish more than one already. So here's the list:
- [B].hack//SIGN[/B]
- [B]Sailor Moon[/B]
- [B]Tenchi Universe[/B]

Then I also started [B]Naruto Shippuden[/B] and [B]Revolutionary Girl Utena[/B] lately.

[B]Reading:[/B] Nothing as of now, really. I just finished [i]Death Note[/i] and plan on starting [i]Chobits[/i] soon. I also need to catch up on [i]Loveless[/i], gaah.[/size]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Argh, I was the last poster in the Shana thread >_> Thankfully, that's what this thread's for!

So far, I?m really enjoying Shana season 2. If you didn?t notice, I only recently finished the first season of Shana, so I?m lucky enough to be able to pick up right after leaving off. while it good so far, though, it?s a little bit of a bumpy road. The first episode, I thought, was really good, and yet the next one was only ?okay? in m opinion. The episode had a lot of pondering to figure out the situation, which is usually a way of gathering necessary hints for the next battle. However, seeing as the Tomogara was killed rather easily, and we have yet to see that scenario again, it seems like the second ep was at least a bit pointless. However, episode 3 helped get things back on track with some fun scenes that involved a plan that actually made sense (this only happens once-on-a-while in Shana) and the introduction of there?s-no-way-your-convincing-me-that?s-not Hecate.

Episode 4, which I just completed, was interesting, but a little boring, and most importantly made me a little angry. There were a few things that I really liked. Yuji?s advancements in ability are nice to see, and his new possible rivalry looks like it could be interesting. I also think it would add some heavy drama if Yuji does what he looks like he?s doing and falls for t-n-w-y-c-t-n Hecate. As well, the end of the episode shows that Shana and Yoshida might actually form some kind of friendship, so that could be interesting.

However, there were some things that I thought were just stupid. Has Shana really not realized her emotions toward this girl yet? After having gone through all this once before? Why doesn?t Shana or Yoshida get more assertive? And for the god, someone please *****-slap Yuji. throughout season one, i came to like Yuji more than you average brain-dead male lead, but man, he?s slipping. He?s not just oblivious anymore, now he?s bordering on plain stupidity. He?s close to Shana now, and he knows that Yoshida is in love with him. I can understand that the new girl looks really innocent and his intentions are good, but how the **** is he not questioning things a little yet?! Ugh? anyway, I?ll continue to watch with strange devotion.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Navy"]I haven't been watching anything new as of late. I did manage to catch [b]Death Note[/b] on Saturday. Although, I didn't pay much attention to the episode itself, the little conversation between Light and L was really interesting. Kind of hooked me there for a moment. Depending on if I feel like looking at it this Saturday, I may check it out.

I'm still watching [b]Naruto[/b] on CN. It's really overhyped, but it's still decent at the same time. The voices are really boring, and sometimes annoying, but I don't really have much of a problem with that anymore. IMO, the dialogue is what kills it for me because most of words coming out of these characters mouth ranges from stupid to not making any sense at all. And then there's the animation. Perhaps my biggest gripe with this entire series. I'm still waiting on this high quality animation I've heard so much about. In any case, in one episode the animation can be pretty good, and then in another episode, the animation just looks down right hideous. I won't even begin speaking about the characters... XD. But I'm done picking on Naruto.

The only manga I've been reading is [b]Bleach[/b]. As I mentioned in the Bleach manga thread, I've been having some captain issues, but other than that, I'm just hoping they hurrying up with this arc. It's been an up and down arc for me. And I just want to see some of the other characters ([spoiler]Urahara and Isshin[/spoiler])
[/COLOR]

Well as far as reading goes, I'm still not following anything at the moment. But I did get back into watching [B]Lovely Complex[/B] the other day. It's still just as funny as I remember and the second season is turning out to be even more fun with the introduction of new characters. Other than that I'm not really following anything at the moment. I have too many other things that keep coming first.

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Well as far as reading goes I'm about to start two new books I got by Mercedes Lackey, Phoenix and Ashes and The Wizard of London, two more in her elemental masters series. ^_^ I really enjoyed the first two so I'm looking forward to reading more. She's also one of my favorite authors so I love her stuff.

Now as for the anime, I'm currently watching [B]Lovely Complex[/B], I started it and never finished so I'm doing that now since it's turning out to be wonderfully funny. I'm also watching [B]Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei[/B], that show has me going back and forth between laughing and cringing, it's so bizarre! Hehe. Anyway, that's about all for me, to many other things to do so I don't have enough time to really watch more than a few series at a time. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Guest CptNien
I just finished watching Genshiken for the second time and I have to say its as enjoyable as the first time around. I love the various references and I find all of the characters very endearing.
Currently I'm working on Serial Experiments Lain, Bleach and Ergo Proxy. Bleach seems to be somethign that I'll be watching on and off, while I'll probably finish up Lain and Ergo Proxy soon. I have a terrible habit of leaving a series and eventually making my way back to it sometime later. ><

[color=#4B0082]I'm watching [b]Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight![/b] right now and farther cementing my Aya Hirano fanboyism. Mei is like Kagami from Lucky Star only voiced by Aya, which is a little odd since it's the opposite roll from Lucky Star, but also awesome at the same time. I can't get enough.

[center][img]http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4961/ayaownsyoutb9.jpg[/img][/center]
Oh yeah, and the rest of the show is pretty good too. It reminds me of Lucky Star in other ways as well, though the humor is notably more physical rather than conversational. There's lots of funny, cute, and heartwarming moments that make it a really fun series.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]Does my watching something really influence people around here that much? :o

It is a good series from what I've seen so far (through ep6), though. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes weird/cute school comedies. There hasn't been an episode yet that's failed to make me laught out loud. And [url=http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8760/manamimikavl4.jpg][u]omg the cuteness[/u][/url], it's too much; the characters can be really adorable even while being completely weird.[/color]

Re: the current season, I'm down to Shugo Chara, ef, Clannad and Gundam 00. There aren't enough hours in the day for KimiKiss, and I'm not going to prioritize Ghost Hound until I get my technical difficulties fixed.

I'm writing a term paper on the relationship between [b]Bakeneko[/b] & traditional kaidan (ghost/monster stories), so I'll be re-watching both the Ayakashi and Mononoke versions of it for a while...

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Re: the current season, I'm down to Shugo Chara, ef, Clannad and Gundam 00. There aren't enough hours in the day for KimiKiss, and I'm not going to prioritize Ghost Hound until I get my technical difficulties fixed.

I'm writing a term paper on the relationship between [b]Bakeneko[/b] & traditional kaidan (ghost/monster stories), so I'll be re-watching both the Ayakashi and Mononoke versions of it for a while...

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]watching ef obsessively - may be my favorite of the season and Blue Drop is at the top of my list of importance as well. CLANNAD, shugo Chara, and KnJ are 'need to catch up, but not by much', Minami-ke and Sketchbook I managed to catch up on and am loving, GHOST HOUND hasn't been around long, but is great.

the shows that i want to watch but have only seen 1-2 eps of are Genshiken 2, Mokke, Bamboo Blade, and Moyashimon.

I might drop Kimikiss cuz ef ruined it for me, and since my bro is never available to watch, I'm likely dropping Night Wizard. Shana season 2... I'll watch the rest cuz it's Shana but.... :animesigh[/COLOR]

Still glad to hear that others are enjoying ef. It succeeds in some areas and not so much in others, but overall you can really tell that they're trying, and it's much more than a straightforward game adaptation. Points for ambition, and added points if they clean up some of the sloppier areas (visually speaking) for the DVD version.

I hope SHAFT makes a second season after the second half of the game comes out.

~Dagger~

Just caught up on widescreen Clannad (up to episode 4 now). I had some doubts at the beginning, but it's really smoothed out. Kanon 2006 didn't play as well for me, coming after AIR; it became too clear that it was based on an earlier and (IMO) less sophisticated game. Since Clannad is a more recent work, this time we get to see the maturation of Key's writing instead.

I like that there's so much interaction taking place across the whole cast, and not just between Tomoya and the individual girls. (I almost exploded during the RyouxNagisa scene. :animenose) So someone go post in the thread. :)

Hoping to get back to Ghost Hound this weekend. Then I ought to be caught up with everything (although DVDs are a whole other matter)...

~Dagger~