OtakuBoards

What do you snack on?

Dagger

When you get hungry in the middle of the night, when you can't stand to wait another two hours for dinner, or when you desperately need some brain food, what do you reach for first?

For me the answer changes somewhat depending on whether I'm at home or away at school, but dry Cheerios are always a top choice. Especially when they're mixed with raisins. A 1:00 am bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats + almonds and milk is always a pleasure, and a vending-machine bag of Smartfood white cheddar popcorn has given me the willpower to go on writing many a paper.

Sometimes the best snacks are even simpler. A teaspoon of peanut butter or Nutella; a Clementine; a slice of aged Gruyere. In terms of packaged stuff, I [i]love[/i] the [url=http://www.fritolay.com/fl/flstore/cgi-bin/Nutrition_ProdID_551734.htm][u]Cinnamon Crunch[/u][/url] Quaker Snack Mix... it's absurdly addictive. Lorna Doones and Baked Cheetos are also a favorite.

*goes to cut herself some Gruyere*

~Dagger~

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]lol... I'm always snacking, though most of the time I appease myself with Mountain Dew. However, there are a number of 'usual' things that end up in my cabnet/freezer and I doubt I'll get to all of them in one post, however...

White Castle Burgers. How I managed to live without these I'll never know - they are the magnum opus of things that take a minute to cook in the microwave. ****, I don't even like onions, but these things are GOD'S NECTAR... only solid, and a burger. I could live off of these... I mean, obviously I'd have health issues, but I'd be fine with that XD.

Hormel makes these little 90-second meals that are pretty great - a slab of meatloaf and mashed potatoes, or turkey and potatoes, or other meat with other type of potatoe - it's all good.

there's also those chef-boyardee things that take 90 seconds which I pretty much only eat the macaroni kind. There's just too little difference between all the noodle+beef combos... get's annoying. And I LOVE macaroni and cheese.

Some less common ones are Pizza Rolls (because we rearely buy them) and ramen - I don't like instant cup ramen - just something about it isn't right. I'll take the packaged kind, thanks.

Yeah, liek I said I could get to much more, but I might need to stare at the pantry for a bit. I'm about ready to get a snack anyway, and that macaroni is sounding good =_=[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]The tears of small children.

.......pumpkin seeds actually. And atomic fireballs because I really ADORE cinnamon in all its forms, even when it makes me tear up and cry like I'm chopping thousands of onions. I also sometimes splurge and snack on the rice cakes from the Vietnamese market, but those aren't anything and are hardly considered filling.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]Depends on what's available at the time. Sometimes I go salty, sometimes sweet, blah blah blah.

My preferences right now are much more specific, and I am very happy if I can get at them. I am becoming extremely fond of fruit yogurt of late, and a robust meaty chili has kept me sated for several hours at times. I also have a weak spot for chocolate with raisins. I prefer dark chocolate; in fact, I am almost unable to stand milk chocolate anymore, what since I have drifted to the 60% cacao side of the spectrum. Hershey's Special Dark is only 45%, I think, but I have had 85% before, and that stuff'll knock your socks off. Literally. It's like solid coffee substitute. Woof.

Also, pepperonis, cheddar cheese, and either Ritz or Town House crackers are amazing. :D[/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]I don't really snack much, I just drink coffee or tea [i]all the time.[/i] It's not exactly food but it keeps things flowing. Occasionally I'll cook a packet of ramen (you're not alone in disliking the cup ramen DB), eat a banana, or grab some chips as a snack but not often.

The exception is when there's something I particularly like sitting around that can easily be eaten while I'm doing something else. Such as right now, I'm slowly working on a box of Thin Mints that I got from Christmas. As far as candy goes, though, M&Ms are the main culprit; it's deceptively easy to eat way too many of those things together with a few cups of coffee while I'm doing stuff on my PC.[/color]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I have a second question for everyone - do you ever find yourself snacking on something while waiting for your snack to cook? Jsut now I was making a Hormel and ended up eating Nutter Butters while in wait >.>

You know, it keeps occuing to me that this big-*** bag of Doritoes has been sitting next to my chair for over a week and I haven't even touched them >_<[/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Dill pickles, baby carrots, snap peas... that kind of stuff. For the most part... Junk food makes me tired so I avoid it. XP Probably the only exception is pocky... I like the strawberry and chocolate that my mom gets from the store. :catgirl: Of course it might help that they aren't a sugar shock to eat. lol Oh and I do love the peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies that Beth makes. Those make a great snack with hot chocolate. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Dagger']A 1:00 am bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats + almonds and milk is always a pleasure,[/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=#8B008B]Yes! My favourite cereal!

It depends on what I'm craving. Usually it's mushrooms [cooked or not]. Then it's yogurt, cereal [Special K or Honey Bunches of Oats]...but it really depends on what I have in my house.

Lately I've been craving/snacking chocolatey snacks [Ferrero Rocher, Milanos, truffles...].

As for snacking while waiting, I've never found myself doing that.[/size][/color]

[SIZE=1] when I happen to have those crazy hunger pains at unscheduled moments, my system craves for hot cheetos to be washed down with java monster coffee energy drinks or mt. dew.

but when it's late night, I usually raid my freezer for the Häagen-Dazs ice cream, especially the Cinnamon Dulce de Leche, Sticky Toffee Pudding and Mocha Chip flavours.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="#004a6f"]Unfortunately, I rarely snack on fruits anymore. I stuffed my face full of fruits when I was a kid, and now I'm rarely in the mood for them anymore. My mom is always buying big, juicy, delicious-looking strawberries, and I never end up eating any while siblings finish them off. Fruits have this certain kind of sourness that usually turns me off. But sometimes on rare occasions I get drawn back to them (watermelon ain't bad :p).

Anyway, I find my self grabbing handfuls of dry cereal when I need a quick hunger fix. Honeynut Cheerios and Oatmeal Crisp are my favourites.

My mom always cooks big delicious meals (yesterday she made cabbage rolls), but I'm constantly hungry and always find my self snacking and spoiling my appetite before dinner. I love cheese, so I usually make a cream cheese bagel of melted cheese sandwhich. Or I have a couple of cookies if I want something sweet.

And like Dagger, I can't live without tea or coffee. My biggest vice is the amount of sugar I put in.[/COLOR]

[color=darkgreen][font=garamond]Chicken crimpy shapes - totally addicted to them, to the point where i'd get dehydrated from eating so much salt.

Other strange things I eat for a quick fix is - boiled fresh asparagus. I know I should steam it, but I can't be bothered. Baked beans on toast is fantastic. Chocolate ice cream topping sandwiches. A pool of ice magic frozen in the bottom of the bowl, eaten with a spoon. Rock salt - that you kind of have to pair with a bottle of water. Salad ginger. Boiled brown rice. Cous cous and soy sauce.[/font][/color]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]A good snack to snack on...hm?

For me, it really depends really. When I'm getting home from school and haven't eaten lunch, which is almost always cause my school food is gross, I usually get a bowl of grapes or something sweet. Depending on what we have.

Now if I wake up in the middle of the night, I usually get an apple. Trying this thing out where I get some healthy food instead of junk food but sometimes it doesn't always work and I'll grab a back of the fun size chips to go with that apple.:animesmil

All my sister do the dry cereal thing but I really don't like my cereal dry. So sometimes I will sneak a bowl of frosted flakes or whatever late at night.

So all in all, it really just depends for me.:catgirl:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]When i'm thinking health i roll with the apple and cheesy sticks. Tasty and healthy! Plus it's always a nice contrast to the beer and other intoxicants my roommates so indulge upon. When i don't care about my super ripped body i just eat junk food. Zebra cakes are good, cereal out of the box (Cappy Crunch), M&Ms, fruit flavored anaconda snack bites, lead based paints... Theeeeeey're great!

For the record....eff tony the tiger. He gets kids addicted to frosted flakes, which everybody knows is the gateway cereal. It starts out all fun and games and then next thing you know you're passed out in some inner city alley with empty boxes of Count Chocula littered all about. Just say no!

[/FONT][/COLOR]

To be honest, I rarely ever snack. When I do, it's more of just motivation to keep my metabolism up, but I don't really get hungry in between meals.

When I do, though - I usually put yogurt into an ice cube tray in the freezer, if I need to keep my metabolism going, or simply feel a little hungry, I just pop a couple out and have that. Even something so small and light can tide me over, as I said it really isn't about hunger in my case.

I don't really have a main snack food since what I'll munch on changes so much. One month it will be something healthy like fruit where the next it's stuff like M&M's or chips of some kind. The right kind of cookies is always good, or even some tea or since it's winter right now, hot chocolate.

@20080DigitalBoy I rarely snack on something else while something is cooking up.

[FONT="Arial"]I don't think I ever snack. There is either no snack food around here, no snack food I actually like, or no snack food that won't make me feel guilty after consuming it.

The one thing I can think of that I actually do snack on every now and then are Flaming Hot Cheetoes. I just don't do it that often because A) they're called Flaming Hot for a reason, B) each bag has like 400 calories in it, and C) I can NEVER find them in a vending machine at school because everyone else likes them as much as I do. And they're not that easy to find at a grocery store, either. But when I do get them, I have to be careful not to down a whole package in one sitting because of reason B. :[

I think I mostly never eat between meals because I've become rather health conscious. Or maybe it's because I don't feel like spending a whole dollar on a bag of chips at school, or because I can't find a working vending machine.

I really don't eat much of anything, anyway...

Oh, sometimes I find myself craving Special K cereal like nobody's business, and when that happens I eat at least three bowls of it a day.[/FONT]

[COLOR="Purple"]I seem to be the only one who actually eats the ramen in the cup. It just tastes better to me, and takes a lot less effort (I don't cook it like it says to on the cup, I just fill it with cold water and microwave. No stove involved.) And I eat it a LOT. I have some of the roast chicken kind right now, but I much prefer shrimp.
Cheetos (the puffy kind, not those odd shaped not-puffy ones, ew.) and pretzels. Lots and lots of pretzels! The small kind. :]
I haven't had tea in... months. Not because there isn't any, there's always tea in my house. I just forget about it. But you people have got me craving it now, thanks a lot.
And also... I'M ALLERGIC TO CHOCOLATE. It makes my throat close up and of course, I choke. But that doesn't stop me![/COLOR]

[quote name='The13thMan'][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]
For the record....eff tony the tiger. He gets kids addicted to frosted flakes, which everybody knows is the gateway cereal. It starts out all fun and games and then next thing you know you're passed out in some inner city alley with empty boxes of Count Chocula littered all about. Just say no!

[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Purple"]Haha. True, true. But I have a thing about Fruity Pebbles and Froot Loops. Dry, with milk, it doesn't matter. I must have them![/COLOR]

[SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Magenta"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]lol late night snacks are the bomb. i always find myself shoving fruits and cereal down my throat. at least its better than eating a pizza XD but occasionally i give into my ice cream cravings =) [/FONT]:animeswea[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE]

• 6 months later...
I Normally Tend To Snack Around 2:30 in the Morning... And I Usually snack on a sammich composed of 2 Pieces of Bread, A Pile of Roast Beef, 2 Pieces each of Swiss and American Cheese, And A Couple pieces of Crispy Bacon. (And Mustard, Can't Forget the Mustard.)

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I don't snack late at night, but I do tend to snack on fruit, pop-tarts, chips, and basically anything I don't have to cook. It's funny because I usually snack on this stuff after dinner. I'm full, it's just I have the taste for it.[/COLOR]

My snackage time ranges from 12:15 to 5:47 in the morning. And I eat anything...mostly unused tissues. It is [I][B]so[/B][/I] nerve wrecking when I get hungry and have to sneak around the first floor of my house. Luckily, I know how to navigate around the many squeaky areas and how to open and close a fridge silently. As does almost every 13 year old, I'm sure. Sometimes it's chips, sometimes it's chocolate. But as I stated before, when I'm to lazy to leave my room, I get my tissue box and snack on the soft, easy to tear goodness.:animesmil Yes, you may call me various and nasty names now...

[quote name='chibi-master'] [B]Luckily, I know how to navigate around the many[/B] [B]squeaky areas and how to open and close a fridge silently. As does almost every 13 year old, I'm sure[/B]. Sometimes it's chips, sometimes it's chocolate. But as I stated before, when I'm to lazy to leave my room, I get my tissue box and snack on the soft, easy to tear goodness.:animesmil Yes, you may call me various and nasty names now...[/QUOTE]
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]
And 14 year old.[/COLOR]