OtakuBoards

What are you reading?

Sabrina

I know. Because in the end, you know it describes people perfectly. And when Goodkind got into detail of how the the First Rule was applied to that village that allied with Rhal, you truly began to understand what the Rule meant.

Seriously, the First and Second rule should be in every "Best Quote" thread.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Matt']Woah, what a coincidence! I read Wizard's First Rule back in fall, and I am now also reading Stone of Tears. We must be kindred spirits. :p[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Like a good deal of musical acquisitions posted of in the Amphitheater, that little happening [I]also[/I] came at my recommendation. Unfortunately, my inadequate library has stymied me and I cannot progress farther than [I][U]Blood of the Fold[/U][/I] until the fourth book reappears, so [COLOR=Indigo]Indi[/COLOR] will probably surpass me very shortly.

For the record, the Mord-Sith become extraordinarily entertaining in [I][U]Blood of the Fold[/U][/I].

Right now, though, I am completing [I][U]Shadow of the Hegemon[/U][/I], which I now remember starting but doubt I finished. After that, I'm moving on to [I][U]The Bourne Identity[/U][/I], which I really need to read.[/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Allamorph;814011][FONT=Arial]Like a good deal of musical acquisitions posted of in the Amphitheater, that little happening [I]also[/I] came at my recommendation. Unfortunately, my inadequate library has stymied me and I cannot progress farther than [I][U]Blood of the Fold[/U][/I] until the fourth book reappears, so [COLOR=Indigo]Indi[/COLOR] will probably surpass me very shortly.[/FONT][/QUOTE]Allamorph! You need to get that fourth book! [I]*thwack!*[/I] As you already know I am now on [B]Blood of the Fold[/B] since I finished up [B]Stone of Tears[/B] the other night. It was every bit as good if not better than the first book, though by better I mean in the sense that he nicely picked up threads from the first book that were too pat and expanded on them. It made for a very entertaining read. [quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]For the record, the Mord-Sith become extraordinarily entertaining in [I][U]Blood of the Fold[/U][/I'].[/FONT][/quote]I was just noticing that. Seriously though... if you don't find the fourth book, who am I going to discuss it with? If only you were here, I'd make you read my copy! lol[/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Currently reading [b]The Invisible Man[/b] by one of of the fathers of science fiction, H.G. Wells (second only to Jules Verne). I've never seen any of the Invisible Man movies so it's nice not knowing what's going to happen. It's also my very first Wells book.

I love the way he writes. It has a very mysterious and intriguing style to it that just draws you in from the get go.

The actual story is really neat. It's about a young scientist who discovers the key to invisibility using himself as a guinea pig and the destructive path he leaves behind trying to reverse the effects.

There's one part in the third chapter that I really loved. This takes place while the "stranger" (the invisible man) is residing in a sort of motel room attempting to create an antidote.

[quote=H.G. Wells; The Invisible Man][pindent=2]All the afternoon he worked with the door locked and, as Mrs. Hall testifies, for the most part in silence. But once there was a concussion and a sound of bottles ringing together as though the table had been hit, and the smash of a bottle flung violently down, and then a rapid pacing athwart the room. Fearing ?something was the matter,? she went to the door and listened, not caring to knock.[/pindent]
[pindent=2]?I can?t go on,? he was raving. ?I can?t go on. Three hundred thousand, four hundred thousand! The huge multitude! Cheated! All my life it may take me! Patience! Patience indeed! Fool and liar!"[/pindent]
[pindent=2]There was a noise of hobnails on the bricks in the bar, and Mrs. Hall very reluctantly had to leave the rest of his soliloquy. When she returned the room was silent again, save for the faint crepitation of his chair and the occasional clink of a bottle. It was all over. The stranger had resumed work.[/pindent][/quote][/COLOR][/FONT]

[size=1]I'm really reading much of anything right now, and that's a bit of a shame. When I do read things, I get really engrossed and I sit and read for hours at a time and I really enjoy it. Must be something I get from my mother.

So, maybe it's a little off topic (but whatever), but maybe somebody could give me some suggestions on something to read. I'm really partial to anything that has maybe Vampires, magic or some kind of fantasy setting. Never hurts to have a little horror/scares in there either![/size]

[quote name='Andrew'][size=1]I'm really reading much of anything right now, and that's a bit of a shame. When I do read things, I get really engrossed and I sit and read for hours at a time and I really enjoy it. Must be something I get from my mother.

So, maybe it's a little off topic (but whatever), but maybe somebody could give me some suggestions on something to read. I'm really partial to anything that has maybe Vampires, magic or some kind of fantasy setting. Never hurts to have a little horror/scares in there either![/size][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue][size=1]

If you want really superb modern fantasy, go with [b]American Gods[/b] by Neil Gaiman as I just read.

Anyways, I just finished reading the graphic novel [b]Wanted[/b] by Mark Millar. It's a FANTASTIC comic and self contained. The new movie coming out is very loosely based on the original comic. I loved it. It puts a whole new spin on comic book supervillains. Its good stuff.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Andrew][size=1']So, maybe it's a little off topic (but whatever), but maybe somebody could give me some suggestions on something to read. I'm really partial to anything that has maybe Vampires, magic or some kind of fantasy setting. Never hurts to have a little horror/scares in there either![/size][/quote]
[FONT=Arial][I][U]The Dresden Files[/U][/I], by Jim Butcher, is my gut reaction to that statement. Bram Stoker's [I][U]Dracula[/U][/I] is also a good read, and very well-designed. I'm not too partial to the whole garlic/wafer deal, but Stoker [I]did[/I] research the Carpathian wampyre lore to write the novel so I suppose deference is due.

Also, check out Kelley Armstrong and tell me what you think. I'm still undecided whether or not to give her a spin.[/FONT]

[quote name='Andrew'][size=1]I'm really partial to anything that has maybe Vampires, magic or some kind of fantasy setting. Never hurts to have a little horror/scares in there either![/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][b]Darklost[/b] and [b]Time Of Feasting.[/b]

Both are rather adult, both make Anne Rice look like a schoolgirl. A rank beginner. A poseur. You'll thank me later.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=trebuchet ms] I've decided to work my way through the Modern Library's 100 Best Novels, mostly because I didn't like [i]Time[/i]'s list.

I thought [i]The Things They Carried[/i] was on the list, so I read it (it wasn't on the list when I checked after I finished), but it was still a great read. Tim 'O Brien has the writing style I enjoy, and he writes very well. There were some scenes in the book that just implant themselves in your brain and you can't ever forget them.[/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] I've decided to work my way through the Modern Library's 100 Best Novels, mostly because I didn't like [i]Time[/i]'s list.

I thought [i]The Things They Carried[/i] was on the list, so I read it (it wasn't on the list when I checked after I finished), but it was still a great read. Tim 'O Brien has the writing style I enjoy, and he writes very well. There were some scenes in the book that just implant themselves in your brain and you can't ever forget them.[/font][/QUOTE]

[Font=Arial]I had to read this for AP Lang last summer, and it was my favorite book out of the whole set (which may not be saying much, because I also had to read a Thoreau essay, [I]On Writing[/I] by Stephen King, [I]Into the Wild[/I] by Jon Krakauer, and this piece of crap [I]A Lesson Before Dying[/I] by I don't even know who. Ugh)

Right now I'm reading [I]The Painted Bird[/I] by Jerzy Kosinski for AP Lit next school year. I'm only on the fifth chapter so far, but there have been some hella intense scenes already. I'm sure I'll end up liking this book.

I'm also reading [I]How to Read Literature Like a Professor[/I] by Thomas C. Foster, but that has taken a backseat to [I]The Painted Bird[/I] for want of an actual story.

[quote name='Andrew][size=1']So, maybe it's a little off topic (but whatever), but maybe somebody could give me some suggestions on something to read. I'm really partial to anything that has maybe Vampires, magic or some kind of fantasy setting. Never hurts to have a little horror/scares in there either![/size][/quote]

The only vampire book I've ever read that impressed me with its beyond decency and uniquity was [I]Vamped[/I] by David Sosnowski. It has an honestly original plot that is very character driven and well-written, and a heartwarming ending (which you may not be looking for, but I adored its sweetness).
[/font]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]There's something ironic about reading a vampire book because of the heartwarming ending.

Let's see, now that I'm home I can re read all of those classic children's books my siblings are reading. Right now it's [b]On The Shores Of Silver Lake[/b] by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I recommend the series to anyone who somehow skipped it somewhere in their childhood. Her straightforward and forthright style of writing is refreshing and encouraging.

There's hope for you yet.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Clurr'][Font=Arial]I had to read this for AP Lang last summer, and it was my favorite book out of the whole set (which may not be saying much, because I also had to read a Thoreau essay, [I]On Writing[/I] by Stephen King, [I]Into the Wild[/I] by Jon Krakauer, and this piece of crap [I]A Lesson Before Dying[/I] by I don't even know who. Ugh)
[/font][/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] Brings back memories. I sort of miss summer reading, but at the same time I was never assigned anything bad. Except maybe [i]Heart of Darkness[/i]. :twitch:

I just finished [i]The Good Earth[/i]. I guess I was just expecting more, but it was a good read. But I wasn't struck by it or anything, other than how [spoiler]much of an ass Wang Lung was to his wife. -__-[/spoiler]

I bought [i]A Clockwork Orange[/i] about 4 years ago and I still haven't touched it, so I guess that's the next one for me to read.[/font]

[COLOR="Indigo"]I have finished [B]Blood of the Fold[/B] by Terry Goodkind so I am now reading [B]Temple of the Winds[/B]. So far this author continues to be an excellent read. The thing I have liked best about each and every book so far is how so much is put into building up to the final 200 pages or so where everything gets wrapped up. It honestly makes closing the book and coming back later to finish it kind of hard. Each time when I've reached that point, I've kept reading until I was done. Heh.[/COLOR]

[color=royalblue][size=1]

I just went to Books-A-Million today for the super sweet sale they were having and picked up three books. First, which I have finished already, is the second volume [b]Battle Royale: Ultimate Edition[/b] hardcover manga. Good stuff, unfortunately I thought it was the first, so now I have to buy that one and then the third.

Now I'm working my way through a very interesting book (atleast to me) by Sam Sheridan called [b]A Fighter's Heart[/b]. It is non-fiction and semi-autobiographical. It covers the reporter's experiences in the world of professional fighting (i.e. Muay Thai kickboxing, Mixed Martial Arts, etc) as he experiences it first hand. Where I am right now, which is the beginning, he has just left his job as a Yacht hand (he spent time in the Merchant Navy) and has left to Thailand, where he has enrolled in the Fairtex training center in Bangkok.

I also picked up a small philosophy book from Shambhala (my favorite eastern philosophy publishing company) called [b]"The Sacred Path of the Warrior"[/b]. Its by a mediation master and teacher named Chogyam Trungpa. It details the paths taken by the eastern warrior's of the past and the philosophical guidelines they live their lives by. Good stuff, need to start on it soon[/color][/size]

[FONT=Arial]Currently in the second section of [I][U]The Bourne Identity[/U][/I]. Robert Ludlum is a master of the descriptive play; I swear I could not [I]stop[/I] seeing things while reading. And his head-play with Bourne is very intriguing, and something I'll be paying attention to for future reference.

Next up is [I][U]Idlewild[/U][/I] by Nick Sagan, concerning an online university whose students are essentially "ghosts" as defined by Ghost in the Shell, and the protagonist's attempts to work through the amnesia brought on by an energy surge to the system.[/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"]I had time to spare today to do as I wished so I have already finished [B]Temple of the Winds[/B]. I kept putting it down and yet a short while I'd pick it back up to read again because I wanted to know what happened. So now that I finished that book I will be reading the next book in The Sword of Truth series by Goodkind. [B]Soul of the Fire[/B]. [/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]In preparation for the movie coming out this summer of the same name, I'm reading [b]Journey to the Center of the Earth[/b] by Jules Verne. I wanted to pick this up a while ago but my library didn't have it which was extremely disheartening. But the other day my dad surprised me with my very own copy. :)

The first few chapters are so interesting. It starts off by introducing two of the characters via a book one of them finds almost right away (and the way it plays out is just amazing, Verne was a genius). In this book they find a parchment with runic characters on it (which are shown) and as you read through the next chapter or two, the secrets to deciphering the code are slowly revealed.

I haven't read much past that, but I'm excited to go to bed tonight (which is the only time I read). [/COLOR][/FONT]

I'm reading book 13 in the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series...yay owls! By the way, I'm going to have only scattered posts for a while. My laptop's internet connection isn't working and I'm so desperate that I'm using my dad's laptop at the moment...clunky piece o' junk!:animecry:

EDIT: Good news! My laptop's internet connection is working again! WOO~HOO!!!

Right now I'm reading [U]Dracula[/U] by Bram Stoker. I haven't had to time to read it in the past but now I do. I have read about 8 chapters so far and it has been split in to various characters points of view. This gives to me the idea of how everyone is introduced on there own terms except Dracula who you see so far only in others points of view. After Dracula I plan to read [U]Day of the Dead[/U] by J.A. Jance.

I bought an assload of books off Amazon recently, so I'll be popping back in here every once in a while.

Right now I am reading [b]Seven Seconds or Less[/b] by Jack McCallum. The author spent an entire season with the 2005-06 Phoenix Suns team and documented his experiences. It's pretty fun so far, but I'm hoping it will get a bit deeper soon (I'm about 50 pages in at the moment). Recommended if you're a fan of the NBA.

Okay, Indi talks about the series so damn much that I'm starting [B]Wizard's First Rule[/B]. I just hope it doesn't make me regret it since I understand the author does get real and rather graphic at times. I will say that so far it is rather interesting, though I'm less than a hundred pages in, so we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...
[CENTER][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]I'm currently reading [U]The Andromeda Strain[/U] by Michael Crichton. It's actually really good, but there's a lot of words that confuse me, so I'm spending half the time looking them up on Microsoft Word's dictionary.[/FONT][/CENTER]

[quote name='Lady Aura'][CENTER][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]I'm currently reading [U]The Andromeda Strain[/U] by Michael Crichton. It's actually really good, but there's a lot of words that confuse me, so I'm spending half the time looking them up on Microsoft Word's dictionary.[/FONT][/CENTER][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]And down that road lie the paths of wisdom child...

Seriously, people will mock you for reading a dictionary but how else will you pick up the true meaning of words?

I'm currently slogging through the unabridged version of "The Princess Bride" by S. Morgenstern. And by slogging I mean you know how the movie is relatively quick? This book is full of long boring asides and has so many parentheses, I can see why everyone prefers the completely abridged version. 1000 pages vs. 300?[/FONT][/COLOR]