OtakuBoards

Has a game ever made you cry?

Udon

I have honestly became teary eyed when playing a game and weirdly it was Elite Beat Agents for the DS. The story behind one mission was that this [spoiler]little girls daddy died before x-mas, so you (the elite beat agents) must encourage this little girl and the mom to move on. One of the scenes was when the 2 were cleaning up the dads study and they found his diary. When they picked it up a picture dropped out having both the mom and the little girl in it, showing that he always thought about them. So this went on for about 3 more scenes till the dads ghost came home before x-mas and they all had a big hug (that was the past that made me sad). Oh, and the song that was playing with it was "Your the inspiration" by Chicago which was the perfect song for it.[/spoiler]

So, Has a game ever made you cry/teary eyed?

If so, what game and what part?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]Quick Note here, if you want to give away game events, please put them in spoiler tags. Just for those of us who haven't played the game yet ^_~

I don't know about crying, but a game has made me go "Awww mann, why?" at those really sad moments.

For instance, in [B]Legend of Dragoon[/B], [spoiler] When Lavitz dies after the second battle with Fruegel at Hellena Prison. Right after you get the "Gust of Wind Dance" Addition and all the nifty things....he drops dead. Sucks to start with all that hard work. But then you get Albert and everything is gravy.[/spoiler][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Since it is unbecoming of a man to cry, I have not cried at a videogame. Nor movie, book, death in the family. Crying is for sissies.

Anyway, like Korey, I have given one of those; 'Awww, maaaaaaan.' to a video game.

When R-Type Final ended, I felt distraught and disheartened. But then I pressed reset and everything was gravy.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='silpheedpilot'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Since it is unbecoming of a man to cry, I have not cried at a videogame. Nor movie, book, death in the family. Crying is for sissies.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Times New Roman"]Agreed. Death in the family is another issue though.

I've never cried when it came to games. It's bad enough I'm slow when it comes to catching the storyline of a game, let alone, know why someone died.

The most that games, anime, movies got from me is a "that's messed up" comment.[/FONT]

[COLOR=#503F86]I almost did with [B]Okami[/B]. [spoiler]It actually takes a little more explaining than this because it's quite an involved plot, but right in the heart of the last battle you're stripped of all your powers. This tiny guy called Issun who had been travelling around with you for the entire game but couldn't enter the final chambers is running around the world, painting thousands of drawings of you to restore people's faith in you and they all start recounting the things you've done for them throughout the game, and their praise restores your powers and helps you completely kick this monster's face into oblivion.[/spoiler] It's incredibly moving/inspiring.

It perhaps didn't help that I bought the soundtrack before completing the game and fell in love with a piece of music near the end. I didn't realise that was going to start up on the reprise of the final battle, heh ^_^;[/COLOR]

First person to mention Aeris dying in FFVII gets pointed at and laughed at for being a big metrosexual baby.

Anyways, I don't cry because like mentioned it's a proven fact that real men don't cry. However, one specific time I've given an "awww man, why?" reaction to was when [spoiler]Mareg died in Grandia II[/spoiler], but then Millenia's boobs come back on the screen and everything is gravy.

One game that made me into tears, not crying, was FFVII with the part where [spoiler] Aeris got pierce and died.[/spoiler] Soon after I got angry and then a few weeks depress afterward. I know it was embaressing for me during that time. Other then video game, another that made me into tears was this one Korean drama I was watching and it was sad from this one scene where the main girl tell about the sad event. It was only that one scene where it made me into tears.

[font= franklin gothic medium][color=indigo] Blitz Kid, remember to put spoiler tags around game events, to not give them away. Although this is probably common knowledge, some people haven't played FF7 yet and might not want to know this yet. the BB tag for spoiler tags is (spoiler) (/spoiler) but with brackets replacing the parenthesis.

~Korey [/color][/font]

[quote name='silpheedpilot'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Since it is unbecoming of a man to cry, I have not cried at a videogame. Nor movie, book, death in the family. Crying is for sissies.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I just dare you to call him a sissy Joe.

[CENTER][IMG]http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/8179/350662-big_boss_salute_super.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

All kidding aside I've rarely gotten overly emotional over videogames. The only one that comes to mind is [spoiler]the ending for MGS3 where Big Boss is at Boss's graveside having learned the truth about the whole incident.[/spoiler] Great score at that point did make me choke up a little.[/SIZE]

Has a game made me cry? Not really. And being a guy has nothing to do with it. =P It's just hard to get emotional over a character that doesn't exist. I have had ones where I'm thinking... jeez, why did you have to kill [I]them[/I] off? But that's about it.

Oh and Gavin does make a point, a really good score for scenes will make you choke a little, or can. But only because it's surprising (at least to me) when they do have something really good, music wise, for those moments.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Oh and Gavin does make a point, a really good score for scenes will make you choke a little, or can. But only because it's surprising (at least to me) when they do have something really good, music wise, for those moments.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Well if a great piece of music is needed at any point in a game, significant character deaths are probably the most important. But yes it can be surprising just how much a good piece can generate an emotional response you didn't expect. I always considered [spoiler]MGS3[/spoiler] to be more of an interactable movie rather than a game due to how involved you felt with the characters.[/SIZE]

[FONT="Arial"]I can't say that a game has ever made me cry. Some deaths are a bit more moving than others but that's about it. There are some things a guy will cry over (death in the family being one) but a video game? I don't see it happening anytime soon. I do agree with the sentiment that sometimes you do go... why did you kill him/her?[/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]I gotta say, I find the "I don't cry over them because they're not real" excuse rather silly. I understand the reasoning, but a fictional character can be just as endearing and evoke at your emotions as anything else. And it's not just video games, either -- it can apply to anime, TV, movies, books, anything that has a fictional story. [Now, if you spent hours on end crying and wailing about the character's death and don't want to live without them, THEN there might be a problem...]

That said, no video game in recent memory has made me cry. DEFINITELY choke up, though. And I will say this, in Tales of the Abyss, if you hate a certain character, no matter who it is...by the end of the game, you WILL feel bad for them. This happened to me with [spoiler]Luke and Asch. I hated them both, but dang, I felt so bad for them, it isn't even funny. And having Mirrors play during their final scenes together didn't help, either...[/spoiler]
[/SIZE]

[quote name='Sangome'][SIZE="1"]I understand the reasoning, but a fictional character can be just as endearing and evoke at your emotions as anything else.
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]My emotions? No. See, I don't think it can, considering fictional characters have never been as endearing to me as a flesh and blood person (or animal, for that matter).

Perhaps for other people, it can, but the "not real" factor is definitely legitimate.[/color]

[quote name='Sangome'][SIZE="1"]And I will say this, in Tales of the Abyss, if you hate a certain character, no matter who it is...by the end of the game, you WILL feel bad for them. This happened to me with [spoiler]Luke and Asch. I hated them both, but dang, I felt so bad for them, it isn't even funny. And having Mirrors play during their final scenes together didn't help, either...[/spoiler]
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
To say you "WILL" feel bad for them... Hmm... So would that make me heartless to want to see him kick the bucket and not feel sorry/bad for them? XD [spoiler]Asch, okay. I liked Asch, but LUKE.... [strike]F[/strike] err.. No, all the trash he said about... what're they again? (LOL) Clones.. err.. REPLICAS (there we go). Replicas shouldn't exist once they are already born or whatever. No I wanted him to die.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]My emotions? No. See, I don't think it can, considering fictional characters have never been as endearing to me as a flesh and blood person (or animal, for that matter).

Perhaps for other people, it can, but the "not real" factor is definitely legitimate.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Perhaps I should have added "your mileage may vary" . . .[/SIZE]

[quote name='Magus'] [spoiler] Replicas shouldn't exist once they are already born or whatever. No I wanted him to die.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Touche.[/size]

[quote name='Sangome][SIZE="1"]I gotta say, I find the "I don't cry over them because they're not real" excuse rather silly. I understand the reasoning, but a fictional character can be just as endearing and evoke at your emotions as anything else. And it's not just video games, either -- it can apply to anime, TV, movies, books, anything that has a fictional story. [Now, if you spent hours on end crying and wailing about the character's death and don't want to live without them, THEN there might be a problem...'][/SIZE][/quote]There is nothing silly about it. It's hard for me to feel attached to a fictional character dying. Probably because I know what it feels like to watch someone I care about suffer when they lost someone they cared about.

I may be moved by it in the game, show or whatever. I might laugh at the funny things they say. But when they die, so far, not one of them has [I]ever[/I] been memorable enough to actually make me cry.

If I'm going to actually cry, it will probably be over real death, not over a game. I know it's going to vary for different people, but for me, I can't forget that they don't exist.

I believe the reason we're seeing a difference in opinion here lies with the tried (but still true) statement that women are just more emotional and sentimental than men.
Although I have never cried from any fictional scene, I can easily see why someone would, so I don't find the reasoning silly.

... actually, wait, I [i]did[/i] cry at the end of Escaflowne. And there's been numerous choke-ups besides that.

Anyway, getting back on topic, the one time I always come damn close to crying in a video game is in .hack//G.U. Redemption when [spoiler]Shino comes back and the FMV starts with "You Smiled Kindly" playing and then she tells Haseo, "Blah blah blah, be honest." For some reason, I always choke up at the moment she breathes in/sighs (not sure how to define that right now). Gets me every time.[/spoiler]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Miss Anonymous']Although I have never cried from any fictional scene, I can easily see why someone would, so I don't find the reasoning silly. [/quote]I usually don't either. I say usually because more real life stories will choke me up where a game won't. I can see why others would. But I simply do not choke up over video games. Sometimes I'll be what others said and go...why'd you have to kill off that character, but that's all.

I could be jaded in the sense that I've lost someone close to me. I was right there when they died. Games are fun and all, but the sheer raw pain and emotions from the real deal only serves to remind me that characters in a game or any other medium, aren't real. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"][quote name='Sangome][SIZE="1"']How about we just say "people react differently to things" and call it a day? :animesmil[/SIZE][/quote]The only problem with that is people are just stating what they think, based on the thread's topic. So if we call it a day, it makes the thread redundant doesn't it? Also, people have been saying... it will vary for others so... [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]Actually if we said that we have different opinions and call it a day, it'd make almost any discussion thread in the [strike]Love Shack[/strike] Lounge pointless.

So thread stays open to those to have yet to voice their opinion. We may have more campers join our little sewing circle.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Tahoma"]Hmmm, nope. I haven't cried during a game or gotten teary eyed. I usually get mad when they kill off someone I like. >_> Other people it's kind of a meh, they died or this happened, so what... etc. Though I don't play games very often and therefore don't have a lot to look back at. So I'm sure that doesn't help. [/FONT][/COLOR]