OtakuBoards

All you smokers out there!

xxxscenekidxxx

Man, less than 3 dollars? Where I live you can't get anything for less than $5.50. (and that's for the cheapest ciggarettes you can find...)

I don't think the actual original price that has gone up, but the fact that the government raised the sin tax on it a buttload to make more money.

I don't know about where you're from, but here in Atlanta, the price for a pack of cancers is predicted to be up to atleast ten bucks by July!

Being only a weekend smoker, I plan to cut it out by then, if not sooner. Its a nasty habit anyway..

[quote name='xxxscenekidxxx'] it wont make people quit it just forces us to pay more... [/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Of the smokers I know (a dozen or so), about half of them have quit because of this.

While I'd hardly suggest that this represents a trend, it stands to reason that these half-dozen people are not the only ones quitting because of the price hike.

It also stands to reason that the price increase isn't going to convince anybody to start smoking if they aren't currently a smoker. That'd be crazy.

So I'd say it's definitely giong to reduce the number of smokers, even if that reduction is going to be small.[/color]

[size=1]Smoke rollies. Everyone's happy! At least I am.

If I have the money I buy real cigs. Marbolo Light or something, but otherwise I go for cheap rollies and they last a lot longer. The downside for awhile was I couldn't roll very quick but now it's easy and I actually prefer them. Also, tobacco is easier to rob from my dad or brother; they'll notice a few cigs missing, but a few cigs worth of Drum and they'll never know.[/size]

Spare a thought (or a penny) for smokers in London...$8.70 for a 20 pack according to google's conversion!

The price of packs has gone up over here but I haven't noticed any change for rolling baccy. Shisha and all the other fine smokables don't seem to have been affected either.

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]The tax doesn't affect shisha as far as I know, so. . .

. . . my red hookah and I are open for business if you are in the San Antonio area.[/color][/QUOTE]

Hmm...

Be there in seven hours with a full case of beers that will somehow magically only have three in it by the time I get there.

[spoiler]I will bring assortments of chips as well.[/spoiler]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Verdana"]For a pack of Newport or Natural American's I see anywhere from $5-6 bucks. For a pack of Djarum I'm shelling out like $7. Then again, it doesn't matter much to me because I'm not a heavy smoker, but a random one, as in, if I get the chance I will... or I won't... it's random! See?

But tobacco for our Hookah, that's a different story. It's been the same since I can remember. And that stuff lasts. :D Never tire of it.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Well I'm not a smoker so it doesn't affect me monetarily, but what does sort've agrevate me (at least in the states) is that they're raising these taxes so much.

Which I guess I can't totally pin if they're trying to make people quit, or they think that only a small number will quit and that they will still make more money in taxes.

Either way, America was founded with Tobacco being its "cash crop". So it's kind've saddening to see them start to drive people out, plus it is a choice and as long as I don't have to be in any enclosed buildings that people smoke in I don't mind at all.

Not that I'm worried about second hand smoke killing me, it's more because the fact that I'm not a smoker makes the smell of smoke unappealing to me.

So raising the tax a little is inevitable, but they're running away with it...

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']Either way, America was founded with Tobacco being its "cash crop". So it's kind've saddening to see them start to drive people out,[/quote] I don't know whether to make a joke about slavery, bizarre economic nostalgia, or bringing back tricorn hats. D:

[quote name='xxxscenekidxxx']it wont make people quit it just forces us to pay more... [/quote]Sure it will. It may not be a lot, but people will quit. Like Nerdsy, a number of the smokers I know have quit because of the increase in prices.

What I find ironic about it is if food and other expenses hadn't gone up as well in the past few years, the increase for smoking wouldn't have been such a big deal for some of my friends. But between all of it, they had to cut back somewhere.

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]The tax doesn't affect shisha as far as I know, so. . .

. . . my red hookah and I are open for business if you are in the San Antonio area.[/color][/QUOTE]
[font=Arial]DK's the man. I'm seriously thinking about investing in a hookah for next year...

As for price increases, cigarettes in NYC are hovering around $9 per pack. I'm pretty sure it's all due to New York State vice taxes, as well as a very aggressive anti-smoking campaign. Honestly, it's a great way to raise revenue in tough times while simultaneously increasing "public health." I'm not sure I agree with it, but what can you do?[/font]

$14 in Australia for a pack of Winfields in the 25s.

I remember when you could buy the same pack for $9.90.

People are going to keep smoking though, and tobacco companies are going to keep making money. It's not going to go away, no matter how many "quit smoking" ads they want to put on tv.

If I remember correctly, there was a statement released that showed Oklahoma was the only state in the U.S. that saw an increase in smokers after 2007. All the rest went down...

But I wonder how much that's actually changed since the tax increase...

I'm not worried about it. The increase brought my brand up to 6.10, but the store clerk flirts with me and gives them to me for the old price of 5.75. (I don't complain, and he'll probably get in trouble, but it's not my problem) Of course 6.10 still isn't [I]that[/I] bad...

I usually have enough money, and if I don't, I just smoke less until my check comes in. However, I will quit if they ever go above 7.00. That's where I draw the line. Gotta have your principles...

Yeah

well i live in oklahoma... in a very small town... everyone here drinks and smokes on the weekends... it is a very agricultural town and most of us are poor... the most famious brand of cigs here is grands, they were about a dollar for a 20 pac when morbros were around 4... as much as we party that is about all we can afford... becouse we usualy will go through nearly 3 pacs each... :animesigh

[color=royalblue][size=1]

I'm not a huge fan of smoking, but I do use Skoal and Snus from time to time, very infrequently, so it being slightly more expensive isn't an enormous concern for me, being that I'm such an infrequent user. I might buy one tin and it'll last me like a week or two. It's a terrible and digusting habit (dipping I mean, smoker's don't bother me) so I try to keep it in check.

After dipping, smoking just doesn't do it for me, and I don't like the ash-taste it leaves in my mouth.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Zen'][color=royalblue][size=1]

I'm not a huge fan of smoking, but I do use Skoal and Snus from time to time, very infrequently, so it being slightly more expensive isn't an enormous concern for me, being that I'm such an infrequent user. I might buy one tin and it'll last me like a week or two. It's a terrible and digusting habit (dipping I mean, smoker's don't bother me) so I try to keep it in check.

After dipping, smoking just doesn't do it for me, and I don't like the ash-taste it leaves in my mouth.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

snus... i have heard oth tht... someone sed tht it taste like gum n u can swallow it, ive yet to try it myself tho ;)

[quote name='xxxscenekidxxx']snus... i have heard oth tht... someone sed tht it taste like gum n u can swallow it, ive yet to try it myself tho ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes and yes, though after about a half-hour (the recommended usage time on the back of the tin) it begins to get that tobacco flavor and it gives you that weird feeling in your throat like normal dip spit, so yeah. After that I recommend either spitting or taking it out and getting a new pouch.

The pouches are really small, so I dip two at a time like I do with Skoal.[/color][/size]

Yes and yes, though after about a half-hour (the recommended usage time on the back of the tin) it begins to get that tobacco flavor and it gives you that weird feeling in your throat like normal dip spit, so yeah. After that I recommend either spitting or taking it out and getting a new pouch.

The puches are really small, so I dip two at a time like I do with Skoal.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

lol its kinda funny, my freind had some of that today so i tryed it n i rele like it :animesmil its awesome that you dont have to spit so you can do it in class... i think ill do this from now on lol :p :p :p

[quote name='xxxscenekidxxx']lol its kinda funny, my freind had some of that today so i tryed it n i rele like it :animesmil its awesome that you dont have to spit so you can do it in class... i think ill do this from now on lol :p :p :p[/QUOTE]

Hurray for starting new habits! High five for being a bad influence![/color][/size]

Hurray for starting new habits! High five for being a bad influence![/color][/size][/QUOTE][FONT="century gothic"][size=1]Aha, man I must be the queen for that. But ya, don't really know what to say, I smoke on occasion I won't lie. Especially when I get hella stressed out. I tend to get Camel 9 cigs, I don't like cheap ciggs anyways. I either get those or the girly flavored kind that have like sparkles on them. Yes you heard me sparkles! So ya....don't smoke if you can stop it. It does put a dent in your pocket.

Oh...and drugs are bad. Hooka is better. [/size][/FONT]

Hurray for starting new habits! High five for being a bad influence![/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]*high five*[/SIZE]

[quote name='Pumpkin'][FONT="century gothic"][size=1]

Oh...and drugs are bad. Hooka is better. [/size][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Hookah is much better indeed! I love a nice bowl and some music to just relax with. :D

I love Snus, but I've also gotten to quite like Camel's Orbs and their Crush.

Orbs are satisfying for those lazy chewers who dislike spitting, or in the case of Snus, discarding your pouch. lol. And Crush is a nice Camel with the oh-so-satisfying taste of Menthol. :D:D

Bad, bad influences. Indeed![/SIZE]