OtakuBoards

St. Patrick's Day, everybody!

chibi-master

So who here is Irish? Is there anything you guys do specially for St. Patrick's Day? Who's gonna wear green? Who's so scary that if they don't wear green they won't get pinched?

Oh yeah... MOAR HOLYDAYZ PLZ

[QUOTE= Holiday Website]1 National Pig Day

1 Peanut Butter Lovers' Day

2 Old Stuff Day

3 I Want You to be Happy Day

3 If Pets Had Thumbs Day

3 National Anthem Day

3 Peach Blossom Day

4 Holy Experiment Day

4 Hug a GI Day

5 Employee Appreciation Day first Friday in March

5 Multiple Personality Day

5 National Salesperson Day - first Friday in the month

6 Dentist's Day

6 National Frozen Food Day

7 National Crown Roast of Pork Day

8 Be Nasty Day

8 International (Working) Women's Day

9 Panic Day

10 Middle Name Pride Day

11 Johnny Appleseed Day

11 Worship of Tools Day - guys, you can relate

12 Girl Scouts Day

12 Plant a Flower Day

13 Ear Muff Day

13 Jewel Day

14 Learn about Butterflies Day

14 National Potato Chip Day

14 National Pi Day- Why today? Because today is 3.14, the value of Pi.

15 Everything You Think is Wrong Day

15 Ides of March

15 Incredible Kid Day

15 Dumbstruck Day

16 Everything You Do is Right Day

16 Freedom of Information Day

17 Submarine Day - the hero sandwich or the boat??

17 Saint Patrick's Day

18 Goddess of Fertility Day

18 Supreme Sacrifice Day

19 Poultry Day

20 International Earth Day

20 Extraterrestrial Abductions Day

20 National Quilting Day - third Saturday of month

20 Proposal Day

21 Fragrance Day

22 National Goof Off Day

23 National Chip and Dip Day

23 Near Miss Day

24 National Chocolate Covered Raisin Day

25 Pecan Day

25 Waffle Day

26 Make Up Your Own Holiday Day

27 National "Joe" Day

28 Something on a Stick Day

29 National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day

29 Smoke and Mirrors Day

30 National Doctor's Day

30 I am in Control Day

30 Take a Walk in the Park Day

31 Bunsen Burner Day

31 National Clam on the Half Shell Day
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Stephanie'][SIZE=1]Oh, and in honor of our one and only Irish Man Gavin, I will be changing my banner and avatar to something blindingly green. :)[/SIZE][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Yay? :animeswea

I admit I am always a little perplexed by the fascination that has developed around the day, more so those with absolutely no Irish connections (and no, your housemate's third cousin's ex-girlfriend's grandfather does not practically make you Irish) being so enthused by it.

Also congratulations on your upcoming 2,000th post Steph.
[/SIZE]

[quote name='Stephanie'][SIZE=1]Oh, and in honor of our one and only Irish Man Gavin, I will be changing my banner and avatar to something blindingly green. :)[/SIZE][/quote]
awwww... i love your banner! whenever i see it my thoughts blank and i hear da da daaah da dada dah da da da daa

but for my st patrick's day... i will probably forget whatever i did, but it will be awesome when i do it!

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]I admit I am always a little perplexed by the fascination that has developed around the day, more so those with absolutely no Irish connections (and no, your housemate's third cousin's ex-girlfriend's grandfather does not practically make you Irish) being so enthused by it.
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

As someone who is labeled plastic at family events for being the only member not born & raised in eire, same here!

[quote name='Gavin][SIZE=1']I admit I am always a little perplexed by the fascination that has developed around the day, more so those with absolutely no Irish connections (and no, your housemate's third cousin's ex-girlfriend's grandfather does not practically make you Irish) being so enthused by it.[/SIZE][/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]Over here stateside, the majority of the population is completely subconsciously paranoid about not belonging anywhere or to anything or with anyone, and so any little excuse they can drum up to identify with or to "belong" is jumped at headlong with both feet.

That and Americans like to get drunk. Don't much care what they're drinking, really, provided they get drunk.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]Over here stateside, the majority of the population is completely subconsciously paranoid about not belonging anywhere or to anything or with anyone, and so any little excuse they can drum up to identify with or to "belong" is jumped at headlong with both feet.

That and Americans like to get drunk. Don't much care what they're drinking, really, provided they get drunk.[/FONT][/QUOTE][font=secret font!][size=3]Alla nailed it.[/size][/font]

he is right... but i agree mostly with the latter... i have no real Irish traits, so i don't try and pretend i am... really most white people are so mixed up you might as well just stick with American, i do.

I really just thought the holiday was all about eating corned beef and cabbage and drinking till you suddenly wake up in the morning next to a toilet seat. It really doesn't apply to me at all since i am neither religious or Irish, but i will find my way to a bathroom like many other Americans.

[quote name='CaNz']i have no real Irish traits, so i don't try and pretend i am... really most white people are so mixed up you might as well just stick with American, i do.[/QUOTE][FONT="Georgia"]If you think about it, emphasizing your (historical) immigrant heritage, wearing green, and getting sloshed for St. Patrick's Day is a proud American tradition.

People sometimes claim America doesn't have a culture, but we totally do. We just look for it in all the wrong places.[/FONT]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4] I'm taking my daughter to the 30th annual parade downtown Saturday with our without the friends. Then on the actual day my house will smell like eternal fart from the cabbage. I believe that's actually how St. Patrick got the snakes out of Ireland, he gassed them with boiled Cabbage.[/color]

[COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][CENTER]Cied me fiel!
And no I can't spell correctly in Gaelic.[/CENTER][/B][/size][/font][/COLOR]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I already celebrated with a SHAMROCK SHAKE.
That's all St Patrick's Day means to me, since I don't like drinking very often and I'm under the age limit.
But now I'm really craving corned beef and cabbage...
[/FONT]

[quote name='noixzx'][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I already celebrated with a SHAMROCK SHAKE.
That's all St Patrick's Day means to me, since I don't like drinking very often and I'm under the age limit.
But now I'm really craving corned beef and cabbage...
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]I LOVE those things! I just had one this morning/afternoon I split it with my daughter.

One of my cousins found an application on Facebook that will tell you which McDonald's resturaunts in your area are serving the shakes. So far I know of 3. Oh sweet minty goodness, how I love thee. Just not too much because I totally killed my knee running in the zoo.[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]Yay? :animeswea

[B]I admit I am always a little perplexed by the fascination that has developed around the day, more so those with absolutely no Irish connections (and no, your housemate's third cousin's ex-girlfriend's grandfather does not practically make you Irish) being so enthused by it.[/B]

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]EDIT! I cannot believe I skipped the first page last night: Gavin, you and I (Along with all of the Irish and up to 1/2 Irish people in this world) both know that the reason people are so obsessed with St. Patrick's day and being Irish is because there are only two types of people in this world and they are: [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]The Irish and everyone else who wishes they were Irish. [/B][/COLOR]

So I guess for one day we can allow their dreams to come true... you know out of benevolence and stuff.[/color][/font][/size]

About a year ago, I decided I should stop celebrating St. Patrick's day. This is because I heard he sought to convert the pagans living in Ireland to Christianity, and as a pagan myself, I feel betrayed. However, I don't think I can fight the urge to celebrate anyway, even if I won't convert. Now that I'm 21 I can legally drink, so this becomes even more tempting.

And I'm 1/8 Irish, in case you were wondering--and that's the ethnicity of mine I'm the most proud of, in fact, even if it's a very small part.

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]I'm 1/2 Irish and 1/2 First Nation (American Indian) I believe the reason that St. Patrick's day is so widely celebrated here in the states is because of how we (the Irish) were treated when we first came over to this country in the mid 1800's.

Many Irish Americans' ancestors escaped from Ireland with nothing or close to it. They faced a lot of prejudices and adversity in their home country as well. Then when they came to the States they faced more prejudices because they spoke Gaelic or heavily accented English and many- especially from the southern part of the country- were Catholic which lead to more distrust. There were laws against the Irish and NINA signs which stood for No Irish Need Apply and signs that said Dogs and Irish not allowed. If you ever wonder why the stereotypical policeman or fireman is Irish it's because those were the only jobs many Irish men could find.

I believe that today celebrating St Patrick's day isn't just about celebrating a saint- it's about celebrating Irish culture and heritage and our history and being proud to be Irish.[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]I'm 1/2 Irish and 1/2 First Nation (American Indian) I believe the reason that St. Patrick's day is so widely celebrated here in the states is because of how we (the Irish) were treated when we first came over to this country in the mid 1800's.

Many Irish Americans' ancestors escaped from Ireland with nothing or close to it. They faced a lot of prejudices and adversity in their home country as well. Then when they came to the States they faced more prejudices because they spoke Gaelic or heavily accented English and many- especially from the southern part of the country- were Catholic which lead to more distrust. There were laws against the Irish and NINA signs which stood for No Irish Need Apply and signs that said Dogs and Irish not allowed. If you ever wonder why the stereotypical policeman or fireman is Irish it's because those were the only jobs many Irish men could find.

I believe that today celebrating St Patrick's day isn't just about celebrating a saint- it's about celebrating Irish culture and heritage and our history and being proud to be Irish.[/color][/font][/size][/QUOTE]

I thought it was about the booze.:confused: I think some of the only people who realize what the Irish went through are the Irish themselves. I don't think we celebrate it as an apology to an entire group of people. I have sympathy for the Irish, but they weren't the only ones to go through bad things because of where they were from, so why should they have their own "We're sorry for how we treated you!" holiday?

I don't mean to sound as rude as I think this seems, but I'm tired of every person I meet nowadays tossing their ancestors' sad tales at me.:animesigh

[quote name='chibi-master']I thought it was about the booze.:confused: I think some of the only people who realize what the Irish went through are the Irish themselves. I don't think we celebrate it as an apology to an entire group of people. I have sympathy for the Irish, but they weren't the only ones to go through bad things because of where they were from, so why should they have their own "We're sorry for how we treated you!" holiday?

I don't mean to sound as rude as I think this seems, but I'm tired of every person I meet nowadays tossing their ancestors' sad tales at me.:animesigh[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]I meant it as to why some Irish celebrate it- not everyone else. But the whole oppressed thing- I got told by one of my residents at the Jewish assisted living home that the Jews and the Irish have a lot in common so Nya.

But yeah- the day is also for some people- like my 1/8 Irish brother-in-law to go down to the coast and drink a case of Guiness and not get his butt whipped. At least not by other people. The Guiness though, I wish I could see what it does.

Actually though, my ancestors weren't too bad off- my mama's great great grandma was paid passage over to America because she worked in some rich lady';s kitchen and they wanted her to get a better life. My other grandma's relatives came over from Alsaice Lorrain in the 1860's. I don't know about my grandfathers' families. In truth I think my papa had the worst time of it growing up in the depression.[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='chibi-master']I thought it was about the booze.:confused: I think some of the only people who realize what the Irish went through are the Irish themselves. I don't think we celebrate it as an apology to an entire group of people. I have sympathy for the Irish, but they weren't the only ones to go through bad things because of where they were from, so why should they have their own "We're sorry for how we treated you!" holiday?[/QUOTE][FONT="Georgia"]I think you're closer to the heart of the matter here.[/FONT]