OtakuBoards

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US?! D:

Korey

[color="#C0C0C0"][font="Lucida Console"]Hello folks!

In an effort to continue making OB better, we need to hear from our members. What would you like to see from Otakuboards in the future? New skins? Features? Make your voices heard here.

I'm still waiting for a green skin for OB. Or the return of a Geisha-like one. Also, some more fonts would be sweet.

[/font][/color]

[quote name='Desbreko' timestamp='1318051236' post='709832']
[color="#4B0082"]I want the Caramelldansen skin back too, but not enough to make another one.[/color]
[/quote]
[color="#0000ff"]I think this is the key to all skin-related requests right now unfortunately. It's not that we don't want more skins or the return of some of our old favorites or even that we're lazy. The issue is that this software's templating system and layout as a whole are radically different from vBulletin's so it's not just a matter of copy and paste. Couple that with the next version of the software changing their layout completely yet again and you have more than enough reason to not devote time or resources to developing a skin that will need to be reworked from the ground up soon after anyway.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko' timestamp='1318051236' post='709832']
[color=#4B0082]I want the Caramelldansen skin back too, but not enough to make another one.[/color]
[/quote]

[color="#4B0082"][font="Arial"]How about different color choices like how we have that Orange and this basic with blue? I know I'd like one that had Indigo for the color choice instead of the blue. Surely just having different color choices would be easier and less of a fuss to do.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Horendithas' timestamp='1318103004' post='709841']
[color="#4B0082"][font="Arial"]How about different color choices like how we have that Orange and this basic with blue? I know I'd like one that had Indigo for the color choice instead of the blue. Surely just having different color choices would be easier and less of a fuss to do.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
[color="#0000ff"]Unfortunately not so since a lot of what colors the site is image-based. Simpler than an entire skin, maybe a tad, but again, with the layout drastically changing with the next software upgrade, our ability to work on skins is rather limited right now. Trust me though, new skins are certainly on our list and they will happen once we work out how we're going to handle the next upgrade.[/color]

I would like something of a post-based reward system, in the form of member titles and such. My favourite moment ever on OB was the day I reached post 250 or something and I was allowed to change my avatar, back in 2002. :<

[quote name='Desbreko' timestamp='1318231869' post='709856']
[color=#4B0082]Actually, for OB XL Basic, I'm pretty sure the blue color is entirely editable through CSS. I've just been lazy and forgetful about making different colored versions.[/color][/quote]
[font="Arial"]
[color="#4B0082"]Well if it's fairly easy to implement I'd be interested. If it is more complicated like Petie is talking about then blue will just have to do until it becomes a more viable option to have different versions.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Horendithas' timestamp='1318253681' post='709861']
[font="Arial"][color="#4B0082"]Well if it's fairly easy to implement I'd be interested. If it is more complicated like Petie is talking about then blue will just have to do until it becomes a more viable option to have different versions.[/color][/font]
[/quote]
[color="#0000ff"]I think he's right. I've been using the orange skin for so long that I entirely forgot about the other. I'll look into recoloring it and if it's easy enough, maybe throw a few different colors up. If you had any ideas in mind for colors, feel free to share (hex values are especially nice).[/color]

[kuja]The old one was pretty stagnant and I got the OK from James before I posted it :P

Anywhos, would it be somehow possible to make custom post styles for everyone? Like, instead of me having to drag down fonts, then sizes, then colors...etc. Like, I'd make my custom post style in my profile and it just automatically picks said items for me to post. Kinda like this Kuja one I've stolen.[/kuja]

[quote name='Petie' timestamp='1318265583' post='709863']
[color="#0000ff"]I think he's right. I've been using the orange skin for so long that I entirely forgot about the other. I'll look into recoloring it and if it's easy enough, maybe throw a few different colors up. If you had any ideas in mind for colors, feel free to share (hex values are especially nice).[/color]
[/quote]
[color="#4B0082"][font="Arial"]There's only one I really want and that is Indigo. Here's the number for it. #4B0082[/font][/color]

• 1 month later...
It isn't a huge deal or anything, but I have noticed a lot of bot/link spammers in the last couple of months. I honestly can't remember how difficult it was to sign up for OB, but perhaps it was a bit too lenient. I forget if there is a captcha or a random question, but maybe you could do more creative things instead, since whatever we have isn't working. I think if you could somehow stop new users from posting new threads on their first day, it might solve a lot of the problems. It also might stop people from doing lame introduction threads that then need to be transferred by you guys to the introduction thread. If you could disable any links from new members that might also work, but I have no idea how to go about doing that.

[color="#0000ff"]I've been looking into the bot issue. I think part of the problem is that we're running outdated software right now. There is a discussion in place about upgrading but we're working out some issues with skins not being compatible with the new version. As far as stopping the bots goes though, the software is currently set up to do everything it can (there's a reCAPTCHA form as well as a question/answer pair). Unfortunately, short of disabling registrations, there's not much we can do besides delete and ban as they come up for now.[/color]

[color="#0000ff"]Also, I had entirely forgotten about adding some new skins. Sorry about that! At this point, I think it would be best to wait until after the upgrade but I'll definitely keep it on the list and try to get a few simple color swaps out soon after.[/color]

• 4 months later...
[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]There's one at the bottom of the forums â?? or any page, actually â?? in the footer.[/color][/quote]

[FONT=Calibri]You mean way the frick at the bottom? Who looks down there ever? I had virtually the same discussion with [COLOR=DarkRed]James[/COLOR] about the link to TheOtaku last year or the year before, haha. Yes, it's there, but how in the [I]world[/I] is anyone going to notice it?

Especially when each individual forum has a nice, convenient [B]Mark Forum Read[/B] button right beside the [B]New Thread[/B] button. Silliness, I tell you.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Yeah yeah yeah. Lazy-ass. =P

On a totally different note, I notice that the calendar dates for last-post-made data is in military date format. This amuses and pleases me.

Well. I mean it's the same order. Same format would mean, like, 05MAR12. But close enough.[/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Well i thik this site is pretty great so far :) Although this may be unrelated to the topic, I think the otaku should add a better navigation system for reading the fan comics. I feel that the one at present isnt very smooth. Maybe a 'click' on the page to turn it feature would be great. Kind of like how online manga reading sites have. :laugh: :biggrin: [/font]