OtakuBoards

Zone of the Enders

Hittokiri Zero

Anyone play this game besides me? it was one ofthe first games for the PS2 yet it is still (in my mind) one of the best games for the PS2, the graphics, and mecha designs are some of hte most original and inspired that i have ever seen in the mech genere (to some exent they pass even those of Xenogears!) . The battle system/control are easy to learn and provide for so much fast paced mecha fun, although the variety of weapons is some what lacking, it doesn't really matter because it just forces you to master your basic weapons, and become a master in the art of piloting your Orbital Frame "Jehuty" :rolleyes: .

I really love every aspect of this game, the cut scences and the music are great, okay well maybe theres a few small things i dont like =P, one of them being as stated before the lack of variaety/usefulness of weapons, most of the game is somewhat easy because of the constant metatron ore available (metatron ore heals Jehuty.) Moving around the 'world map' also could've been done a tad better. Blah then theres the voice acting it's decent, and same thing with the story, there both right above the average mark, but ZOE still doesn't have one of the more memobrable storylines such as Zelda a Link to the Past, or Super Metroid, but what more can you ask from the makers of metal gear solid 2? (Konami).

ZOE has revolutionized mech games everywhere, despite it's obvious flaws it is definatly worth the buy.

(BTW the sequel "Zone of the Enders 2nd runner" is coming out some time this year so your not gonna want to miss that, everything that was "bad" in the original ZOE has been worked up to perfection, or so they say :rolleyes: .)

I dont know, I would say I have to I disagree with your praises of this game.

I believe the game is much more on the side of o.k. rather than great.

I think the game lacked in the game play area. True, it was fast paced and interesting. It can also mezmorize you with its graphics. Yet for some reason, the game grew old to me very quickly and besides the amazing mech action that is involved, there wasnt much to help keep me from regreting my purchase.

Its a great looking game and it plays alright, but if I could take my purchase back and get something else... I would.

The only good thing to this game was its frantic action between mechs. I dont think Ive played a game that caught the essence of mech fighting the way this game did. Although, I still dont think it was all that great.

I also wanna mention that this thread has been done before, infact, I started one that sounded much like what you did in the above right after I bought the game.
So... keep an eye out for somebody to close this sucker. It just might happen. Although I dont want that cause I hate closings, plus its good to have atleast one thread for every game.

First off yeh as you probably guessed I had no idea there was another thread like this so sorry bough that ^_^".

But I am a big mech fan so my reviews towards Mech games do tend to be a little biased. Yeh true the replay value isn't the highest, but as for taking back your money and getting another game if you think about it that's somewhat irrelevant, if you consider the fact ZOE was one of the first games for the PS2 =\. But so far from what i've seen and read, ZOE 2 is supposed to have a much better story line, and hopefully the replay value will be better =o. But all in all you have to atleast admit ZOE has one of the most original battle systems for a 3rd person mech game.

Well i agree with both gokents and Hittokiri Zero. ZOE is an awesome game! And yet it does lack something, the storyline was over in a pinch, that kind of left me a little depressed but when i found out a sequel was coming out i practically jumped out of my chair. Oh wait.. I did. lol. Anyways i really did like the game. Especially the music for the main menu screen the creators just knew how to make it sound cool and yet creepy at the same time.

I loved the game as well. However It ended too quickly and there wernt that many badies. Not bad considering I didn't have to pay for it

ZOE is a decent game. Its certainly in a league all its own but its flaws really hurt this game. While the fighting was good, thats all that is was. Graphics were nice too, but aside you own mech and that red one, neith I think it was, there's nothing else. It was also damn short. I had NES games that lasted longer than this game. ZOE 2 is looking great so far and I posted any information I found. Yet its still unkown if the length of the game as well as the story has been fixed. I for one hope so :-/

[font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue]I really liked Z.O.E.

Despite being short and having not-so-good storytelling, the gameplay is fast, easy and enjoyable. I believe that what Kojima wanted to make out of Zone of the Enders didn't come out as planned, which is why I'm hoping that Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner becomes the true excellent game it was originally meant to be.

I saw the trailer on the GamePro DVD, and it looks great![/color][/font]

The action in ZOE was fine I guess, but comparing the few mech designs to Xenogears is just plain blasphemous. I hope in ZOE2 they let you reach a higher level than 8, and have more subweapons that aren't so useless. I've never gotten past that blasted part in the game where you get infected and have 1 hit left. I go to the right...area but I can't find any bozo entrance to the place I have to go, so I stopped playing. I lost interest anyway, heh mostly cause I was stuck for a long time tho.

I could've helped you wit that man. All you had to do is go to Factory2 and the enterance to the big building in the middle is towards the far right on the bottom. Just be ready to fight a Level 1 Raptor in there. But that shouldn't be too hard.

Anyway, I did hear that the subweapons play a more important role in the game so we shouldn't worry too much about that.

I just now went to see what kind of money I could get from a shop on a trade in specifically to buy another game. Do you know how much Z.O.E. with the demo disc in perfect condition is worth in credit?

3 bucks.

That low of a value may have saved this game from being a waste.

I was gonna ditch it, but with that kind of lame return, I may as well keep it and give it another try.

So... it looks like Z.O.E. is getting a second chase from me. I'll be back with another view once I have played the game some more.

[color=#507AAC]ZOE could potentially make a good anime or something. And ZOE 2 could be groundbreaking.

But the first game...I dunno.

The mech designs were [i]very[/i] similar to Tekkaman. Strangely similar. So I'm not very convinced of Konami's originality.

However, the designs were great anyway. The combat was wonderful and the controls were so smooth and fun to use. I got very bored with the game though -- the levels were incredibly boring and there were very few kinds of enemies.

The bosses, however, were wonderful. Some of the best I've seen.

I hope ZOE 2 addresses level design, enemy variation and objective variation issues. If that happens, it could really become a true blockbuster game.[/color]

• 4 weeks later...
I really like ZOE it is really fun to play. Most people bought it just for the Metal Gear Solid II demo disc. I bought it because i wanted to play ZOE, the demo was just an extra bonus!!! Overall the Game is A classic. I cant wait for ZOE 2 to come out, the screen shots i've seen are amazing!

Regards
Blade:naughty:

I just got my hands on the ZOE2 demo.... Wow.... this game is gonna rule... Time to give a "hands-on" report well I'm free for the time being...

It seems all the problems from the first game have all been resolved in this second outing. The graphics of this game is BEAUTIFUL. I kid you not, the videos and pictures you have seen do not give justice to how well this game looks while it runs. Sparks fly with every contact you make with the enemy, explosions, warped air caused by weapons, it has it all. The cell shading is a brilliant move as they work well to bring out the details of the orbitial frames, even froma distance.

The gameplay is pretty much the same engine used in the first but much better. Better as in they are more responsive and help make your attacks more fluent. Action is faster and thankfully the new camera/lock on system works well and keeps up. Combat isn't always confined to tight areas like in the last game and you don't have to worry about near by buildings anymore. Also, the ability to grab enemies/objects is fun as hell. I swear I was able to do a certain attack at the moment I needed to do it. In one area I was being overtaken by the the enemy. I had to wipe out a good number of them at once so I just grabed a steel beam and wacked a good number of enemies in one swing (Sammy Sosa got nothing against me :D ) Once I was done swinging it around I threw it like a javelin at the remaining target and moved on. As for types of targets you come across, the raptors and mummy heads from the first are back with old and new tricks to show off. 2 new types as well, one unamaned fighter which are weak but always seem to attack in swams. Another is a spider type of mech. It didn't seem to do much except stick to the wall for a second, jump around to avoid your laser attacks and shoot back. The boss designs are awesome the first 2 especially. However I found it too easy. Why? It's probably because I quickly remembered how to play this game from the first since the crontrols haven't been changed, or the demo difficulty was set at easy when compared to the complete version.

Lastly sound. Its one of those times I wish I had a mean sound system to support this. Unfortunatally I'm stuck with a single speaker TV set. Still though the sound effects and music were good. Great if I had a decent system. The effects go perfect with what goes on like the explosions and the music set the current situation. Now I part I had always feared... the voice acting. I shook my head in disappointment on how bad this sounded. So much great stuff about this game and this is where I gets hurt. While the actual voices aren't bad, the tone they have at any point doesn't work. You'd assume that if you meet someone you hadn't seen on a long time that they will act surprized or shocked with their voice volume a bit raised. In this though, that is not the case. The actors just read what they have to say on the script as if they were dead. The only exception I'll make is for your combat computer aid ADA. Thats about the only "character" the works fine.

Anyway, after the second boss battle, the demo ended right at an important point in the story :cry: Again, the game seems to address all the problems of the first, except the voice acting of course. There might be one other flaw with the game though... If the action gets too intense, which happened alot in this short demo, there was slowdown... alot of it. I say might because it was a demo and didn't have the full battle engine programed into it. I doubt there will be any though in the final product since fast pace action is the core of this game. I'm not gonna go into the story pretty much because I still don't know whats going on yet. The demo only stared to gather it in the last 5 minutes or so of the demo. Stay tuned for the March release for further details.

Zero out...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Musahi
Damnit, I feel like the odd man out here. Yes, I love the game but I still have not completed it. x.x I am stuck where you have to find the raptor suit. I have gone through every level again and killed every enemy. I just can't find the damn thing. :p

So far I love the game though, it's simply amazing. The graphics are wonderfull and the gameplay is fun. There isn't much more a game needs.

• 2 months later...
Guest Musahi
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Axel--Ignition [/i]
[B]James, there is an anime about it. I heard about it last year in Animerica. I don't know anything about it, but it is coming to U.S. really soon. Also, I think that ZOE: The Second Runner is based on the anime, I remember seeing Dingo before. [/B][/QUOTE]

They have been releasing DVDs over the past few months. It's been here for a while now. I own Zone of the Enders: Idolo too.

• 2 weeks later...
Sadly the none of the ZOE games follow the anime. The anime series of ZOE deals with an entirely different Orbital Frame and piolet.

But there is one exception, the short anime movie: ZOE Idolo is some what of a prequal to the first game. It reveals Viola's past, 10 years before the Antillia raid.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GunMetal [/i]
[B]Damnit, I feel like the odd man out here. Yes, I love the game but I still have not completed it. x.x I am stuck where you have to find the raptor suit. I have gone through every level again and killed every enemy. I just can't find the damn thing. :p[/B][/QUOTE]

It's in Town 2, right by the Sniper item box. There's also a crashed LEV near it.

As for Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner, it's certainly a much better game. It's a lot harder, too (The fight against Anubis in compressed space (oarnge warp thing) is particularly intense), but in a good way.
I do need some help, though. I've collected a bunch of EX Mission files (it says 92% unlocked when I load the EX Mission save file), but I only have like 5 more optinos then when I first unlocked the EX Missions after beating the game once(It said 50% unlocked when I did so). Does anyone know why?
Edit: Never mind. I figured it out(I wasn't looking hard enough)

Guest visser 3
I liked this game a lot but the bad thing was that you could only go up to level 8. Other than that I thought it was awsome.