OtakuBoards

When an obsession goes too far.

Phantom

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in 5th grade there where Crazy Bones. I'm not sure how popular they got elsewhere but at my school they were a MAJOR hit! People had like 3 cases filled with the things. My brother and I loved them too. Then we grew out of them by the end of the school year. Actually I still have mine, somewhere.

Poke'mon cards where another craze. My brother was pretty obsessed with them, he was about 11. I never got into them. He had them all in his 3 hige binders, all organized. Then one day he let his friend borrow them and he never saw them again. Needless to say after that incedent he wasn't into it anymore.

I'm currently obessed with Anime, Drawing and The Mummy & The Mummy Returns. Its pretty bad.. Well in a good way in my opinion. I know exactly how many times I've seen eaxh Mummy movie and I own a load of stuff from the movie. I also own alot of Anime items.
Thats all I can think of at the momment.

[font=gothic][color=crimson]Most of my experiences have been with the kind of obsession Semjaza mentioned. I'm in the middle of one of those right now.... I'm just not complaining all that much.

Anyway.... Offhand, probably the Tea Party, and fantasy of any kind, are my only obsessions. Raven doesn't count. Raven's not an obsession, she's my symbiote.[/font][/color]

EEEEEEEEEEEEe!!!!! CrazyBones were scaring the crap outta me, SaiyanPrincess! Everywhere I looked were these scary....head....things....um, yeah. I only played one game and I never played again, but my friends were obsessed. They would fight over how they should get to reroll because the figure bounced off a tree or something.
My obsession is DRAWING. I'm so obsessed, I've wasted about 10 packs of notebook paper, literally. I can't post anything cuz I don't have a scanner... A new obsession is Evangelion. I only heard about it and I heard it was good, but my friend would scream over how horrible it was and she would kill if I ever watched it. ^^ But it's really good, now that I've seen the show. And Kaworu...........::drools:: I used to be obsessed with Trowa for GW (he's still cute...), and now both my friends is obsessed with Quatre. They kinda abandoned him for a little when I said He was always paired up with Trowa in GW fics. Mmmmmm, yaoi... ::looks around nervously::

I guess my obsessions generally lie somewhere within an anime, or have something to do with one. I had some Zoids years and years ago, but I remember being very disappointed that I couldn't actually play with them (they kept falling apart and breaking and wouldn't actually walk anywhere without falling over every five seconds). Then, this summer, they had the Zoids anime series on SkyOne. Now, I have eight of the darn things, all bought within the space of a few months. And I have all three Chaotic Century soundtracks. The music's my main obsession. It could almost be classed as an addiction- I take them everywhere, even if I don't listen to them.

Plus, there's my ongoing obsession with Digimon, and I still half-expect to see a real one someday, and I've no idea why- it's a silly concept, but still one I'd like to achieve/see.

I've always had an expensive obsession with toys which I still haven't rid myself of (and at the moment I don't really want to- I love them lots), and it's getting too far in that I can't actually see my bedroom floor now, let alone walk on it.

Someone I know had a dangerous obsession with my best friend (they were each other's exes) which threatened to pull him and his current girlfriend apart. I won't go into it, but he almost committed suicide because of her. I don't think anyone should become that obsessed, or unbalanced, as Semjaza described (Eek, by the way. I hope things clear up soon). But good, healthy obsessions are okay. If you can call an obsession healthy, that is. They'll all tend to come at some kind of cost, either to yourself or others.

I have never really had an obsession with anything really. My sister gets really obsessed though. She is one year older than me, and any anime that I develop an interest in she begins to obsess over. i.e. when DBZ was first shown on Cheez TV in oz, I taped it for a couple of episodes cause I though it was madaz, and at first she said it was crap, then silly, then okay then decent, then pretty good and then she was in love with it. If she sees magazines of any kind that have references about it or other shows she likes, she will buy them, and she is also a very analy retentive person, so it becomes extremely painful to bear her. lol.

The closest I have come to obsession is my love for a girl right now who I am friends wit. Then the worst thing happened. She moved away. *my heart breaks* I'm pretty damn depressed right now.:( I miss her soooooooooooooooo much :'(

i obsess over a lot of things like right now i'm obsessed with hp, luigis mansion(gamecube), butter finger and peanut butter cups(ne kind), anime,angels, and of course neopets......

the worst case of obssesion of seen except mine was a freidn of mine was obssesed with hello kitty and everything she owned had hello kitty on it it was nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and i have a freind who is obssesed with butterflies........
and another obsessed with sparring and drawing anime*cough*siren*cough*

and many more my freinds are pathetic when it comes to obsessing...but then again so am i:)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MistressRoxie [/i]
[B][color=#9933ff]

Here is my current list of Bishi boys:

Ken Ichijouji (Digimon 02)
Quatre Rebera Winner (Gundam Wing)
Raven (Zoids Chaotic Century)
Li Showron (Card Captor Sakura)
Squal Leonheart (Final Fantasy VIII)
Takuya Kanbara (Digimon Frontier)
Matt Ishida (Digimon 02)
Kouichi Minamoto (Digimon Frontier)
Seto Kaiba (Yu-Gi-Oh)
Ryo Akiyama (Digimon Tamers)
Mitsuo Yamaki (Digimon Tamers)
Yami (Yu-Gi-Oh)
Osamu Ichijouji (Digimon 02)
Duo Maxwell (Gundam Wing)
Eriol Hiragizawa (Card Captor Sakura)[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I like those people too. Li , Squall, Seto, YAMI!! :blush: I need to get out more...

Yup, I got into the whole Neopets craze as well in 5th grade. Whoever heard of virtual pets anyway? Hm...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mystic's Knight [/i]
[B]When does an obsession become a scary situation?

Heh, Ive seen it so many times, a simple meek obsession over one small thing, cute at first, taken to from one extreme to the next until it is like walking through hell and back. At least for those non-obsessors.

Anyway, the most recent one, I've seen was the Inuyasha flu that swept my lil sis.

"Inuyasha is so sexy..I want Inuyasha!!!"

That, at first was sorta cute, not..anymore. Sorta brings chills down my spine now.

When an obsession goes bad. Anyone else have something to share? lol. [/B][/QUOTE]

I've had a friend like that too...0_o

She was in love with some guy from DBZ, I think it was Vegeta. She talked to the pictures. She kissed the pictures. Thank god she is off that. That was so scary.

And I went (or kind of am) still going through a Yu Yu Hakusho obsession. I went through an Inuyasha on recently where I was in love with Inuyasha and I still kind of am. Now it's on Yusuke from YYH. It's not like what happened with your little sister, but my parents don't like my anime obsessions at all.

And guess what else? The same friend is going through the same yyh obsession with me as well.

She tells me she thinks that her anime pictures are watching her. She thinks that he's real and that she's going to find him someday.

0_o

Now someone tell me that's NOT strange.

It would be cool and all if Yusuke and the rest of the cool anime characters were real, but that's never going to happen. Some people just take it to the extreme.

To us Leggy lovers:

Hey, at least he's a real guy. Cartoons are cool, but you have a better chance of going out with Orlando Bloom then you do with Yusuke Urameshi.
Get my drift?

[COLOR=green]The only obsessions I've ever had are LEGOLAS! ARAGORN! TASUKI! WOLVES! LEGOLAS! ARAGORN! TASUKI! WOLVES! LEGOLAS! etc....I think you get the picture......LEGOLAS! ARAGORN! TASUKI! WOLVES! LEGOLAS! *goes on ranting that chant for another hour or so while hugging plushies of Legolas, Aragorn, Tasuki, and a wolf* [/COLOR] :D

I've had my share of experience with obsessions. Gah, the whole list would take hours. But I'm currently obsessed with Cowboy Bebop, namely *cough*Spike*cough*. Several others are Digimon, Inuyasha, Vivi from FFIX, Red from FFVII, and, when I was younger, Pokemon. Yes, I'm weird. But I'm probably not as weird as my cousin. One mention of Matt from Digimon and she goes bonkers. It's plain scary.

My obsessions list is probably way too long, but here goes...

Raven from Zoids Zero/Zoids Chaotic Century, Ken Ichijouji from Digimon 02, anything pink, Cowboy Bebop, .hack//SIGN (I haven't even seen this yet, but Tsukasa is cute), Inu-Yasha (the anime, not the character), anything Yu-Gi-Oh, Serial Experiments Lain, Shoujo Kakumei Utena, the Anne of Green Gables books, plushies of any kind, Boogiepop Phantom, and so many other things that relate to anime in some way that it's not even funny...

When I was little, about 3 or 4, my mom told me I used to kill frogs for fun.
She told me this recently when she saw a huge slimy toad on our front porch.
And she told me that I have some mental disease for doing that.
I mean, c'mon, I was like 4.
Like I even had the slightest idea that squishing a frog was bad or whatever.
I guess it was fun, but she doesn't have to make such a big deal about it.....she does mean things too, so I guess we're even.

• 3 weeks later...
Deedlit, I can relate to what you said above,I have an obsession with Legolas too. Legolas is sooooooo cute!!!! Deedkit, just remember, Brandi is obsessed with Josh and Clay!! I admit I like both of them, but i'm not obsessed.(*_*)L/O/L.

My 2 brothers have obsessions that have lasted for about 4 years.

the oldest brother has the "checking" thing....he spends all day in his bedroom making everything perfect, lining everything up, making sure his closet is all neat and tidy....it looks like one of those display rooms you see out the front of gift shops.

marbles....my younger brother has this huge box in his room full of them. And once a month he cleans every single one of them....

I feel like I live in weird family.

my obsessions..kinda scary o_O;; well i obsess over random things, like i obsess of Lain and Rei cuz they meh fav anime girls, and for guys..inuyasha sorta I suspose..I really havent had too much of an obsession..but i think obsessions can be good for ya ^_^;';

[color=royal blue]I'm just glad that I'm not the only one whose...ahem..."obsessions" change over time.

Weird list of the years:
Land Before Time
Beetlejuice
Dinosaurs
*mind fuzzes a little--bad memory*
ReBoot--Bob, 'specially
Yup, had my Pokémon phase, too.
Sephiroth (FF7)!
Lord of the Rings/Hobbit--I admired Gandalf for the longest time, still do, sorta.
Fflewdur Fflam from the [i]Black Cauldron[/i] series. Kudos if you've read the books.
Clopin from [i]Hunchback of Notre Dame[/i] fame.
Legend of Zelda games themselves--HAD to have them. Still do.
ANYTHING video game-ish. I have a bad habit of buying anything that looks good.
When I get hooked on a show, I OBSESS about it. (Digimon, Gargoyles, etc.)
You could say I'm obsessed with my religion at times. :toothy:
Ken Ichijouji
Beelzemon
Auron!
Auron again
And again. *grin*
Puck! <----most recent one at the moment.

Ask my buddies, they're bound to remember more of them.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GinnyLyn [/i]
[B][color=royal blue]Ask my buddies, they're bound to remember more of them.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE] [SIZE=1]::quietly declines::

I've thought about this, and I really can't bring myself to say I'm obsessed about anything. Even in jest.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sara [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]::quietly declines::

I've thought about this, and I really can't bring myself to say I'm obsessed about anything. Even in jest.[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

Really? What about that navel of yours? The way you've been picking at it one would have thought there was an endless supply of lint.... ;)

uhhmmmm, naval lint.

Everyone knows thats what sara loves to play with... Uh yea, that was a joke.

On topic of an obsession going too far, I would say I dont really have any obsessions.

I think its best to not allow yourself to become obsessed, that way you never have the inheraint problems that come with obsessions.

Also, EVERY human being is obsessed with trying to impress someone, whether it be a physical attraction or someone just trying to show off. Everyone wants to attract and please the opposite sex (or if you're NOT straight, the other way around...><)
That's how humans have always been.
That's why we always want to look our best, or hurt someone's feelings to make ourselves feel better (dirty scum).
That's just human nature.

Guest vegeta_lover
hey, how does everyone get those pictures and banners and stuff?
do you really like all of those shows cause so do I!
and do you really know Japanese?