OtakuBoards

Does Nintendo really know what we want?

hiachi

I mean there are lots of examples of when we ask for something but they give us something else......Heres a good example:

Poke'Mon, it was the coolest virtual pet/RPG game on the market. Gamers thought, (after N64 was released) that Nintendo could make the franchise better by making a Poke'Mon World game, which would be on the N64; in otherwords, a real 3D game but still the great fun virtual pet RPG game we know and love.......Instead the do a ol' 180 and give us Poke'Mon Stadium.....yes it [i]was[/i] 3D, but it wasnt quite what we wanted.......so we keep asking....and we get Poke'Mon Snap......well it has the poke'mon in their habitats, but its still not quite what we've been asking for. We ask them again, "Please give us a true Poke'Mon game thats also 3D", and we get tadada: "Poke'Mon Stadium 2"......what are they thinking?! We ask one more time, really i think its out of sarcasm cause we know what we'll probably get........and we get "Hey You Pikachu!" well that one........they got the virtual pet part right, but wheres the rpg?! Man, i wish i could see more sequels and not spinoffs, or at least no spinoffs in expense of sequels, like mario got spinoffs, golf, tennis, party, kart, but they still gave us a sequel, Super Mario Sunshine.......

I just wanted to let my feelings out......:nervous:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Bouncer
when they mad snap and hey you pikachu and pookemon puzzle league is why Pokemon sales starthed to decline and people started to hate it. and thats why theyre pokemons struggling to comeback, but it slowly coming back.

[color=#808080]Take a look at the sales of Pokemon Stadium. Nintendo did give gamers what they wanted.

As for an all-new Pokemon game in 3D...keep your eye on the upcoming Pokemon game for GameCube. It will be unveiled at E3 and will most likely be a fully-3D RPG.

We asked for more mature games and what do we get? Metroid Prime, Resident Evil, Product Number 03, Killer 7, Eternal Darkness; the list goes on.

I think Nintendo are aware of what fans want. Super Mario Sunshine was a bit of a "black sheep" in the Mario family...but it was still a wonderful game. Nintendo are already making another Mario game, as well.

So yeah, I don't think you can take one example (like Pokemon) and say that Nintendo is somehow ignoring the will of gamers. Pokemon is probably Nintendo's most successful modern franchise; so in fact, the opposite is true. If people weren't getting what they wanted, Pokemon would not consistently outsell its competition.

Oh and, about the comment that Pokemon is "hated". It's worth pointing out that the two latest editions of Pokemon for GameBoy sold in excess of 1 million units within a ten day period. The idea that Pokemon is somehow less popular (or that Nintendo has made it unpopular) is an absolute myth. The sales figures prove otherwise. Of course, if you don't personally like games such as Pokemon Snap or Hey You, Pikachu!, you don't have to buy 'em. Instead, you can wait for the new GBA and GCN editions of Pokemon.[/color]

[color=#808080]Nintendo have not released any information on the Pokemon title for GameCube. Anything you hear is just speculation at this point.

There are indications that Nintendo is planning for a GCN-based Pokemon RPG; whether or not that is the next Pokemon title (or one for next year) is questionable. Both a traditional Pokemon game and a "Stadium" game are pretty likely candidates, and we'll probably know something by the time E3 rolls around.[/color]

[color=#808080]Well, there are two issues there.

Firstly, I don't always see IGN as a very reliable source for rumors. Making the assumption that the GCN game will be basically a Pokemon Stadium 3 is no big prediction; it's an obvious assumption to make.

Even if that's the case, there is no reason to think that it'll be a bad game. I never like to assume that something will be horrible until I play it; a new Pokemon Stadium may very well be a fully expanded game. Who knows.

Either way, if you're a traditional Pokemon fan, there is still plenty to look forward to. The latest GBA editions are just around the corner. I don't see how any traditional Pokemon fan couldn't be happy about that.[/color]

You know what........I dont own a GBA, I own everything else........but that. The only Gameboy I ever owned was the big fat clunky one. But maybe I will look into getting the SP when it comes out.

Well I was pretty disappointed with Stadium. I got it the day it was released and expected it be awesome but it was just boring battles over and over. But thats just me, the guy that doesn't own a GBA.

And I would like for Nintendo to make a 3d RPG, but after what they have done in the pas, as hiachi has mentioned. with Pokemon spinoffs, I...I just don't see it happening, but would like to be proven wrong like I say.

[color=indigo]It is still just rumors, but I've heard that Nintendo is making two Pokémon games for the GCN, one a Stadium type game and the other an RPG. Hopefully that's true.

Nintendo has done a pretty good job of giving the fans what they want, though. They have or are in the process of giving us sequels in pretty much all of their famous franchises. We're also getting more mature games, like James mentioned. And, we got not only a 3D Metroid game, which people have been asking for, but we also got a new 2D Metroid game, too. I think that's pretty dang good.

So far, I'm very happy with what Nintendo has been producing on the GCN and GBA. The N64 was a bit lacking in the number of good games, but Nintendo's first and second party games were still excellent.[/color]

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]Also, there's a pretty large variety of games. I think most gamers would like to see different games, but of a certain genre alot of people seem to enjoy. Like... Mario. ^_^;

A Poke-world game would be interesting, but for the moment, Pokemon isn't as large as it used to be. [/color] [/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Juuthena [/i]
[B][color=ff00cc] [size=1]Also, there's a pretty large variety of games. I think most gamers would like to see different games, but of a certain genre alot of people seem to enjoy. Like... Mario. ^_^;

A Poke-world game would be interesting, but for the moment, Pokemon isn't as large as it used to be. [/color] [/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#808080]Pokemon is as large, if not larger, than it's ever been before. The TV show and such may have died down, the the franchise's presence in [i]game[/i] format (and let's face it, it's primarily a game; the anime is tacked on for marketing purposes) is still incredibly popular.

As I said earlier, the sales numbers don't lie.

As far as variety...we're seeing a lot more variety on the GameCube than we ever saw on N64. Everything from Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe to Resident Evil 4 to Mario Kart and Pokemon. I don't think we've had this kind of variety in a while.

Really, I don't think most people have much to complain about. The only thing I [i]may[/i] complain about is the lack of RPGs for GameCube. But even that is less of a concern now that it used to be (when you consider that games like the "Tales" series as well as titles like Lost Kingdoms II and Harvest Moon are on the way).

It just depends what your priorities are. If you don't have a lot of money to spend, I'd recommend GCN over PS2; if you're not going to be buying many games anyway...you might as well buy a system with the industry's best (as far as certain franchises go). But if you have more money to spend regularly on games, the PS2 might be the best solution for you.

And of course, if you have even more money...get more than one system. It just depends on what your priorities are (how much you play games, how often you buy them, what type you like...etc).[/color]

Well those Capcom games and like Killer 7 and Viewtful Joe may not and I don't think are GC exclusives even tho they will probably be out on GC before any other console. Resident Evil will be a GC title cept there is that Resident Evil Online game for the PS2.

Also I don't know if its larger I mean the first Pokemon was huge, and I don't know how many copies or what the sales for it was, but I am sure Red and Blue are still higher than any other Pokemon game, maybe I am wrong, just maybe.

[color=#808080]It doesn't matter whether Red and Blue outsold the latest versions; the point is that the latest versions are continuing to sell incredibly well.

A million units in ten days is a pretty mean feat.

The "Capcom Five" are all GCN exclusives, too.[/color]

[color=#808080]The Magicbox, like IGN, is making an obvious assumption. Capcom itself said that these games are exclusive to GameCube; even if they weren't, they are designed specifically for that console. So the likelihood that they'll come out on another machine is low. Even if they do, it will probably be several months later.

And even if that were the case (though I don't believe that it is), I don't see how that really changes anything. Even if you exclude Capcom's five GCN offerings, you have a wealth of other games in development for the console across a wide spectrum of genres.

The Magicbox has made several big errors in its existence; I don't put a huge amount of credence in it. I have real issues with problematic reporting. lol

But anyway, we're talking about facts as they are -- not what they might be or what might happen in the future. If we go down that path, we could dream up all sorts of scenarios. I always think it's important to talk about facts rather than rumors. A rumor is a rumor; better to wait until the company involved actually confirms it to be true.[/color]

I know I know, I usually don't think into the future when it comes to games, because of the disappointment that may come.PS(are ther any sites that are good for gaming, that you recomend?- also this seems to be goin back and forth- just somethin that has been noticed many posts back)

[color=#808080]Well, yeah...most conversations do go back and forth. ~_^

For Nintendo related stuff, I [i]have[/i] to recommend N-Sider. I write for it; it's one of the most (if not THE most) in-depth Nintendo site you'll ever find.

The thread is simply about whether or not Nintendo knows that "we" want. We meaning Nintendo fans, I suppose. And so, when I talk about sales numbers for something like Pokemon...and when I talk about variety of franchises with things like RE and such, I'm expressing the fact that Nintendo knows its audience very well.[/color]

Well hopefully there will be a GC game out there that I can enjoy, and play for a lil while and not get disappointed like the others. I mean the 64 was awesome for me, games like Perfect Dark(up there again with one of the best) Mario 64, No Mercy, the list goes on. But right now Nintendo hasn't done anything for me that could ever equal or surpass those titles.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=#808080]Pokemon is as large, if not larger, than it's ever been before. The TV show and such may have died down, the the franchise's presence in [i]game[/i] format (and let's face it, it's primarily a game; the anime is tacked on for marketing purposes) is still incredibly popular.

As I said earlier, the sales numbers don't lie.

As far as variety...we're seeing a lot more variety on the GameCube than we ever saw on N64. Everything from Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe to Resident Evil 4 to Mario Kart and Pokemon. I don't think we've had this kind of variety in a while.

Really, I don't think most people have much to complain about. The only thing I [i]may[/i] complain about is the lack of RPGs for GameCube. But even that is less of a concern now that it used to be (when you consider that games like the "Tales" series as well as titles like Lost Kingdoms II and Harvest Moon are on the way).

It just depends what your priorities are. If you don't have a lot of money to spend, I'd recommend GCN over PS2; if you're not going to be buying many games anyway...you might as well buy a system with the industry's best (as far as certain franchises go). But if you have more money to spend regularly on games, the PS2 might be the best solution for you.

And of course, if you have even more money...get more than one system. It just depends on what your priorities are (how much you play games, how often you buy them, what type you like...etc).[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm glad the TV show, toys, underware, etc. died down. That makes the game more legitiment as a great RPG. The hype is what pissed me off, people took a great game, and made it a friggin crime almost for anyone over the age of 10 to play it. I still get made fun of for that till this day, but frankly--I don't care. Make fun of me if you want Pokemon was a good game.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]It is still just rumors, but I've heard that Nintendo is making two Pokémon games for the GCN, one a Stadium type game and the other an RPG. Hopefully that's true.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah, I heard that as well. Idealistically, both games will bring Pokemon fans what they want: Stadium-style for fans of the 64 version; and RPG style for fans of the popular GameBoy series.

As for the thread, I do think that Nintendo is giving us what we want; well, I'm getting what I want, at least. They are keeping our favorite Nintendo mascot games, and have a whole batch of exclusives that set it apart from other consoles. Nintendo has given us a great system with compact hardware (especailly that great controller ;)) and a promise of taking this system to it's extreme. Is Nintendo giving us what we want? Ask all those people who bought the system for their exclusives when they already owned a PS2.