OtakuBoards

Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Semjaza

Gah. They are hosting the AVI now too. I guess they got it from someone. At one time, I was one of like a few people that actually had it heh. I got it directly from Godshand

The funny thing is that Godshand is Don Allen... if anyone remembers who he is heh. Nintendo Nation was his site.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This thread is insanely old, but since Mario Kart: Double Dash!! will be coming out soon, I figured that conversation about the game would be picking up and this thread has some good information and screens...so why not use 'em?

Anyway, the review for Double Dash came out in the new issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly. They really seemed to like it lol. Two 10s and a 9.5, heh. Of course, it still has the standard great graphics and tight controls that we've come to expect from the Mario Kart series.

However, the whole dynamic of the series has changed with the addition of two people on each kart. Mixing and matching the characters riding the karts provides an entirely new level of strategy to the game. You can go with all light, all medium, or all heavy...or a combonation of any of the three (however, the kart you ride will always be the kart of the heavier character).

The character you choose matters more than that, too. Each character, I believe, can use items that are specific to them only, which adds even more strategy to the gameplay.

EGM also added that the LAN play was fantastic. You can use splitscreen in conjunction with LAN to get eight players on only two GameCubes and two TVs. Also, they said that you can get 16 players at once if you play in co-op mode, which sounds like a blast to play...now if only I could play LAN >_<

Anyway, I'll be sure to pick this game up when it comes out. I was previously on the fence about it but this positive review from people I trust has got me ready to spend my money on it.

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by terra [/i]
[B][sighs] All my desire for buying a GameCube just came back with full force.

Where [i]is[/i] Toad?! He better be in the game (even if I don't buy it) ... [/B][/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I've just checked out a complete listing of characters for Double Dash and Toad was not on it. Toad was one of my favorites in the last two Mario Karts but I'm more of a Bowser person, heh. But the exclusion of Toad is certainly a sad thing to hear.

[COLOR=#503F86]It's only 13 days left for the Uk now. I gather we're actually getting it before the rest of the world for a change. I could be wrong, but I'm just about to pre-order it anyway.

I really can't wait. Toad was never that much of a character for me- More often than not I'd shoot him with something in MK64 just to hear him scream... But I always preferred Yoshi myself. There wasn't much doubt that he wouldn't be in it, but I'm still glad he is. And he has Birdo with him, too ^_^

Any ideas who the secret characters might be? I was wondering if they'd be Boos of some description, seeing as they were in Mario Tennis and Golf recently.[/COLOR]

[color=#707875]Apparently Toad is a secret character.

One of our European Correspondents (at N-Sider) recently played Mario Kart for five hours at NoE's headquarters. He's going to write up impressions, but he sent us an email about it.

And, like EGM...he really loved it. Apparently the game is a [i]lot[/i] better than the N64 version (thankfully), with tighter controls, well-balanced items and amazing tracks.

I'm really looking forward to it. It looks like Mario Kart will be one of the biggest GameCube titles yet.[/color]

Yeah, I was gonna rescind what I said earlier about Toad not being in the game but I have computer issues right now, bleh.

[spoiler]Anyway, Toad is a secret character along with Petey Pirahna, King Boo and some character named Toadie (a female Toad, I'd presume). [/spoiler] The original cast of characters presented at the beginning of this thread is still intact.

EDIT: I didn't even think of putting spoiler tags around that. D'oh! A bit late now, I suppose, but oh well.

Guest The Bouncer
Petey Pirahna?? how can he drive he dont even got arms. But the levels look nice. I want to race on that level where you get toy use the boats. That looks like it would be fun. But I dont gotta worry abut buyin it cuz my litttle bro is...

It is rather annoying that nothing can be kept surprising anymore. Secret characters and such aren't something I feel I should find out about just by reading someone's basic posts. I had the same problem at Gaming-Age. Now I know basically everything there is to unlock, what's the fun in that?

There are spoiler tags for a reason. Personally, I didn't want to know 4 secret characters 3 weeks before I could even get the game. Bleh.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solo Tremaine [/i]
[B][COLOR=#503F86]I guess it's my fault for asking, too. I just like knowing if there's something I really want to work towards getting in the game.[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#707875]Hehe, it's okay. These things happen; no big deal at all.

On the subject of characters though...I am very happy with the lineup. Interestingly, there was a rumor that Sonic was going to be a secret character...yet...

[spoiler]So far, I've heard nothing about Sonic being there. When our European Correspondent played, he had five ours with the game -- including all special characters unlocked. Yet, there was apparently no Sonic. That's a shame, I think. Though Petey Pirahna makes up for it. ^_^[/spoiler][/color]

It's not really your fault or anyone's. I think everyone just gets excited and says stuff without thinking about it. Really, who doesn't want to know? lol

I was more bothered by the fact that someone posted a picture of the two newest secret characters at GAF the night before... there is no way to avoid looking at a screenshot. I was voicing my general frustration heh.

[spoiler]I am very, very happy that Toad is in the game though. I'm a little annoyed by Toadette though. I don't even get the point of Daisy in these games... so I figure Peach and Toad would be a good combo and that would open it up for two new characters.

Whatever happened to the Koopa Kids? Magikoopa? There are quite a few possibilities. Oh well.[/spoiler]

[color=indigo]Yeah, I miss Koopa Troopa from the original Super Mario Kart. Him and Toad were my two favorite characters, though I prefered Toad. They went a little slower than other characters, but they had spot-on handling. Very nice for the harder tracks with lots of twists and turns, as well as making quick maneuvers in battle mode.

And what's wrong with Daisy? I happen to like her more than Peach. :p I don't think she's any more pointless than Baby Bowser instead of Koopa Troopa.

[spoiler]I'm happy that Toad is going to be in Double Dash, though. I wonder if they'll bring back the Poison Mushrooms from the original that shrunk people? (They were Peach's and Toad's set item for the CPU). That'd be awesome. ^_^[/spoiler][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B][spoiler]Whatever happened to the Koopa Kids? Magikoopa? There are quite a few possibilities. Oh well.[/spoiler] [/B][/QUOTE]

[spoiler]Well, I'm not sure if this is spoiling anything or just ranting, but whatever. Anyway, I've been complaining about that for years (as my sister knows very well lol). The Koopalings are some of my favorite characters in the history of Nintendo and I think they would fit in quite well with the rest of the characters in Double Dash. It just annoys me that Nintendo would make these great characters, use them in a few games, then abandon them.

Magikoopa rules, too - he'd kick everyone's ***. He's got a wand for God's sakes! Poor Magikoopa...so neglected since appearing in Super Mario RPG :([/spoiler]

I think I'm getting too worked up over this lol.

I never liked golden mushrooms very much. Nor do I particularly like Daisy either ... I agree, she's a Peach clone for the brunettes out there.

Toad's my favorite character, too. (Incidentally.)

I'd forgotten about the poison mushrooms! Those were so cool ...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by terra [/i]
[B]I never liked golden mushrooms very much. Nor do I particularly like Daisy either ... I agree, she's a Peach clone for the brunettes out there.[/B][/QUOTE]

I hope people aren't forgetting that Princess Daisy was originally from Super Mario Land (she was in the Super Mario Bros. Movie, too - she's famous :p ). She's not technically a Princess Peach clone...but Nintendo's pretty much using her as one, heh.

But I agree about the poison mushrooms; those are awesome. Who doesn't love a good Lost Levels reference :D

[color=#707875]Ahh, it's good to see the excitement brewing over Mario Kart. Hehe...Mario Kart would have to be one of my all-time favourite game franchises and I'm really pleased with everything I'm hearing about Double Dash. Actually, I think I feel more excited about this than I did for Super Mario Sunshine. And that's saying a lot in my case.

[spoiler]Anyway, I'd definitely like to see the Koopa Kids make an appearance somewhere. I agree that they aren't used often enough. Can't you just see Ludwig screeching around a Flying Ghost Ship track or something? Hehe. And, I would still like to see Sonic. I thought that'd have been a great inclusion. Although, I'd give up Sonic for the Koopa Kids or any of the regular Koopa characters.[/spoiler][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=#707875][spoiler]Anyway, I'd definitely like to see the Koopa Kids make an appearance somewhere. I agree that they aren't used often enough. Can't you just see Ludwig screeching around a Flying Ghost Ship track or something? Hehe. And, I would still like to see Sonic. I thought that'd have been a great inclusion. Although, I'd give up Sonic for the Koopa Kids or any of the regular Koopa characters.[/spoiler][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I know I would. [spoiler]I've loved just about anything and everything the Koopalings have been involved with: SMB 3, Super Mario World, The Adventures of SMB 3, Super Mario World (cartoon), etc. Mario is Missing is the only game of theirs I didn't like, heh. Plus, they're vibrant, wild characters; they fit perfectly into the context of the Mario universe. If Nintendo didn't even consider putting the Koopalings in this game...well...they probably shouldn't leave the punishment up to me ~_^[/spoiler]

[color=indigo]Heh, to tell the truth, my excitement for Double Dash right now is being almost completely drowned out by my anticipation of Final Fantasy XI. :cross: Though I'm sure that will change once I get it and breath deep the scent of a new game, heh. The church that I go to is actually in an old movie theater, so I'm hoping I can maybe set something up so people can come and we can all play up on a theater screen. Playing videogames on a movie theater screen is just awesome; especially when you've got a WaveBird and can sit anywhere in the theater, and not just in back next to the system. ^_^[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
Hm, I've been trying to avoid this thread until the game's release. But, what the heck. I was quite taken back to see IGN blast it to the extremes they did. Overall, it received an above average score. Obviously, a 7.9 is interchangeable with a quality game on their scoring charts. So, saying they've blasted it might be a bit strong when looking at the score alone. Yet, IGN?s reviews are typically skewed higher than they should be. And, up to this point, I've read very positive feedback regarding MK: DD. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting a more positive outlook from them.

I rarely trust the media for reviews at this point because I largely disagree with them. Well, with the possible exception of Game Informer's totally reliable information. But, when so many people have graced the game with positive feedback, I can only help but to take IGN's comments with a grain of salt. When I weigh them against the general opinions of this game, they don?t add up.

[quote][b]With the GameCube in dire need of top-tier software, we have been counting on it to revive the legendary franchise with new vigor and bring the console yet another surefire reason to be owned by all self-respecting gamers. However, this is not quite the case. Double Dash!! is an assuredly fun multiplayer racer that only makes small gameplay advances over the already-3D Mario Kart 64. Truly, it is a more graphically impressive version than its predecessor, but it is also a simpler one in some respects, proving that Nintendo still believes a more complex game is not necessarily a more entertaining one.

Those intentions may be good at heart, but the end result in Double Dash is second-rate. It's the kind of cookie-cutter sequel that Nintendo said it didn't want to create. This applies more to the hardcore fans of the series, though. Those that have played little of the franchise or those too young to remember it will find it to be a solid multiplayer title. It is, in fact, a fantastic title for kids. As well, despite our nostalgic disappointments, it's still one of GameCube's better exclusive offerings this holiday season.[/b][/quote]

The phrases that immediately jumped out at me are "second-rate" and "cookie-cutter sequel." It'll be interesting to see firsthand whether or not the game is intended solely for children or not. Mario Kart titles have always done such a wonderful job of balancing the gameplay for young and old audiences alike. They've never been [i]insanely[/i] difficult. There's always been an inherent challenge. Just enough to be compelling, really. Even in the later single player modes.

They do comment on the new character swapping system, but its importance seems to be downplayed in the grand scheme of their article.

[quote][b]Track designs, on the whole, are crude and uninteresting. There are a few shortcuts in each, and these are the only true solaces for skilled players. They often require having a mushroom handy for a speed burst over a chasm, or in one of our favorite instances riding up the thin, arched railing of a bridge.[/b][/quote]

This sounds a bit unfair. Anyone who's played the past Mario Karts should come to the table knowing that the track designs have never been overly complex. They've had a history of being constructed compactly to keep the race close and frantic so that weapons could be utilized in racers' strategy more effectively.

I wonder what people expect sometimes. :rolleyes:

[quote][b]This better compatibility with the casual gamer is nice, but simplifying the gameplay has serious repercussions to the Mario Kart fans. You pick up double the items over tracks that haven't increased much in size. This makes placing first in races very random and left to chance. There is no real way to defend against a lighting bolt or the deadly first-place-seeking blue shell. This makes 150cc circuits and multiplayer very frustrating, since the best driver in the world can drop from first to last place if a few nasty items are played. The use of the ghost item is gone, too, which further removes the balance. When you climb rank in Double Dash!!, you will only get green shells, fake item boxes, and bananas -- they won't protect you against the items last place opponents get, like lighting.

The hop maneuver has also been removed, which was a highpoint of the control mechanics that previous Mario Karts offered. With MK64 you could find depth hidden under what seemed to be a simple, arcade racing shell, but Double Dash!! lacks that complexity. It's very straightforward; instead of expanding upon what impressed before, it has diluted the overall gameplay in favor of simplicity.[/b][/quote]

This excerpt sounds a bit alarming. The hop maneuver was useful and it added quite a bit to the experience. I'll miss it. The unbalanced weapons system could potentially be frustrating too.

The only other huge gripe they seem to have centers around the reward system or lack thereof. I've not read exactly what can be unlocked yet because I'd like to keep it a surprise, so I won't comment either way right now.

I do think that it's a bit unfair to measure a game's quality by its number of easter eggs though. They're just an extra layer of paint. Admittedly, unlocking secrets is always a fun and rewarding experience (in a good game), but I want to play a game because I enjoy it--not solely because of the goodies involved.

Anyway, I didn?t post this to convince anyone not to try the game. I just figured it?d be interesting to include opinions that seem to fall into the minority right now so that when the game is released, these comments will be easily accessible within the thread. And, while I respect these opinions, I think it?ll be interesting to test their accuracy.

[color=#707875]IGNcube has become little more than a bitter and twisted "what if" site.

Take their review of Kirby's Air Ride, for example. It was labeled as "kiddie" and pointless, because of its single-button layout. Yet, IGN's comments and assessment of the game can be completely discredited and contradicted by other sites who have provided extensive impressions of the title.

One of two things happened there; either IGN played the game for five minutes and decided it was terrible, [i]or[/i], they are simply so sick of anything with a bit of colour in it, that they immediately attack it before it has a chance.

In regard to Mario Kart: Double Dash, I don't know. IGN were the ones who complained about MK64 having tracks that were too long and boring -- yet they're complaining about tighter, more focused track design in Double Dash. So what will it be? One or the other?

I mean, ultimately I'm going to save my full comments until I play the game and make my own choice. But lately, IGN has been getting me quite annoyed. Their recent reviews have been unfair to say the least. I'm hoping that this is the case with Double Dash, because I do want to enjoy it.[/color]

[quote][b]Track designs, on the whole, are crude and uninteresting. There are a few shortcuts in each, and these are the only true solaces for skilled players. They often require having a mushroom handy for a speed burst over a chasm, or in one of our favorite instances riding up the thin, arched railing of a bridge.[/b][/quote]
Blech. I hate shortcuts, and if I may say so myself I'm a pretty skilled player, so I'm not sure why IGN would say that. Perhaps I'm not a skilled player after all ... But I particularly hate the shortcuts that require a mushroom for the speed-over-chasm thing. Just a little rant.

I do think I'll miss the hop maneuver, as well. Does this mean the turbo deal is also gone? I always thought the turbo in the 64 version was a great addition.