OtakuBoards

Rurouni Kenshin

Kinetic

meh, I prefer Kenshin to Sanosuke. but Sano's still really cool ^_^. I much prefer the OVA/OAV/???'s to the actual tv series, 'quality is better than quantity', or however it goes :cross:. I'm glad I got the OVA on DVD subtitled though, they [i]really[/i] screwed the voices on the dubs. some of the little comedy they had in the first OVA got written out and taken place of by some idiotic remark that just made the character seem like a total jerk. and the voices overall didn't fit the characters at all IMO. but that's dubbing for ya, I guess :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if anyone has seen the Kenshin series? Thanks to friends and a really great anime club at my high school here in washington, I am now hooked onto this series. So this is just one question about it... Why doesnt Kenshin like finishing off the bad people? He knows they will return to hunt him down, but he never does why is that? And why does he go on, like "He looks hurt, that he does." WHy does he do that!?

He vowed never to kill another with his sword, which is why he used a Sakabatou instead of a traditional samurai sword. A Sakabatou is a swords who has the flat end of the sword where it would be sharp in a traditional sword, and sharp where it would be flat.

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS... actually it does, but the first part is background info.

During the Bakumatsu times, Kenshin was a hitokiri (basically an assassin, "mankiller") working for the Ishinshishi. Japan was basically in a civil war between the Meiji Ishin and the Edu Bakufu. Kenshin was a revolutionist working with the Meiji as an assassin (he was 15 at the time) and was feared by almost all of the enemy (except Saito Hajime - who was the leader of the Shinsengumi, the assassins working for the Edu Bakufu) So it was a war of the sword. Many people died, many at the hands of Kenshin himself. [spoiler]After he inadvertently killed his own wife (who was forced to be on the opposing side), Kenshin vowed never to use his sword to kill again. But to protect. So he became a Rurouni (vagabon, wanderer) and ended up stuck with Kaoru, whom he falls in love with.... albeit she falls in love with him first, he doesn't realixe his true feelings till later in the story.

The first kenshin OAV basically gives background during the Meiji/Edu war. Kenhin as a kid, how he was trained, and how he became who he was. The series picks up as Kenshin as the rouroni meeting Kaoru, and progresses as Kenshin's past comes back to haunt him. It follows the manga almost exactly till the middle of the series, after the Kyoto saga, when it starts it's own little thing. The second Kenshin OAV, Seisouhen, deals with that part in the manga the series didn't have, the Revenge arc. Which Tomoe's (Kenshin's first wife) brother Enishi, comes to kill Kenshin for killing his sister (he witnessed it). And it goes into the future. Kenshin's son, Kenji, Yahiko gorwn up and everything.[/spoiler]

Sorry I rambled on, but it's such a wonderful series. The movie is also out there which is just another Kenshin side story dealing with his past.

[color=royalblue]I really like Kenshin, but I can't seem to grasp exactly what order everything is in. I have seen all four OAVs, the movie, and about 20 random episodes. I am probably going to be getting some dubbed DVDs for Christmas, so I really want to know what come first. :p[/color]

Oh how much I want to see this anime.. ;_; I only saw the OVA that contained Kenshin's origin. Instead of buying the show (don't have the time and money to do so...) I download them off Kazaa. Its just pissing me off because sometimes I get videos that are too damn big, no sound, poor subtitles, and/or poor quality to watch in enjoyment. >_< And to top it all off, according to the results in Kazaa, there is at least 95 episodes!!! *cries a river*

There are 95 episodes, however only the first 60 or so are worth watching, the ones after that get a bit boring. Plus the 4 episode OAV, the movie and the newest OAV which is 2 episodes.

If you're downloading them, get the real player files. They are encoded at 300 KBPS which is good quality. I've seen them all in that format, they are good.

• 2 months later...
Finally after soooo long of waiting Kenshin is finally here , i have watched it before, on well my local tv station pirated it and i got to watch it but they didnt show the episodes in any order altough they showed the uncut versions it was still pretty cool. Even though i have mixed feelings about it coming on CN ( because they are going to butcher it beyond recognition) we still have to be thankful and hope that it wont be too bad, after all it is perhaps one of the best series ever created next to Cowboy Bebop and the fact that it reached my small island (Jamaica) im just lucky to be watching it at all

Guest Imsirion
I've already mentioned it in the cartoon network line ups thread, its to be discussed in there, it being part of the line up. :)

[color=teal]I know it will be butchered because there are some parts that are a little bloody and unsuitable for daytime television.

Quite sad, really. It's actually a great series, and it's a shame that it'll be edited through hell and back. I'll watch it anyways, just to keep a memory of the series.[/color]

well this is a very cool anime its bacicaly about a Ronin ( masterless samurai) and after being exposed to battle and killing at a young age he eventually starts having doubts about his lifestyle so after a revelation he takes a vow never to take another life again, but because he was the greatest killer ( Hitoriki, correct me if im wrong) trouble always seems to find him so he must draw back into the past and use his skills to save and protect himself and friends.
This series is easily one of the best ever made and is definatly worth your time

Hmm, this seems to be more about the cartoon Network version, save Anten's post. Please continue the discussion there. :) If you want to talk about Kenshin in general, you can, but it doesn't seem like you are in this particular thread.

Topic closed.

EDIT: I've decided to open this topic back up. As long as you can retain the discussion to the series itself, and [i]not[/i] the Cartoon Network version, then it will remain open.

I heard about this series. I hear it is really good. I really want to see it. I`ll watch it on cartoonnetwork then I will buy the dvd to see what they had edited out. Anyway I can`t wait till monday to see it. I am so excited. I love ani,e with samuri`s.

[color=hotpink][size=1]My sister is a BIG Kenshin fan. She has a couple of the volumes until she couldn't afford them anymore and she got into Ceres. I like Sanosuke. He's such a beautiful character and I love his arrogant and cocky attitude. Any real guy like that would piss me off, but I like that about his character. Kenshin is not mean enough. Well, he is later on...but not at first. ^_^[/color][/size]

Wow i cant belive such a prestigeous person such as you has posted on my humble thread, i am very honored. Well Sano is cool too if u like the jobless bum, i dont care wat u wanna say about me cuz i' ll still kick ur a** persona, but he's a moderatly controlled character which makes him good for some fights not all because he can be a hot head and thats dangerous to his health in fights, on the other hand Kenshin is really quiet and as a rule i dont trust quiet people cuz the always have somthng up their sleeve, anyway Kenshin always observes the situation and attacks accordingly so he's always prepared for anything. Look at that crazy kid the one who's always happy he's a perfect warrior becuz he maintains one emotion and doesnt make anything change it and plus that stupid look confuses his opponents.

What the dubbed version horrible?! Er...wait do you mean the cartoon network dub or the dubbed vers. on the DVDs? Because I have 74 eps on DVD and I love the English voices (the only complaint being Cho the sword hunter's). True only the Japanese one has Kenshin actually saying 'oro', but still. Then again, I don't know if Cartoon Network is going to use the same voices as the DVDs, I mean I HOPE they will, and besides they've been using so many of them already. The voice actors for Seijuro Hiko and Sano both do voices on Lupin III and...I'm sure there are more but I can't remember. Even though I have a lot of eps on dvd, I'm still going to watch it on cartoon network for 2 very important reasons. 1. it doesn't interfere with simpsons reruns, and 2. to see the differences between the versions. On a side note, Seijuro Hiko's and Sano's voices can also be heard in Xenosaga. There's someone who sounds a LOT like Sojiro's voice too, but I can't be sure because it's a girl playing a guy's voice in Kenshin ::shrugs::.

Ahh this subbed and dubbed crap again.

I would remind you all that syk warned against the discussion of cn and the dubbing of kenshin by cn.

However, I gotta say that it is slowly becoming obvious to me that many people find the fact that they have watched something in its original version as a pass to knock on any english translations that are produced.

I would say this is just another "who's the biggest fan boy thread"?

Asking the age old question of whether or not it is acceptable that another wonderful anime is being brought to american television with english spoken language.

I say bring kenshin.

It has been a long time since I have had the honor of watching it.

And even then it was an annoyance to read a fuzzy subtitle at the bottom of bootleg tapes.

Oh well, the fact is... you just can't please some people.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Syk3 [/i]
[B]
I've decided to open this topic back up. As long as you can retain the discussion to the series itself, and [i]not[/i] the Cartoon Network version, then it will remain open. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=teal]Okay, since I'm new here, I may not understand. The original post was about the series coming to Cartoon Network, if I'm not mistaken. So, with that being the intent of the thread, how is it to be closed if we post on-subject?[/color]

The original dub that was done for Kenshin. I dunno if it was on the DVDs, I didn't bother wasting my money on that garbage, but there was a dub out of Kenshin and it's been out for more than 4 years I know for sure. When i first got into Kenshin i saw a few clips form the original dub, which made me want to puke. I had seent he Japanese versions before that and I was blown away by the seiyuu (voice actor) for Sanosuke and how great it was, but when i watched the dub, the VA for Sanosuke was absolutely horrid.

This is the classical dub vs sub debate. This is the fact the VAs can't act, not that the info isn'r right, like in DBZ or osmething. If you want to enjoy the show more, go get the japanese version. Even without the subtitles, you'll enjoy it much more than the crappy dub.

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Fate [/i]
[B][color=teal]Okay, since I'm new here, I may not understand. The original post was about the series coming to Cartoon Network, if I'm not mistaken. So, with that being the intent of the thread, how is it to be closed if we post on-subject?[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

They have a specific thread to discuss cartoon network line-ups. That's why it would be closed. If the topic remained on discussing the CN version coming to Network it would be closed. Thus Syk3 is saying that the topic should be for discussing the series Kenshin.

Hope this helps you out. ;)

[color=teal]Only the bloodiest parts will be edited, I suspect. The series is simply stunning, and I hope it will retain the original interest of the viewers. Let's hope this doesn't turn into another Sailor Moon deal.[/color]