OtakuBoards

Rurouni Kenshin

Kinetic

I was actually thinking of buying the DVDs of Kenshin, dubbed. I'll get a taste of it on Cartoon Network, and then if I like it, which I probably will, I'll have to start saving up $100. ^_^;; It isn't too bad considering there are 95 episodes in the series, and if the dub was really [i]that[/i] bad, I could just change it to subbed. Ahh, how I love DVDs. I've never seen a badly dubbed anime on DVD. They keep in all of the original content, and the voice actors arn't that bad, so...I suppose that you just got used to the subbed version, TN? >.< It's just that the series looks so good, but I want to be able to watch it in my language.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=hotpink][size=1]I think that letting people get a taste of Kenshin is a pretty good idea. It's a nice series. I've only seen the dubbed version and it doesn't bother me that bad. I think it's cute. But maybe I'm not supposed to think it's cute? I don't know...

I really like the dubbed English theme song. It's so cute...so is the ending song. GAH! I THINK THE WHOLE SERIES IS CUTE!!![/color][/size]

[color=teal]Maybe it's only Kenshin that's cute (He's a samurai pretty boy, how could you not think he's cool?), because I've never been too fond of swords and whatnot.

This guy owns.[/color]
[img]http://pantransit.reptiles.org/images/2000-11-05/snow.jpg[/img]

Well, I just saw Kenshin, and the first thing that came into my mind? Trigun. It's from the producers of Trigun, don't try to tell me it's not! It's way too similar! A main character who is told to be pure evil, you can barely tell it's him due to his comical side. There is someone that takes his name and goes around killing people. The main character never wants to kill anyone, and even the voices and music remind me of it! It's obviously a bit more intense in the way of killing and stuff, but it feels like Trigun nonetheless. Not that that's a bad thing, either, however, since Trigun was a good series. :) If Vash was a ninja, this would be the series. ^_^

Well, I saw the episode and it was pretty good, but they changed a lot from the manga. They added a few extra characters and changed the storyline of the first episode a bit, but all in all it was good. Some of the voices were off though...(namely Kenshin. It just doesn't suit him exactly right in my opinion.) The fight scenes were pretty good, even though they got a little messed up becasue of editing. I loved the ending theme song! Any one know what the name of the song is?

And one more thing....the motto of the Kamiya Kasshin school was "The Sword That Protects Life". "The Sword That Revitalizes" was just stupid....

I loved this show.

Very comedic and exciting.

Lots of humor, lots of action.

I love the facial expressions and the overall quality.

I also love the voice of kenshin, its not that crap like yu gi oh with a ten year old speaking like barry white...

That is good dubbing, no matter what you say.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by gokents [/i]
[B]I loved this show.

Very comedic and exciting.

Lots of humor, lots of action.

I love the facial expressions and the overall quality.

I also love the voice of kenshin, its not that crap like yu gi oh with a ten year old speaking like barry white...

That is good dubbing, no matter what you say. [/B][/QUOTE]
Lol, yeah, I was wondering about the way he talked. The way he'd say something like Yoda, except say the whole sentence first, and repeat part of it. "I am a wandering traveler, I am." He'd say that repeatedly, so I know it's not something completely random. It that a dubbing error?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Syk3 [/i]
[B]I suppose that you just got used to the subbed version, TN? >.< It's just that the series looks so good, but I want to be able to watch it in my language. [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, when i first saw Kenshin I watche the first episode in Japanese. Then i saw clips from the next few here and there. I heard Sano's seiyuu and was absolutely blown away by the emotion the guy put into his work. It's really absolutely amazing if you get a chance to hear him. He's got that evil, but I'm your friend type of voice... It was just too good.... then I saw clips from the English dub... That emotion Sano's seiyuu put into his character was not present int he dub version. It just seems very plain and unwilling. I was really diappointed.

I guess I see it two different ways. In Japan the anime market is so huge peopel are usually professional voice actors, while here... you don't see that. Hence why we use actual actors to do voice overs many times. Billy Crystal and John Goodman for Monsters Inc for example. I guess since people live professionally on voice acting in Japan, they put more heart and effort into their work, while here, unless you hire a really good and well known actor, you're probably not going to get that type of devotion. AT least not when the Kenshin dub was originally done. I suppose if they re-dubbed it now, they would get something better. They shoul dhave tried harder to get a voice that somewhat resembled Sano's.

I watched it and i am just totally blown away by the sheer coolness of Kenshin i mean that must be really hard to be a cold killer one moment then a klutzy idiot the next, and , well i dont kno what else to say he's just so damn cool the only other series i see come close to this level of stylishness is Cowboy bebop but nevertheless it was Kenshin who made me want 2 move to japan 2 learn to fight like that thats how highly i think of the whole series

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Syk3 [/i]
[B]I was actually thinking of buying the DVDs of Kenshin, dubbed. I'll get a taste of it on Cartoon Network, and then if I like it, which I probably will, I'll have to start saving up $100. ^_^;; It isn't too bad considering there are 95 episodes in the series, and if the dub was really [i]that[/i] bad, I could just change it to subbed. Ahh, how I love DVDs. I've never seen a badly dubbed anime on DVD. They keep in all of the original content, and the voice actors arn't that bad, so...I suppose that you just got used to the subbed version, TN? >.< It's just that the series looks so good, but I want to be able to watch it in my language. [/B][/QUOTE]

Just forget about the bad dubbing, and sit back and relax, and watch the show. It won't seem so bad, I do that. I don't really pay attention to the dubbing. I just watch it. Since I'm so eager to watch it, I forget about the bad editing, and bad dubbing.

I like this anime from the day I saw it. (Yesterday). Anywho, the editing I must say wasn't good, but the plot, and the charcters, and the amazing animation caught my eye fast enough that I fogot about the bad editing, and dubbing. Though the Old man's voice wasn't good, and you could always catch that. So yes, I like it so much, that I watch it on CN.

[color=indigo]I bought the first two DVD's (or at least the first part of the original series, I think it is original anyways), but I was never sure where to continue on from there.

The episodes ended with Kenshin's lover [spoiler](who had original intentions of killing Kenshin b/c he had killed her husband) sacrificing herself for Kenshin[/spoiler]

Could anybody familiar with the series tell me where to go from here. From the DVD backs that I have read it seems that the story line changes dramatically.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B][color=indigo]I bought the first two DVD's (or at least the first part of the original series, I think it is original anyways), but I was never sure where to continue on from there.

The episodes ended with Kenshin's lover [spoiler](who had original intentions of killing Kenshin b/c he had killed her husband) sacrificing herself for Kenshin[/spoiler]

Could anybody familiar with the series tell me where to go from here. From the DVD backs that I have read it seems that the story line changes dramatically.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

You got the OAV. The first one at least. Which is technically a prequel to the story of Kenshin. The TV series is a different animation and takes place about 20-30 years after that (Kenshin being 16 at the time he was a Hitokiri and when he killed Tomoe) The second OAV, Seisohen, is a sequel sort of (It'll be released on DVD soon). It actually takes place in between the series after the Shishio Arc and before that religious one, which was never in the manga actually. The second OAV is the Revenge Arc which for some ridiculous reason wasn't animated int he original series.

[quote][b]I just got one thing to ask about the dub version. Does Kenshin repeat himself in the original like he does in the Dub?[/b][/quote]

NO! He doesn't, it's so annoying to hear that from him. Ugh. They usually do that when they run out of sentence and still have Kenshin moving his mouth. It's cheap and stupid.

The series is really good till right after the ShiShio Arc, and then you'll just get bored with the series. It's like they ran out of ideas lol. That and like I said, that religious saga wasn't in the original Manga. You'll love it up to then guaranteed. I wonder if they plan to play all 95 episodes in a row or make us wait a year for 6 episodes like DBZ....

Im still diggin this show more and more as I see... more of it.

It really reminds me of tenchi in a lot of ways, but its got a different overall tone.

Kenshin is a badass and tenchi was sorta a struggling weakling at times.

But enough of a comparison between those two, because the humor of the facial expressions is about as far as the similarities go... well the "romance" too.

The bottom line is that I am really liking this show and the way they depict this cool, calm, samurai with a really good heart.

Although, in this calm, super bad samurai, they stray from the same old good heart depiction by showing him as harmless most of the time and only getting serious and quiet at the right times...

Compared to the usual, with a quiet, cool, bad dude, who only lets his good, caring side come out during the utmost of important dramatic scenes.

I love the light hearted kenshin by far more than the silent tough guy.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ryo the Tamer [/i]
[B]Now that I watch it more... Kenshin kind of reminds me of Vash... [/B][/QUOTE]
Heh, that's exactly what I was talking about. They both have names feared as being ruthless killers, and they have humorous attitudes until the fight, when they become serious. They don't want to kill anyone, either, which makes them out to be a pure good guy. Women follow them around, and they even save their lives once in a while. It's mind boggling just how similar they are.

[color=teal]Personally, I think American dubs cause cancer, but then again, it's just an opinion. The series looks decent, even though some parts are clearly edited. The way Kenshin repeats himself in the American dub would indicate that what he says isn't completely random, and that whatever he says, he means it. It may be a cheap dubbing trick, but... What can you do? I do like the serious-for-a-minute-and-then-a-total-klutz sort of thing. I think it's funny. Perhaps the dub won't be [i]too[/i] terrible, all things considered. If you don't like the Cartoon Network editing, just buy the unedited DVD's. They've been out for quite a while now...[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ryo the Tamer [/i]
[B]I just got one thing to ask about the dub version. Does Kenshin repeat himself in the original like he does in the Dub? [/B][/QUOTE]

If you mean, when Kenshin says something like "That it is." to end a sentence, he does do that in the actual sub. He does this as a habit so much that a little kid in the Kyoto arc calls Kenshin by the name of "That it is" insted of his real name. It is humorous and it was good they kept in the dub.
I was pretty surprised that they got rid of Kenshin's famous "Oro" and replaced it with "huh" or other random phrases of confusion. I didn't see that as something English speakers couldnt adapt too...
As many have said, the voice acting in the dub deserves a thumb down (not the worst in the world but where did they get Kenshin's voice? Sure, plenty of people like it, but my personal opinion is the high-pitched japanese voice for him actually fit better) but based on the first 5 eps, most of the important parts of the eps remained intact. Wonder how much they'll have to cut in the much darker and more violent "Legend of Kyoto".
Enjoy the first 62 eps of the show. 63-95 are mostly fillers and the end is so boring. Watsuki Nobuhiro (the creator) didn't even make it so it wasn't destined for much newaz. The three OVAs are a lot more enjoyable (Trust, Betrayal, and Seisouhen) although they lack the original humor from the show and are a lot more violent.
This is truly one of the best animes of all time despite the show's weak ending. IF you're a true otaku, don't miss this show.

I just came back to mention that I am slowly walking around more and more everyday thinking about this show.

Its got so much appeal in several different areas that it is hard for me to imagine the reasons why this show wasnt brought to the american t.v. market sooner.

I am really starting to love cn for the fact that they show anime.

Regardless of what you all think of dubbing or editing, I just love the fact, that I am getting to see anime I wouldnt get to see otherwise.

Go ahead and bash cn if you want or me for that matter, but I can say this... I would never deny any of you the chance to watch a new show, and with cn, thats exactly what I get... the chance to watch new, exciting, humorous and dramatic shows.