OtakuBoards

Rurouni Kenshin

Kinetic

Guest Watinabe
The dubs ok, that it is I find it humorous, that I do but after unfortanatly having to bear toonamis version of the series it still kicks *** either way and It's my second fav below cowboy bebop. You know there is a similarity between vash and kenshin that I didn't relize untill reading your posts but there both cool either way*

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=darkblue]
In my humble opinion, they have completely butchered the show. The choices for the voice actors are horrible. None of them match, and they are no where as good as the Japanese voice actors. I am just seeing my first dubbed episode, and I would rather not watch it then see it like this.
[/color]

Yea, lord knows its never worth watching something when the voices dont match up.

I figure this is the worst dubbing since the movie akira.

This dubbing is nothing compared to a master piece like yu gi oh or pokemon.

I would say that the only way I would watch this dubbed version is if I wasnt fluent in japanesse or if I didnt have the wads of money I have to buy original versions through the rare import distributors in my area.

I would say the only thing good about the toonami version is that...

With it airing, us hardcore people have the chance to show just how cool we are by bashing an anime that has never aired in america.

I mean, this stuff is for us bi-lingual millionaires alone, not the masses of fans who couldnt get ahold of it before cn aired it.

Jeez.

The coolest fight in the entire series is the fight between Kenshin and Sattauo (if thats how his name is spelt) and it was the first episode of it i had ever watched and that was the episode that hooked me, i think its one of the most beautifully captured fight in all of anime history next to a few Bebop fights. The whole cinematography of the scene was masterfully captured ( lol i sound like a film critic ) and you can see how the characters actually unfold during the course of the fight, that to me is one of the hardest things to achive , because you must show it if u want pefection.

Fact of the matter is that I love it and that's it.
Not much to that.
But before we even had it, Brazil had it and has had it for a couple of months. They're halfway through with it.
In Brazil, they call it "Samurai X' and personally, I like it better that way. I don't know why. Ruroni Kenshin sounds more Japanese, but for some reason, it just pisses me off the way CN says it with that strong American 'r' sound. They can't say it right so I don't like it. Oh well...

Guest Watinabe
The CN Cut of Kenshin isn't that bad besides they do what they can that they do... I think... but still you sure do bash alot even with your "humble opinoins"*. Was that guy with the Symbol bad on his shirt ever going to wield that bad *** sword again or did he just ominously decide to get rid of it while joining Kenshin to become broke and full of goodness^_^:devil:

I am just glad they are showing atleast a few more episodes of this show...

I saw that they werent doing toonami today and thought that they were done with it becuase they were running out of dbz and feared the worst... that they had no more kenshin to air.

Luckily, kenshin will continue.. but in classic cn style, for how long? I have no clue.

anyone else know.

Guest Watinabe
They should have a substancle amount of episodes to air I suspect it will stay for some time mmmm.... Excel, Hyatt, investigate these latest reports^_^

[FONT=arial]as far as the edited version goes, I've only seen one of the edited episodes on Toonami, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. the only part that really irritated me was how they didn't show [spoiler]Jin-e (sp?) stabbing himself, and how he just 'died' on the ground[/spoiler].

I prefer hearing Kenshin's dubbed voice to his subbed voice, mostly because it isn't done by a woman (yeah, I know, Goku's Japanese VA is a woman too; didn't say I liked Goku's voice either though). the Japanese voice acting may be better, but I really didn't like how his voice sounded. the female voice actress that played Kenshin in the first OVA didn't bother me as much though.

the Kenshin TV series is pretty good, but I much prefer Tsuiokuhen over the actual series. when I saw the Kenshin TV series, I was "hey, this is pretty neat", but when I saw the OVA, I was ".......woah....". it aggravated me how they changed the name to Samurai X though. what, is the 'X' supposed to make it sound cooler or something? ergh, anywho. I thought it was neat how you could flip the DVD jackets for the actual cover art (which looks 10 times better ^_^).[/FONT]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Watinabe [/i]
[B]The CN Cut of Kenshin isn't that bad besides they do what they can that they do... I think... but still you sure do bash alot even with your "humble opinoins"*. Was that guy with the Symbol bad on his shirt ever going to wield that bad *** sword again or did he just ominously decide to get rid of it while joining Kenshin to become broke and full of goodness^_^:devil: [/B][/QUOTE]

Kenshin destroyed Sano's sword in Ep 5 so he cant use it anymore. He never gets it fixed and instead, his main fighting style is with his fists and he uses those for the rest of the series.

Some people who were wondering how long Kenshin will last on CN, I think they posted on ToonZone that cn ordered 95 eps(the entire tv series). :cool: I'm not sure if they ordered the OVAs but probably not yet.

Guest Watinabe
what the ****! why did they destroy that bad *** sword ewwww that pisses me off. :flaming: :mad: :therock: :bawl: :o

I didn`t know they destroyed Sanosuke`s sword.I want to see Samari X. I herd it was pretty good. I also want to see the motion picture. I am thinking about buying everything uncut because I read in a book that American companies cut out lots of things in anime.

Anyway from watching Rurouni Kenshin I can say that I really like this anime. I like the charaters. I also like it when the charaters fight. I just love watching fights.

You better post better than that or the future, or you won't even have one here.

Anyway, I saw the one on CN the other night. I absolutely thought it was horrible. My little brother can't even stand the show, which is saying a lot.

Kevin tried to convince me that the dubbing and editing is what killed it... But, no matter how much they cut out or whatever else, the story was still about trying to get that sumo wrestler some confidence. Nothing would have saved that story, especially considering how awful the dub was overall. I felt like I was watching some stupid moral tale on nickelodeon with better visuals and Japanese ideas stuffed into it.

And........ Why does the owner of that cafe (I think, she has redish hair) almost sound like she's from the south? I never understood stuff like that. They are using Japanese words, but sound like they are from Alabama (and you can tell she is doing it on purpose). Not to mention the annoying voice of the smaller of the two girls. Is it that hard to get a child actor? Must every anime have some adult playing a child making a horrible squeaky voice that says things like "sowwie"?

Of course, this is all based on one episode, and I'm sure it gets better or you all wouldn't like it so much. I'll have to check out a sub as well.

Can you really imagien Sano going through the whole series with the Zanbatou? I mean seriously? His character is for comic relief and basically a "helper" to Kenshin... His pure strength in his fighting style alone is partly comedy. His look on the world is almost the exact opposites as Kenshin. His character is more for guidance and another view than to kick people's butts with a giant sword, that wouldn't fit in doors, where some of the fighting takes place. Plus what better way to show how strong Kenshin is in the first few episodes than to take on, and beat a guy with this huge weapon.

I don't like that stupid southern voiced girl either Sem. It's stupid... I tried to warn you (meaning the other people) the dub was horrible. No one listens.

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody like Rurouni Kenshin? If you haven't heard of it, it's on Cartoon Network right now. It's about a wandering swordsman named Kenshin, who used to be known as Batosai the legendary man-slayer:devil:. He gained this moniker by fighting for the Imperialist government during the Revolution in Japan that eventually led to the Meiji Restoration. After realizing all the pain he had caused, Kenshin disowned the name Batosai, vowing never to kill again. Adopting a reverse-blade (non-lethal) sword and using the legendary Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu style, Kenshin wanders the countryside of Japan, defending the innocent and gaining new allies along the way (ex: Sanosuke). Sounds cool, huh?
This anime is fast-paced, full of action, comedy, and just a little romance. Also, the music for the series is great. I especially like the ending song, "Heart of Sword". (For some MIDI files of the music, go to [url]www.animelyrics.com/anime/kenshin,[/url] and download the files marked M. I recommend Heart of Sword.)

:demon: Saiyan Out :demon:

PS: Does anyone know if the manga is available in the US?

Kenshin is an awesome series and "Heart of Sword" is a great ending as well. To answer your question, the manga is not officially out in the US. It is possible it'll show up in the form of graphic novels or even in the US Shonen Jump in the future but no announcements on that yet. It'll be great to see this come out here since it contains the Revenge arc (the last 10 volumes or so of the manga) which were never animated for the TV show so a lot of new stuff. If you're desperate, you may find fan translations online.

Well now its over... atleast for the moment.

Im wondering if any of you have noticed this new development?

They have started to rerun the series from the begining...

Must have run out of new dubs.

Oh well.

Only it sucks because they started a new part of the series by doing one ep, which introduced a whole new part of the story and a new more powerful villian...

They shouldnt have introduced that part of the series, and instead just started the reruns when they finished the last "mini story" in the series. (the one about the pirates and shoura)

So did you guys notice?

i'm pretty much neutral on the sub vs. dub debate. i watch it in dub first to enjoy it, then sub to pick it apart. but as for kenshin, the dubbing really isn't all that bad. sub version, i find it a bit hard to believe kenshin's 28, and well.. a male.. i mean damn yahiko has a deeper voice than him...