OtakuBoards

Sonic Heroes

DJ. Tatum

Really, I don't like Rogue either. Her voice actor was terrible (as were most of the voices in the Adventure games). Plus, she's just plain annoying.

As for Sonic Heroes, I'm looking forward to this game. I'm glad the first impressions on it were good. Hopefully, the different teams will all integrate some real strategy into this game to make it fun.

• 3 weeks later...
Heh, I suppose I'll get it.. I'm not [i]that[/i] big of a fan of the Sonic franchise, but this one looks pretty cool. I don't see much wrong with Rouge the bat (other than her voice actress person was quite annoying) and her levels could get really irritating.. But team Chaotix.. Are all three of those characters new for this game, or did I miss their intro somewhere along the line...? *just found screenshots of team Chaotix* o_O Uh... =/ Is it just me, or do they look like modified clones of various characters...? Other than the crocodile, I mean.

Heh.. Now on second thought, I think I'll rent it and see what I think then.

[color=indigo]All three of the Team Chaotix members are from Knuckles Chaotix, which was released for the Sega 32x in '95.

Well, I might like to get this game, but as with so many others I probably won't because of lack of money. I like the 2D Sonic games, or at least the few I've played on the Genesis and Game Gear, quite a bit, but I really didn't like SA2B when I borrowed it from a friend. Not only are the Tails/Eggman and Knuckles/Rouge levels quite boring for the most part, but I found the control in the Sonic/Shadow levels to be really bad. And the camera was bad throughout the whole thing.

So my biggest hope for Sonic Heroes is that they improve the controls and camera. I'm sorry, but you shouldn't [i]need[/i] a homing attack to be able to jump into enemies. I mean, it's fine if they want to include it, but you shouldn't need it because the controls and camera are really bad. That's just a sloppy kluge, in my opinion.[/color]

Yeah, the Chaotix are also from the KTE comic series in Archie Comics. I'm not going to go into that, though. My brother has like every Sonic game that ever existed! It's sweet! Well, i saw the ad for SH in the SDX guide. I also found out that Sonic has a chocolate coming out or already out in Belgium? Oro? Nani, that can't be right...or can it?

[color=#707875]I actually think that the homing attack was very well done. I think it's really suitable...because you really have no other way of launching yourself at enemies. It makes sense, especially when you use enemies to cross large gaps or something.

In any case, I hated the non-Sonic/Shadow levels in SA2. Same goes for the non-Sonic/Tails levels in SA. They were horrible.

It's my hope that Sonic Heroes really fixes some of the fundamentals...camera being one, the other being those horrible puzzle levels. It doesn't seem like those levels are included, so here's hoping. lol

In terms of characters...I dislike Rouge. I'd prefer it if they put Cream in there instead. ~_^

Cream & Cheese are cool.[/color]

What's wrong with the other teams? I mean, sure Shadow's cool, and the new Omega guy sounds awesome, (I'm not gonna talk about Rouge here) but I'm looking forward to playing as team Sonic the most. Plus, I don't think they're gonna be fighting the other teams. Arn't they trying to defeat Dr. Robotnik and Metal Sonic?

I also agree with James: Cream and Cheese are cool, and IMO are the best new Sonic characters to come out since Knuckles.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=#707875]I actually think that the homing attack was very well done. I think it's really suitable...because you really have no other way of launching yourself at enemies. It makes sense, especially when you use enemies to cross large gaps or something.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Yeah, it is cool to be able to use it, combined with enemies, to cross gaps and stuff. I find the attack itself fine, I just think it would've been better if they had made it so you had to aim manually. (If there had been a better camera and better play control, that is). Pretty much just make it so you launch in whatever direction you're tilting the control stick, when you push the jump button in the air. You could still use it for all the stuff it's used for now.

And sure, it would make it more difficult, but the better camera and controls would also make it easier, balancing it out. And I mean, sure, it looks cool to bounce from enemy to enemy to cross a gap in the path, but to me it's not that fun. All you have to do is tap the button at the right time, and you're across. I'd find it a lot more fun if I had more control over it.[/color]

[color=#707875]What you're describing is essentially how it is anyway though. You do have a significant degree of control over where your character moves, when you're bouncing between enemies.

And, moreover, Sega don't want to be getting down to that degree of precision, I think. If Sonic Heroes remains a very fast-paced game...it's something I'd compare with Panzer Dragoon. You might say that charging up and firing a handful of missiles with an auto-aim makes the game too easy, but when you play, the fast-paced nature lends itself to that kind of system. In other words, it's very arcade-based.

From my point of view, I'd rather see a greater degree of control with certain other movements. Like for instance, when you're running around a loop...normally you kind of hit a boost pad and it does the work for you. I remember that in SA especially, there were some stretches that were almost exclusively based on those speed ramp things. And that definitely made things too easy. The original 2D Sonic games had some level of automation (when it came to guiding your character through a loop or down a hill or whatever), but you could always change course and you always had to somewhat judge the speed with which you enter a loop and so on.

My feeling is that even with the Sonic/Shadow levels...they really didn't hit the mark in a few ways. It's a shame, because a 3D Sonic game could be so much more than what we've seen so far.[/color]

I agree...or do I? Hmmmmmm who would win? I mean the possibilities are endless but...excuse me I'm just rambling on. Sonic's team looks cool. I am a big Knuckles fan. Tails just plain scares me...mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! But then again Shadow is awesome. I agree, Rouge gets really annoying.

Hey Mr. James, I hadn't thought about that. I agree on your point. Those speed ramps make everything too easy. My brother can beat Sonic games in a few days, it's just no work for him. So, SonicTeam, or whoever creates the games, should put more of a challenge in. Really! And I'm happy that it doesn't appear that Knuckles will be hunting for emerald shards, It just makes his entire role lame! Why can't he run and complete a stage like sonic? The last time I saw knuckles run and complete a stage without collecting any emerald shards was when Sonic and Knuckles came out. That was a long time ago! :laugh: :(

[color=#707875]Cocomi, I must warn you not to double post. It's against the rules at OtakuBoards. If you feel that reading the rules would help you, click here: [url]http://www.theotaku.com/rules.shtml[/url]

Anyway, I can only agree with what you've said here. The "gem hunting" levels and the shooting levels really came across as afterthoughts. I really got the impression that Yuji Naka was forgetting what his own franchise is all about, which is worrying in a way.

Sonic Heroes looks like it might fix a few of these issues though. Here's hoping. <_<[/color]

I pretty much have to agree with everyone else. The gem-hunting levels in particular just serve to magnify the problems with the Adventure series. In particular, the horrible camera (haven't seen a camera that bad since Super Mario 64), the boring levels (outside of the Sonic/Shadow levels) and the rather slow nature of the game (again, outside of the Sonic/Shadow levels). I'm optimistic about Sonic Heroes, but I'll wait until I actually play it before I spew any judgement.

ah sonic heroes! :)

this game is the first on my 'want' list :)

i think the idea of having 3 characters working as a team is a very unique idea and hopefully it will be as much fun as it sounds :).

the one thing i don't get is who the " Flyer " is in team dark? i know who the flyer is in the other 3 teams but i have no idea who flies in team dark :(.

as everyone has said the gem hunting missions were boring and the shooting ones weren't much better. but if they stick to running missions like Sonic's and Shadow's then this game should be one of the best :)

i'm also currently wondering why Big the Cat has returned? maybe he has to look for his frog again or something but it's good that he's made his 2nd gaming appearance :)

another point of this game i'm looking forward to is Team Chaotix.
i've never played as any of the team so it should be fun to play as some new characters :)

oh and my favourite thing about this game so far is that Cream and Cheese are in it :)

(whew! that's my longest post since i joined! :p)

• 5 months later...
And when the game finally comes out, you guys don't bump the thread up? Sheesh...

I just got Sonic Heroes for the PS2 and I would like to make a few points. This game can be extremely easy, or impossibly hard. You can be cruisin around the nice easy loops at one minute, then when you land, you're surrounded by gold armor bots(they're hard to beat...)!!! Other than that, lots of challenging puzzles and secret levels to get the chaos emeralds and the horrible camera angle returns, so gameplay gets a nice 7/10.

Voicing and sounds is where the game tried to improve a bit. I noticed they changed Tails' annoying girly voice, to an annoying nasily voice. A nice plus :P. The sound effect are basicly ones from the past games so its been traditional. I say the music is a bit lacking in this game, but definatly a nice try. 7/10

Ah, the story is average, but they changed up EGGman so much, that he actually invites Sonic to come foil his plans, with an invitation!! This was part 1 of the story. Rouge finds Shadow stuck in suspended animation, and E-123 omega comes out of nowhere, trying to destroy all of eggman's creations. So they want eggman for revenge. That was part 2. Amy, Cream, and Big are looking for Cheese the chao's twin Chocola and Froggy! So they want eggman, because he's their number 1 suspect. That was part 3. The chaotix group is now a detective agency! and they get a call from a mysterious client, stating that he wanted them to destroy eggman. The problem with this is, back in the chaotix game when they were all little, they faced eggman on a numerous occasion, and now they're all "WTF!?!". Since i havent beaten the game, I dont know much about Robo Sonic, so I'll have to get back to you on that. So far 8/10

The teams, (Sonic, Dark, Rose, and Chaotix) basicly have the same moves, what makes them different is their team blast. when team blast is full you press the according button and you do an attack. Team sonic is a powerful blast, team Dark freezes time, team Rose is a decent attack, followed by a sheild and invincibility, and team Chaotix is a clash of music that does decent damage and gives you coin boxes that are sometimes enough to do another team blast. Other than that, you have your basic homing technique, gliding, and flying. 6/10

Overall, its a nice step to trying to reclaim the glory from the 2-d era, but it still doesn't match up. Still a must-buy for diehard sonic fans. 7/10

I will definately be looking into the game. I dont know what system I would by it for seeing how I have GC and Xbox but I'll pick one:P. Sonic was always one of my favs. played his games, watched his cartoons, read his comics. :) i cant wait for this so i can see him again!!!!

[color=teal][b]

I was surprised at myself that I really didn't enjoy this game as much as I would have wanted. I mean it was ok at some parts but other than that it was just boring. Maybe I was just expecting more out of the game than I recieved?[/color][/b]

I bought the game yesterday for 70 dollars! Personally i think that it was worth it for me because i LOVE sonic and KNUCKLES:D!!! The game itself is really cool. I give the creators and level designers a huge round of applause! The levels were really neat and the 3d effects and the other stuff make the game really fun. It also has its challenges. I havent beaten it yet but im pretty close with 1 team. You have to beat the game with every team because they all have different things and strategies in levels. I do think they could make it a little better but the graphics were amazing!!!!! It was a little too Kiddy(Its my first E rated game for Xbox... i have 13 Xbox games now.. lol) but it is intended for all ages so its all good. I like how you can use 3 guys and choose between them whenever you want. I give it a 9/10 for the total koolness! I love it and am addicted to it! I am close to beating it:D! Its worth the 70 bucks