OtakuBoards

Does anyone's parents (Other than mine) Disapprove of their child watching anime?

Bishie

Okay, heres another question. Its kinda pointless..but still! I HAD! to ask O_o.

My mother does not stop me from watching anime, im 17 lol ^__^ i doubt she could if she tried. BUT! do anyone elses parents dislike it? I know when i was alot younger she would try to talk me out of watching it, then got really bad when i started watching/reading Shounen-ai manga/anime. Apparently she thinks it will fry my brain and make me forget the real world.

I guess i really shouldn't have announced i was dying my hair hot pink, cutting it short to look like "Shuichi Shindou" and running away to Japan to find my Eiri *chuckles* Only joking, not ALL of that is true.

But so..anyway. Has this happened to anyone else before? and if it did, how did you feel about it?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=#808080]Please keep all anime related threads in Anime Lounge. ^_^

My parents have never had a problem with what I've watched, basically. They've never restricted me in that sense. If anything, I think my parents are happy that I have wide tastes when it comes to music/movies. I mean, you know...that's partly because they're the same way themselves. So, I've personally not had a problem. [/color]

My parents don't "adore" it, but I suppose they've come to accept it by now. My parents aren't the kind to say "no you can't watch that" -- they're more likely to say "I hope you grow out of that eventually"

But they haven't said that either... O_o

So I'm safe! ^__^

My folks don't really mind, but they do kind of wonder why I'm watching a cartoon. Then I explain, and they just shrug and I go back to watching Rurouni Kenshin, or Yu Yu Hakusho, or whatever (I don't bother with DBZ anyomre, it's all just repeats:nope:.)

Hitokiri Battosai

My parents dont like me watching it either. My parents whenever I watch Adult Swim and they here the characters cuss or something there like "What are you Watching" and like I have some DVDS that have swearing and a little nudity but I mean they dont like it. I hate them for that.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Agatio [/i]
[B]My parents dont like me watching it either. My parents whenever I watch Adult Swim and they here the characters cuss or something there like "What are you Watching" and like I have some DVDS that have swearing and a little nudity but I mean they dont like it. I hate them for that. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]That's an awful reason to hate your parents, just because they are looking out for you and being a bit protective. At least that shows that they care enough about you to keep an eye on what you're doing. Some children would kill to have parents like yours.

Even though your opinion differs, you should still respect your parents no matter what. Maybe that's just an issue you can talk to them about civily.[/color][/size]

Mine would probably be rather angry if they knew LOL, and I'm 19 but they don't want to think I've changed any from being 12.

As far as I know, they don't know that I'm as much of an otaku as I am, because I've tried to hide it and only reveal little bits of information so I'm not "lying" per se. For example, they know that I own and watched Spirited Away and that I love Hello Kitty items.

However, if they saw me watching Trigun, (especially the episode "And Now, Goodbye" with its MAJOR Vash fanservice, although despite that it's one of the best episodes in the series IMHO-they'd only think I was watching it "for the naked guy") I think the roof on our mobilehome would lift 10 feet and perform a full pirouette rotation, then I'd be a: looking for a new place to live or b: constantly being suspected and monitored.

Maybe in a few years I can be open about it, LOL: when I'm in another state or something. ~.^

I dont hate them, I love them very much. What I meant to say was that I dislike it when they try to stop from the things that I love to watch and that interests me. I dont hate them though, kind of a figure of speech.

My parents think it's childish, but only because when school starts again I'll be in high school, and that's fine. I'll watch whatever I wanna watch. That's it. My friend's sister hates it 'cuz her ex was into it, so she won't let her sis watch it.

Hmm... the only way I can watch Adult Swim stuff like Inuyasha and Trigun is by telling them I have homework to do and to turn the stereo up full volume so they won't hear the TV... My mum's cool bout it, but my dad will probably rip me to shreds if he sees me watching any anime(pfft... he used to watch anime as a kid too... every japanese kid does...) I think the worst anime that you can have your parents catch you watching is End of Evangelion :devil: :angel: ...

Guest Crimson Spider
Well, my mother doesn't mind. She thinks that they are funny. But my father is another story.

Since he is blinded by his own thoughts that he is a superior christian, he refuses to admit that not all animes are occultic, or anything else for that matter. He is just plain conviced that they are all either basically hentai or some extream violent thing like in the raiders of the lost ark when all the nazi's heads melt off. Something like that.

Yep... the battle scenes gory, the apolcalypse confusing and rated R, then theres the whole teenage sexuality thing implanted, and then of course theres the huge concept of religion flying around in there... god forbid I ever get caught with that.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crimson Spider [/i]
[B]Well, my mother doesn't mind. She thinks that they are funny. But my father is another story.

Since he is blinded by his own thoughts that he is a superior christian, he refuses to admit that not all animes are occultic, or anything else for that matter. He is just plain conviced that they are all either basically hentai or some extream violent thing like in the raiders of the lost ark when all the nazi's heads melt off. Something like that. [/B][/QUOTE]

Awwwwwww, I know kind of how you feel. I've seen what some of our more hyperfundamentalist and definitely misled people have done (especially that hate site Crossroad.to, where I'd bet your dad's getting that information) and I'd like to apologize on behalf of Christians: we're really not all like that. -^.^-

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bishie [/i]
[B]
My mother does not stop me from watching anime, im 17 lol ^__^ i doubt she could if she tried. BUT! do anyone elses parents dislike it? I know when i was alot younger she would try to talk me out of watching it, then got really bad when i started watching/reading Shounen-ai manga/anime. Apparently she thinks it will fry my brain and make me forget the real world.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Bish, I know you, like *personally* ^_~; And, I don't think you'll ever "fry" your brain, or remember the real world... you're in it, just not to much into it. . . that made no sense..

Okaaayyy. Well, my mom couldn't care less, she just thinks it's cartoons and asks why a 15 year old is still watching cartoons @_@; I try to explain...but, what I watch is not really hentai, but it has elements to it. Chobits, and Gravitation... my mom might oppose, but she can't stop me! ^_^;

Whenever my mom gets mad at me, she always brings up the fact that I'm thirteen and I'm watching stupid cartoons. She doesn't even want to see me drawing the stuff, for God's sake. I mean, I know a bunch of people at our school that are OBSESSED with Spongebob Squarepants. ::shudder:: My mom should have a talk with them before me.

My parents arent' all into it, either...kinda sucks...they just don't understand.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Maladjusted[/i]
I mean, I know a bunch of people at our school that are OBSESSED with Spongebob Squarepants.[/quote]

How dare you diss Spongebob Squarepants! J/K

But, honestly, i wish my parents would just not bother me about it. They do like the anime pictures i draw, though. ~.^

Guest Imsirion
Well, my mom knows I like anime/manga but she dosen't know how much I'm into it. Shes very protective so I usually buy "family appropriate" anime, as in no cussing,no extreme violence, etc. So I watch everything else on TV or at my friends. Or I buy anime on vhs so I only watch it in my room, so she dosen't get upset. I just by all kinds of manga though because shes glad to see me read. ^^ but its not like I'm hiding anything bad from her, I just like to keep her happy and it away from my brothers so they dont tell her I'm watching a "cartoon with cussing". :rolleyes: I'll just buy more of want I want when I move out. Oh, and she dose think its sort of childish.

Though my dad dosen't know because he really knows nothing about me. Works for me, though I'm sure he would also call it childish.

[size=1][color=violet]My sister, as you will all provbably know is eighteen, and Mum reckons she's far too old for anime, and she's getting that way with me too. Dad says it's silly and makes fun of it, but you can [i]just[/i] see him peering at the TV from behind the newspaper...
Anyway, so far, Mum isn't trying to stop us from watching anime, but she is really angry when DiMo buys the Yu-Gi-Oh Cards...
My friend Carla's Dad makes fun of her for drawing anime, watching anime, writing fanfics, humming ANY anime theme tune (YGO theme gets stuck in her head because it's on at like 8am), so I'm surprised she has any confidence left by now. Basically, he makes fun of her for liking anything he doesn't like, and seeing as they're guy and girl, I think that's not at all fair on her.

EDIT: - THIS JUST IN!!! It's like five minutes after I made this reply. Digital Moster (Alias DiMo) has just informed me that mother dearest is warming to the idea of the YGO cards!!! Just as long as she doesn't buy chocolate...[/size][/color]