OtakuBoards

Does anyone's parents (Other than mine) Disapprove of their child watching anime?

Bishie

yes! My parents seem to want to blame anime ad my otaku friends on my grades, etc. They also seem to think It's scary tat when we go to Medi Pla, they see adults in the 'anime' section pulling anime off of teh shelves. I don't really have the heart to tell him that most anime isn't centered on teens. ^_^;; Oh well...at least they do't stop me from buying DVD'...

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anime is for all ages... manga, anime, Japanese animations are not the same as cartoons and intended for kids... American parents need to get that through their head... watching anime is NOT childish.

Just thought id make a small note, my mum blames anime/manga for my bad grades too X_x! *dies* she just doesn't understand that algebra is pure evil and even if i didnt watch anime id still be failing *eye twitches*
She also blames it for my certain preferences and other things..but meh! she just doesnt understand. She still nags me about it, but as im getting older she tends to try and ignore it ^__^

Although i think shes still secretly worried im going to run away to Japan to do random bishounen stalking *cackles madly*

Gomen, random hyperness..end of algebra YAY!!! i may add a more..sane post later ^_^

Oh yeah! anyone, feel free to add me to their buddie list. Im still new to OB so i really dunno how to work it, but that doesnt matter!!

[COLOR=red]My parents HATE the face that I am an otaku and they do terrible things to try to stop me![/COLOR] [COLOR=seagreen]I'm serious. My mom hides my manga (either that or throws it out) and breaks my DVD's! I mean, it is really cruel. And I paid for them myself and everything. [/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]I've been an otaku for about a year, and my mom has been learning to deal with it, but I have to sneak around the house and hide it whenever I want to read/watch. It's depressing. [/COLOR] [COLOR=chocolate]All my dad does, however, is just say very dissapointedly that he wishes that I spent as much effort on anime as schoolwork. Oy, the... dysfunctional family-ness. Did I mention my door doesn't have a lock?[/COLOR]

hehehe, get a lock, friend. Get a lock. ~.^

Seriously, I really empathize with that. . .I hope they can understand soon, and I hope your mom stops destroying your stuff, unless it's all hentai, in which case I'm cheering her on ~.^

*chuckles* I tried getting a lock on my room, i have a younger sibling that rifles through my stuff *twitches and thinks of her cable and dvd player" my wonderfull stuff lol

Anime doesn't bother my mum as such really..only the animes such as "Fake" and "Gravi" BUT! im currently obsessed with "Fruits basket" so all is good ^_^ I think my mother tries to ignore the fact i have shounen-ai pictures plastered to my walls..etc etc O_o

Im sorry if this post makes no sense whatsoever, i've just finished a school production after months of rehearsing..I never thought id be this drained, the scary thing is-I'd jump to perform all week lol

Okay, that went waaaay off subject.

My mother could really care less if i watch anime or not.
unless of course i ask if i can eat my dinner while watching DBZ or something.

As for blaming anime for my bad grades.... my family doesn't blame anything, other than the person who got the bad grades.

People at school try to insult me by yelling something about any anime which they've seen and think is rubbish, but they kinda stopped once they figured out i didn't care what they said. :p

[color=violet][size=1]Violence? My mother thinks it's all about friendship and love for one another.... that's why she thinks it's cheezy and childish. Maybe if I showed her summin like Cowboy Beebop she'd approve... But unfortunately, I hate Cowboy Beebop. To adult and not happy enough.[/color][/size]

[color=teal]My mother thought I'd get over the anime phase with time and complete her dream of becoming a brain surgeon. Her jaw practically dropped when I told her that I was going to be an animator instead of being in the medical practitioning. She highly disapproves of my "senseless drawings," but doesn't negate them or slander them in any way. The only reason my mother doesn't like anime is because I love it. Friends at school love the way I draw, my mother does too, but she doesn't like the idea of me "throwing my life away for cartoons." She can't even stand to watch tidbits of anime.

Parents are confusing.[/color]

[color=violet][size=1]I know what you mean. Not only is animating what you want to do, but there's also some great cash in it! At least you didn't tell you mother that you were joining Greenpeace to save the whales [i]after[/i] I marry said nice Japanese boy... My mum wants me to be a plumber. A PLUMBER! I'm scared of spiders...
What about other people? Any of you guys' parents want you to get boring jobs?[/size][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MillieFan [/i]
[B]hehehe, get a lock, friend. Get a lock. ~.^

Seriously, I really empathize with that. . .I hope they can understand soon, and I hope your mom stops destroying your stuff, unless it's all hentai, in which case I'm cheering her on ~.^ [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=4]NEVER!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]
[COLOR=red]I'm sorry about that outburst, but I am the biggest anti-yaoi and hentai person on the planet, at least out of all the people I know.[/COLOR] [COLOR=limegreen]She took my Outlaw Star collection 1 (50 bucks down the drain) and half Outlaw Star collection 3 (20) she also took about 60 $ worth of manga. All of it, of course, I had to pay for myself.[/COLOR]
[FONT=century gothic]My room USED to have a lock, and then my mom broke down the door. (wood flew) [/FONT]
So now it would be impossible to get a lock. But I have two beds in my room, and I move one f them in front of the door because my mom can't break out of that. But it angers her and screws up the floor.

Find a very, very good hiding place and you should be fine. I have my anime stuff stashed away in so many random places that my parents can never find them, and I always forget where I put them -_- I come across these random stuff a year or two later after I hide them, and reminisce about old times lol :angel:

Wow, that really has to suck, Kurama_Fan!! I give you my sympathy. And don't hide anything under your mattress!!! parents know about that. Trust me. lol (my sister's friends... don't ask...)

and umm... what's yaoi? I know hentai, but what on earth is yaoi?? :confused: Sorry if I ask too many questions...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kenshingirl13 [/i]
[B]and umm... what's yaoi? I know hentai, but what on earth is yaoi?? :confused: Sorry if I ask too many questions... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I believe that it's guy on guy. Hmm, ask an expert. ^_^;

My parents watch anime with me. Aren't I lucky? They like all of it.

And I think the funniest one we ever watched together was Miyuki Chan in Wonderland. Now THAT was quite embarrassing, if I do say so myself.[/color][/size]

My parents don't care. My mom just asks me to watch my old ones, when I ask for a new series. It dosn't bother her that I watch it, just wishes I wouldn't spend so much money on it. My dad... I don't think he even knows I watch it. I watch all my dvds in my room, so he doesn't see it. My mom would kill me if she knew how much of her hard drive is wasted on the unliscened anime I watch :p. Hopefully though I'll get my own computer and she can have about 15GB back.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kurama_Fan [/i]
[B][SIZE=4]NEVER!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]
[COLOR=red]I'm sorry about that outburst, but I am the biggest anti-yaoi and hentai person on the planet, at least out of all the people I know.[/COLOR] [COLOR=limegreen]She took my Outlaw Star collection 1 (50 bucks down the drain) and half Outlaw Star collection 3 (20) she also took about 60 $ worth of manga. All of it, of course, I had to pay for myself.[/COLOR]
[FONT=century gothic]My room USED to have a lock, and then my mom broke down the door. (wood flew) [/FONT]
So now it would be impossible to get a lock. But I have two beds in my room, and I move one f them in front of the door because my mom can't break out of that. But it angers her and screws up the floor. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm anti-hentai and anti-yaoi too! As a matter of fact, I used to have an anti-hentai site (but it's offline until my boyfriend can find a new colocation host for his servers) and I'm currently building an anti-yaoi site.

Oh, by the way, yaoi is guy/guy, most times drawn by fans who even pair off *obviously* straight characters. Basically, the only requirement for fanart yaoi seems to be that the guys involved look good individually so, in the minds of yaoi artists, they must look "better" being sexually involved with another good looking guy or with themselves. It's really sickening IMHO. :flaming: :sick:

My parents really don't care what I watch, I don't even think they're aware...well my dad kinda is but he's so laid back it's untrue.

I don't particularly want to get onto a yaoi argument here, there's probably a completely different thread for that but it's just the same as pairing up non-canon hetro couples, why's it sickening?