OtakuBoards

OtakuBoards v7

James

[color=#335062]To coincide with the launch of theOtaku.com Version Next in early July, I am currently in the process of preparing the development of OtakuBoards v7.

Right now, there's not too much to say about it. It will use an all-new Virtual Bulletin software (vB3). And no, none of you will need to sign up again or anything; your accounts, posts, threads, attachments and so on will be saved and ported over.

However, OBv7 will be very new, in terms of its software and design. So, Justin Blessing and I will be developing a prototype board on another server, which we'll then use as a basis for OB itself.

The reason I'm creating this thread is because I want to get everyone's ideas about what they'd like to see in v7. You might simply want to see a new forum...or you might have a really wacky idea for some new interactive feature. Either way, I want to hear what you've got to say. Suggestions made in this thread could contribute to OBv7 -- to making it even more streamlined and suitable for all members.

If there are any questions, you can also ask them here. [/color]

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I would like to frag the e-mail notifications: I can check my User CP to check for new topics on my subscribed threads. I can't seem to find a way to be subscribed, but get no e-mail notifications at the same time. There should be an option for that.

Another thing: I liked the three interface options for v6 (You know, those "Style Sets"). I hope you will be able to retain two or three choices for v7.

[quote]There is an option for that. You must just not have all the right things selected. I've been here over a year and have yet to get any emails.[/quote] Well, yeah, I know there's an option for it. You know, it's "Use 'e-mail notification' by default?" option, but when you turn it off, it also turns off your subscription.

Hmmm... I guess I should say what I want to be able to do. Alright, I have just posted a few posts on several threads and go to sleep right after. The next morning, I want to see no e-mail notifications. However, when I get on to the forums, I want to be able to click on my user cp and see the active threads. Currently, you can't have one without the other: you either get e-mails AND see the active threads in your User CP, or you get NO e-mails and see no active threads in your User CP (since you are not subscribed to them).

Ah okay, I see what you mean. I misunderstood.

This is my suggestion. I know it won't even fly, but I want to get it out there.

I think we do not need 4 gaming sections. I do, however, think consoles and PC should be kept seperate because of the tech stuff that is included. So basically what I am suggesting is a console forum and a PC forum and that's it.

The console forums have been so slow that I just don't see a reason to justify them being seperate. I also think combining them all would lead to far greater discussion between all groups... because it leads Nintendo only fans to read Xbox threads and vice versa.

There would be confusion at first... but I think if things are labelled well, that will all be taken care of after some adjusting. The same with any other problems that may arise.

[quote]I think we do not need 4 gaming sections. I do, however, think consoles and PC should be kept seperate because of the tech stuff that is included. So basically what I am suggesting is a console forum and a PC forum and that's it.

The console forums have been so slow that I just don't see a reason to justify them being seperate. I also think combining them all would lead to far greater discussion between all groups... because it leads Nintendo only fans to read Xbox threads and vice versa.[/quote]I agree whole-heartedly! Haha, the XBox section has been so dead... Also, I notice that quite a few threads would belong best in, say, a "General Console Discussion" section than anywhere else. For example, there was a "Reputation of Nintendo" thread, and getting the opinion of just Nintendo fans instead all Otaku gamers doesn't give you an accurate/unbiased mindset on Nintendo.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]I think we do not need 4 gaming sections. I do, however, think consoles and PC should be kept seperate because of the tech stuff that is included. So basically what I am suggesting is a console forum and a PC forum and that's it.

The console forums have been so slow that I just don't see a reason to justify them being seperate. I also think combining them all would lead to far greater discussion between all groups... because it leads Nintendo only fans to read Xbox threads and vice versa.[/B][/QUOTE]

I think that's a good idea. Most of the gaming fans on OB are mature enough to handle a mixed console forum without it erupting into an all-out flame war. Hopefully, this idea will be seriously considered because the gaming forums have been getting pretty slow lately.

[color=#335062]Actually, I like the idea of collapsing all gaming discussion (console gaming, anyway) into one forum. It [i]would[/i] encourage a broader view of threads and I think it'd foster a greater sense of community there.

I mean, with everything together, Nintendo players are discussing Sony, Sony players are discussing Microsoft and so on.

I like the idea.

[/color]

It's funny, the Square Enix forum has more posts than any of the other console forums, i'm a supporter of Tony's idea.

I still would like to see the feature where you can pick what color/font/size the text in your posts will be within your User CP.

[quote]I still would like to see the feature where you can pick what color/font/size the text in your posts will be within your User CP.[/quote] I just want to emphasize this idea, with "size" left out. I'd rather not have my computer blasted with a giant "F," only to scroll down to read the next letter: "U." Maybe if there was a limited range, but I think the standard is just fine.

What about having your own midi or even mp3 play when someone looks at your profile? I say "even mp3" considering the huge space that OB, TheOtaku and Adam/James/tech staff have to play with now. So how about that idea? I also like the "Section Soundbytes" but i'm not sure if it will get a bit annoying and/or tacky :huh:. Well i'll try and think up some more ;).

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by AzureWolf [/i]
[B]I just want to emphasize this idea, with "size" left out. I'd rather not have my computer blasted with a giant "F," only to scroll down to read the next letter: "U." Maybe if there was a limited range, but I think the standard is just fine. [/B][/QUOTE]

lol, we have limited size.
[size=5]Size 5[/size]
[SIZE=4]Size 4[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Size 3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Size 2[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Size 1[/SIZE]

I think there's a few more. Just look around though, many people write in size 1, so it would help them out.

[color=indigo]If the soundbytes thing is used, I'd want there to be an option to turn them off; same with the profile themes. I hate it when there's sound on a website and no way to turn it off, especially if I'm already listening to music and it interferes. Perferably there'd be play/stop/volume controls for the profile themes right in the profile, too, to override your default setting. That way, if you didn't want to hear them automatically when you view the profile, you could turn them off in your options and then only listen to the ones you want using the controls in peoples' profiles.[/color]

[b]Edit:[/b]
[color=seagreen]Yeah, the sizes do go bigger than that. I think he's right, though, you shouldn't be able to set above size 2 in your profile. That would just get annoying.

[size=6]Size 6[/size]
[size=7]Size 7[/size][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DeathBug [/i]
[B]How about sound bytes? Like, every time you go to the Yu-Gi-Oh forum, Yami says "It's time to duel", or every time you go to the DBZ forum, Goku yells "Kamehameha", or some such thing. [/B][/QUOTE]
[size=1]Please no, I would go insane if I had to listen to Yugi saying "It's time to duel!" every time I checked in on the forum. Personally I think it is a waste of server space, just include the sound bytes on the Otaku sites or something...

Collapsing the Gundam forum into Anime Lounge would be nice.

-Shy[/size]

[size=1][color=crimson] I agree with shy, my speakers would have to be permanently turned off while browsing OB :p I think the idea of little sound bytes as you enter a forum would get cheesy and boring after a while.

I agree with Semjaza's idea of collapsing all the gaming forums. I think a greater deal of discussion could be achieved through that.

Other than that, i'd like to see the technology once talked about for v7, where you can upload your banner like your avatar. It's hard to find a reliable free host that doesn't diplay broken links or the infamous [i]image not found[/i] tag.[/size][/color]

[color=indigo]As I have said before, I think it would be nice to have default text, font, and size settings that one could access from his or her profile.

I am against sound bytes, because I think they will be insanly annoying, and I think that they would end up being the cause of a lot of tech problems in the future.

I also agree with Semjaza...I think that all of the console forums should be combined to help boost the gaming forum's popularity.[/color]

i have had- oh- a whole [size=3] 3 [/size] banners- but what i do is- well people genreally make them for me, and post them as attatchments. you linke that attatchment URL and that works. that way it is all on OB. if you made one yourself, you could even post it in Art and design- so you can link, and get feedback on it's quality!! and one problem that i encounter, is that i subscribe to threads... but when i next come in- i am not subscribed to them. it is really really annoying. apart from that, i think that OB works relatively well, but i still can't wait to see any improvements.

**************EDIT***************

Logout buttons at the bottom of each page!!! i really think those are a necessary improvement.!!!:D

spoiler? I swear it was the strike tag, you mean, Sara :p

Sound bytes in profiles? No. I seriously doubt James would allow that, it would definately make me avoid browsing in some forums.

[size=1]I'd like the option of choosing your colour, size, and type of font in the user Profile. It would make life so much easier, as long as you can override them on the post page, to do something like change colour and so on.

And to be able to upload banners like Avatars. ^_^ It's hard finding a place that will let you link your banner to them.

That's my say.[/size]

[font=gothic][color=crimson]Some kind of auto-spell checker. It is very, very desperately needed.

I agree with the idea about setting font, colour etc in profile, and the banner upload, but the idea of having annoying little catch phrases yelled at me every five minutes, I'd spend time with my friends.[/font][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lady Asphyxia [/i]
[B][size=1]I'd like the option of choosing your colour, size, and type of font in the user Profile. It would make life so much easier, as long as you can override them on the post page, to do something like change colour and so on.

And to be able to upload banners like Avatars. ^_^ It's hard finding a place that will let you link your banner to them.

That's my say.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dodgerblue]AMEN! I am basically going to repeat Asphy because I would love everything she said. I've been wishing for it for a while. Lol. >_^

-Kitty[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I would like to see maybe a Trigun forum and also maybe some putting different tags under the names of people. Like so you can make it what you want, [b][i]after[/i][/b] a newbie. I wanted to put mine as like Omnipotent or something like that. I remember my borther telling me that someone had theres like that, I forgot who though. So thoase are some of my ideas.

EDIT: As many people have already said, thd font/size/color thing would be nice. I dont like having to put [*color=red]blah blah blah[*color] everytime I want to change the color of what I am typing. So the color/font/size thing would be nice.