OtakuBoards

OtakuBoards v7

James

[color=#707875]And generally, dark text on a light background is actually physically easier to see (I read it somewhere lol). So again, that's why most sites use the white background with the black text...same for books and anything else.

Still, you can expect v7 to have a variety of textures, using different styles and colour themes. My hope is to cater to as many tastes as possible in that regard.[/color]

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest XBebop
Thanks. lol, becuase realy i like a black and maybe pink ( that is weird coming from a guy but i've seen other sites use it and it looks pretty cool..i don't mean make the text pink, just the banner. ). The text fo the forums can be white and stuff.

Or, Maybe a olive green layout for the forums, maybe a light blue, something like that to give it more variety.

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shy [/i]
[B][size=1]I was thinking that we could split up the Otaku Anime forums into two categories: Otaku Anime and Junior Otaku Anime. This would be done for two main reasons.
[list=1]

[*] To protect impressionable youth from the mature discussions such as "Sexiest Anime Character" that might arise.
[*] Conversely, the original Otaku Anime could focus more serious discussion rather than the favorites topics that younger members love to make.
[/list=1]
Basically any anime that is generally geared for members 13 years old and under would be discussed in Junior Otaku Anime. Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon are two of our most popular forums, but they obviously skew a much different audience than that of .hack//SIGN or Cowboy Bebop. Here is what I propose for the forums in each category.[list]
[*]Otaku Anime: Anime Lounge, .hack//SIGN, Evangelion, Gundam, Yu Yu Hakusho
[*]Junior Otaku Anime: Junior Anime Lounge, Dragonball, Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon
[/list]
Junior Otaku Anime would be a little less strict than Otaku Anime, since the members who viist it would obviously be less mature. We can't hold 13 year olds up to the same standards as 25 year olds, and that has always been a problem we faced when punishing members. So yeah, if you want to write sillier stuff then post in Junior Otaku Anime, and if you want to have mature discussions about mature anime stay in Otaku Anime.
[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]I find a lot of flaws in that. I think it's almost putting a label on members. It'd end up being "Mature Adults" vs. "Spammy Little Kids aka Juniors" (You said something yourself along those lines). Not every 13-year old is the same. Post quality varies in each member. You're right though, there are a bunch of spammy teens, but I find that thought almost stereotypical.
And what if an anime junior likes one of the mature categories? Good or bad discussions can come from any forum, I don't think it matters if it's juniors or mature people. OB enforces high post quality, and if that standard is kept strong, I see no need for junior forums because some young members don't read the rules.
Protection from threads such as "Sexiest Anime Character"? There are other things that could use protecting. Some words aren't censored that may be more of a concern.[/size]

[color=#707875]I don't know how workable Shy's idea is in the way it was originally intended.

However, I would like to see a large collapse of the anime forums. I'd like to seperate things in a logical manner. Having a "Senior Anime Lounge" and a "Junior Anime Lounge" might be a good idea if only in terms of seperating anime with different classifications.

But, I'm still very much undecided on the issue. It needs more time to develop, I think.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hyper [/i]
[B][size=1]I find a lot of flaws in that. I think it's almost putting a label on members. It'd end up being "Mature Adults" vs. "Spammy Little Kids aka Juniors" (You said something yourself along those lines). Not every 13-year old is the same. Post quality varies in each member. You're right though, there are a bunch of spammy teens, but I find that thought almost stereotypical.
And what if an anime junior likes one of the mature categories? Good or bad discussions can come from any forum, I don't think it matters if it's juniors or mature people. OB enforces high post quality, and if that standard is kept strong, I see no need for junior forums because some young members don't read the rules.
Protection from threads such as "Sexiest Anime Character"? There are other things that could use protecting. Some words aren't censored that may be more of a concern.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]
[size=1]Heh, I'm not saying that every member under 15 is a spamy little kid, obviously the Digimon forum is full of exceptions to that rules. Older members are [i]older[/i], so in some ways they should be expected to have a higher post quality than those who are considerably younger. The junior forums would mainly be intended for a younger membership, so the mods might let things be less strict. I'm not pro-segregation, but I do feel like it's hard to create an intelligent discussion in a forum where the overall quality is low. Take the Yu Yu Hakusho forum for example. the only threads there are generic and very spammy. While favorites threads might be a lot of fun to "tweens," I know a great deal of older members who would like to discuss their anime in a mature way.

These labels aren't written in stone, anyone is free to post anywhere they want. However, keeping 25 year olds out of the Yu-Gi-Oh forum wouldn't exactly be a bad thing. Conversely, any 12 year old who thinks they understand Neon Genesis Evangelion is just... annoying.

So yeah. Being young isn't a bad thing, and being older doesn't instantly mean you are smarter. Everyone is different, but in general I feel that both groups of members would enjoy having a little space apart from one another.

-Shy[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hyper [/i]
[B][size=1]I find a lot of flaws in that. I think it's almost putting a label on members. It'd end up being "Mature Adults" vs. "Spammy Little Kids aka Juniors" (You said something yourself along those lines). Not every 13-year old is the same. Post quality varies in each member. You're right though, there are a bunch of spammy teens, but I find that thought almost stereotypical.
Protection from threads such as "Sexiest Anime Character"? There are other things that could use protecting. Some words aren't censored that may be more of a concern.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

How can you be sure that someone is the age that they say they are? Not that it really matters that much. We've got to assume that people actually [I]do[/I] read the rules when they register for OtakuBoards, which means that spam, etc. should be treated the same way no matter who does it. And yes, there are some words that should be censored that currently aren't. I think this is becoming a big issue right now in the Otaku Lounge, especially with all of the threads about current events. When people get talking about, say, the death of Sadaam's sons, they can get emotional or start suggesting certain ways to torture enemies of America and certain body parts upon which to apply the torture. (let's just leave it at that ^_^)