OtakuBoards

FF7 plot holes/theories ( Spoilers contained, read in your own caution )

G/S/B Master

I Consider to make this topic merged with the other theory topic so tat all the theories/plot holes will be all in one topic

FF7 Plot hole

Now you all know that Sephiroth died and his dead corpesis laying around the lifestream right? Well while your chasing around Sephiroth's spirit there's a HUGE plot hole well you're in Shinra's Headquarters the first time.

Palmer said Sephiroth came in and killed the President right?? You see Sephiroth Masemune on his back. But his true masemune was laying around in the lifestream. Is it the real deal, or Palmer was really scared and drove into a paranoid freak? But Sephiroth could be Jenova in disguised as somewhere in the game, it said that Jenova can take place of anyone and anything. But the masemune blade is still a mystery. But the blood trail is freaky, very freaky.

FF7 Theories

Weapons

Now, on to the subjects of the Weapons. When released they seem to go on the rampage. However, it should be noted that two of them seem to have quite specific objectives: Diamond attacks Midgar and Sapphire(the unknown weapon) attacks Junon. These are the two largest Shinra cities, and the two greatest wounds of the Planet (discounting the Northern Crater which was sealed off). So it seems as if the Weapons were trying to destroy two major areas harming the Planet, not simply going on a mindless rampage. I think the idea that they are trying to bring more souls into the lifestream is quite unfounded, but that's just my opinion... As for the motives of Ultimate, Emerald and Ruby, it's hard to tell. However, one must remember that Emearald and Ruby were only added in for the American version, and were not originally meant to be in the plot, and Ultimate seemed to be in their mainly as a source for Cloud's Weapon and little thought seemed to have been put in to its creation. Diamond and Sapphire seem to be the only ones with any major role in the story.

Black/White materia Issue

Personally I think these have some link between them. The Black Materia summons Meteor, the Ultimate Destructive Magic. The White Materia summons Holy, the Ultimate Protective Magic. Both seem to be tools of the Ancients and are very powerful. their exact origin is unknown, but it seems as if they may have been created by the Ancients. One point to remember is that materia are condensed mako, or lifestream, and it is said that materia contain the knowledge and wisdom of the Ancients. Very little more is said about the White Materia, but perhaps more can be discerned about the Black... When the party visits the Temple of the Ancients Aeris says "This
is... the Temple of the Ancients... I... know... I feel it... The knowledge of the Ancients... floating... You could become one with the Planet, but you're stopping it with the strength of will. For the future? For us?" This implies that there are some souls which could become one with the Planet, but do not in order to protect something. We know that the Temple of the Ancients itself was the Black Materia.

My theory is that many Ancients gave up their lives to create the Black Materia. Which helps to prove the FF7/FF10 theory that Ginnylyn has. The souls of the Ancients, all joined together, formed the black Materia and it's great power. The White Materia is probably a couterpart of it. These two materia were great weapons the Ancients formed for times of great need. It may be that they were created after Jenova was sealed off, in case Jenova should ever escape.

Any more theories/plot holes for FF7?

Well, i don't have a theory, or plothole, as much as just basic information. Sometimes people misinterpret what all happened to Sephiroth, i know i did. I found this a great source of information on the game: [url]http://www.rpgamer.com/editor/2003/q2/042103aa.html[/url]

2 things G/S/B Master:

1)There is no Sapphire Weapon. The Weapon that attacked Junon was Ultima Weapon, which even though its head was blown off still lived. Then it attacked Mideel due to the lifestream appearing. Diamond weapon attacked Midgar because it was attempting to shoot the Crater. It was protecting the Crater. As for Emerald it was the weapon that shot the Gelninka down (The ship that shot down).

2)The real Sephiroth was killed by Cloud in the Nibelheim Reactor and somehow his body was perserved in Mako at the Crater. As for the Sephiroth that killed President Shinra, he was a spirit supposedly brought by Jenova, allowing him to go through walls and fly. As for the Masamune I don't know.

Anyways, here is my own opinion on something: Vincent Valentine.

I got friends who says he's a vampire. Well their wrong! Vincent is not a vampire. Just becasue he wears dark clothing doesn't mean that he is a vampire. As for the demons, they were injected into him by Hojo as he experimented on him.

Speaking of the demons, here is my own theory:

I believe that the demons were the first Cetra(Ancients)that were infected with Jenova's virus. As the virus spread it eventually got weaker making weaker monsters. Then Shinra eventually used it and the Mako to create powerful soldiers while the failed ones become monsters, but were kept in capsules at the Nibelheim reactor, but they got realeased.

Well, those are my theories and opinons.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The (Sic) Shape [/i]
[B]2 things G/S/B Master:

1)There is no Sapphire Weapon. The Weapon that attacked Junon was Ultima Weapon, which even though its head was blown off still lived. Then it attacked Mideel due to the lifestream appearing. Diamond weapon attacked Midgar because it was attempting to shoot the Crater. It was protecting the Crater. As for Emerald it was the weapon that shot the Gelninka down (The ship that shot down).

2)The real Sephiroth was killed by Cloud in the Nibelheim Reactor and somehow his body was perserved in Mako at the Crater. As for the Sephiroth that killed President Shinra, he was a spirit supposedly brought by Jenova, allowing him to go through walls and fly. As for the Masamune I don't know.

Anyways, here is my own opinion on something: Vincent Valentine.

I got friends who says he's a vampire. Well their wrong! Vincent is not a vampire. Just becasue he wears dark clothing doesn't mean that he is a vampire. As for the demons, they were injected into him by Hojo as he experimented on him.[/B][/QUOTE]

1)I just called the unknown weapon Sapphire because of his color. Jeez, and also if it isn't the weapon's real name, so what. I just nicknamed it Sapphire just for fun.

2) Good point.... Probleby one of his supporters killed him. Thats my 2 cents.

Vincent/vampire: AHAHAH!!! You got yourselves some clueless friends. Vincent, like you said, was injected. By Jenova Cells by the way.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GinnyLyn [/i]
[B]Now, that, my friend, was an eye opener and a brain clarifier. (I read all the ShinRa library books and I [i]still[/i] didn't pick up on the Phase II/III bit, bleh.)

Read. Now. You should. [/B][/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the thing i posted Ginny? If so, it helped me understand [i]why[/i] the game was so good, i was just oblivious to it.

[b][size=1]
Ooooh.. that was eye-opening.. *stops bad-mouthing Cloud*

But I think Cloud never actually killed Sephiroth. I think he just knocked him out and into the lifestream, and he just floated his way to the Northern Crater. I mean, doesn't it make sense as well if he was just using Jenova to make himself a physical temporary form?[/b]

Bleh. *stops trying to explain something that won't come out right, and probably isn't right anyhoo*[/size]

Yeah, what you posted, Zeh.

I too thought Cloud was a pathetic, whiney, angsty jerk, up until I read this editorial. Makes me want to go back and play the game again so I can appreciate the tragic hero position Cloud is in.

Cloud killed Sephiroth. It defies my mind how he could still possibly toss Seph over after being run through, by the Masamune, no less, but as the article points out, Cloud has much more potential than anyone ever gave him credit for.

The other Sephiroth was definitely a spirit. It was probably a dramatic twist on Square's part for JENOVA to use Seph, and then again, it probably wasn't. JENOVA had Sephiroth in its reach, and Seph could get places no one else could. As for the Masamune that killed ShinRa, it could have been the real one or a spiritual version--spirits, in this game, aren't necessary intangible.

Years ago I read an awesome fan story about how Vincent got to where he is. I wish to stuff that I knew where it was, but it captured the essence of Vincent well. I know Hojo experimented on him, but I forget what exactly Vincent was injected with. Whatever it was (I guess it was JENOVA cells *memory is foggy*), it had the same effect as it did on the monsters in the Nibelheim reactor. Recall that all of Vincent's Limit Breaks turn him into monsters, uncontrollable ones at that. So Vincent, like Cloud, should also be recognized as a strong individual to resist JENOVA's influence.

And I'm glad someone finally helped me to understand FF7 in its entirety. Square made the story a little too confusing for us lesser brained ones. ^_~ (Betcha my English teacher would have picked up on it--that's just how English teachers are, bleh.)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by G/S/B Master [/i]
[B]I Consider to make this topic merged with the other theory topic so tat all the theories/plot holes will be all in one topic

FF7 Plot hole

Now you all know that Sephiroth died and his dead corpesis laying around the lifestream right? Well while your chasing around Sephiroth's spirit there's a HUGE plot hole well you're in Shinra's Headquarters the first time.

Palmer said Sephiroth came in and killed the President right?? You see Sephiroth Masemune on his back. But his true masemune was laying around in the lifestream. Is it the real deal, or Palmer was really scared and drove into a paranoid freak? But Sephiroth could be Jenova in disguised as somewhere in the game, it said that Jenova can take place of anyone and anything. But the masemune blade is still a mystery. But the blood trail is freaky, very freaky.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Well the scenario is that Sephiroth got into one of the top floors of Shinra HQ (most likely flew in) and released the rest of Jenova's body, and upon making his way towards President Shinra he must have killed a lot of people along the way, hence the blood marks, etc.

I believe the sword was indeed Sephiroth's Masamune blade, and that Sephiroth did indeed kill the president, though some parts could have been explained better, enough is known to pretty much see this as the most likely scenario to what had happened.

[B]
FF7 Theories

Weapons

Now, on to the subjects of the Weapons. When released they seem to go on the rampage. However, it should be noted that two of them seem to have quite specific objectives: Diamond attacks Midgar and Sapphire(the unknown weapon) attacks Junon. These are the two largest Shinra cities, and the two greatest wounds of the Planet (discounting the Northern Crater which was sealed off). So it seems as if the Weapons were trying to destroy two major areas harming the Planet, not simply going on a mindless rampage. I think the idea that they are trying to bring more souls into the lifestream is quite unfounded, but that's just my opinion... As for the motives of Ultimate, Emerald and Ruby, it's hard to tell. However, one must remember that Emearald and Ruby were only added in for the American version, and were not originally meant to be in the plot, and Ultimate seemed to be in their mainly as a source for Cloud's Weapon and little thought seemed to have been put in to its creation. Diamond and Sapphire seem to be the only ones with any major role in the story.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I thought it was pretty well known as to what the Weapons objectives were? Well, in any case....

It is true that the Weapons true purpose is to eliminate anything harming the planet, Midgar was targeted by Diamond Weapon, and Junon was targeted by Emerald Weapon and NOT Saphire weapon, there is no Saphire weapon in FF7 and in all of my research I could not find any proof that the Weapon which had attacked Junon was anything other than Emerald Weapon.

I know people will now say 2 things to try and prove me wrong....

1. The Weapon got it's head blown off

2. The Weapon which attacked Junon is a different colour to the Weapon in the water

Well, there are quite simply answered and I myself am surprised that some people did not pick up on this. As for the Weapon getting it's head blown off, simple, it was NOT killed, if you play close attention when you are fighting Emerald Weapon, it does NOT have a head.

As for the different colours of the two Weapons, it can be anything really, a colour change because of the water or something, but the most notable thing is that the 2 Weapons look very much alike, so why people thought it was a different Weapon altogether is beyond me.

[B]
Black/White materia Issue

Personally I think these have some link between them. The Black Materia summons Meteor, the Ultimate Destructive Magic. The White Materia summons Holy, the Ultimate Protective Magic. Both seem to be tools of the Ancients and are very powerful. their exact origin is unknown, but it seems as if they may have been created by the Ancients. One point to remember is that materia are condensed mako, or lifestream, and it is said that materia contain the knowledge and wisdom of the Ancients. Very little more is said about the White Materia, but perhaps more can be discerned about the Black... When the party visits the Temple of the Ancients Aeris says "This
is... the Temple of the Ancients... I... know... I feel it... The knowledge of the Ancients... floating... You could become one with the Planet, but you're stopping it with the strength of will. For the future? For us?" This implies that there are some souls which could become one with the Planet, but do not in order to protect something. We know that the Temple of the Ancients itself was the Black Materia.

My theory is that many Ancients gave up their lives to create the Black Materia. Which helps to prove the FF7/FF10 theory that Ginnylyn has. The souls of the Ancients, all joined together, formed the black Materia and it's great power. The White Materia is probably a couterpart of it. These two materia were great weapons the Ancients formed for times of great need. It may be that they were created after Jenova was sealed off, in case Jenova should ever escape.

[/B][/QUOTE]

If you followed the game more closely you would have noticed that the story stated that most of the Ancients were killed thanks to Jenova, and many more died trying to seal Jenova away

Any more theories or plot holes I'll try my best to answer

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i]
[B]It is true that the Weapons true purpose is to eliminate anything harming the planet, Midgar was targeted by Diamond Weapon, and Junon was targeted by Emerald Weapon and NOT Saphire weapon, there is no Saphire weapon in FF7 and in all of my research I could not find any proof that the Weapon which had attacked Junon was anything other than Emerald Weapon.

2. The Weapon which attacked Junon is a different colour to the Weapon in the water

Well, there are quite simply answered and I myself am surprised that some people did not pick up on this. As for the Weapon getting it's head blown off, simple, it was NOT killed, if you play close attention when you are fighting Emerald Weapon, it does NOT have a head.
[/B][/QUOTE]

*smacks his head* Ok this is going to be another weapon dicussion war.

Ok, In the Junon, the guy didn't have a huge torso like you battle emerald Weapon. If you look closely during the battle of Emerald, You can see it's head shooting the lasers at you. I don't think Emerald had riffles or tails coming out from his back and rear-behind when you see him swimming. I'd doubt that it was blown off by the Junon cannon lol.

[B]As for the different colours of the two Weapons, it can be anything really, a colour change because of the water or something, but the most notable thing is that the 2 Weapons look very much alike, so why people thought it was a different Weapon altogether is beyond me.
[/B][/QUOTE]

It was a different weapon because when you see when the weapons were summoned, you see FIVE lasers shooting out and you see the weapons except the fifth one. The 2 Weapons looked different when the WEAPON showed it torso. It didn't have a hole and some sphere like figure in it like Emerald weapon.

Maybe I should stop shouting back at people to prove my point. I'm still searching in my brain for plot holes/theories.

[B]Well the scenario is that Sephiroth got into one of the top floors of Shinra HQ (most likely flew in) and released the rest of Jenova's body, and upon making his way towards President Shinra he must have killed a lot of people along the way, hence the blood marks, etc.

I believe the sword was indeed Sephiroth's Masamune blade, and that Sephiroth did indeed kill the president, though some parts could have been explained better, enough is known to pretty much see this as the most likely scenario to what had happened.

I thought it was pretty well known as to what the Weapons objectives were? Well, in any case....

It is true that the Weapons true purpose is to eliminate anything harming the planet, Midgar was targeted by Diamond Weapon, and Junon was targeted by Emerald Weapon and NOT Saphire weapon, there is no Saphire weapon in FF7 and in all of my research I could not find any proof that the Weapon which had attacked Junon was anything other than Emerald Weapon.

As for the different colours of the two Weapons, it can be anything really, a colour change because of the water or something, but the most notable thing is that the 2 Weapons look very much alike, so why people thought it was a different Weapon altogether is beyond me.

If you followed the game more closely you would have noticed that the story stated that most of the Ancients were killed thanks to Jenova, and many more died trying to seal Jenova away

Any more theories or plot holes I'll try my best to answer [/B][/QUOTE]

The Weapon that attacked Junon was Ultimate Weapon. If you've forgotten, Rufus and Heidagger(however you spell it) say that its Ultimate Weapon. Even though its head was blown off it still lived.

As for Emerald Weapon, it does have a head. How else would it breathe fire from its mouth and attack you with it.

Dont believe me? Well I have proof. Emerald and Ruby Weapon were addded in the American version so they dont exist in the japanese version so how could Junon be attacked by Emerald in the japanese version and you claim that Emerald attacked Junon in the American version. The story wasnt changed for either version, only the weapons were added.

Those of you who are confused with the Weapons, here is a list.

Both Versions: 1.Ultimate Weapon: Attacked Junon and Mideel.
2.Diamond Weapon: Attacked Midgar
American Version: 3.Emerald Weapon: Remains underwater and possibly shot down the Gelnika (The ship underwater found with the sub).
4.Ruby Weapon: Remains in the desert around the Gold Saucer.

Now because the two weapons were added you could get items by beating them and giving them to the Kalm Traveler for things that are of use to you. By beating Emerald you get a harp( i think) and the travler gives you Master Materia. Beating Ruby gets you the Desert Rose where the traveler will give you a not-very-fast gold chocobo.

If anyone argues about this then i will be willing to reply to them.

[color=indigo]Well, there's one very big problem with saying that Ultimate WEAPON was the one to attack Junon. That is, the WEAPON that attacks Junon and Ultimate WEAPON look [i]extremely[/i] different. Ultimate WEAPON is a black dragon, while the WEAPON that attacked Junon was a blue thing shaped entirely different and with fins, not arms and wings.

Personally, I think Emerald was the one to attack Junon. Emerald looks the most like the one in the CG movie, especially after its head is blown off. (My main reason for thinking the Emerald and the WEAPON that attacks Junon are the same, not to mention they both seem to live in the water). It's possible that they changed the CG movie in the US version to have Emerald WEAPON attack Junon instead of Ultimate or Diamond. I mean, they changed the CG movie of the WEAPONs coming out of the crater to show the two new ones, so why not the one for Junon?

I think the only thing that would make me believe there are five WEAPONs in FFVII is if Square Enix came right out and said there are five, or if I see the CG movie of the WEAPON attacking Junon in the Japanese version and it's the same WEAPON as in the US version. (In which case it couldn't be Emerald, since Emerald isn't in the Japanese version, like you said).[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]Well, there's one very big problem with saying that Ultimate WEAPON was the one to attack Junon. That is, the WEAPON that attacks Junon and Ultimate WEAPON look [i]extremely[/i] different. Ultimate WEAPON is a black dragon, while the WEAPON that attacked Junon was a blue thing shaped entirely different and with fins, not arms and wings.

Personally, I think Emerald was the one to attack Junon. Emerald looks the most like the one in the CG movie, especially after its head is blown off. (My main reason for thinking the Emerald and the WEAPON that attacks Junon are the same, not to mention they both seem to live in the water). It's possible that they changed the CG movie in the US version to have Emerald WEAPON attack Junon instead of Ultimate or Diamond. I mean, they changed the CG movie of the WEAPONs coming out of the crater to show the two new ones, so why not the one for Junon?

I think the only thing that would make me believe there are five WEAPONs in FFVII is if Square Enix came right out and said there are five, or if I see the CG movie of the WEAPON attacking Junon in the Japanese version and it's the same WEAPON as in the US version. (In which case it couldn't be Emerald, since Emerald isn't in the Japanese version, like you said).[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Well there is a reason why the Weapon in the CG that attacked Junon and the Ultimate Weapon look different: Its because of the graphics!
I will always say that it is Ultimate Weapon until I die.

And even if it was Emerald it isnt purple and its head doesnt stick up into the air but remains between its. It also doesnt have a huge horn like Ultimate Weapon.

Also, there is only four Weapons, not five.

The CG of Emerald attacking Junon was not changed for US/Europe release, it remained the same as the Japanese version.

I know this because I own FF7 International.

Square obviously didn't decide to just "throw" 2 new Weapons into the mix for the US version, these thing's are pre-planned a long time before release.

[B]Well there is a reason why the Weapon in the CG that attacked Junon and the Ultimate Weapon look different: Its because of the graphics!
I will always say that it is Ultimate Weapon until I die.

And even if it was Emerald it isnt purple and its head doesnt stick up into the air but remains between its. It also doesnt have a huge horn like Ultimate Weapon.

Also, there is only four Weapons, not five. [/B][/QUOTE]

5 weapons. If you saw the sequence where the weapons were summoned, 5 lights were shown.

WEAPON attacked Junon. Not Ultimate Weapon. Ultimate weapon is a black dragon. Besides, the weapon that atack Junon doesn't have wings, riffles are shown in his shoulder blades, and has a really deformed face. Even if it was blown off by the Junon cannon. Besides, it couldn't be different because the graphics sucked, Ultimate weapon was attacking Mideel and it had the same graphics as the one when WEAPON attacked.

I think G/S/B's right here, it's WEAPON. I remember them stating somewhere in the game that there was a weapon called WEAPON, i think it was between Heidigger and that girl, they said WEAPON was attacking...

I'm a bit fuzzy, it's been a few years since i've seen the scene.

[color=indigo]Yes, when it's attacking Junon, they just refer to it as "WEAPON." I don't think there's any time in the game that they refer to any WEAPON by their actual names, though. They just call them all WEAPON. So I don't think that's evidence that there's a fifth one just called WEAPON.

And about the five lights coming out of the crater, yes, I know about that. I don't think those are the WEAPONs, however. If they are, that means there's six WEAPONs, not five, which I don't think anyone here believes. Why? Because Ultimate WEAPON flies off [i]before[/i] those five light beams shoot out of the crater. Meaning that if those beams of light are WEAPONs, there's five other WEAPONs besides Ultimate. That leads me to my question, where's the sixth WEAPON, then? If you want to count those light beams as WEAPONs, then there's six, not five.

As for it being Utlimate WEAPON that attacks Junon, I'm sorry, but that's just silly. I mean, you [i]see[/i] Ultimate WEAPON in the CG scene where the WEAPONs are coming out of the crater. It's a big black dragon, just like it looks with the in-game character model. The difference between the CG and in-game graphics can't be used to justify someone thinking it's Ultimate that attacks Junon; it just doesn't work.

But, the difference in color and detail between the WEAPON attacking Junon and Emerald WEAPON can quite easily be justified by the difference. I mean, okay, so it's a slightly different color. Two reasons, actually, why I think it's that way. First, the CG model of it is obviously going to be a lot more detailed, so it would be reflecting colors from its surroundings. (Ie, the ocean, which looks blue in that scene). Second, when you fight Emerald WEAPON, it's down below the surface. I don't know if any of you have seen pictures of stuff down deep like that in the ocean, but stuff like that, that's reflective, tends to have a greenish hue to it, from all the algea and plankton and stuff in the water. So if you wanted to get that technical about the color, there are two good reasons why it could be different between the CG and in-game models.

Last but certainly not least, the shape. If you look (and I have a screen shot in my players guide of this, so I'm absolutely sure about it), the WEAPON that attacks Junon looks a lot like Emerald does, after its head is blown off. It's got that nice hole where its head should be, and has those two wing-looking-like things sticking off to the side. And if you [i]really[/i] look at Emerald while you're fighting it, it sure looks to me like there's more of a hole than an actual head. Again, I've seen screen shots and also fought it myself and seen others fight it.[/color]

[b]Edit:[/b]
[color=seagreen]Fine with me. I'm not the one that started the debate, I'm just stating and defending my opinion.[/color]

[B]Look I dont care anymore. Like I said believe what you want to believe. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Yeah, I know, but you posted while I was writing my previous post. Hence the editted in note. I won't discuss it anymore if no one else wants to, but I'm not about to delete a post that I spent a long time on.[/color]

[i][b][color=red]ENOUGH![/color][/b][/i]

This thread is about all of FF7's plot holes and such, not just the WEAPONS. The (Sic) Shape, try not to sulk too much, and the rest of you, heh, well, as you can see, we all have deep theories, so unless someone can find [i]concrete proof[/i], let's all believe what we want, like (Sic) says.

Question: The W-Item thing. Was that a purposeful mistake or was it a glitch?

[color=indigo]Hmm, I always have kinda wondered about that, since there's a very similar trick in FFIV that lets you duplicate any equip-able items. Still, I think it is just a glitch. I wouldn't think they'd put something like that in on purpose, and also FFIV is the only other game I know of with a glitch like that.[/color]

Actually, I ran into a similar glitch in FFVI for the SNES (nothing like this ever happened to me in the PS version). When I was at Kefka's Tower, I turned on my game and all of a sudden, I see that I have a ton of rare items and armor that I hadn't even heard of before. To this day, I have never been able to find out exactly why that glitch happened.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the glitch also duplicated all of the items that I had and made 99 (the maximum) of each item.

It could of been the way you put the cart in, the SNES is like that sometimes.

Another funny glitch, i was just telling Desbreko about it. In FFVI (the SNES one), go on the Veldt with Gau and Realm, when Gau comes back, sketch him.

Remember, this'll corrupt your file, so make a copy ;)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Zeh [/i]
[B]It could of been the way you put the cart in, the SNES is like that sometimes. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's probably it. It only happened to me once, so that seems like a reasonable explanation.

And I've never tried sketching Gau before...does it only work on the SNES version?