OtakuBoards

[/newbie]

TheShinje

[size=1] [spoiler][color=yellow]I have a small idea for the rankings of members.

It seems like the genral consensus of newbies is that the title "newbie" is somewhat derogatory, I've seen newbies asking the members here how much longer it's going to be until they pass the newbie stage, and some even put it in their sigs (I think there's one guy who's been here for 2 years, and he mentions in his sig after all this time he's still a newbie.)

I don't see the problem myself ([b]n00b11!!o_O;;11...;;**![/b], now that's derogatory lol). I had no problem with being a newbie, but if so many people hate the title, then I suggest we drop it. Have something like "OB Member" for the newbie/junior member/member stage.

or you could have something like "OB member" for [b]Everyone![/b] But it depends on how much your title means to you i guess.

What do you think of this idea?[/size][/spoiler][/color]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dodgerblue]I think Newbie is a good title. It lets people know if the are new, without seeing there post count. The titles separate the people and I dunno. Titles don't matter to me, but Newbie isn't that big of a deal. People who have a problem with it should realize its JUST a title.

-Kitty[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

It's important that people are treated the same despite their status, but the titles are there for a reason: when you are a Newbie, everything is pretty new to you, and as people see you're one, they don't necessarily expect as much from you as they do from people at their status. And like in real life, in here too respect (and the title) must be earned. If you post well, interact and stuff, your post count will increase, and soon you'll get a new title.

It's an exciting feeling when you get a new title, you think "Wow, I've really earned this!"

Sure, we could be all just members, but then it would be harder to for example see who has been here longer, and simple post counts are rather dull.

Okay, my reasons might be a bit lame, but I support the titles. They have a meaning.

Frankly I see no problem with being listed as a "Newbie." That is only a rank and really means nothing. I no longer consider myself a newbie because I have been here long enough to understand many things and to get to understand some people.

Perhaps, though, things could be set up to allow the member to choose their rank at the begining (i.e. "Newbie," "OB Member," etc.) and to leave it at that until they gain enough posts to "level up" (for lack of a better term).

I guess it all depends on one's point of view.

I think people should just stop being whiners about something that doesn't even matter.

It's a title that changes based on how much you write, not how intelligent that writing is. Frankly, there are some Otaku who probably are still at a stereotyped "newbie" intelligence.

I hated the newbie thing...

I think it would be good if you changed it somethijg like:

New member=100post
Juniormember=50-100post
Memeber=100-250post
King=250-500
Otaku=250-1000
Extreme otaku=1000-2000
No life=2000-3000
I live here=3000-the end

Just a lil' suggestion. I really couldn't care about the order or how many post to this and that. But, just a lil' thing...

Guest Taylor Hewitt
This is how I always have it on my forums:
Newbie 0-50
Junior Member 50-250
Member 250-500
Senior Member 500-1000
God 1000+
Something like that its so low because i never had too many members

I saw someone mention this in the suggestions thread. I'm currently a newbie and I could care less. Titles don't matter at all to me, so I think you should just leave it alone. It would be a big waste of time to change the ranks just because someone is offended by the word newbie. Since when is the word newbie offensive anyway?

[COLOR=red]I like being a newbie,and I soon to be a Junior Member,and that makes me happy :D.I felt new,and knew I'll break a couple rules,but I would learn from that.Some people give you the same respect as a I Live Here....o_O;;; no wait as a member.Anyway don't really care if I'm a newbie,and I don't take it offensive.Really it only gets offensive when someone calls you a newbie,really when themselves is a newbie.They should take the time to look at your username and type it,but most people do that any way.

Good Bye for now!-jumps on a gaint flying turkey.

Oh....I feel no need to remove the Newbie title!.[/COLOR]

Well, I started only a few days ago, so I know that I'm in for a long haul with bein' a newbie. But it really doesn't bother me at all.

Bein' a newbie ain't all that bad, but many people think so. Why, I will probably never know, but oh well. I'm to lazy to care about bein' a newbie or not.

Later! ~A newbie, and proud of it!~

Really, the titles don't even matter that much (though I have to admit, I was kinda happy when I became a Junior Member the other day). There are Newbies who can write with (or close to) the intelligence and quality of some of the older members and there are high-ranking members who don't write that well. All high post counts mean is that the members posts a lot. It doesn't give any indication of how 'good' each individual post really is. Of course, there are people like me who break a couple rules in the beginning and make a few spammy posts (and believe me, I did my share of that), but eventually get on track.

Guest Suzaku
i dont really care about bein a newbie i never really thought about it eather but that might be because i just joined(day or 2 ago)o well

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Justin [/i]
[B]Personally, I had to go through th 'newbie' title here...three times, lol.

It's kind of a rite-of-passage, I say.

-Justin [/B][/QUOTE] [SIZE=1]Just twice for me, heh. ^_~

But on v1, there were several newbie titles... 'Newbie', 'fast newbie,' 'cool newbie'...I think those were all titles under 100 posts, as well...although I can't be sure. ^_~

Personally, I think [b]Cool Newbie[/b] is an [i]awesome[/i] title. I'd like to see it brought back. [/SIZE]

[color=#707875]I'm looking at several ideas for v7, relating to titles.

I've been thinking of totally revamping our user titles and changing them completely (perhaps adding more titles with smaller intervals between them).

However, it might be confusing for people with higher post counts. That is, we're not all starting at zero once again. Still, we'll see how it goes. I always thought that Newbie was a cool title, because everyone starts there and eventually grows out of it. ~_^[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=#707875]I always thought that Newbie was a cool title, because everyone starts there and eventually grows out of it. ~_^[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

There's a fantastic euphoria when you break out of being a Newbie. I'd be tempted to do it again just for that :p

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solo Tremaine [/i]
[B]There's a fantastic euphoria when you break out of being a Newbie. I'd be tempted to do it again just for that :p [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#707875]Yeah, you have a sense of satisfaction when you move beyond that title, huh?

That's kinda why I like it. It's like you've passed your initiation and been welcomed into the community. ~_^

It's like learning a new language or something. o_O;[/color]

The idea of having a title that changes with the length of time you are on the Boards sounds good. But is there an option that allows you to do that--to gauge how much you actually spend on OB and transfer that into..."title fodder"...for lack of a better word?
The only problem with that is the potential spammability--leave your computer on OB overnight, and you're through the roof, time wise. *goes back to drawing board*

Frankly, I never found the title Newbie to be insulting. And as it has been mentioned, some Newbies still deserve that title, what with their two word posts and near illegible spelling and grammar.

Brainsizzle!
Would there be some way to have Staff keep an eye out for up and coming posters? Those that show potential would be moved up the ranks a little faster. I know this would be a drag on Staff, but perhaps you could make several jobs solely for the purpose of watching who posts well. It would encourage members to be on their "best behavior", as it were, and eventually become a community behavior to post well.
The only problem with that is:
a. the chance of overlooking a good poster.
b. the chance of people complaining that Staff is playing favorites.

Just an idea. Or is Ginny thinking too hard?

Why do we even need titles at all? They serve no purpose. They're just as meaningless as post counts. I don't see why we need anything more than the current "Registered" field, honestly. Just call everyone either a member or some sort of staff, or something to that extent.

All these fields seem so pointless. Either people think they aren't important, or people ***** about having them.

Anyway, personally, I don't support any idea that has members or mods giving points (or whatever, some sort of rank basically) to anything. There's too much of a chance to abuse it and play favorites.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solo Tremaine [/i]
[B]There's a fantastic euphoria when you break out of being a Newbie. I'd be tempted to do it again just for that :p [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1] Yeah, i know what you mean Solo. I also had an even bigger sense of euphoria when i broke out of "Junior member"

OK, it seems that most newbies don't mind the title as much as I thought they did. I think newbie is a cool title as well. so I like James' idea of shortening the times between the ranks.

Just keep "no life" in there OK, I've been hoping to post enough to get that cool title for a while now. :p [/size]

Heh - I don't mind being labeled as a newbie... that's what I am. I think people place too much emphasis on what the titles read, and in turn what they mean.
I've read "Otaku" posts that have made zero sense and had broken various board rules, and I've seen "Newbie's" rise up to Member status in lightning speed by posting one sentence ridiculous posts, eh. The titles really don't mean much - it's really just a gauge as to how many posts you've done.
Shrug, the only title that matters is Moderator.

Guest Fiasco
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shinji Ikari [/i]
[B][size=1] [spoiler][color=yellow]I have a small idea for the rankings of members.

It seems like the genral consensus of newbies is that the title "newbie" is somewhat derogatory, I've seen newbies asking the members here how much longer it's going to be until they pass the newbie stage, and some even put it in their sigs (I think there's one guy who's been here for 2 years, and he mentions in his sig after all this time he's still a newbie.)

I don't see the problem myself ([b]n00b11!!o_O;;11...;;**![/b], now that's derogatory lol). I had no problem with being a newbie, but if so many people hate the title, then I suggest we drop it. Have something like "OB Member" for the newbie/junior member/member stage.

or you could have something like "OB member" for [b]Everyone![/b] But it depends on how much your title means to you i guess.

What do you think of this idea?[/size][/spoiler][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Uh, its a good idea, although I don't think people will be pleased because some people like the diversity of titles that OB offers.

Also, your probably talking about me, I'm the Infamous Forte. I HAVE been at OB for 2 years, but under different names. Reasons being I was uh banned a few times, but I'm a good kid now so =D By now if you counted all the posts I've had...It's would be near 4k. So yeah, lots of them were spam though ;_;

• 2 weeks later...