OtakuBoards

[/newbie]

TheShinje

[color=green]Newbie is just another "rank" here on OB, and it's really not much to pay attention to. I don't normally look at someone's rank, I just look at their post quality and such, and if I'm interested in making friends, that's what I do.^^ If they are rude and cruel, I try to steer clear from them, but if they seem like someone I could make friends with, and enjoy being around, that's where I head.^~

I've got to agree on the fact that it was a relief to get out of the newbie stage, and after I was, I started paying much less attention to rankings.Oo

I kinda miss the title though, so many people treated you so kindly. They understood you haven't been here long, and need some time to understand all the rules and regulations. Though there was the occasional "Stupid noob," it was easy to get over, considering these people were obviously still newbies themselves.(whether their rank said it or not.) I also think the title is very cute.^^()[/color]

Take this whichever way you want:

[img]http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/elementis/newbies.jpg[/img]

Personally, I think "Newbie" is a term that alerts us to recognize that these are members that don't quite grasp the rules yet, or that they are getting settled into the way we do things around here, which is, I admit, remarkably different from other MBs I've been to. It's not a derogatory term; it's just a flag for some of us older members.

As such, I think us older members need to quit with the sense of "Gawd, Newbie, must be, acting so stupid" that we've been portraying. Yes, they break rules, yes, they should read them, but non-Mod members have been giving them pains about it. It's no wonder "Newbie" is a loathed title.

On the flip side, being a Newbie is not an excuse to ignore/not know what is expected of you. Wanna be a Member (hopefully, a Newbie-welcoming one? heh)? Then, well, act like one.

I'm done.

i dont mind bein labled a newbie. i think its better that way cause if ya screw up in something, other members who know better can correct u. so to me its all good in da hood. other than that (if anyone has ever played Steam or Counter-Strike) you can change it to nub. its a new word for newbie my clan an a bunch of others have been throwin around CS and Steam.

I believe its not right to judge someone by thier post count. Why should anyone spamming thier way up into 4 figures be more thought of than someone who doesn't say much but when they do it actually means something.
Its also along the same lines as prejudice.....
(Or is that going too far?)
:)

That's taking it a bit far. ;)

If you do a search on the top ten posters of OB, you'll find they are all competent, thoughtful posters. Usually, people who are intent on being spammy just to get the numbers are caught early on and never make it past 5oo.

As for Newbies ("Beginners", "Visitors"?), it's a give or take. No matter where you are--MBs, at work, online playing a game--newbies are people that, while not treated with contempt, need help until they get the hang of the ropes. I still say that the status "Newbie" alerts us other members to that fact. Those that take it upon themselves to smack the newbies around should be ashamed.

And then you have the Newbies that purposely ignore the rules and mess around without trying to improve themselves. They are the 5% that make the rest of the 95% look bad, which is why "Newbie" seems to have a negative connotation.

[size=1] I think the itles on OB are fine. The word Newbie lets other members know what to expect and what not to expect, and I think OB handles newbies pretty well. I mean...I've been to other forums and they treat newbies like they're contaminated nuclear waste or something. People who disrespect newbies just because their title says 'newbie' are ignorant and stupid.

::shrugs:: I never really minded the title. I didn't even notice I was a member until about a week ago. O_o I spent a long time as being a newbie, and there was nothing wrong with it. Heh, but it is fun for me to look at back at my earliest posts and cringe at what I said. ^_~[/size]

There's nothing wrong with the rankings. The rankings' names are fine, they should be shorted by the post-count intervals though.

I mean.. it can take someone forever to post 250 good-quality messages on the boards, and all that, just to change the ranking you've got from "Newbie" to "Junior Member". If the "Newbie" title changed to "Junior Member" in a shorter interval of posts, it's be better, say like, 100. Then 300. Then 600. You see what I mean? Changing rankings more, adds excitement.

And crickey, don't ever put rankings on timing. Soemone could register in the year 2005, not post a word, and then come back in four years, and be up with the top ranking son the board. Doesn't really fit if you ask me.

My input... yep. :toothy:

Guest cloud-strife
there is no shame in being a newbie infact I like being a newbie it sounds better than member or junior memeber(no offence to those of the ranks I just typed)

Shorter post intervals would be a good idea. I liked the idea of time, but it needs to be a mixture of tome ON Ob and time since you joined. And post quality/amount. Which is quite confusing, so maybe the current system is best... aside form one thing that really rubs me up the wrong way... I try to make most of my posts worthwhile and decent. But there are some people (not looking at anyone in particular- *twitches* ) who jopined in, lets say July. Now they are a junioor member with, like 400 posts. And theirpost aren't even all that good. I find that is unfair, and while i wouldnt, it tempts me to post not-so-good posts, to gain higher ranks. And having a 250 post count before Change of status could put some (good) people off trying OB. I understand that it also helps get rid of bad posters (or some of them) but it is a (what i feel to be) unnecessarily large starting amount