OtakuBoards

"Older" Music

Guest Magdalena

[size=1]I have been getting into a lot of older music lately outside the whole punk genre (as Lady M has listed; Dead Kennedys, Misfits, Sex Pistols, etc.)

Most bands I have known for a long time, I just never really checked out or anyth simply because I had no reason to. I would say PickleBucket is the main reason I have checked them out simply because he has a tendency to reiterate them in his posts and such.

[b]David Bowie[/b] would probably be the main one that came from him. I had heardsome of Bowie's stuff before whe my friend had a CD of his and I put it in while we were driving around one time. She said, though, that the CD was his older more hokey kind of music. So I put to it to download some other songs, and got some that Tony was kind enough to send me. I would ay my favorite song I have heard thus far is [i]Ziggy Stardust[/i], I just really like the guitar in that song and such. It is very pleasing to listen to.

Then there is The Doors of whom I had gotten into earlier before when [i]Hello, I Love You[/i] came on the radio.

Then there are bands like Poison, AC/DC, Guns n' Roses... Of course these I have known and heard for a while. A couple of my friends have this obsession with such metal and it rubs off. I recently got more into Poison when AFI did a live cover of their song [i]Nothing but a Good Time[/i] at the Kansas City Warped Tour this year. They said that was the second time they have ever done that the other of which was some time ago in Germany.

Def Leppard I was into for a while a couple years ago.

Umm... The Cure... I believe The Smiths are older. I got into them after reading [u]The Perks of Being a Wallflower[/u], and then my friend got me their album [i]Singles[/i] for my birthday this year.

There is probably more that I am not thinking of, but yeah... ^_^[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PiroMunkie [/i][size=1]I have been getting into a lot of older music lately outside the whole punk genre (as Lady M has listed; Dead Kennedys, Misfits, Sex Pistols, etc.)

[/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=darkblue][size=1]It's so good that you're doing that. There was a time when all I listened to was punk, and I think it effected my attitude in a negative way.

Then there were the metal years. I spent most of the time ready to kill and thinking I was god.

It's better to not limit yourself to one form of music. That way, you always have something to listen to, whatever mood you are in, or want to be in. Music is much more powerful than people give it credit for.

"When it's my turn to march up to Glory/ I'm gonna have one hell of a story/ that's if He forgives me./ Oh Lord, please forgive me!" (not metal, I know)[/size][/COLOR]

There are a lot of local bands that hit it big back then too. Local being Chicago for me.

I'm sure most people know that Gloria song. It went "G-L-O-R-I-A Gloooorriaaa!" I think it was done by Shadows of the Knight or something. There was also another band called Ides of March that was pretty cool.

The biggest was of course named after the city. Chicago. For whatever reason, I never see them mentioned in classic rock threads anywhere anymore. They had a lot of just great songs. My personal favorite was "25 or 6 to 4". "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" is probably their biggest, I'd say.

Speaking of the Misfits... I picked up Famous Monsters, Static Age and Walk Among Us. I'm loving all of it. Helena, Hunting Humans, Descending Angel and Hybrid Moments are my favorites so far... but it's all great. Famous Monsters is probably my favorite overall disc out of the three.

I never really listened to tons of them before this, but now I'm regretting it.

[color=darkblue][size=1]Best songs of the Misfits (off the top of my head).

"She" is definitely number one. It's my fantasy, my life, and the first time I ever heard Glen's voice.

Last Caress, Cough/Cool (the Collection 2 version), Die, Die My Darling, Nike-A-Go-Go, 20 Eyes, Mommy Can I go Out and Kill Tonight...

God, there are just too many to name.

But if I could have just one Misfits CD back, it would be Collection 2. And what I wouldn't give for the boxed set, the one that looks like a coffin.[/color][/size]

Usually I listen to more recent music, but ocasionally I will drift off in old music.

If anybody has heard of X Japan, they are one of my favorite oldies. Now if you go really old, way back about 60's 70's around that time I will get into the BG's.

I have listened to ACDC before, they are just not my favorite. Bob Seger is good. Right now that is about all I really now that I listen to. Oldies are really not my thing.