OtakuBoards

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords

Desbreko

My brothers are getting GBAs for Christmas... So at the least I can play with them. That makes a whole four people I know with a GBA.

There are some tiny additions to LttP... The only big one is the addition of voices. Link grunts and stuff, and according to my friend, Zelda says something somewhere near the beginning. I'll have to see for myself though.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]There are some tiny additions to LttP... The only big one is the addition of voices. Link grunts and stuff, and according to my friend, Zelda says something somewhere near the beginning. I'll have to see for myself though. [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=crimson]Yeah.. 'Breko was telling me about this. I guess the little yells and grunts Link comes out with are bearable, but if I had a sword I would yell like that with every slash I made.. my voice would begin to hurt. He should only shout on the jumping-slash and maybe the magic spin attack thinger..[/size][/color]

[color=indigo]I suppose it would've be okay if he only yelled when doing a Spin Attack. (There's no jump attack in LTP, the Spin Attack does double damage, since you have to charge up each time to use it). As it is, though, I think's it's going to be even more annoying than the voices in Super Mario Advance, where there was a voice for when you pick up something, [i]and[/i] for when you throw something.

I mean, a sound effect for swinging your sword is fine, but not a really loud one. The old sound effects for swinging your sword in the original made a *swish* sound, which actually became deeper and softer as you got better swords. That was fine. It wasn't annoying, let alone annoying after only hearing it a few times.

In the end, I guess I can live with it, but I get the feeling that I'm going to have the volume way down a lot of the time. I suppose that's not too bad, though, since I have all the songs in the game memorized, lol.[/color]

Wait... Are you just going by what I told you when I played the game before it released? It doesn't sound as though you've played the game yet. The voices aren't really annoying, and are less frequent than the GBA Super Mario ports. Nothing to be worried about.

According to my friend, some of the music is different as well. But I've not paid attention enough from the little I've played.

[color=indigo]I downloaded a movie off IGN, which showed Link (in the LTP game) fighting a couple soldiers. It was a recent movie, and it looked like it was from the final release, so I assumed that's what it's like in the game... And there was a voice, every time you swung your sword.

It sounded like the voice in OOT and MM when you swing your sword, only higher pitched and not as good quality, since it was coming from the GBA.[/color]

[color=teal]I gotta agree with Semjaza. The voices are actually less annoying than even the goddamn swamrs of bees that plague you when you run into the tree in kakariko after you get into the second crystal dungeon. And the music, Desbreko, has been changed enought o make you wanna play the music in Stereo headphones pumped all the way up for the whole game, man. Though I only know the extent of names and the fact that you are rewarded by the Great Faerie of you earn enough rupees in Four Swords mode.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]It sounded like the voice in OOT and MM when you swing your sword, only higher pitched and not as good quality, since it was coming from the GBA.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=crimson]..Ick. It probably is because of the quality of the IGN videos, but then again, how do we know what the sound like in real life yet if we haven't got it? Ah well.. even if it isn't the same as on the GBA, I can probably guess that it's gonna start to grate after the first 20 swings of the sword.. :P[/size][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by digitalshadow [/i]
[B]Imagine if the second player can play as Navi in Zelda 64 or Tatl in MM, lol. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, that would be that person's one way ticket to hezzell...

But really, I'm kind of reluctant to get it, mainly because of the multi-player aspect of it. Sure it would be cool at first, but it's A Link To The Past, the BEST Zelda game Myamoto ever came up with, and now as a multi-player? That's gonna be cool at first, but as stated, it would get boring after a while... But I'd have to say the only Zelda game that got old was Zelda II: The Adventure Of Link... that game sucked to no end, but oh well... I guess I'll go out and get Four Swords just for shits and giggles...I hope it's as good as the original Link To The Past...

[color=indigo]I don't think you quite realize what the game is, lol. It includes a remake of A Link to the Past, which is almost exactly the same as the original, and it includes a new multi-player mode. Hence the title "A Link to the Past/Four Swords." A Link to the Past is the one-player mode, and Four Swords is a new, seperate multi-player mode.[/color]

[color=crimson]I was looking at a Guide to the Four Swords game today, though I wasn't paying much attention. Des' exactly right, though. LttP is one game, and the Multiplayer is another. It partly involved two players pushing a statue at once, and whatnot (see, I didn't pay much attention, bad BAD me!), but the graphics strongly resemble the LttP's.

BTW, the drawn images in the Guide were just like the ones we're seeing for the Gamecube Zelda. oO GC Link holding up a Red Rupee, GC Link swinging his sword, etc.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]I don't think you quite realize what the game is, lol. It includes a remake of A Link to the Past, which is almost exactly the same as the original, and it includes a new multi-player mode. Hence the title "A Link to the Past/Four Swords." A Link to the Past is the one-player mode, and Four Swords is a new, seperate multi-player mode.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, okay... I was getting worried there for a second... thanks for clearning that up... Now I know I'm going to get it...

[color=009966]I think the multi-player mode would be awesome! ^^ I wonder if you could use muli-player to defeat bosses too? Oh well. I guess if you could, it wouldn't be much fun since you would beat him/it too easily. I really want to try it out though. ^_^[/color]

[color=#33ooCC][b]WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS![/b]

Actually, the Four Swords "Link" looks just like Link from the GCN game, which sucks in a way.

But what I found is cool...(May be a spoiler to some)[spoiler] In order to get two NEW things to LttP, you must complete Four Swords. There are three epics in Four Swords that you must complete with a friend to get the following:

[b]Lumberjack's Riddles[/b]: Remember all those "fake" Master Swords in the Lost Woods? Remember the Magic Powder effect on enemies? They did nothing in the original except making you have one more thing you can do. Well now it's all part of a sidequest only available after being awarded TEN medals from getting the most rupees in the Four Swords game. You get one medal for one win.

[b]Secret Dungeon[/b]: That's right! A secret dungeon in Link to the Past! How? After you beat Ganon in LttP and Vaati in the first Epic of Four Swords, a whole new dungeon will open in LttP on the Power Pyramid! I'm not going to reveal the exact location or how to beat Vaati or even get to her. You must figure that out on your own.[/spoiler]

To Deedlit(could be spoiler) : Yes, you can battle bosses with your friends on the Four Sword epics, not in LttP. Three epics, three levels per epic, same bosses for each epic... just harder.

I'm not going to give away everything I've found out about Four Swords and it's connection to LttP, I'm just going to say this: If you have a GBA and you are getting/have LttP(FS), It's one heck of a journey and quest.

Sorry for any spoilers, but I warned.

-Valen[/color]

[color=indigo]Yeah, I think it's neat how when you do things in one game, it has an effect on the other. Like when you get the Master Sword in LTP, [spoiler]you can then shoot sword beams when you have full life, and then you'll also be able to shoot sword beams in FS when you have full life.[/spoiler]

And I'm really looking forward to that [spoiler]extra dungeon[/spoiler] in LTP. Hopefully it'll be a little harder than the others in the game.[/color]

The bosses in LttP are incredibly easy... I'd like a dungeon filled with all of them heh.

I've been playing LttP on GBA the past few days, and am at the end of the Ice Temple right now. I forgot how great the game was. Things I thought were so difficult when I was little are so simple now, and I'm able to enjoy a lot of it much more.

I like some of the new additions. Like before, there are voices when Link swings his sword... they are honestly decent recordings though, and don't suffer as much as the music (which is noticabely compressed, moreso with headphones). There are a few small changes here and there as well, with a character from the Oracle games making a cameo. Controls on the GBA are easy to get used to as well.

Totally worth my money. Made a 4 hour plane ride seem 20 minutes long :).

[color=indigo]Right, I got ZLTP/FS today...and played through all three of the Light World dungeons in what might as well have been one sitting... And I guess it was just those stupid IGN movies. The voices aren't nearly as bad, and I don't really notice them anymore. So I'm happy. :)

Now I just need my friends to get the game, so I can play Four Swords. *waits impatiently*[/color]

Heh, I got the game when it first came out.....then I bought it for my boyfriend for christmas :P .....but, he wasn't as thrilled with it as I am, so we haven't had a chance to play the linked game yet :(

I have the same ailment as Desbreko, I've got the game but have to wait for my friends to get it to beable to play FS, except I have one thing that's worse none of my friends have GBA's ... I haven't played LttP much yet cause I've been buisy with Golden Sun.
But being my curious self I opened up the FS game and watched the opening scenes before a screen came up saying that I needed a gamelink and what not. I was actually surprised to beable to see the opening, after all I was under the impression you couldn't go into any part of the game without a gamelink or two.

[color=indigo]WOO! I've played Four Swords! Turns out one of my friends had already gotten the game, so I got to play it with him on New Year's Eve.

I didn't get to play a whole lot, only the first area where it teaches you about the different items and whatnot, and then the first real dungeon area. Still, I loved it, and it was pretty much everything I was hoping for. The only thing I didn't like was that there weren't very many enemies, but I'm hoping that will change it the later dungeons.

And you know what the best part about it was? The fact that I was having that much fun while only playing with one other person! I can't wait to be able to play it with three other people.[/color]

• 1 month later...
I'm getting the game soon too... So is my brother!:D Tehe, I feel so happy!

[size=1]The game better be as good as y'all say, cause I don't want to be wasting it on somethin' that an't worth it :demon:[/size]

One question, does the old GBC link work with GBA? The light worked... The only problem was it could only go in backwards so it's light was on the other side :p. I'm wondering if it would work with the old gamelink.

[color=indigo]Trust us, you won't be disappointed with this game. And, even if you don't like Four Swords, you've still got the remake of A Link to the Past, which, in my opinion, is the best Zelda game so far.

Unfortunatly, no, GBC Game Link Cables won't work with GBA games. To play Four Swords, you'll need to buy a GBA Game Link Cable. They're only about $10, though.

To link up original GB or GBC games using a GBA, though, you'll have to use a GBC Game Link Cable. (So don't get rid of your GBC cable, because you'll still need it for linking GB/GBC games). Just remember, the system is backwards compatible, but the cables aren't.

And for the lights, yeah, they reversed the EXT. port on the GBA, so they shine on the back of the system, heh. I have an old WormLight, though, so I just twisted it around to shine on the screen, instead of buying a new light.[/color]