OtakuBoards

Soul Calibur II

Sephiroth

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just got through playing the Demo, (thanx OPM!!!) and have to say that this game kicks ***!

The graphics, along with the cool, fluid motion of the characters, make it one of the best fighting games I've played.

The demo lets you play as either the badass Nightmare, or that European chick. My fav. is Nightmare, his sword is awsome.

I can't wait to buy it!:D

• 4 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by G/S/B Master [/i]
[B]Don't mess with Nitemare. He's wicked cool. I played te demo for Gamecube and almost in every battle the computer didn't even touch me. Love using him. Can't wait till it comes out. [/B][/QUOTE] Haha, I warn you, every character has a flaw (Siegfried's is his inability to adapt). Try the newly-added difficulty before you talk. ;) Trust me, the computer is easy-pickin's on all the levels except that one.

I'm surprised that SC2 feels a little less fluid than it's predecessor, but it's not a big deal. Anyone else notice the increase in rigidity? Besides that, SC2 is now my favorite fighting game, taking SC's place on my list. :)

Nightmare does not have an inability to adapt, at high level play Nightmare is up there with the best, this inability to adapt you speak of is based on the player, not the character. There isn't even any real point in fighting the computer in my opinion, except for the missions, since the AI sucks and you can keep doing one abuseable move repeatedly to win.

SC2 less fluid than SC1? Are you insane or are you playing SC2 on 50hz?

[quote]Nightmare does not have an inability to adapt, at high level play Nightmare is up there with the best, this inability to adapt you speak of is based on the player, not the character. There isn't even any real point in fighting the computer in my opinion, except for the missions, since the AI sucks and you can keep doing one abuseable move repeatedly to win.

SC2 less fluid than SC1? Are you insane or are you playing SC2 on 50hz?[/quote] By inability to adapt, I mean that Nightmare's moves depend primarily on the control of the fight: if the Nightmare player cannot retain the pace of the fight (i.e., he's the lead dancer ;)), then it's incredibly hard to win. I never said Nightmare was bad: he's got speed, range, and power. However, I was warning G/S/B Master that everyone has a weakness, and that he should at least keep that in mind when he's trying to master the game. I know of only one Nightmare player who doesn't fall to excessive cancelling.

As for the fluid comment, you can feel it when you are playing. It's not [I]that[/I] noticeable (just like you saying Tekken is relatively fast :rolleyes: ), but in the heat of battle, there is definately a [B][I]SLIGHTLY[/I][/B] greater stiffness in control/gameplay.

I pre-ordered Soul Calibur 2 and picked it up awhile back, American Version, of course. I've been playing as Kilik, Maxi, and Voldo alot...Yunsung has grown on me, as has the Assassin(They share the same moves). I have found out the hard way that Maxi's worst nightmare happens to be Ivy, she has reach, strength...It all...Maxi has to get in close and keep rythm just to win, if you lose "beat" its all over. Kilik on the other hand has a fairly good reach, his power is content, but if he gets knocked around a bit its all over for him.
Voldo happens to be my favorite character, if you are a wicked cheap player, choose Voldo he is a "throw" character with a set of 3 throws (every other character has 2...Square and X, and Triangle and X. Voldo has the above two and Circle and X)
He has some pretty slick costumes, he has a weird stance, but if put to good use it is deadly (Pressing back and triangle, then holding it puts him in a "crab-walk"..Double tapping foward while in the "crab-walk" lights his feet and hands on fire and he jets foward running over the opposing character, its great). Taki is a horrible character if you like to do ring-outs, she will usually toss herself out of the ring...

Well, I feel the need to brag because I have Link AND Spawn as extra characters now! I first got the GC version & now I have the Xbox version too. They're both my favorite characters for each version, so the only problem is that I wish I could have them both fight each other in the same game. Anyone else have either of these versions yet?

[img]http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/soulCaliburXbox11152003_03.jpg[/img]
[img]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/souldcalibur2gc_11503_9.jpg[/img]

I rented the GC version. I didn't get to play it as much as I would have liked though. It looks really great in progressive scan. I want to rent the Xbox version just to play it in 720p and see how amazing it is (GC only goes to 480p, and I think PS2 to neither).

I didn't like the default control scheme, but I switched it to B. I wish that was an option in the demo way back, because that's how it should have been in my opinion. A is guard, and the surrounding buttons are attacks. I map Soul Charge to L and R and I'm all set. I had no problems and far preferred this set up to the DC one in SC.

Link was better than I expected, but I didn't care anyway... Xianghua and Voldo are my characters, just like in the original.

it doesn't seem like anybody has anything about Heihachi so I'll add my two scents about him.

Regardless of what most people have to say about him Heihachi is very broken* if you know how to use him. sure he has no range but once you can get in range you'll probally win. one of his attacks will reduce you oponnents life bar by about 75% of it's max, he has 3 diffrent 10 hit strings, multible air-lift moves that let you juggle your opponent fairly easily while the attack itself deals good damage, moves which make you opponent crumple to the ground, and most of his attack come out super fast. anybody who says heihachi is a poor character is lying to you

Heihachi on a scale of 1-10: 4/10 if your skills are poor, 9/10 if your are good with him

*: broken in fighting game terms means overpowered or too good. not bad.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Razzamataz [/i]
[B]it doesn't seem like anybody has anything about Heihachi so I'll add my two scents about him.. [/B][/QUOTE]

I really like the fact that you gave many supportive examples when giving your opinion about this. I know I sound like a grammar teacher, but I just can't stand when someone says something like, "You're all stupid! Heihachi RULES!!" but doesn't explain why. So thanks for being intelligent about it. Makes me want to go get the PS2 version now to play Heihachi! I have to say, though, I'm really having a great time with Spawn now that I have the Xbox version. Some of his moves are simply wicked, and he's so cool to watch.

I laugh at people who talk about 10 hit combos ¬_¬

As for Heihachi, the main reason why he is good is because he can still wavedash (even faster and easier on sc2) and he has his true mid hitting EWGF back for all those Mishima fanboys out there who like to wave~ewgf all day long

Heihachi becomes slightly predictable at higher levels, his hell sweeps are pretty much useless since it is easy to parry after the first sweep, his TGF isn't safe at all, same goes for his Twin Pistons (which always sucked in the Tekken series)

Hei is still a decent character but if you are going to play the game seriously then there is no point in playing either of the extra characters on the 3 consoles

why?

well they are banned at tournaments of course!

[quote]well they are banned at tournaments of course![/quote] Sephiroth, yes, you certainly seem to be the tournament goer. How do you go about finding and applying to these official tournaments? I'd love to go since local tournies seem to promise that I would get far (yeah, I don't win them all).

My favorite character is Kilik, followed by Taki. I use Link from time to time, but mostly the other 2 (Kilik the most however) I am currently LV.24 - Silver Battler in Weapon Master mode. I have a little over 50,000 Experience points, and nearly every unlockable mode. I would be farther, but I got the game on the 30th and school started around the 11th.

Heihatchi's growing on me, but until I actually get some skills with him, my man remains [B]Nightmare[/B]. I agree with some of you people, sometimes he seems [U]too[/U] good. Lol. The game has really affected me though. My friend has bet me ten dollars he can trash me, and who am I to not accept a challenge? That's right Nightmare, we're gonna win...win...*kisses controller while mumbling incoherent words*

Well I bought this game, I think about a week ago. And ever since I've been dancing around this thread, mainly because I'm not sure what to post about.

The graphics are beautiful, which is given to anyone who has seen the screenshots. I mean Sephiroth's post pretty much clears everything up. Gameplay wise I prefer Tekken 4, it's much funner to me. But SCII holds the rest of the cards. It has so many modes and things to do. The unlockable are so numerous, though most are stupid (like the character profiles). I'm not happy about Heihachi being the PS2's character. I already have him in T4, it's not that big of a deal. I may trade mine in for the Gamecube version if I can manage with the controls.

I've yet to unlock everything, or even all the characters, so I guess this isn't my [i]final[/i] impression of the game, but, whatever.

Soul Blade had the best endings in the series so far, and I'm really wondering why they don't just take the time to give us endings like those in Soul Blade, game graphics with speech, not to mention they also could be altered by pressing certain buttons while watching them, like in Soul Blade. That was awesome. Now, I would really love Soul Caliber if they did that.

I still like the game, but the endings suck. I hate having to battle through the game just to get some drawling and text. That's going back to the old Mortal Kombat days. Anyway, I only played the XBox version, and Spawn really kicks ***. I can see why a lot of people say he's the best of the three. He's an ax wielder who's actually pretty nimble unlike most ax wielders in any game. Not to mention he's got some pretty bad *** moves, and combos.

Link looks pretty cool too, and I like that you can earn various other weapons from the Legend of Zelda series in Mission Mode. You can actually get the Megaton Hammer, and such. It's pretty cool.

But what the hell is with Heihachi? Sure, I like him, he's my favorite in Tekken. But PS2 owners are getting the shaft with Heihachi. We're just getting another Tekken character, while Game Cube, and XBox gets exclusive characters from completely different franchises. I mean, they brought Yoshimitsu(sp?) over in the first Soul Caliber, but at least he plays a lot differently than the Tekken version, I mean he actually uses his sword now.

Personally, I think it would have been an awesome idea to pay royalties to Square to put Sephiroth in with the Masamune, or perhaps Crystal Dynamics for Kain from the Legacy of Kain series with the Soul Reaver or Blood Reaver. That would have been so awesome. Besides it would have been cool if they actually got Simon Templeman to do Kain's voice for Soul Caliber.

There were plenty of cool characters they could have gotten instead of being cheap and porting over Heihachi from Tekken.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadowthegunner [/i]
[B]I have never played this so called soul calibur 2.... Is it true on playstaion 2 you get to use spawn? [/B][/QUOTE]

It's not "so-called." That's the official name. :rolleyes:

And no, the exclusive character for the Playstation 2 version is Heihachi. Spawn is featured in the Xbox rendition of the game.

Overall, I personally prefer Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution to Soul Calibur 2. There's little innovation to be found in Namco's fighter. Which, isn't a [i]terrible[/i] thing, per se. But, when you've already put generous hours into the original Calibur, it's slightly disappointing.

For all intents and purposes, it's a refined version of an outstanding game. The character balance is spot-on, the music is sweeping and beautiful, and the fighting is difficult to truly master, but quite fun. So, it's not such a chore.

Perhaps if Namco had chosen to introduce some truly original characters to the cast instead of recycling move sets, I would have had more fun with this one. That would have spiced things up nicely, for sure. That lack of initiative on Namco's part is essentially what mars an otherwise wonderful experience.

I agree with most aspects of "chuck's" post. :D (hope you dont mind :D )

Except one thing, I felt that the fighting was "re-done" quite well.

Most of the charactors control in the same basic ways, but have a variety of specific controls for the individual.

The old school, tap ___ 3 times to do a 3 move combo is not as present as it was in the older versions of this game, and for that I consider the moves to be a bit more challenging.

However, there is still an ease of offensive control for most charactors that allows the novice to easily progress through the game.

Edge master has several new innovations.

My favorite was the ability to select charactor and weapon. (not just weapon like in the previous games)

I also really like the gaurd system. (I forget the exact name)

But this system was really well done and allowed for some excellent depth in the fighting. (no more repeated button mashing, you will be parried if you even try)

Overall the game was good.

Except one major problem...

I found either a bad disc, or there are bugs in the game...? which one it is, I dont know yet, but problems smoothly loading fight screens after menu screens seemed to be an occassional problem with my copy.

Oh yeah, one other thing about the game is the ease of overall completion.

I just rented the sucker and beat all of the weapon master mode without much trouble at all.
(keep in mind that I have only played the original title... soul blade)

Anyway, so yeah, I liked the game and would suggest everyone try renting it.

You just might buy it, then again, you may wait for the next tekken or the next vf.