OtakuBoards

PlayStation Portable

Ares

Are you looking forward to the PSP?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the PSP?

• Yes I sure am.
    • No way, sounds dumb.

[color=#4B0082]Well, making PSP's graphics better than any game system alive wouldn't be hard to do, considering game systems are alive. :p But actually, the PSP isn't going to have graphics [i]that[/i] good. Everything I've heard (that's reliable) points to the PSP's graphics being in between PS1 and PS2 quality.

And really, I think the PSP's graphics are being overhyped. So what if the thing has graphics that are between PS1 and PS2 quality? If I buy a PSP, it's certainly not going to be because of its graphical capabilities, the same as I won't be buying a Nintendo DS because of its graphical capabilities. If I wanted games with pretty graphics, I'd just buy games for my GCN and PS2; I don't care about portability [i]that[/i] much.

The main reason I buy handheld games now is because the GBA has games that you can't get anywhere else. Sure, I can play Metroid Prime on my GCN, but I can't play Metroid: Zero Mission -- a 2D Metroid game -- on it; I need a GBA for that. And that's why I love the GBA so much. I can get games on it (specifically, 2D games) that you just don't see on consoles anymore, outside of a rare few.

And that's also the main reason why I'm really not interested in the PSP. From what I've seen and heard, its games look like they're going to be very similar to things you'd see on a console system. Which makes me ask the question, "Why should I bother?" If it's just more of the same type of games, it would take something very special to be released exclusively for the PSP for me to buy one. The idea of playing console-like games on a handheld just doesn't appeal to me.[/color]

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[quote name='Morpheus']Battery life depends on what game you're playing. In true sony style, the PSP's battery life was false, as a graphically intensive game may last as little as 2 hours, 3 tops.[/quote]

This really does not matter much as we already knew it depended on what the system was doing through Sony's older comments. They've yet to give any remotely concrete numbers, however, and everything as of this point is really just an assumption. Who has played the thing extensively enough on its battery alone to say? No one other than Sony itself.

• 2 weeks later...
I have to say that, personally, I am REALLY really looking forward to the release of the PSP. I mena, how COULDNT you want something that has a pretty damn good processing power, damn good graphics for a handheld, and the ability to play wirelessly online (using wireless BlueTooth technology.) It will double as a translator for I believe it said 28 different languages (source: Newsweek, October 25 (?)) Newsweek also stated that it will be able to have up to 8 hours gameplay, though I believe that figure has changed from 8 to 6.

[QUOTE=http://www.ferrago.com/story/3562]
With Sony's pre-show conference now in full swing the Playstation Portable has been fully unveiled to the awed masses. As well as the first images of the wee beast in action, we've news herein on the specifications and other such details, including clues to the titles that we'll be playing on this device Sony claim can produce full-motion "3D-CG" visuals similar to the PS2.
The PSP will initially be available in black, and will include a 16:9 ratio TFT LCD wide screen, centred on a sleek, ergonomically designed controller that Sony hope will fit snugly in the hand. The dimensions are 170mm x 74mm x 23mm and it will reportedly weigh 260g. The screen will support the full sixteen-million or so colours of the spectrum, in a resolution of 480 x 272. The positioning of the PSP's D-Pad and buttons are apparently based on the Playstation's - for convenience - and the device will incorporate stereo speakers, a headphone jack and volume/brightness controls.

Connectors offered include a full 802.11b wireless LAN option (for connection in the home and to the wider network), as well as USB 2.0. The wireless functionality will allow several PSPs to connect and enjoy multiplayer gaming or take the player online. Data will be downloadable wirelessly, via USB, or using the Sony Memory Stick compatibility offered.

PSP software will come in Universal Media Disc format, which supports 1.8gb of data, despite being only 60mm in diameter. This format will offer support for movie and music files as well as games and other software, and a robust anti-piracy encryption system is touted.

Here's the cold hard technical truths of this prodigious new handheld:

Product Name: PlayStationPortable (PSP)
Color: Black
Dimensions: Approx. 170 mm (L) x 74 mm (W) x 23 mm (D)
Weight: Approx. 260 g (including battery)
CPU: PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)
Main Memory: 32MB
Embedded DRAM: 4MB
Display: 4.3 inch, 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD
480 x 272 pixel (16.77 million colors)
Max. 200 cd/m2 (with brightness control)
Speakers: Built-in stereo speakers
Main Input/Output: IEEE 802.11b (Wi-Fi)
USB 2.0 (Target)
Memory StickTM PRO Duo
IrDA
IR Remote (SIRCS)
Disc Drive: UMD Drive (Playback only)
Profile: PSP Game
UMD Audio
UMD Video
Main Connectors: DC IN 5V
Terminals for charging built-in battery
Headphone/Microphone/Control connector
Keys/Switches: Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Analog pad
Enter keys (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Left, Right keys
START, SELECT, HOME
POWER On/Hold/Off switch
Brightness control, Sound Mode, Volume +/-
Wireless LAN On/Off switch
UMD Eject
Power: Built-in lithium-ion battery, AC adaptor
Access Control: Region Code, Parental Control [/QUOTE]

[quote name='Falkon']I have to say that, personally, I am REALLY really looking forward to the release of the PSP. I mena, how COULDNT you want something that has a pretty damn good processing power, damn good graphics for a handheld, and the ability to play wirelessly online (using wireless BlueTooth technology.)[/quote]
This isn't a very sophisticated response but I'll tell you this: the reason I won't be jumping out of my seat to buy a PSP is because I have a Playstation 2 at home. The unit itself seems to offer little that would interest me outside of the novelty of enjoying a similar experience to what I might enjoy in front of my television. I'm not in a position where I absolutely [i]must[/i] be connected to my Playstation 2 "at the hip" so to speak. I can take a break from it, which negates the need for a luxury item like the PSP. So, my train of thought is similar to that of Desbreko's.

I think that the PSP is going to do well, because there some games that are coming out for the PSP, which look pretty cool. IMPO, I think it's going to smoke the DS. I played the DS other day in Circuity City, and I didn't like the whole Stylus thing. The Stylus makes the game hard to play. But, I don't know what the exact price of the PSP is going to be. My guess would be between $250-$300.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
If you search a bit earlier in this thread, you'll find an approximation for the PSP's price. Though I'd say that with all the "accesories" you'll want to get, it will end up costing around $250 for the whole package (minus a game). ...There's a $250 PSP premade "package" anyway, isn't there?

Anyway, the PSP probably [i]will[/i] do well, for a number of reasons with which James (heh) might or might not agree. Whether it will do better than the DS, there's been enough discussion both ways but most people think the DS will outsell Sony's handheld. Anyway, the reasons are:

Sony rules at marketing. I don't know how they do it, but they sneak so much random crap into the top-selling list it pisses me off. The Playstation's success is due largely to Sony's great business sense. That and they're better at some of the "little things," like knowing what to name their systems. "Playstation" is a lot more appealing to parents and non-gamers as a name than is something as stupid as "Xbox" or "Gamecube." PSP vs DS as a name? I'd say PSP, but whatever.

Sony came into the console market very strong and took great advantage of the mistakes its competition (Nintendo) made. Though it seems that a lot of the mistakes are this time on their part, history could repeat itself in the handheld market, especially with no "blockbusters" seeming to come for the DS any time soon. The PSP won't dominate the Nintendo handheld family, but it won't get creamed.

Sony's fan base cripples that of Nintendo as far as I can tell. 75 million PS2s vs 15 million GCs and 55 million GBAs (and I'm pretty sure that the 15 and 55 overlap, so really it's more like 75 vs 45). This will not necessarily give Sony an edge over Nintendo, but it will help the PSP succeed as a system.

People keep bashing the PSP as a system, worrying about its battery life, etc. Bullcrap like that. Heh, don't try comparing DS and PSP as systems. I mean, by that logic, the PS2 should have been utterly crushed by the superior GCN and Xbox. As a piece of harware it's shoddy crap. And it was priced $100 over the GCN. But it kicked its arse all over the place. ...By the way, before I forget, did Soul Calibur 2 for GCN outsell the PS2 version by any chance? I don't think it did, and that's one title that should have... The point is, hardware isn't what sells. And as for what games sell, well when you compare sales for GTA San Andreas, Halo 2, and MP Echoes, it's not clearly not game quality that sells, either. It's the name.

But while we're on the subject of hardware, let's ignore battery life (I'll probably ignore it as a buyer anyway) for a second and consider everything else. What if both the PSP and DS were made by Nintendo? I'd say without a second thought that the PSP is better. It's just that the PSP is NOT Nintendo. But that doesn't bother most people even a little.

The PSP should do quite well I think.

[color=#707875]PSP will do well -- my argument has never been that it won't be successful. My argument is that it sets a series of bad precedents for the industry (or, that it perpetuates certain negatives on the development side). But I think it'll probably do quite well.

However, battery life and such are very important issues, especially considering the type of games that the PSP will contain (ie: traditional console games).[/color]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
[quote name='James][color=#707875']PSP will do well -- my argument has never been that it won't be successful. My argument is that it sets a series of bad precedents for the industry (or, that it perpetuates certain negatives on the development side). But I think it'll probably do quite well.[/color][/quote]
I know you agree with my conclusion. I wasn't sure if you would agree with some of my reasoning.

[QUOTE][color=#707875]However, battery life and such are very important issues, especially considering the type of games that the PSP will contain (ie: traditional console games).[/color][/QUOTE]
Battery life is not an issue for people like myself. I play my GBA either at home or when I'm on a long trip. In the car I usually listen to music and/or sleep. I play the GBA either in a hotel room, or in a cabin, or something along those lines. This means that even if I DO decided to play for more than however many hours straight (which is highly unlikely), I can just do it with the GBA plugged into an outlet (or, rather, its charger). I imagine my playing habits with the PSP will be similar.

Also, this "traditional console games" thing is BS. Guess what games I play on GBA? Hmm, lessee... the Marios, Zelda, DKC, Metroid, Mario Kart.... I guess those aren't "traditional console games" like Gran Turismo 4 and Grand Theft Auto. As long as you can save your game progress every hour-and-a-half or so, there shouldn't be any "console game" issues. If you can't with GT4, that's a serious flaw of the game, period. It has nothing to do with that system it is intended for.

• 3 months later...
Guest Alchemist
I can not wait till this things hit the american market.
Here are some spec.(courtesy of Gamespot.com)
PSP Specifications:

=PSP CPU Core
MIPS R4000 32-bit core
128-bit bus
1-333MHz (1.2V)
8MB eDRAM main memory
2.6Gbps bus bandwidth
FPU, VFPU (2.6 billion flops)
3D graphics extended instructions
I Cache, D Cache
=PSP Media Engine
MIPS R4000 32-bit core
128-bit bus
1-333MHz (1.2V)
2MB eDRAM submemory
I-Cache, D-Cache
90nm CMOS
=PSP Graphics Core
1-166MHz (1.2V)
256-bit bus
2MB eDRAM (VRAM)
5.3Gbps bus bandwidth
664 million pixels per second pixel fill rate
3D curved surface and 3D polygon engine
Support for compressed textures, hardware clipping, morphing, bone, tessellation, bezier, b-spline (NURBS)
Maximum of 33 million polygons per second
24-bit full color (RGBA)
=Sound Core
VME (Virtual Mobile Engine)
Reconfigurable DSP
166MHz (1.2 V)
128-bit bus
5 giga operations per second
CODEC capabilities
3D sound, 7.1 channels
Synthesizer, effecter, and other abilities
ATRAC3 plus, AAC, MP3 for audio
=Media
UMD (Universal Media Disc)
60mm-diameter disc
660nm laser diode
1.8GB capacity (dual-layered disc)
11Mbps transfer rate
AES crypto system
Unique disc ID
Shockproof
Regional code system
Parental lock system
Repeat ordering system
=Other Specifications
16:9-format widescreen TFT LCD (480x272 pixels, 24-bit full color)
MPEG4 AVC decoder
Wireless LAN (802.11)
IrDA (Infrared Data Association)
USB 2.0
Memory Stick
AV in/out
Stereo headphone out
Lithium ion battery
Expansion port

I have been saving my money for 12 weeks now, but i will have enough. Even though all the price jumps it has taken, i will have one on thursday :animesigh.
Do you plan to get it on th first day.

[color=#4B0082]Merged this with the original PSP thread. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]

I don't plan to get it at all yet. All the games that I have seen were underwhelming at best.

From what I've seen, most people choose the psp because it looks good or because Nintendo is kiddy, which are both horrible excuses to buy a system. Sure, it's pretty, but compared to DS and GBA, the quality just isn't there yet.

THe way I see it, lot's of people that bought the XBOX for it's power will turn to psp. Within a few months there will be some quality software, but just not enough. Nintendo is going to laugh all the way to the bank.

I have to agree with Morpheus on this one. In my opinion this is just a competition on which company is really better, and Nintendo wins in the Portable department.

I've only heard bad things about the PSP. I've seen some Gameplay Movies and I think the Graphics for the system are REALLY choppy and there aren't many extras on it.

Playstation fans will be storming to buy them at the store, only to be demanding a refund in a month or so.

Good luck in finding a good use for it....It may be entertaining at first but eventually they will be used as the new Universal Paperweight. :animesigh

Choppy graphics? The PSP's graphics are awesome. They pack a little more punch than what the DS can handle, and the PSP can play movies and mp3s.

However, that is all that the PSP really has going for it. The only advantage that it has is graphics and the multimedia functions. Of course, the graphics look good on the PSP because on the DS there has only been GBA graduates, nothing that can really show off it's power. To see said power, click here>>[URL=http://www.gamesarefun.com/gamesdb/media.php?id=690]Goldeneye: Rouge Agent DS[/URL] (Note that the screenshot has been scanned into a magazine, making it sketchy, and has then been scanned onto a computer, sketchier)

As for the multimedia of PSP, it could be the clincher for some, but for me, I already have a 1gig flash player and can't stand watching DVDs in cars or planes, becaue they are more boring than actual games, and strain the eyes on such a small screen. Not to mention I can only watch a movie once.

It's obvious that I prefer the DS and will be getting that instead, but the PSP still looks like it will be a great system. It may have some problems in the battery department, it may have sticky buttons and easily scratchable screens, but the graphics are amazing, a few games look fun, and some people will most likely love the multimedia functions.

I don't think that anyone who buys a DS or PSP will have to regret their purchase, as both are near equally good in their own departments. They may be competing, but both branch off in completely different and revolutionary directions. DS with its awesome touchscreen games offers amazing diversity in the way games can be played, and the PSP is like a mobile console.

I just find it sad that people are giving up on the DS and trading them in for PSP money, without waiting to see the lineup that DS has coming out later this year. And the games with graphics that are actually impressive.

Guest Alchemist
I have a DS now and it is just limited to games and pictochat. Dont get me wrong it kicks it, but the psp has so much more. I can now upload anime episode from my pc to my PSP and watch them on the go. Also there are a lot of sweet games coming out for it. Ape Escape, Armored Core, and MGS(even if its a card game).

[COLOR=Navy]I'm very excited for the PSP. Though I'll never get one, my friend is. He also owns the DS, so I play that every so often. There is so much more that you could possibly ever do with the PSP than the DS.

There is only one good game out now for the DS anyways, and that's the Super Mario DS.

I just tried Yoshi's Touch and Go...I grew bored of it after an hour.

I have a lot of high expectations for the PSP. I can't wait for it to come out.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Alchemist']I have a DS now and it is just limited to games and pictochat. Dont get me wrong it kicks it, but the psp has so much more. I can now upload anime episode from my pc to my PSP and watch them on the go. Also there are a lot of sweet games coming out for it. Ape Escape, Armored Core, and MGS(even if its a card game).[/quote]
Oh please. Do you know how much anime will fit on the 32mb card that is a pack-in? 1 whole episode. Congradulations.

Have you even played ape escape. It uses a funtion called dual sticks that the psp just doesn't have. No set of buttons can replace analog.

For $100 you could get a portable dvd player and watch all the anime you want and not deal with those expensive cards.

[COLOR=DarkRed]I have a friend who already has the PSP (he got through work or something, i'm not really sure) so i've seen it up close and personal, and it is GOOOOD. It looks real nice, and theres so much more you can do with it than just game (as some of you already mentioned). I won't buy it right away, cause i need a new hard drive at the moment, but i most certainly will get it in the future. :D [/COLOR]

Guest Alchemist
[QUOTE=Morpheus]Oh please. Do you know how much anime will fit on the 32mb card that is a pack-in? 1 whole episode. Congradulations.

Have you even played ape escape. It uses a funtion called dual sticks that the psp just doesn't have. No set of buttons can replace analog.

For $100 you could get a portable dvd player and watch all the anime you want and not deal with those expensive cards.[/QUOTE]
TSk TSk TSk. I am pretty sure 1 episode will slake my thirst for anime in a car ride.
And

[IMG]http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/190107b.jpg[/IMG]
for the PSP.
I have Ape Escape and Ape Esacpe 2, do some research.

[QUOTE]I can now upload anime episode from my pc to my PSP and watch them on the go.[/QUOTE]
I was wondering about stuff like this. For example, if I want to use my PSP to play music, how much memory does it have on it for that type of media. Is there something in the specs above that explains this? just let me know. Thanks.

Unevitably, this has turned into a PSP vs. DS war. Which is pretty ridiculous. Comparing the PSP and the DS isn't as easy as say...comparing the Gamecube and the PS2. While they are both portable and are the first handhelds to feature true 3-D console graphics, that is really all that they share in common.

Interactive gaming is awesome, because truely, touching is fun.
And a 3way multimedia device that is the size of an Ipod is surely nothing to scoff at.

When it comes down to it, they both have strenghts over one another, but comparing their features overall is completely subjective.

It's all personal preference.

Edit: For the above question, the 32megabyte stick that comes with the PSP will be enough to save games. However, if you want to play MP3s or upload shows, you'll need to get the 512megabyte, or probably the 1gigabyte stick. Although I think they are quite pricey.
It would be impossible to store any TV shows on the 32megabyte stick. I had a 32megabyte MP3 player and it only held 12 songs at most.

[color=darkred][SIZE=2]It's no secret that I am not a big fan of Sony, nor of this PSP that is coming out. . I mean, I figured it would be an attempt to try and grab a chunk of the handheld market. .

Then I saw the price tag. $250 for the PSP alone? $30 - 50!! per game? I mean. . ouch! I'll just wait for the Playstation 3, and spend a bit more for a home consol system (assuming a $300 launch price). . and of course, this is coming after I buy my next-gen Nintendo.

Honestly, the launch titles aren't that impressive in my opinion, and even if I was to get it, I would still have to drop at least another $10 for some sort of protective cover for the screen. WHY, oh WHY, didn't they just add some sort of cover? Did they not learn anything with Nintendo coming out with the SP and the DS? . . Then again, I suppose they are still busy trying to fix their 'new and improved' PS2. . rofls~ Let the good times roll I guess? [/SIZE][/color]

[quote name='Gravy Train']Unevitably, this has turned into a PSP vs. DS war.[/quote][color=#4B0082]Unfortunately, yes, both the PSP and DS threads tend to err that way whenever people start posting in them again. ... Even though we have a separate [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=40830][u]PSP or Nintendo DS?[/u][/url] thread for comparisons. Please use it instead of posting your PSP/DS bashing in here, people.

Anyway, the way I see it, the PSP has two main things going for it: Portability for games that would otherwise be limited to consoles, and its multimedia functions. The first, I don't really care to spend $250 on, since I don't play games away from home [i]that[/i] much. And the second, I just don't care about. I rarely get the urge to listen to music while I'm out somewhere, and I don't think I've ever wanted to watch a movie outside of the theater and home. I'd nearly always prefer to play a game, so the multimedia functions on the PSP would be near useless to me.

So even regardless of its problems (easily scratched screen, etc.), I'm just not at all compelled to buy a PSP. I'm sure if I did get one, I'd have fun with it. ... I just don't think it would be worth it to me.

I am, however, looking forward to seeing the games that will come out for the PSP. No doubt there will be PSP exclusives that I'll really want, so I may end up buying a PSP a while down the road. (Like I did with the PS2.) Just not right now.

... See? I didn't mention the DS even once in those three paragraphs. You don't need to bash one in order to say you like the other, or vice versa. :p[/color]

So after all this time, has anyone in the US actually picked one up?

I haven't really looked, although I've seen a couple in passing. Some kid was playing one on the train and some guy was carrying his around Best Buy for some reason (I guess he wanted a case for it).

Conveniently, there are many computers out there that have a port to insert the memory stick for downloading. Saving entire PSP games to a memory stick will range from 500kb to 1mb. This leaves plenty of room for MP3s and downloads (even on a 32mb stick). The two other options of memory sticks: $39.99 for 128mb and $49.99 for 256mb. There is plenty of room for whatever you wish to download. Range of music memory is estimated to be 100kb to 250kb depending on size of MP3. Other info has not been released for video and PSP customization yet. When comparing a system setup save on a PS2 memory card to the PSPs downloadable options, the ratio is about the same. However, I recommend getting a better memory stick (check out package information below).

The price for the PSP may seem high, but that is because of the package in general. First, is the $150 console. Next, is the $40 Spiderman 2 movie. Then, there is the $30 memory stick. And finally, the earphones, case, and demo round to about $30. That would make it $250 in total. If you would like, the PSP price will start to go down to $150. However, you will not get any of the accessories from the package (which I would prefer not to have myself).

The games are worth buying! Games like Grand Theft Auto (coming out soon), Twisted Metal, and Metal Gear games have better graphics than their other predecessors. The sound may not be great from the provided speaker, but that is because the settings are set up for a better sound experience when using the earphones.

For those who have anime download needs for the PSP, check this out. You can minimize memory space AND keep video and sound quality for your PSP! The estimated space for an episode/video will take only 1mb to 5mb! I don't know the specifics, but companies are working on this right now.

I have owned a Sony computer for years and I have never once used the memory card stick port. I really don't like the idea of having to use a card that works only with Sony devices. I just use this USB 2.0 adapter I have for my SD cards (that tons of companies use, thankfully). I think it's cool that the PSP even has the option and it opens the door for lots of neat things (and also bad viruses, the PSP has already had some in Japan). I think there will be some great uses for it in games though (I don't particularly care about movies and music personally, I have a hard drive MP3 player).

As for the price, obviously the bundle raises it, but you're listing retail prices for these things. Including them in the package does not cost Sony an extra $100 worth of their own money (especially when they own the rights to Spider-Man 2, which most definitely would not cost $40 on a UMD -- no one would buy it).