OtakuBoards

PlayStation Portable

Ares

Are you looking forward to the PSP?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the PSP?

• Yes I sure am.
    • No way, sounds dumb.

I picked one up at launch. As it's well-documented, I never actually intended to hop aboard the PSP train but several factors swayed me. The biggest factor in determining my purchase was that I'm on the go a lot and rarely get to play my consoles. My GBA suited me fine, but I lost it. I was going to simply replace it or buy a DS just to play my GBA games with a better display but in the end, I just decided it would be best to hold off on picking up a DS. When the games worth playing arrive I'll be interested. Currently, however, the touch screen still hasn't been used in a way that transcends the category of "tacky gimmick" in my opinion.
Since the PSP had a generally appealing launch line-up, it won me over in a totally spur-of-the-moment decision.

I had a substantial amount of in-store credit that softened the blow of the price, but even that withstanding, the PSP would have been worth it to me. I've experienced no technical problems, such as a sticky square button or dead pixels. Also, the battery has never died on me or even come close.

I've heard about the quality of the screen but until it's seen in person, it can't truly be appreciated for what it's worth. Something like Wipeout Pure just looks phenominal running on it. The image quality is so crisp, clear and vibrant that it's like playing near or PS2 quality games in high definition. You can't help but to just say "Wow." The sound output isn't nearly as impressive through the system's speakers. It's not terrible, but once you hear the audio through a pair of headphones you won't want to go back.

The system doesn't feel as comfortable or natural in my hands as a GBA. It's not nearly as durable either. But, once you get used to it these problems become non-issues. Well, except for the durability problem. However, the carrying case and wrist strap should prevent anyone outside of a complete moron from dropping it incessantly. And, although it's not as compact as a GBA it still fits snugly into my pocket.

So far I've picked up Lumines, Wipeout Pure, and THUG 2 (I never bought the PS2 version but find this type of game brilliant on the go). Lumines is my favorite and probably reason enough to own a PSP. It's that good. It's highly stylish, addictive, and has awesome music. In short, what people have been saying is true-- it's one of those games you think about even when you're not playing it. I just can't stress how fantastic Lumines really is.

All in all, I'm VERY pleased with the PSP. If I was still able to play my consoles frequently I wouldn't have bothered (just so that I wouldn't waste too much time on video games). But, I'm surprised to find that many PSP games are quite original or the ports have been adapted for handheld gaming exceptionally well.

Plus, its multimedia capabilities kick ***. I won't be buying any UMD movies for it because they're impractical (the quality is amazing though). However, I've put short video clips on the memory stick and copied music to it easily. I just can't wait until the 1-gig ones hit the shelves.

Everyone who's seen my PSP has been very impressed. There's a tremendous sense of awe. People (a wide variety of people) immediately exclaim that they're going to buy one and just can't believe the quality of the games or video. It definitely has mainstream appeal and I can see it catching on big time. And really, I think it deserves it. It's one sexy device. Until Nintendo releases some quality DS games or its next Gameboy, it will more than suffice. Even then Nintendo's going to have a real fight on their hands I think, which is very exciting and good for us.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be fair, the button sticking thing isn't something that happened within a week to the Japanese units. Maybe they fixed it, but who knows.

I'd be far more interested if I could afford the thing, but in the meantime I'm going to wait it out. The main game I want at this point, Lumines, apparently isn't quite as good as Meteos (which is from the same guy)... so I can't quite convince myself to drop $300 just yet. The other games thus far haven't really grabbed my attention, although Wipeout Pure does look good. I wasn't amazed by the DS at the time either, but I had the money at the time and it was more of an impulse purchase.

Personally, I think I'd be satisfied with the 32 MB card. I have absolutely no interest in watching videos on the thing and I already have an MP3 player. As long as I can fit all my saves on it, I'd be happy.

As for the screen, its durability does concern me. I take good care of my other handhelds, but they all seem to get scratched up at some point. If the PSP is as sensitive as it sounds, I don't know how I could possibly keep it in good shape. People were even saying they scratched the screen by wiping it with a cloth.

The first thing I would do is just run out and buy one of those screen protectors and never worry about it again lol.

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']To be fair, the button sticking thing isn't something that happened within a week to the Japanese units. Maybe they fixed it, but who knows.[/quote]

Yeah, I don't know if it's a problem that'll arise later. I've tested the button extensively with no problem. But, if it does happen to suffer later, I'll simply return it, seeing as how I opted to pay for the store warranty. And really, anyone who doesn't seek the security of an in-store warranty is a fool. Such warranties are really useful. I was able to exchange my GameBoy Advance SP almost a year after I bought it for button-related problems. So, I really encourage anyone to pursue such a security.

[quote]I'd be far more interested if I could afford the thing, but in the meantime I'm going to wait it out. The main game I want at this point, Lumines, apparently isn't quite as good as Meteos (which is from the same guy)... so I can't quite convince myself to drop $300 just yet. The other games thus far haven't really grabbed my attention, although Wipeout Pure does look good. I wasn't amazed by the DS at the time either, but I had the money at the time and it was more of an impulse purchase.[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. It's really a huge investment. I'd say it's worth owning both Lumines and Meteos if it turns out right. I've also been looking forward to Nintendogs. I'm not sure if it'll be a cool game or more of a novelty in the long-term but it has my interest. So when they release, I'll consider picking up a DS if I have the money. The PSP was just something I literally reserved at the last minute to spoil myself. It was kind of exciting. Overall it has more games on the horizon that interest me than DS does, which gave it the priority for now. Talkman, although technically not a game, looks like an astounding achievement that could prove useful. Mercury also looks extremely cool and original. I've heard good things about Untold Legends so that's a possibility when I get tired of what I have now. Darkstalkers will be fantastic if I can manage the controls and cumbersome load times. I usually don't change characters during arcade mode so that helps. Also, as you probably know by now, I really like sports games and that's another personal strength of the PSP.

More than anything I'm interested in Ridge Racer but it's seemingly impossible to find due to shortages. I was the second one in line at launch and they didn't have any copies. I've heard it's sort of a compilation of tracks from every Ridge Racer and some original tracks which is too enticing to pass up.

[quote]Personally, I think I'd be satisfied with the 32 MB card. I have absolutely no interest in watching videos on the thing and I already have an MP3 player. As long as I can fit all my saves on it, I'd be happy.[/quote]

The 32 MB card will more than suffice for that. It's just that, for me, I bought it primarily for a gaming machine but at the same time don't own an ipod or MP3 player since, obviously, I'm not a huge music fan. So, when the 1GB stick comes out it'll be more than enough for me to fit what I want onto it. The prices can be insane though. A 2GB stick is priced at $450 dollars. What the hell? lol

[quote]As for the screen, its durability does concern me. I take good care of my other handhelds, but they all seem to get scratched up at some point. If the PSP is as sensitive as it sounds, I don't know how I could possibly keep it in good shape. People were even saying they scratched the screen by wiping it with a cloth.[/quote]

I bought a screen protector with my system but it was terrible. It did more harm than good. The truly good ones haven't launched yet. Right now I have small scratches on the screen (caused by the cloth no doubt) but they're not noticeable during gameplay. Still, it's annoying. I prefer to keep things extremely neat and in perfect condition.

Yeah, I know your sports games fetish. I'm not that interested in those lol.

A lot of the games that are out for it right now that I would be interested in really don't sound all that hot. Darkstalkers is my favorite 2D fighter series in existance, but I can't deal with 20 second load times when I have decent home versions on my Saturn and Dreamcast. Yeah, it's awesome you can play it on the go, but I don't know. I can't stand the PS2 d-pad as it is and the PSP one looks pretty meh too. I don't like that segmented thing they do with theirs.

Untold Legends is apparently very average, although I am sure I'd enjoy it anyway. I always sucked at Twisted Metal lol.

Lumines sounds very cool and I know they're different enough to justify both... But from what I've read, Meteos is apparently meatier in terms of content and, very surprisingly, has more in the way of presentation. I think I'll stick with that one for now, but Lumines is still my most wanted PSP game that's out right now.

James was telling me about how you two were talking about this Talkman software awhile back. It does sound very interesting and while I'd not buy the PSP based simply on that, it definitely is something I'd pick up if I had the thing.

In any case, when Persona hits the PSP, I'll have to buy the thing. I don't see any reason why Atlus wouldn't want to release that in the US.

As for the DS, well that's for another thread, but there's actually about a dozen games I know of that are upcoming that I'm very interested int. It's nice that the thing is finally getting into a stride of sorts... The PSP and DS offer things that are very different, which is kind of nice I think. Who knows about the next Game Boy at this point.

As for the music thing, you can get a really nice Zen Touch 40 GB for only $300. I doubt I'd bother with a 2 GB card for even more money if I was going to mostly put music on it lol.

I had bought a screen protector for my DS the say it came out and I found that it just made the screen too dark. They aren't generally as transparent as you're told. When I pulled it off, it left this sticky residue that I had to remove with Goo Gone (water didn't work). I imagine that could outright ruin the PSP screen if it really is [i]that[/i] fragile.

I was reading about this really nice one that's super transparent and thin. If I can find the link, I'll let you know. They make all sorts of sizes for all sorts of devices.

Thinks I have said (paraphrase)

1. The PSP is waaaay too expensive, especially with the games going for $40. Spending $250 is silly for a hand held.

2. I don't really play hand held games very much, so there's no sense in me picking up a DS or PSP if I'm only going to play it on airplane rides.

Things I have done:

Bought a PSP on Saturday, along with Lumines and Twisted Metal: Head on (Metal Gear Acid is sold out everywhere except online).

I don't really know what I was thinking, but when I got to play around with the PSP in Circuit City (they let you check it out at customer service) it was so slick I needed it. The screen is utterly fantastic, looks better than my TV except that its small. Its actually pretty decent sized as far as screens go for hand held games. I absolutely love it. The interface for the PSP is really cool, its exactly like a computer from the future that you see in movies. The games come in shrunken down DVD cases, and the actual games themselves are tiny discs in a case that you pop in the PSP.

Lumines is a cool game, pretty analogous to Tetris in gameplay and addictiveness. It plays crazy electronic music and words and images flash on the screen on certain levels (skins). Twisted Metal plays really well on the PSP, with graphics pretty close to the PS2 version. It has a couple of new cars and a bunch of classics, and all of the levels are new. The levels are really huge too, which feels odd in a handheld game. For these two games at least the load times are fine, nothing better or worse than any other console system.

Really I don't know why I bough the thing, but I'm really happy I did. Hey, money is meant to be spent, right?

[COLOR=Green][SIZE=1]The PSP has better graphics, but that is the only thing it has over DS. The music and movies thing is coming to the clamshell. In Japan, there is something called Play-Yan that will act as a music and movie player. The ds has better control, games, (Castlevania DS?) and will soon be wi-fi internet capable FREE.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='triforcelad][COLOR=Green][SIZE=1]The PSP has better graphics, but that is the only thing it has over DS. The music and movies thing is coming to the clamshell. In Japan, there is something called Play-Yan that will act as a music and movie player. The ds has better control, games, (Castlevania DS?) and will soon be wi-fi internet capable FREE.[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

Well neither one of them has a whole lot of games out right now, and I would say PSP is going to have just as many good games as DS by looking at projected releases. PSP has better graphics, which will allow some games that are not usually hand held type games to look and play well on the PSP. Nintendo DS is going to have more innovative games with the touch screen.

Its all personal preference since both systems are really cool, but for different reasons. There's no sense in having some kind of vendetta against PSP, just enjoy your DS.

[quote name='triforcelad][COLOR=Green][SIZE=1]The PSP has better graphics, but that is the only thing it has over DS. The music and movies thing is coming to the clamshell. In Japan, there is something called Play-Yan that will act as a music and movie player. The ds has better control, games, (Castlevania DS?) and will soon be wi-fi internet capable FREE.[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]The PSP has free Wi-Fi, too.

I'm in desperate need of the PSP. I think this is one of the coolest multimedia gadgets ever. Every time I read about it, I need it more.

I definitly want it for the games, but the music feature is just as cool. I don't have a MP3 player or an iPod, so this would be just as cool. I think the movie thing won't really sell units.

I'll probably buy a PSP. I don't have a MP3 player or digital camera (it will have that feature), so that's just an added bonus.

My friend has a PSP and has no complaints about it except he is out of 250$. Yes, that is alot for a portable, but you get a gaming system, an MP3 player, and to a lesser extent, a portable movie player. I definetly think it is worth what it is priced, especially the package at (I think) GameCrazy, where (and corret me if I'm wrong) you get a case, your choice of a game, an extra battery, and a Memory Stick. Like I said, I'm not too clear on that, so whoever feels like correcting me, go ahead. I'm curious myself.

In my [B]PSM[/B] magazines, they said that the dead pixel thing was "fixed", but I will have to see that for myself. In a recent issue of [I]Electronic Gaming Mothly[/I], they did a durability test, where the PSP only broke when about 170-plus pounds was exerted on it.

Wish list: [B]Mercury[/B], [B]Tales of Eternia[/B], [B]Twisted Metal: Head On[/B], [B]Ridge Racer[/B].

-the one and only

[B]Note[/B]: my information was mostly recalled by my memory, so correct me if I made mistakes.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I got a DS as an early birthday present (yes I asked for it, it was not an unwanted gift) and was pretty happy since I've never had a portable system before. However, soon after I really wanted a PSP as well. I'm planning on buying one tomorrow so that I can have both and won't have to worry about which one I like more.

I don't think the durability of the PSP should be a problem. It just needs to be handled gently like the sexy device that it is. DS is cool because of durability, but it doesn't have as good of aesthetics. I guess it can't go both ways.

One thing that I am worried about though is the threat that the UK poses. Yes, for some of you that haven't heard (I just did a few days ago) , Great britain has come out with a pretty bitchin portable system. The Gizmondo looks like it has even more multimedia then the PSP and the same graphics and processing power (GPS and built in digital camera and e-mail/IM service).

And what really amazed me was that becuase of the GPS, you can play anyone in the world, anywhere in the world. Wi-Fi is not needed for gaming with people across the country or world. Pretty amazing, IMO the downsides of the system put it below the PSP.

Downside:

1. Price: $400 for the system. You will still need to buy memory sticks and games. AND to use the GPS you must pay a monthly fee. No thanks, free PSP Wi-Fi is the ownage.

2. Battery: Lasts only 3 hours. You need to buy a $50 upgrade battery if you want it to match the PSP's battery life.

3. Games: While they look good in the screenshots, most of the titles don't look that good, although some are quite original. It just won't get the same kind of high-budget games that the PSP will have.

4.No analog stick: It has L/R buttons, 4 standard game buttons, and an 8 way Dpad. I guess the Dpad will be used for gun movement in FPS, but it is damn hard folks. Believe me (and most of you already know) I've tried using controls like that (Metroid Hunters) and it is impossible. Not even a touch screen at that.

5. Aesthetics: Looks chunky and the screen doesn't look as good as the PSP's.

But damn!! The GPS makes me almost want to buy it.

Nice trolling, fanboy.

It's a bold declaration you're making there, regarding the DS having better control because you're speaking on entirely subjective grounds. You're in no way the authoritative voice on control preference. Or the quality of games for that matter. I could argue either way easily on both fronts. And I won't even mention your wi-fi comment.

With Castlevania DS you're mentioning a game that you've not even played yet, which would really make your argument questionable if you even had one to begin with. I just don't understand why people can't enjoy both systems for what they have to offer and instead must draw unnecessary comparisons. It's easy to find faults with either. You could take easy shots at the PSP's battery life or durability. You could just as easily say that the DS line-up consists of little more than glamorized GBA ports and hasn't transcended the boundaries of being little more than a gimmick yet. Either way, you wouldn't be telling the whole truth and you'd be missing the best aspects both have to offer.

Also, I'm not so sure why people are quick to point out alternatives to the PSP's media capabilities. It's a game machine. Those abilities are bonuses. It's a gaming machine that lets you listen to music and watch movies. No one is buying it just to watch movies or listen to music just like no one bought a PS2 just to watch their DVDs.

And, satan665, all the levels from Twisted Metal: Head On aren't new. From what I've heard many are remade versions of Twisted Metal 2 levels.

[QUOTE=Charles]

And, satan665, all the levels from Twisted Metal: Head On aren't new. From what I've heard many are remade versions of Twisted Metal 2 levels.[/QUOTE]

Well, I've played a lot of Twisted Metal 2, and I can say that the levels in head on are pretty much brand new. There are a few levels that are similar, but not that much. I've only played through the game with one character so far (in head on) and none of the levels are recognizable. I may have missed one or two levels from when they give you the choice between two, but that wouldn't mean much. If they're remade versions of TM2 levels, then they are completely remade, and the graphic look more like TM: Black.

The game actually plays a lot like TM2 with regards to car control and ramming, but less sloppy spiral turns in mid air.

So if you like Twisted Metal games, this feels like a sequel more than a remake. The levels really are new, and there are some new cars too.

[quote name='triforcelad][COLOR=Green][SIZE=1]The PSP has better graphics, but that is the only thing it has over DS. The music and movies thing is coming to the clamshell. In Japan, there is something called Play-Yan that will act as a music and movie player. The ds has better control, games, (Castlevania DS?) and will soon be wi-fi internet capable FREE.[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote][color=#4B0082]So I hope we've learned a lesson here? Or if you haven't picked up on it, posting in the PSP thread just to say the DS is better is a bad idea. Use the [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=40830][u]PSP or DS[/u][/url] thread for that. (And make sure you have some decent arguments, as well.) Otherwise, as you've seen, you'll get beat down by Charles. :p[/color]

[color=#D6A204]Twisted Metal is a pretty compelling reason to own PSP for me - I loved the original and Twisted Metal 2. The third was just okay - marginally. And I have to admit, I didn't really enjoy Twisted Metal: Black very much.

So from everything I've read, it's great to hear that Head-On is actually based more around Twisted Metal 2 than any of the other titles.

At the moment, in terms of launch games, I think Twisted Metal: Head-On and Wipeout Pure are my two main reasons to own a PSP. Of course, I can't afford one at the moment...and I want to purchase a DS first. But PSP is definitely on the list for me, especially as better games come out (and hopefully quality issues will be further resolved down the line).[/color]

[quote name='James][color=#D6A204']At the moment, in terms of launch games, I think Twisted Metal: Head-On and Wipeout Pure are my two main reasons to own a PSP. Of course, I can't afford one at the moment...and I want to purchase a DS first. But PSP is definitely on the list for me, especially as better games come out (and hopefully quality issues will be further resolved down the line).[/color][/quote]

When you do finally get a PSP, definitely make sure that Lumines is one of the games you pick up with it. Wipeout Pure is fantastic and I'm sure that Twisted Metal is okay too (once the wi-fi issues are resolved it will probably become even more popular), but Lumines is the one game that I keep coming back to. Without question, it's THE reason to own a PSP so far as current games are concerned. I'm terribly picky with puzzle titles and will only own an interest in two others: the original Tetris for GameBoy and Super Puzzle Fighter 2: Turbo. So the fact that I'm willing to endorse this game so enthusiastically means quite a bit.

[color=#D6A204]Yeah, Lumines is definitely on the list. I'm a big fan of Mizuguchi's games - Rez is one of my all-time favourites. So Lumines is a no-brainer for me really.

Now I just have to find the cash. ~_^[/color]

• 3 months later...
I've read a lot of cool stuff lately in the game department, but this one takes the cake. Internet capabilities for your PSP!
read this:[url]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/02/news_6130168.html?tag=lastword_psp_headline[/url]

There's a few things I have to say. When I entered my name into my PSP and some other things that required typed information, it took me forever to type a few words in. If I can access the internet, then it would take forever just to get to a site. So will they be making a mini keyboard or something?

~Wes~

hmm... you seem to be about 6 months behind the buzz.... Of course the PSP can go on the internet. Ive spent literally hours in school just browsing while teachers give lectures. Also, ive played online games on the PSP for hours. And after a while, you get used to typing things into the psp via its "keyboard" it hardly takes much time for me to type a message online with it...

[font=trebuchet ms]Correction, people have been using a bug in "WipeOut: Pure" to go on the internet. They also download emulators specifically for the PSP so they can take Chrono Trigger around with them, as some of my friends do. I don't know about any "keyboard," Andrew just seems to use it to look at porn.

It's good to know that Sony is wisening up with it's customers and giving them legally what they've been doing slightly illegally. Now maybe Square-Enix will re-release some of it's classics on the PSP so everyone can be happy, haha.[/font]

It's interesting, but I don't know how practical it is. Sony has some sites made just for it, but for the most part websites look rather bad. The PSP's resolution is far too low and most pages go way off the screen. The browser in 2.0 also just doesn't have enough RAM to properly cache things and constantly runs out of memory.

Maybe they'll fix it so Memory Sticks can store some of that, but as of right now it doesn't work that way.

Either way, it seems like a novelty at best as far as I'm concerned lol.

I recently read in Official Playstation Magazine about the lack of games for the PSP.The article in question discussed how the games that are coming out are mostly ports or crap. It got me thinking really. I wanted a PSP months ago when it launched but now I'm not entirely sure about it.

It does seem to be in a odd lull right now, with few good, original games and no current library to tide it over. The article also mentioned how the UMD movies were selling well but I can't imagine buying those just to take with you. It seems like a portable DVD player would be of better value. The music aspect doesn't really do much either. I would buy a PSP for the games and right now it seems like games are what the PSP is lacking.

So I suppose my question is for both owners of PSPs and those of us who didn't buy one. I want to know what you think of this situation. Are you happy with your systems, owners? What do you think of it's current game library? Or for those that don't own one, is this why? (The lack of games)

For me, I don't see anything on the horizon that looks interesting and nothing so far has really made me excited. I actually forgot the PSP came out.

I don't own one for multiple reasons. Lack of software is big(There are only 4 games I would buy by the holidays, and 3 are ports), but so is price. The unit and 4 games is $450. For a console that is fine, but a portable? Having a portable at the top of the price heap is hurting Sony immensely. I could buy an XBOX(the only current console I don't own) and 10 good games for $250, the PSP's unit price. There's a snowballs chance in hell that I'l own one before '07.

Well, I got a really good deal on one, although I haven't received it in the mail yet (value pack, 256 MB card, six games, three movies, screen guards, extra battery, etc)... so for me it was worth it, but for the general retail price? Not really. There are about six or seven games on it that I'd really be interested in, though. I suppose my main draw right now is the emulation possiblities, although oddly the SNES emulator for NDS supposedly works better... don't ask me why. I'm sure that'll change as development progresses, though.

I figured this was coming. For all intents and purposes, the PSP's E3 showing was very weak. In fact, it was part of the main complaints at E3 to begin with over several magazines and internet sites I go to. It surprised me, to be honest, particularly when some of these same sites were impressed with the DS's line-up at the show. I kind of figured it would be other way around.

I'm sure it will pick up, much like the DS is sort of starting to. With handhelds there always seems to be this lull shortly after launch while companies are finishing up games and then there's a sudden wave of a bunch of stuff.

Either way, there's games I'm looking forward to on the PSP, so I just suppose it's a question of where your priorities are. Personally, I'd be content with six solid titles to play the crap out of... but yeah, I suppose near future prospects are kind of disappointing.

[I][SIZE=1]Well I'm a PSP owner and I'm relatively happy with it. I mean ya sure I do have UMD vidoes, the quality is great the sound rocks, also you can download videos from the internet and play it back on your psp, which by the way is a plus for me. Even the mp3 audio is really great, so if I'm not playing a game I'm usually listening to music on it while I'm gone or watching some videos that I downloaded, like music videos or RedvsBlue episodes. There game library isn't relatively big at all( pretty much like the size of the games cubes at it's launch date) but there is a lot of good games that many people don't know about like Mercury for example. This game is very addictive and it will keep you busy for many hours, but basically all you do is get a ball of mercury throw a little maze thing by tilting it and if you hit blocks in the way it can split making it tougher because it all has to get to the end, also you sometimes control up to four blobs at a time and each is a different color, so you take the different colors to certaint areas to open up door ways to finish the level, it's really challenging too.

Also on the brightside if your like most people they use a little bug in the game wipe out pure to surf the internet like being on a computer, oh that also reminds me the online play rocks and there is very little lag if any at all. So to sum it up I think it rocks and I'm really happy with it for what I paid.[/SIZE][/I]